The Five Biggest Contradictions in Fitness
Latest Article

The Five Biggest Contradictions in Fitness

Itís no secret that when people contradict themselves, it has the effect of making the flaws in their actions or statements seem glaringly obvious. But what about when WE ourselves get caught contradicting ourselves by someone else?

By: Nick Tumminello Added: January 6th, 2014
More Recent Articles
Contrast Training for Size
By: Lee Boyce
An Interview with Marianne Kane of Girls Gone Strong
By: Jordan Syatt
What Supplements Should I be Taking? By: Jay Wainwright
Bench Like a Girl By: Julia Ladewski
Some Thoughts on Building a Big Pull By: Christopher Mason

Facebook Join Facebook Group       Twitter Follow on Twitter       rss Subscribe via RSS
Page 1 of 161 1231151101 ... LastLast

Thread: Training Log

Training Log

Introduction

Current Stats
    Height -- 6'0"
    Weight -- 162.5lb (Measured on 4/6)
    Body Fat -- 4.2% (Measured last week at gym, pic in body fat thread of Training forum)

Goals
    I want to be 170lb and 5% fat. I hope to reach this goal by gaining approximately .5lb of muscle per week, without gaining much fat. I want to increase my strength and muscle size during this period, while maintaining or improving all aspects of my cardiovascular fitness.

Today's Training Log

Sleep
    I slept approximately 4.5 hours last night. I had trouble sleeping because I took a nap on Sunday; This was the first night sleeping in a new bed and new bedroom furniture arrangement; And I have not fully adjusted to day light savings. I hope to get more sleep tomorrow.

Weights
    No weight training. I may do some ab work later tonight.

Cardio
    Cycling -- Very low intensity, very long duration

Diet
    • 3200-3300 calories
    • Meal 1 - Large bowl Shredded Wheat with skim milk and cut up banana, red snapper fillet, a few peanuts
    • Meal 2 - Large bowl black beans mixed with brown rice, sweet potato, small serving chicken breast, grapes, a few peanuts
    • Meal 3 - Large bowl oatmeal, chicken breast, brown rice, 1 package green beans, apple, a few peanuts
    • Meal 4 - Grape Nuts with skim milk, 1 package brussel sprouts, 1 ear corn, cantalope
    • Snack 1 - Oatmeal, 1 package broccoli, a few peanuts
    • Snack 2 - SKIPPED

Supplements
    1g borage oil, 1g flax oil, 1g fish oil, 1 multivitamin/mineral (no iron)
    Last edited by aka23; 04-08-2003 at 03:59 AM.

2.    Support Wannabebig and use AtLarge Nutrition Supplements!

the stone cold stunner Ironman8's Avatar
    Awesome. Looking forward to reading more.
    You kill me in a dream, you better wake up and apologize....

Mystic Eric
    Kinda really low on protein don't you think?

Originally posted by Mystic Eric
    Kinda really low on protein don't you think?
    According to fitday.com , 26% of my calories came from protein yesterday. This is 197g protein or 1.2g/lb protein. Studies of amateur bodybuilders who are not on steroids rarely show any improved muscle building after reaching about 0.8g/lb. The excess protein usually either ends up used as fuel or stored as fat.
    Last edited by aka23; 04-08-2003 at 10:54 AM.

Mystic Eric
    I don't see how you got 197g of protein from that... I guess you're counting your non complete protein sources as well.

I am reporting the total that fitday.com lists. This total includes all sources of protein -- both complete and incomplete. Each of the four meals contains complete proteins that can combine with incomplete proteins. In addition, the incomplete proteins can combine with other incomplete proteins that have different amino acid profiles (for example beans+rice). These complementary amino acids do not need to be consumed in the same meal. In my opinion a person who eats a balanced diet with a good amount of protein from both complete and incomplete sources does not need be overly concerned about completeness, digestion, absorbtion, biological value, and other protein quality issues.

Today's Training Log

Sleep
    I slept approximately 3.5 hours last night. This is less sleep than I have had in any other night during 2003. I am concerned about my poor sleep over the past two days. If things do not improve soon, I may consult a doctor or try an over the counter sleeping aid. I do not feel tired or fatigued, my reaction time seems near 100%, and I wake up without artificial aids such as alarm clocks and caffeine. However, I am concerned that this little sleep is not healthy and will reduce recovery. I may try to take a nap later today.

