Page 1 of 8 123 ... LastLast

Thread: My body hates me...and you too!

My body hates me...and you too!

April 6th, 2003

DAY 0

Ramblings
    Tomorrow I rededicate myself to a goal I've long held, but never reached; to hit 10% bodyfat. I've been dieting since f*cking forever. Since joining WBB a little over a year ago, approximately 10 months of that time has been spent dieting, only 2 months bulking. And I'm still (relatively speaking) a fat-ass. Something is seriously f*cking wrong with this picture. I have no one to blame but myself. While I've certainly put in a good deal of work, I always manage to sabotage myself by f*cking up in one way or another. I'm hoping the little 'WBB Cutting Contest' is enough motivation for me to get my sh*t together.

Since I'm still using Lyle McDonald's program, which I'm disallowed from discussing here, I'll unfortunately have to be quite vague as I was in my last 'journal' (though I hesitate to call it that) Also, I'm quite busy at the moment as I've got an internship and am working part-time as a personal trainer. So, I don't know how much time I'll have to dedicate to this journal. Hopefully, my entries won't be too infrequent, though.

Anyway, here are my main failings at present, which I hope to remedy:
    [list=1][*]Going overboard during my refeeds
    My last refeed I ate somewhere in the vicinity of 1500g of carbs in 36 hours. That's 6000kcal BEFORE you even consider fat (which I've been pretty good about) or protein. Total calories were probably around 7000-8000kcal. I'm a firm believer in refeeds. And in making them big. But not this big. I'm hoping to reduce my carb intake over this 36 hour period to about 900g or so. Also, I want to keep my fat and fructose intake lower.
    [*]Eating too many carbs on my dieting days
    This one's difficult given that I'm training fairly high-volume part of the time, and I feel like absolute sh*t on low carbs. I can't concentrate and I can't sleep. If I'm required to do either, what I often do is say 'F*ck it.' and eat some carbs. I dunno that there's a real good solution to this problem. I do want to hit 10%bf, but I still need to function. Previously, before I started f*cking off with my diet, I'd eat a bunch of sugar free Jello or something to try and curb my cravings. Seemed to work okay. I need to get back to that, rather than having a handful of cookies.
    [*]Eating sh*ttily and too much on my maintenance days.
    On my diet, I have a number of days where I'm not required to 'diet' per se. Per Lyle's description, one can sorta relax about things. For me, this isn't an option. I have to put myself in the mindset that these are as much hypocaloric days as the true 'dieting' days. Otherwise, I allow myself too much leeway and end up eating too much. I may even start using EC on these days if it seems like I can't get my sh*t together.[/list=1]

It begins tomorrow.

We tend to think of Sisyphus as a tragic hero, condemned by the gods to shoulder his rock sweatily up the mountain, and again up the mountain, forever. The truth is that Sisyphus is in love with the rock. He cherishes every roughness and every ounce of it. He talks to it, sings to it. It has become the mysterious Other. He even dreams of it as he sleepwalks upward. Life is unimaginable without it, looming always above him like a huge gray moon. He doesn’t realize that at any moment he is permitted to step aside, let the rock hurtle to the bottom, and go home.

Parables and Portraits, Stephen Mitchell

Banned

Re: My body hates me...and you too!

Originally posted by Blood&Iron
    April 6th, 2003
    [*]Eating too many carbs on my dieting days
    This one's difficult given that I'm training fairly high-volume part of the time, and I feel like absolute sh*t on low carbs. I can't concentrate and I can't sleep. If I'm required to do either, what I often do is say 'F*ck it.' and eat some carbs. I dunno that there's a real good solution to this problem. I do want to hit 10%bf, but I still need to function. Previously, before I started f*cking off with my diet, I'd eat a bunch of sugar free Jello or something to try and curb my cravings. Seemed to work okay. I need to get back to that, rather than having a handful of cookies.

Clearly it would be best if you could stick to your diet perfectly, but if you cannot, and you must have carbs, why not just have some low GI carbs like oats or yams instead of filling up on cookies? The worst part about cookies is that a) they are delicious and b) they are not filling. Therefore, before you know it, you've completely overdone it and sabotaged your diet. A cup of oatmeal should do a decent job of filling you up and tastes decent as well.

