Thread: quality sleep?

Wannabebig Member

quality sleep?

Someone told me today that you should sleep before midnight because you get better "quality sleep," as oppose to sleeping the same amount of hours past 12. She said it had something to do with the alignment of the moon and erm other weird stuff...

Is this stuff true? Anyone else hear of this? Cause right now... I'm suffering from fatigue cause of this drug I'm taking so I'll try anything to combat the fatigue.

ive heard that sleeping 20min between 4pm - 6pm is the same as sleeping 4hours a night, due to the bodys internal clock, the chemical balances inside our body and the bdoys cycle. I dont know this is true though, just something that was mentioned at a course i was taking on combating fatigue.

We sleep in cycles of 20mins, so if you wake up during a cycle, you will feel ****ed, but if you wake up at the end of one, youll feel as fresh as ever. So you could try to experiment with different bed times.

and why would sleeping before midnight give you a better "quality sleep"?

MulletII - AKA Ninja Boner Gyno Rhino's Avatar
    Cent, yer wrong.

In no manner is 20min of sleep equivalent to 4 hours.

And we sleep in much longer cycles than 20 min, methinks. But still, MUCH more happens in sleep than your brain cleanin' the closet. Your entire body repairs itself.

MENTALLY, if you get a quick nap, you will probably feel a bit better after the nap. But it's very temporary. You probably won't sleep well that night, and it just feeds the vicious cycle after that.

The best thing you can do to feel refreshed and ready-to-go in life is to get a regular, natural sleep pattern. Don't break it.
    Founding Member and CEO of the FFFA

"All that matters is beauty on the inside! Outside beauty doesn't matter!"
    ~This is something ugly people say to feel better about themselves...

"Strength and size don't matter! It's not fair to judge training knowledge based on strength and size!"
    ~This is something wussy people say to feel better about themselves...

Pearls of Wisdom...

Resident Ninja Demon (with a pet Radioactive Sloth) and SchlonkeyMaster of WBB!

Rock is my 'Big Viking Brother', and not in a homo-esque way.

And no COLON jokes, bastards!

I have actually heard that sleeping before midnight is supposed to be 'better' for you.. don't ask me why?

I just try and sleep just before 12 midnight and get between 7-9 hours.. any less and you'll feel rough, any more and its no good either - too much...
    I'm not moaning, i'm having an opinion.

Banned
    I have heard that about sleeping before midnight as well, but I do not necessarily buy it. True or not, picking an exact time such as midnight is preposterous because everyone is on different sleeping schedules. Midnight might be true for someone who wakes up by 7 or 8 every morning, but not for someone who sleeps until noon.

Originally posted by Gyno Rhino
    Cent, yer wrong.

In no manner is 20min of sleep equivalent to 4 hours.

And we sleep in much longer cycles than 20 min, methinks. But still, MUCH more happens in sleep than your brain cleanin' the closet. Your entire body repairs itself.

MENTALLY, if you get a quick nap, you will probably feel a bit better after the nap. But it's very temporary. You probably won't sleep well that night, and it just feeds the vicious cycle after that.

The best thing you can do to feel refreshed and ready-to-go in life is to get a regular, natural sleep pattern. Don't break it.
    mkay cool. that just something they told me at the security guard course i took. i think they were refering to "powernaps".

btw, how long is the sleeping cycle?

I think they were telling you not to sleep on the job.

It may be due to circadium rythmn.
    "Geordie/'d3c:di/n. & adj. Brit colloq. n. 1 a native of Tyneside. 2 the dialect spoken on Tyneside. adj. of or relating to Tyneside, its people, or its dialect. [the name George + -IE]

Banned
    That's what I was referring to CD. Circadian rhythm is your body's internal clock, so it's going to be different for everyone depending on one's lifestyle.

Wannabebig Member
    The person who told me this said that it had something to do with the way the moon aligns with the earth before midnight. I guess it might have something to do with magnetic forces? Like tides or something.... so she said it has nothing to do with our bodys clock.

I dunno if I believe this... but it might not hurt to try...

MulletII - AKA Ninja Boner Gyno Rhino's Avatar
    I'd imagine it has more to down with the light coming through windows than it does magnetic fields.
    Founding Member and CEO of the FFFA

"All that matters is beauty on the inside! Outside beauty doesn't matter!"
    ~This is something ugly people say to feel better about themselves...

"Strength and size don't matter! It's not fair to judge training knowledge based on strength and size!"
    ~This is something wussy people say to feel better about themselves...

Pearls of Wisdom...

Resident Ninja Demon (with a pet Radioactive Sloth) and SchlonkeyMaster of WBB!

Rock is my 'Big Viking Brother', and not in a homo-esque way.

And no COLON jokes, bastards!

I know I dont sleep well after a certain time in the morning, 9 or 10am or so. So if I go to bed after 1 or 2 I know Im not going to get a solid 8 hours...
    "We fight our battles, we wage our wars, we settle the score, with honor and blood" - Atreyu

Dontate to my favorite charity!

If you really want to know about sleep, read these:
    http://www.abcbodybuilding.com/magazine/zfactor.htm
    http://www.abcbodybuilding.com/anatomy/zfactor2.htm

As for the sleep cycles, according to that article they last for between 90-110 minutes, alternating throug different phases throughout. These cycles keep repeating until you wake up.
    Apparently it doesn't matter when you go to sleep, as long as you wake up at the same time each morning, and try to get 8+ hours of sleep (for a bodybuilder). If you keep waking up at the same time each morning, your body gets used to it.
    "I'm gonna die with a dumbell in my hand." - stpatrick44

Age: 18 | Height: 5'10" | Weight: 80kgs (176lbs) | BF%: dunno
    --
    BB Bench 1 x 110kgs (242lbs) | Deadlift: 135kgs (300lbs) x 2 | Current Routine: Bodybuilding