Thread: Refeed

Refeed

I'm gonna start my first refeed tomorrow. I'm around 12-14% bodyfat and going to be doing it for 48 hours. What sort of foods should I eat. I'm also 5'8 and about 154-156lbs. I'm going to be eating around 2600Kcals. I just need to know what kind of foods I should be eating and how many carbs/pro/fat I should be eating.

the stone cold stunner Ironman8's Avatar
    Well, sugary cereals in the morning (best part of refeed ). Then, complex as well as some simple carbs throughout the day. Get some fruit and veggie in there as well. Remember, reffeed does not mean cheat. Eat clean.
    You kill me in a dream, you better wake up and apologize....

Banned
    All I know about refeeds is keep protein moderate and fat very low.

Workout

Ok, since I plan on starting tomorrow morning with the refeed should I workout tomorrow? If I do anything it will be cardio as my weight room is closed and my lifting schedule is a monday, wednesday, friday using wannabebig routine 1. I wasn't planning on doing anything tomorrow and running ~4 miles on sunday. So basically what I'm asking is it wise to do cardio both days while on the refeed or will I be fine resting tomorrow?

Originally posted by Ironman8
    Well, sugary cereals in the morning (best part of refeed ). Then, complex as well as some simple carbs throughout the day. Get some fruit and veggie in there as well. Remember, reffeed does not mean cheat. Eat clean.
    Ya I know to eat clean, but what foods are good to eat early on...specific examples and what foods are better for later in the day? I plan on having around 6 meals if allowable at around 500Kcals/meal. My parents are visiting me at school tomorrow...so I'm sure they will take me out to dinner. So tomorrow I'm going to shoot for 4 meals 2 at 500Kcals and 2 at around 1000Kcals.

Banned
    The refeeds are supposed to be centered around your workouts. Maybe you should just hold off for a couple of days before you do one.

That link Bradley gave has lots of examples of what types of food you can eat.

Did you read the article I posted? All the questions that you are asking are addressed there.

Thanks for that article Bradley. One of the most useful things I've read in quite some time.
    But would you guys agree with the refeed frequency they suggest...

Refeed Duration/Frequency

Bodyfat Percentage Refeed Duration Refeed Frequency
    > 20% 24-48 hrs 7-10 days
    15-20% 24-48 hrs 5 days
    < 15% 48 hrs 4 days
    < 10% 48-72 hrs 3 days

This would mean that as you get sub 10% bodyfat, you would eat below maintence 3 days, then refeed 3 days, then repeat. Seems a bit much to me, but I really don't know much on this subject...?
    Last edited by Behemoth; 04-05-2003 at 11:13 AM.
    accuflex - LOLZZZZ!!!11one1!! SOEM PPL WORK THRE ARMZ!!!!11!! LETS KILL THEM111

"You can fake effort with grunts and clanging weights but quiet, consistent hard work coupled with gradual strength increases earns universal respect in gyms" - Steve Colescott

I'd rather Situation be a member of this board. -Joey54

Found these and hopefully they might help and the last is a link to an old thread that might be of interest.

http://groups.google.com/groups?q=re...onr.com&rnum=2

http://groups.google.com/groups?q=re...onr.com&rnum=3

http://www.wannabebigforums.com/show...feed+frequency

From what I gather you can do shorter more frequent refeeds or longer less frequent refeeds. In one of the above threads Lyle refers to his refeeds as a mega TKD. Scheduling a 5 hour refeed around his training.

Out of all the stuff I've read it never really says why to keep the fat so low? Is it because your going to be consuming so many simple carbs that your insulin will very going crazy. Making for easy fat storage?

"You can fake effort with grunts and clanging weights but quiet, consistent hard work coupled with gradual strength increases earns universal respect in gyms" - Steve Colescott

Yep. You don't want free fatty acids in the bloodstream in the presence of insulin b/c they will be very likely to be stored as fat.
    You can't babysit this.