Good luck in reaching 10% B&I!
    Last edited by Vido; 04-06-2003 at 09:27 PM.

I actually had the impression that you were doing great, so I'm sorry to see that you feel this way. Your dedication has always been impressive at least to me. Good luck on the re-dedication to getting to 10%, you can't be that far off by now so I know it won't take too much longer.

Me /pwn1ng by Xian Rookie's journal Rookie's Picture Thread

Damn right you will be! We don't mess around down here. Liquor and Steel, that's what we're all about -Casey

ROFL, oh man - I usually wait until I'm on the freeway to do that. What an idiot! -teufy doing what he does best.

You aren't strong enough or pretty enough to train in the evenings with us...better stick to noon workouts with the rest of the geriatrics. - pup

Yeah. I'm a dork. - Teufy

Better yet, "why should anyone's interpretation of divinity govern modern society?" - Twilo

Re: Re: My body hates me...and you too!

Originally posted by Vido

Clearly it would be best if you could stick to your diet perfectly, but if you cannot, and you must have carbs, why not just have some low GI carbs like oats or yams instead of filling up on cookies? The worst part about cookies is that a) they are delicious and b) they are not filling. Therefore, before you know it, you've completely overdone it and sabotaged your diet. A cup of oatmeal should do a decent job of filling you up and tastes decent as well.
    For the most part I'm of the calories in v. calories out school and don't place too much importance no GI/II, but the two points you bring up are good ones.

Unfortunately, like many staples of a standard BB'ing diet, I can't f*cking stand oatmeal; I've eaten too much of it. At the beginning of my diet, I was doing something similar to this, eating 1 cup of Puffed Kashi with a bit of milk (which has even fewer carbs than a bowl of oatmeal) when I really had bad carb cravings. I don't gorge on cookies or anything, but I do probably end up eating a few more carbs (along with a bit of added fat) when I eat them rather than eating something a bit more healthful.

Good luck in reaching 10% B&I!
    Thanks.

We tend to think of Sisyphus as a tragic hero, condemned by the gods to shoulder his rock sweatily up the mountain, and again up the mountain, forever. The truth is that Sisyphus is in love with the rock. He cherishes every roughness and every ounce of it. He talks to it, sings to it. It has become the mysterious Other. He even dreams of it as he sleepwalks upward. Life is unimaginable without it, looming always above him like a huge gray moon. He doesn’t realize that at any moment he is permitted to step aside, let the rock hurtle to the bottom, and go home.

Originally posted by rookiebldr
    I actually had the impression that you were doing great, so I'm sorry to see that you feel this way. Your dedication has always been impressive at least to me. Good luck on the re-dedication to getting to 10%, you can't be that far off by now so I know it won't take too much longer.
    I do felt I've been doing well, I'm just prone to comparing my progress to that of others (which, of course, is stupid), and in doing so sometimes get discouraged. I'm probably still looking about the best I ever have, so that's not nothing.

Hopefully you're right and it won't be too much longer. That's the point of rededicating myself, and trying to cut out the little things I've been slacking on. I think the absence of a journal has been one impediment, that's why I'm gonna try to do what I can (given the restrictions which come with using Lyle's diet) to keep this one up to date. It really makes you realize when you're f*cking off.

Anyway, thanks.

Anyway, here are my main failings at present, which I hope to remedy:
    I reckon you can add refeeding to frequently when it was unnecessary, to that list.

I think you'd do better by actually planning a diet to follow each week and then just following it and making amendments as you get leaner (and lighter).

If you don't like oats, then sweet potato is great.
    "Geordie/'d3c:di/n. & adj. Brit colloq. n. 1 a native of Tyneside. 2 the dialect spoken on Tyneside. adj. of or relating to Tyneside, its people, or its dialect. [the name George + -IE]

Re: Re: My body hates me...and you too!

Originally posted by The_Chicken_Daddy

I reckon you can add refeeding to frequently when it was unnecessary, to that list.
    It's a set schedule as designed by Lyle. So I'm refeeding exactly as frequently as I'm supposed to. They may be a bit high in carbs, though--even that's debateable, given that they are only 30 hours or so and any excess calories should be burned off.