EDIT: I had a one hour nap today, so my total sleep for the day is 4.5 hours.

Weights
    Pull Day
    Chin-ups -- BWx17*, BWx15 (I am looking into getting a weight belt or backpack, so I can do chin-ups with more than my body weight.)
    Bicep Curl with EZ-curl bar -- 95x7*, 90x8
    Dumbbell Concentration curls -- 40x8, 35x10/11 (10 reps right, 11 reps left)
    Dumbbell Rows -- 85x8M*, 85x8M*
    Upright Rows -- 90x8, 85x10
    Dumbbell Shrugs -- 170x13M , 170x15M <= I could have done more, if I had a better grip on the left dumbbell.

* = Personal Record, Record number of reps at a given weight or record weight at a given number or reps
    M = Max Dumbbell weight. My dumbbells can only fit 4 10lb plates on either side for a total of 85lbs. I have ordered longer dumbbells, but they have not arrived yet.

Cardio
    HIIT, long intervals on treadmill
    3 min -- warmup, 4 mph
    17 min -- intervals, 1 min 12 mph followed by 1 min 7 mph
    5 min -- cooldown, 4 mph

I am very dissapointed with my performance. This is the second time I have done this workout. I was expecting a rapid improvement since it is so new. Last week I was able to do 10-11 intervals, and felt like I could continue. This week I was only able to do 8 and was struggling. My stomache was twisted and my calves were not at 100%. If this happens next week, I will shift to a lower speed. Hopefully, it is just a temporary setback related to my poor sleeping habits in recent days.

Diet
    • ~3300 calories
    • Meal 1 - Large bowl Shredded Wheat with skim milk and cut up banana, small serving chicken breast, a few peanuts
    • Meal 2 - Large bowl black beans mixed with brown rice, sweet potato, small serving chicken breast, grapes, a few peanuts
    • Meal 3 - Large bowl oatmeal, can of tuna, brown rice, 1 package green beans, apple, a few peanuts
    • Meal 4 - Organic Oat Bran cereal with skim milk, baby lima beans mixed with corn (succotash), cantaloupe
    • Snack 2 - 1/2 pollock fillet, grapes

Supplements
    1g flax oil, 2g fish oil
    Last edited by aka23; 04-09-2003 at 09:41 AM.

Have you experimented with higher fat intake? Glad to see you started up a journal. Looks as though the training is going well.

I think that my fat intake is below optimal, but I used to eat even less. I am currently experimenting with larger intakes. I have been slowly adding fat into my diet. I started with the EFA supplements, then I added increasing amounts of peanuts. I will try to add some more healthy fats in future weeks.
    Last edited by aka23; 04-08-2003 at 05:39 PM.

Today's Training Log

Sleep
    I slept approximately 3 hours last night. This is the least sleep I have had during any night any 2003, breaking yesterday's record. I want to get these sleeping problems resloved quickly as it is likely interfering with my recovery. I am going to read up on this topic and may consult with my doctor. I still do not feel tired or fatigued. This suprises me because in the past when I have had trouble sleeping; I was tired during the day, I fell asleep easily the next night, and slept for a longer time period. I may try to take a nap later today.

EDIT: I had a 1.5 hour nap, for a total of 4.5 hours sleep.

Weights
    Leg/Ab Day
    Squats -- Warmup Set, 225x7*, 185x12*
    Forward Lunges -- Warmup Set, 100x8*
    Crunches -- 15, 15
    Twisting Crunches -- 20
    Several Different Leg Raise Type Exercises -- 3 sets did not count reps

Bold = Largest weight ever used for given exercise
    * = Personal Record, Record number of reps at a given weight or record weight at a given number or reps

I am happy with the improvements in recent weeks. I have gained rapidly in all quad related exercises. Today's squats were 20lb more than my previous record. I cut the legs short because I have not yet recovered from yesterday's HIIT. Doing legs after HIIT is a poor choice. I need to rearrange my schedule. I will be doing a more complete leg workout over the weekend.

Cardio
    Cycling, moderate intensity
    I plan to do stationary cycling at a constant level. This workout usually keeps me at about a heart rate of about 140. My heart rate and distance traveled can be used to measure performance. I suspect that performance will suffer due to my lack of sleep today. I will update this message later today and report how it went.

