Thread: Proper Deadlift form

Proper Deadlift form

I have seen some forms that look real rough and some that look fairly proper, but could you guys tell me what the proper deadlift form is? I'd prefer not to injure my back anymore than my horrible form has done so far.

Keep you back flat, don't arch it, don't pull your shoulders forward. You can start with your hips relatively high, or relatively low, different heights incorporate different muscles more. Make sure you're continuesly moving, not extend your legs some pause half way through and pull back with your back. Keep your feet flat, push through your heels. The biggest thing to remember is probably keeping your shoulders back throughout the lift and not arching your back.
    accuflex - LOLZZZZ!!!11one1!! SOEM PPL WORK THRE ARMZ!!!!11!! LETS KILL THEM111

"You can fake effort with grunts and clanging weights but quiet, consistent hard work coupled with gradual strength increases earns universal respect in gyms" - Steve Colescott

I'd rather Situation be a member of this board. -Joey54

Can't stop this train from rolling
    You can't take it down
    No, never stop this locomotion, on and on and on
    No, you can't bring me down 'cause I'm

Better than you

Gaglione Strength Chris Rodgers's Avatar
    Behemoth- what was that explanation?? Is that how you deadlift? The best thing to do is learn from someone who knows what they are doing in person. The only thing is how do you know that person knows what they are talking about. Keep them very light until it feels right. Read:

http://www.testosterone.net/articles/194dead.html
    Best Meet Lifts(Raw w/wraps):
    @165- 435 SQ 270 BE 560 DL.....1255 total
    @181- 535 SQ 300 BE 570 DL.....1400 total
    Best Meet Lifts(Multi-ply):
    @148- 575 SQ 315 BE 515 DL.....1400 total
    @165- 680 SQ 380 BE 540 DL.....1555 total
    @181- 700 SQ 375 BE 535 DL.....1605 total
    Best Gym Lifts(Raw w/wraps)
    545 SQ 305 BE 585 DL

Of the driver ilk
    To sum it up, round your upper back, arch your lower back, and use your back when lifting! They may say to "lift with your legs" when picking up heavy objects, but tell that to 800lbs deadlifters, they are fine and they have been lifting with their backs.
    "42"

People wonder why I call myself Mr. T. One dude asked, 'does the T stand for tough?' I said no. Another dude asked if the T stands for my last name, Tureaud. No it does not. The 'T' in Mr. T stands for tuna. T loves tuna.

Yeah my description sucked, I think I was really tired when I wrote that. But thanks for the article latty, I thought my form was decent, but perhaps I still need work.

One thing I'm a little confused on though. I've heard from this site that you want to be pulling back with your shoulders throughout the lift and not having them pulled together in the front like your flexing your pecs. But the article says to "round your upper back" how exactly do you round your upper back without letting your shoulders drift forwards in front of the bar?

Also, when he says arch your lower back, he means an arch like your sticking out your belly right? I never knew to arch your lower back before, I thought you wanted the whole thing near flat.
    accuflex - LOLZZZZ!!!11one1!! SOEM PPL WORK THRE ARMZ!!!!11!! LETS KILL THEM111

"You can fake effort with grunts and clanging weights but quiet, consistent hard work coupled with gradual strength increases earns universal respect in gyms" - Steve Colescott

I'd rather Situation be a member of this board. -Joey54

Gaglione Strength Chris Rodgers's Avatar
    Stand up and leave your hands down as if you were going to grip the bar for deads. Now pull your shoulder blades together tight as if you were benching. Your hands should raise. This means you have to pull the bar farther. Now if you actually round your upper back over your hands move down further, therefore decreasing the ROM. Arch the lower back(think chest up/butt back), take in air and push your abs into the belt. Get down there and rip that shiat up!!
    Best Meet Lifts(Raw w/wraps):
    @165- 435 SQ 270 BE 560 DL.....1255 total
    @181- 535 SQ 300 BE 570 DL.....1400 total
    Best Meet Lifts(Multi-ply):
    @148- 575 SQ 315 BE 515 DL.....1400 total
    @165- 680 SQ 380 BE 540 DL.....1555 total
    @181- 700 SQ 375 BE 535 DL.....1605 total
    Best Gym Lifts(Raw w/wraps)
    545 SQ 305 BE 585 DL