I think you'd do better by actually planning a diet to follow each week and then just following it and making amendments as you get leaner (and lighter).
    You might be right, although I've been pretty much eating the same thing every day. But I plan on dropping one or two 'extra' things that may be a bit above what I should be eating. Plus, I am trying to the advice Lyle gave me when he posted in my journal and not be too anal. Of course, I think I've gone a bit too far in the other direction. I have to find some place in the middle.

If you don't like oats, then sweet potato is great.
    Too many carbs in a sweet potato. I could only eat like two bites.

Dude, I'm gonna break you in half. Pffttt I aint feeling one bit sorry for your ass.

You're going down.
    Maki Fit Blog

At Large: Optimize Your Body | Dynamic Conditioning |
    My articles on Wannabebig

"Soli Deo Gloria"
    "Test all things; hold fast what is good.": 1 Thessalonians 5:21

"I do not understand what I do. For what I want to do I do not do, but what I hate I do. And if I do what I do not want to do, I agree that the law is good. As it is, it is no longer I myself who do it, but it is sin living in me. I know that nothing good lives in me, that is, in my sinful nature. For I have the desire to do what is good, but I cannot carry it out. For what I do is not the good I want to do; no, the evil I do not want to do--this I keep on doing. Now if I do what I do not want to do, it is no longer I who do it, but it is sin living in me that does it.
    So I find this law at work: When I want to do good, evil is right there with me. For in my inner being I delight in God's law; but I see another law at work in the members of my body, waging war against the law of my mind and making me a prisoner of the law of sin at work within my members. What a wretched man I am! Who will rescue me from this body of death? Thanks be to God--through Jesus Christ our Lord!"
    Romans 7:14-25

"Judo is not about strength. Yet in the learning curve, all Judokas get strong. Only with time do you learn where to apply that strength."
    The Art of Judo

LOL, I just wanted to pop in and say good luck with the cutting and that I love the title of your journal.

Even though you ain't new, its a new journal nonetheless so,

What is elite?
    "Those who work the hardest often complain the least." -anonymous
    Pain is inevitable. Suffering is optional.

Ok, how about this, form what I have seen here, Lyle's diet has not taken you to where you want to be. If that is so, and you have been doing it for 10 friggin months, I think you need to change. What I think you should do is go to a more standard diet. Start at a level of your choosing calorie-wise, and then reduce slowly from there. Give yourself 1 day out of every 7 where you eat whatever you want. Make the diet low in fat, high in protein, and definitely include a fair amount of carbs. That sort of diet has worked for untold thousands of bodybuilders over the years. Give it a go, you won't have these carb issues and you will most likely reach your goal.

Originally posted by chris mason
    Ok, how about this, form what I have seen here, Lyle's diet has not taken you to where you want to be. If that is so, and you have been doing it for 10 friggin months, I think you need to change. What I think you should do is go to a more standard diet. Start at a level of your choosing calorie-wise, and then reduce slowly from there. Give yourself 1 day out of every 7 where you eat whatever you want. Make the diet low in fat, high in protein, and definitely include a fair amount of carbs. That sort of diet has worked for untold thousands of bodybuilders over the years. Give it a go, you won't have these carb issues and you will most likely reach your goal.
    That's pretty much the diet I was using previously--from January of last year until about September( (minus my two month bulk in June/July). I wasn't able to achieve my goal then either--though I did get fairly lean (for me) and I think, in most cases, that's probably just as good an approach as any. I've only been using Lyle's diet for 4-5 months, and I am leaner and bigger than I've ever been before, so I'm sticking with it for now. I've had the same general class of issues crop up with any diet I've tried. Mostly it comes down to crappy will-power. Hopefully, I'll be able to remedy that problem this time around. Guess, we'll see.

Thanks for the advice, nonetheless.

Originally posted by HomeYield
    LOL, I just wanted to pop in and say good luck with the cutting and that I love the title of your journal.

Even though you ain't new, its a new journal nonetheless so,

As Rock would say:
    Mange takk ska du ha!

Thanks.

BTW, I'm assuming you realized I stole the title (well, the first part anyway) from Lyle. It's a bit of a cliche with him, but I think it gets a good point across.

Originally posted by Maki Riddington
    Dude, I'm gonna break you in half. Pffttt I aint feeling one bit sorry for your ass.

You're going down.
    Probably.

It'll sorta be like beating a paraplegic at the 100m dash.

Hope you're proud of yourself.