EDIT: Performance was outstanding in today's cardio. I completed a record distance while having an average heart rate slightly below normal. Perhaps my increased leg strength is making the cycling easier.

Diet
    • ~3200
    • Meal 1 - Large bowl Nature O's Cereal with skim milk, red snapper fillet, small banana, a few peanuts
    • Meal 2 - Large bowl black beans mixed with brown rice, sweet potato, red snapper fillet, grapes, a few peanuts
    • Meal 3 - Large bowl oatmeal, chicken breast, brown rice, 1 package green beans, apple, a few peanuts
    • Meal 4 - Grape Nuts with skim milk, baby lima beans mixed with corn (succotash), cantaloupe
    • Snack 2 - SKIPPED

Supplements
    2g flax oil, 1g fish oil
    Last edited by aka23; 04-07-2004 at 05:29 PM.

What is borage oil? Never heard of it before. As for legs do you usually perform direct hamstring work and if so what type of exercise? I noticed you said you cut the workout short which was probably a wise decision since your sleep has been disrupted. Nice work on the squats by the way.

Borage oil is made from borage plant seeds. I added it to my supplements because Total EFA type supplements usually include a mix of Fish, Flax, and Borage Oil; and because it is one the best sources of gamma-linolenic acid (GLA), an essential fatty acid. GLA is not found in its direct form in either fish or flax oil. However it can be inefficiently converted from the LA in flax (conversion rate is 5-10%). Some studies suggest GLA benefits numerous skin conditions, cardiovascular disease, etc. I supect most people take it for PMS or because supplement companies claim GLA stimulates fat burning by increasing brown fat activity. It probably is not mentioned much on this forum because it is an Omega-6 EFA and most Americans already get too much Omega-6 and perhaps too much GLA as well. Some authors claim that the balance of GLA with other EFA's is important and too much GLA can lead to problems for the average American. I take it every now and then since I do not get many Omega 6 fats. This was especially true before I added the peanuts.

I do lying leg curls for my hamstrings. I used to do them twice per week. In recent weeks I have reduced them to 1x per week beacuse of soreness from running. My legs are often sore on the day following a long run or HIIT on a treadmill. Last week's HIIT was the worst soreness I have felt in a long time. I felt especially sore in muscles on the front of my lower leg near the shin and in my inner thighs. I suspect that these muscles were not used to the increased stress. These muscles did not feel sore this week. I may have adapted to the new activity, or the soreness might not begin until later (it has been under 24 hours since my HIIT workout).

Thanks for the complements on the squats. I feel good about my improvement in squats and leg press during recent weeks.
    Last edited by aka23; 04-09-2003 at 09:03 PM.

aka23, what does your calories look like when cutting? I've seen a picture of you and you have a really impressive body.

I do not think I have done a cut, in the tradional sense.

I started lifting and doing cardio when I was in high school, nearly 10 years ago. I was probably 15-20% BF. This is an estimate because I did not measure my body fat until I joined a gym 1-2 years later. First I did aerobics type workouts I saw on morning exercise TV shows using encyclopedias for weights. After I learned a little more about conditioning, I switched to seperate weights and cardio. I bought a set of 25lb dumbbells and started running. As time went by, I bought heavier dumbbells, was running longer distances, and was doing several other types of cardio. My body composition changed rapidly during the first few months, then slower in later months. About a year later I had gained a lot of muscle, and my body fat was probably around 5.5-7.5% (I had well defined abs). I occasionally counted calories and found that I was eating about 2900 calories per day. I was mostly eating according to hunger. I set my meals such that I would start to be hungry exactly when the next meal began, and I tried to avoid eating when not hungry.

Since then my body fat has remained in the 3.5-8% range. It has been near 5% in the past year. During all the times in which I was counting calories I was eating near 3000 calories. The calories were a bit higher in recent years, due to more muscle. My muscle gains were very slow during much of the time. With some body parts, they remained static for years. This was probably due to poor training habits, such as staying in the gym 2 hours or doing ridiculous amounts of cardio (as much as 2 hours in a row at moderate intensity). My training habits have improved a lot since then. When I improved my training habits, then I made muscle gains. If anything muscle growth and body fat tended to be inversly related. When I was making muscle gains, my body fat tended to drop, so my overall weight remained stable. Calories that would have been used as stored fat were being used to build/maintain muscle.