Originally posted by Behemoth
    Out of all the stuff I've read it never really says why to keep the fat so low? Is it because your going to be consuming so many simple carbs that your insulin will very going crazy. Making for easy fat storage?
    Most of the refeed benefits are associated with increased carb intake, not increased fat intake. You get higher leptin levels with the same calories by lowering fat intake during refeeds. Quoting the article at http://www.t-mag.com/nation_articles/body_230cheat.html

"It's important to note, however, that the physiological benefits mentioned above are only noticeable when an abundance of carbohydrate is taken in during the "cheat." In one particular study, ten healthy females were overfed on either fat or carbohydrates. In the carb group, there was an acute 28% increase in serum leptin levels. (Again, these are increased levels from baseline; leptin levels associated with severe dieting are far below baseline.) However, the Fat group didn't experience any significant change in plasma leptin concentration (1). "

In addition eating a lot of fat while being in a caloric surplus can result in fat gain. Carb intake is less likely to result in fat gain since your gylcogen levels are low at the start of the refeed. In the interview on this site, Lyle Mcdonald says

"So, when you're depleted of glycogen, as you should be going into the refeed, you can really get away with a huge carb intake before you get into trouble with fat gain. If you figure glycogen storage at nearly 10 g/kg over 24 hours (so that 650+ grams for a little guy like me) plus daily caloric requirements (say 2000 cal/day, which is another 500 grams of carbs), that's a ridiculous amount of carbs before you get into real problems with fat storage.

In contrast, the body's ability to increase fat burning (oxidation) in response to increased fat intake is not only small, but it's delayed, takes at least a few days under the best conditions. So a high fat intake over the short-term *can* lead to significant fat gain. "
    Last edited by aka23; 04-06-2003 at 06:16 AM.

Well then why consume fat at all in that day? Having one day with very very low fat wouldn't really fook with your hormonal profile would it?

Essential fats such as omega-3s and CLA should probably be the only "intentional" fat during the reefed, maybe some flax too 14 grams or 1 tablespoon.
    Taken from:http://musclemonthly.com/articles/01...wz-it-work.htm

Basically get some EFA's and try and keep fat at a minimum during the rest of the refeed. Of course more than likely you will have some "incidental" fat from the carb sources you are consuming during the refeed.

the stone cold stunner Ironman8's Avatar
    Ok, I have a question. Since you said you should keep fat low on refeed days due to your insulin, does this mean you should keep fat low when your blood sugar is too low? I mean, if your REALLY hungry, and you wanna eat something, should I keep the fat low so I won't gain weight?
    You kill me in a dream, you better wake up and apologize....

When I did my refeeds all of my fat was basically incidental. I didn't take any flax etc. All the fat came incedentally from my carbs and protein.
    "It is often said, mainly by the "no-contests", that although there is no positive evidence for the existence of God, nor is there evidence against his existence. So it is best to keep an open mind and be agnostic. At first sight that seems an unassailable position, at least in the weak sense of Pascal's wager. But on second thought it seems a cop-out, because the same could be said of Father Christmas and tooth fairies. There may be fairies at the bottom of the garden. There is no evidence for it, but you can't prove that there aren't any, so shouldn't we be agnostic with respect to fairies?"

Richard Dawkins

"Out of all of the sects in the world, we notice an uncanny coincidence: the overwhelming majority just happen to choose the one that their parents belong to. Not the sect that has the best evidence in its favour, the best miracles, the best moral code, the best cathedral, the best stained glass, the best music: when it comes to choosing from the smorgasbord of available religions, their potential virtues seem to count for nothing, compared to the matter of heredity. This is an unmistakable fact; nobody could seriously deny it. Yet people with full knowledge of the arbitrary nature of this heredity, somehow manage to go on believing in their religion, often with such fanaticism that they are prepared to murder people who follow a different one."

Richard Dawkins

"Bah. You know I hate poor people."

Paul Stagg

Ok, yes I did read the article Bradley posted, but in the article it does not say which type of foods (i.e. High GI, Low GI, High Insulin, or Low Insulin) to eat at what parts of the day. This is what I need know. All the article has is a listing of foods...

Originally posted by Khar
    Ok, yes I did read the article Bradley posted, but in the article it does not say which type of foods (i.e. High GI, Low GI, High Insulin, or Low Insulin) to eat at what parts of the day. This is what I need know. All the article has is a listing of foods...
    Taken from the above mentioned article:
    Carbs should come from simple sources, e.g. Sucrose, Glucose, Fructose, Maltodextrin, etc.
    Refilling liver glycogen is important during the refeed, so try to take some Fructose at each meal, e.g. Bananas, Grapes, Pineapple, Dried Apricots.

Take simple carbs at each meal, and switch to starchy carbs for the last few meals of the day if desired (If a 1-day refeed), or simple carbs one day, and starchy carbs the next (If 2-day).