Originally posted by chris mason
    Chris, it may sound reasonable, but i don't think the lad has the right sort of body type or metabolism for it.

I'd say go iso or as close enough to it.
    "Geordie/'d3c:di/n. & adj. Brit colloq. n. 1 a native of Tyneside. 2 the dialect spoken on Tyneside. adj. of or relating to Tyneside, its people, or its dialect. [the name George + -IE]

Well if this means you will be more participative in the journal world then this is very much good news.

Comparing yourself to others? Sounds like something alot of us do, including moi. Easy to say don't, difficult to do otherwise. So good luck with resisting the urge and focusing on your own progress.

*waits for daily journal update*

Me /pwn1ng by Xian Rookie's journal Rookie's Picture Thread

Damn right you will be! We don't mess around down here. Liquor and Steel, that's what we're all about -Casey

ROFL, oh man - I usually wait until I'm on the freeway to do that. What an idiot! -teufy doing what he does best.

You aren't strong enough or pretty enough to train in the evenings with us...better stick to noon workouts with the rest of the geriatrics. - pup

Yeah. I'm a dork. - Teufy

Better yet, "why should anyone's interpretation of divinity govern modern society?" - Twilo

Hey B&I, good to see you are rededicating yourself to a new journal and have some problem areas figured out. I can relate about comparing yourself to others - reading journals like Belial's and HomeYield's can be a bit disheartning when compared to more "normal" progress.

Any idea when you can start sharing some more info about this mystery diet? Is Lyle going to be releasing another pamphlet or something about it?

Originally posted by fuzz
    Hey B&I, good to see you are rededicating yourself to a new journal and have some problem areas figured out. I can relate about comparing yourself to others - reading journals like Belial's and HomeYield's can be a bit disheartning when compared to more "normal" progress.
    Tell me about it. I rarely read other journals (other than a couple) for that very reason. They just make me depressed.

Any idea when you can start sharing some more info about this mystery diet? Is Lyle going to be releasing another pamphlet or something about it?
    No idea. To be honest, you could probably piece together a fair bit (though not in any great detail) of it if you look carefully enough on MFW (where I know he's posted the basic outline) and rereading all of my posts.

As far as I'm aware, it's still going to be the subject of his next book. That could've changed, though. I haven't been keeping up with the message boards(Lyle posts a bit at the Avant site currently) or MFW and I haven't corresponded with Lyle since beginning the diet.

BTW, nice sig.
    WALTER
    YOU SEE WHAT HAPPENS, LARRY!

CRASH! He swings the crowbar into the windshield, which
    shatters.

WALTER
    YOU SEE WHAT HAPPENS?!

CRASH! He takes out the driver's window.

WALTER
    THIS IS WHAT HAPPENS WHEN YOU F*CK A
    STRANGER IN THE ASS!

Lights are going on in houses down the street. Distant dogs
    bark.

WALTER
    HERE'S WHAT HAPPENS, LARRY!

CRASH!

WALTER
    HERE'S WHAT HAPPENS! F*CK A STRANGER
    IN THE A*S!

CRASH!

A man in a sleeveless T-shirt and boxer shorts has run over
    behind Walter and grabbed him from behind on a backswing of
    the crowbar.

MAN
    WHAT THE F*CK JOO DOING, MANG?!

He wrestles the crowbar away from the startled Walter.

MAN
    I JUS' BAWDEEZ F*CKEEN CAR LASS WEEK!

April 7th, 2003: Day 1

Ramblings
    I'm back.

As I've already mentioned, I'm still not at liberty to discuss my dieting or training in any sort of detail. But, I'm gonna try to put in enough detail that this thing is useful to me (which is the main point).

Training:
    Chest/Back/Shoulders

Comments:
    Did a better job than I have of moving quickly between exercises (this was aided by the fact I didn't use my straps at all) Also, while I'd normally do a shoulder/arm workout tomorrow evening, I kicked in 'em so I can get in and out of the gym a bit quicker than normal tomorrow evening (still have to finish taking care of my taxes). When I do legs, I'm almost incapacitated and feel very nauseated. Chest/back doesn't have that effect normally (mostly due to excessive resting) but this workout I came fairly close.