This is the first time I have done a bulk in the traditional sense, and am intentionally trying to gain weight (I have unintentionally gained weight with muscle at other times by following hunger.). I have increased my calories slightly above what I believe is the level necessary to maintain my weight. During 2003, I have changed many aspects of my training and diet based on information I have learned at this site and at other similar ones. I am hoping to gain about 0.5lb muscle per week while gaining very little fat, so I will not need to cut. I plan to weigh myself every week and get my body fat measured a couple times per month to track progress.
    Last edited by aka23; 04-10-2003 at 02:02 PM.

I see. Well, your dieting methods are pretty interesting (with the pretty low fat and getting good results). In the past before discovering this web site I've always cuts on low fat diets (around 15-20g) and I've never had a problem reaching around 7-8% body fat. Now after learning all the 'importance' of fat in a diet, I've never been below 10% body fat since getting at least 30% of my calories from fat.

Today's Training Log

Sleep
    I slept approximately 4.5 hours last night. I used an over the counter sleeping aid last night. I suspect the lack of effectiveness is related to benzodiazepines being fat soluble. They remain effective for shorter periods in persons with lower body fats. I plan to avoid naps and sleeping aids tonight. Both can contribute to insomnia.

EDIT: I ended up taking a 1 hour nap.

Weights
    Push Day
    Dumbbell Flat Press -- 80x8*, 75x10*
    Dumbbell Incline Press -- 65x6*, 60x8*
    Dumbbell Flyes -- 55x6*, 50x8
    Dumbbell Military Press -- 55x1*, 50x8*
    Dumbbell Laterals -- 35x5*, 30x7
    Skullcrushers -- 100x8*, 95x10*
    Dumbbell Kickbacks -- 40x5*, 35x9*

* = Personal Best, Record number of reps at a given weight

I feel like I had excellent improvement in this workout. Good gains on everything but the laterals. I was able to do more reps last week in this exercise. The Dumbbell Military Press was a bit surprising. I can do only 1 rep with 55, but I can do 8 with 5 pounds lighter weights.

Cardio
    Running/Elipctical Trainer, high intensity
    I plan to start on the treadmill at 7.0mph, then increment by 0.5mph every 5 minutes until I reach 5 minutes at 9.0mph. I should end right on the threshold between aerobic and aneroboic exercises. I will then do 30 minutes on the eliptical trainer on a random setting. This is one of my most strenuous workouts. It probably burns more calories than any other and deplets my glycogen levels more than any other. It will be a good performance measure. I will edit this post and report how it goes.

EDIT: I felt more tired than usual during the running portion and had soreness in my calves. However, I reached a record distance in the eliptical trainer portion, breaking my old record by about 1%. I sweated a huge amount during this session, far more than usual. My clothes were soaked in sweat when I finished.

Diet
    • 3200-3300 calories
    • Meal 1 - Large bowl Shredded Wheat Cereal with skim milk and cut banana, pollock fillet, a few peanuts
    • Meal 2 - Large bowl black beans mixed with brown rice, sweet potato, pollock fillet, grapes, a few peanuts
    • Meal 3 - Large bowl oatmeal, canned salmon, brown rice, 1 package green beans, apple, a few peanuts
    • Meal 4 - Large bowl Life Cereal with skim milk, peas, cantaloupe/watermelon
    • Snack 2 - Grapes

I need to get to the supermarket tonight. I am am out of poulrty, bananas, and skim milk. It also would good to get some more fruit variety.

Supplements
    1g borage oil, 1g flax oil, 1g fish oil, 1 multivitamin/mineral
    Last edited by aka23; 04-11-2003 at 12:23 AM.

I ate a 6oz can of Chicken of the Sea Pink Salmon as part of meal 3 tonight. The side of the container says it has 2.5 servings of 60 calories for a total of 2.5*60=150 calories. I track my foods at fiday.com . They say that a 6oz can of pink salmon has approximately 240 calories. The USDA database also says about 240 calories. I am wondering why there is such a difference. I imagine that Chicken of the Sea could be using some type of creative rounding which might get the total to 62*2.7~=170. Perhaps Chicken of the Sea packs a lot of water into their cans, so a larger portion of the 6oz can is water than in standard salmon. According to the can, there is about 5oz after the water is drained. Using fitday.com numbers, 5oz of drained has ~210 calories. I still cannot get the numbers to work out and am unsure which is the more accurate number to use. I have similar questions about canned tuna.