Diet
    How far off I was from my targets:

• Kcal: -150kcal
      Carbs: +9g
      Protein: -40g
      Fat: +4g

Total Water Intake: 48oz

Comments:
    Not bad. Considering, I had to drive home from work just to get a protein bar and I had to go out and buy a wok (long story) before I could make my dinner, I think it's pretty damn good. I do need to get my water intake up, though--at least to 64oz.

Supplements
    • Ephedrine: 62.5mg
      Norephedrine: 600mg
      Caffeine(not including soda):800mg
      Yohimbine HCL: 18mg
      FL7: 6 squirts
      Ester C: 2g
      Vitamin E: 400IU
      Zinc/Copper: 30mg/30mcg
      Magnesium 400mg
      Glutamine: 10g
      Creatine: 2.5g
      CLA: 6g
      Fish oil: 6g
      Multi-vitamin: 1/2 dose
      Selenium: 200mcg

Dosage Timing:
    Good. EC/NYC every 3 hours or so. FL7 applications 12 hours apart. Vitamins, CLA, and fish oil with meals. Zinc+mageneisum prior to bed.

Comments:
    Pretty solid on the supplement front.

Sleep
    7 hours.

Comments:
    Not enough. Would like at least 8 hours, but given my current schedule that's probably going to be the exception.
    Last edited by Blood&Iron; 04-08-2003 at 06:55 PM.

How long you been on FL7 for? and have you noticed much difference?

I plan to use it for the two weeks following my metabolic rest week - first week with maintenance calories and second week below maintenance.

Do tell.

*gets giddy*

How long you been on FL7 for? and have you noticed much difference?

I plan to use it for the two weeks following my metabolic rest week - first week with maintenance calories and second week below maintenance.

Do tell.

*gets giddy*
    Dunno. Unfortunately, there are too many confounding variables for me to really say for sure. Seems to be working.

I've been using it for 2-3 months.

Sorry I can't be of more help.

April 8th, 2003: Day 2

Ramblings
    Had my bodyfat tested. Here are the figures:
    Tri - 14.5mm
    Subscap - 25mm
    Chest - 10.5mm
    Thigh - 21mm
    Ab - 20mm
    Supra - 13.5mm

Which gives 16.1% bodyfat

Using the three point equation, it comes out to 14.5%. I would be disappointed but I had no expectations going into this bf% test. I've largely given up on them. Visually, I think this is about as lean as I've ever been--my lowest caliper test put me at 13.8%. Oh well. On the bright side, I'm pretty happy with how I look currently, so 10% will look incredible.

I might have some pictures taken this weekend for the 'WBB Cutting Contest' If so, I'll probably post them here.

Training:
    AM: Legs/Abs
    PM: Biceps/Triceps/Forearms + 30min Cardio

Comments:
    Both workouts were pretty decent.

Diet
    How far off I was from my targets:

• Kcal: -180kcal
      Carbs: +10g
      Protein: -35g
      Fat: +2g

Total Water Intake: 48oz

Comments:
    I'll try to get my protein intake up a little. Also, I still need to drink more water.

Supplements
    • Ephedrine: 75mg
      Norephedrine: 600mg
      Caffeine(not including soda):800mg
      Yohimbine HCL: 36mg
      FL7: 6 squirts
      Ester C: 2g
      Vitamin E: 400IU
      Zinc/Copper: 30mg/30mcg
      Magnesium 400mg
      Glutamine: 10g
      Creatine: 5g
      CLA: 6g
      Fish oil: 6g
      Multi-vitamin: 1/2 dose
      Selenium: 200mcg
      In-Rage (intra-oral 5AA) 16 squirts

Dosage Timing:
    Good.

Comments:
    Solid.

Sleep
    6.5 hours.

Comments:
    Need more sleep. Almost skipped my morning workout (I would have just combined the AM & PM sessions into one) but I decided that if I'm serious about this I can't let a little thing like lack of sleep slow me down.
    Last edited by Blood&Iron; 04-08-2003 at 08:06 PM.

In-Rage (intra-oral 5AA) 16 squirts

16 squirts?!

What type of dosing protocol are you employing?!

16 squirts?!

What type of dosing protocol are you employing?!
    The one on the bottle. 4 squirts 30min before activity. 4 squirts immediately before. I worked out twice yesterday.

Banned
    have you thought about supplementing with coleus forskohlii at all?

Ah righty. Twice a day, you ol' scamper, you.