Originally posted by CBates
    Well, your dieting methods are pretty interesting (with the pretty low fat and getting good results). In the past before discovering this web site I've always cuts on low fat diets (around 15-20g) and I've never had a problem reaching around 7-8% body fat. Now after learning all the 'importance' of fat in a diet, I've never been below 10% body fat since getting at least 30% of my calories from fat.
    15-20g is quite low. That is only about 160 calories from fat per day. I do not think I have eaten that little fat, but at times I have come close.

In my opinion, macronutrient percentages are not as critical to obtain lower body fats as many people make them out to be. I think a person can do a successful cut on a high carb/low fat diet or a low carb/mod-high fat diet. The page http://www.exrx.net/Bodybuilding/PreContestDiet.html has some outdated studies described pre contest diets. Most of the diets in their list had macronutrient percentages near 55% carb, 35% protein, 15% fat. Simarly atheletes in cardio type sports often eat low fat diets with even higher percentages of carbs and maintain low body fats all training season. It is my understanding that many of today's bodybuilders follow a different contest/cutting diet that involves eating little carbs, with periodic carb ups. For example the Mr. Olypia competitor at http://www.animalpak.com/cf/dieting/...econtest1.html describes a diet that involves eating 50g carb one day, 100g carb the next, 150g carb the next, then repeating the cycle. The competitor at http://www.animalpak.com/cf/dieting/...econtest2.html describes a diet involving 3 days without carbs and one day with cycle.

I think that the most critical aspects of losing body fat are calorie balance and activity/exercise. Calorie balance is an important factor, but is certainly is not the only one. People can lose fat while gaining weight, or increase their body fat while losing weight. Doing a good amount of cardio while continuing with weightlifting is beneficial for fat loss. Cardio helps regulate your appetite, increases your metabolism, helps maintain muscle (as opposed to dieting without cardio or weights), increases fat burning enzymes so you will be a better fat burner in the future, and changes the body's chemistry in ways that favor reduing body fat (effects insulin, adrenaline, cortisol, and endorphins). Weightlifting is important to help maintain muscle. More muscle increases metabolism and improves fat burning efficiency. Studies of overweight/untrained persons who do cardio and weightlifting often show that they simultaneously gain muscle and lose fat. This frequently occurs when in a positive calorie balance, a negative one, or when eating freely. Some example studies that found this result are listed at http://www.exrx.net/FatLoss.html .

There are plenty of other important factors. Body fat is often lower in cultures that consume lower fat diets with fiber rich whole grains are vegetables. However, when fat is replaced with carbs are of the sugar-rich white flour type than the results are very different and average body fat sometimes increases. Adjusting macronutrient percentages, entering ketosis, rotating/cycling carbs, rotating/cycling calories, optimizing hormones, ... all have an effect. But I do not think any of these things are necessary, and I think all have lesser effects than calorie balance and activity.
    Last edited by aka23; 10-31-2005 at 04:21 PM.

Today's Training Log

Sleep
    I slept approximately 4.5 hours last night with help from an over the counter sleeping aid. My goal is to average 8+ hours for the weekend. Without work I will have less sleep restrictions. I find that I am often able to sleep or nap after meal 1 and to a lesser extent after meal 3.

Weights
    No weight training.

Cardio
    Cycling -- Varying intensities, overall very low intensity, very long duration

Diet
    • ~3300 calories
    • Meal 1 - Large bowl Shredded Wheat with skim milk and cut up banana, red snapper fillet, a few peanuts
    • Meal 2 - Large bowl black beans mixed with brown rice, sweet potato, small serving chicken breast, orange, a few peanuts
    • Meal 3 - Large bowl oatmeal, chicken breast, brown rice, 1 package green beans, pear, a few peanuts
    • Meal 4 - Grape Nuts with skim milk, 1 package brussel sprouts, 1 ear corn, watermelon
    • Snack 2 - Banana

Supplements
    2g flax oil, 1g fish oil
    Last edited by aka23; 04-12-2003 at 12:04 AM.

Have you thought about sending the salmon manufacturer an e-mail and see what kind of response you get?

Most of the diets in their list had macronutrient percentages near 55% carb, 35% protein, 15% fat.
    If you are very meticulous about what type of fat makes up that 15% then I have no doubt you could do well with those macro ratios. Seems as though the best way to go about is experiment with different ratios as each individual is different.

As far as you sleep troubles go, have you thought about trying some hot tea bedtime blends or something like that?

Good idea about contacting the manufacturer. I cut and pasted my question and submitted using the online form at http://www.chickenofthesea.com/service.asp .

I do not drink teas. I only drink water and skim milk. I have tried a few of the common insomnia recommendations, such as getting up and doing something non-stimulating until you feel tired again. None of these methods have been successful. I think part of my problem is that when I cannot sleep, I think about not sleeping, which prevents me from sleeping. This cycle may have been triggered by day light savings. My new bed and furniture arrangement may have also contributed. I have an appointment with my doctor on Monday regarding my sleeping troubles. There is also a blind seller who is stopping by that day. I am thinking about getting new blinds that block out a larger portion of the light.

Today's Training Log

Sleep
    I slept approximately 8 hours last night with help from an over the counter sleeping aid. It might be more accurate to say I slept 5.5 hours, then took a 2.5 hour nap after Meal 1. With this much sleep (I slept several hours more today than I did on Monday-Friday), I expect that it will be quite difficult for me to fall asleep tonight without help from a sleeping aid. I am concerned that I am becoming too dependent on these sleeping aids. It is probably a matter of days before my body adapts to them, so they have little effect, and when I stop I will have rebound insomnia.

Weights
    1/2 Body Day, emphasis on Machines
    Chin-ups -- BWx17, BWx11
    Seated Bicep Curl Machine -- 80x8*, 75x9*
    Compound Row Machine -- 150x8*, 140x10*
    Lat Pulldown in front -- 140x8*
    Lat Pulldown behind neck -- 150x8*
    Leg Curl Machine -- 110x8*, 100x10
    Standing Calf Raise 260x13*, 270x9*
    Hip Adductus (inner thigh) -- 140x15*
    Ab Machine 150x21*, 160x15*, 150x19
    Lower Back Extension -- ???x17*

Overall it was a good workout. I made a lot of personal bests and record weights. I struggled a lot with the chinups. I pushed myself hard to tie my previous record of 17, then prematurely stopped the second set. This was the only exercise that I did better last time.

The order of these exercise may seem unusual. There was a line for the lat pulldown machine, so I delayed it until the end of my upper body.

I am not positive I remember all the data correctly. Some of the 8's may have been 9's, or even 10's. I am uncertain about the weight of the lower back exercise. I know it was 10 more lbs than I did last week. I associate the weight by a distingusihing feature on one of the weight bars.

I was extremely sore during the hip adductus, so I stopped after one set. I am surprised that I made such good gains since this is the first time I have used the machine in 3 weeks. I suspect I have been working them during Monday's HIIT. My inner thighs usually feel sore after this exercise. My right leg was trembling during the lower back machine. The trembling may have been related to poor preworkout diet. It had been about 4 hours since I last ate.

Cardio
    Cycling, medium intensity
    I am not sure if I am going to do cycling at a fixed level or try a hill program. I have not done a hill program in years. I will edit this post and report how it goes.

EDIT: I spent the first half doing 2 interval programs with 1 min intervals. I spent the second half doing my usual fixed level workout. I struggled throgh the intervals and had near record performance on the fixed level. Like yesterday, I sweat an excessive amount. I am wonder if my increased sweating and sleeping difficulties could be related by something like anxiety, an overactive thyroid, hypothalamus, or serotinin balance issues.

Diet
    • 3200-3300 calories
    • Meal 1 - Large bowl Shredded Wheat Cereal with skim milk and cut banana, red snaper fillet, a few peanuts
    • Meal 4 - Large bowl Grape Nuts with skim milk, succotash, cantaloupe/watermelon
    • Snack 2 - Banana

Supplements
    1g flax oil, 2g fish oil
    Last edited by aka23; 04-12-2003 at 11:48 PM.

I bought some Ivanko dumbbell handles today, like the ones that appear in the picture below:

My plan was to remove the bolts at the end and instead use spring clips. With this setup, they should have been able to hold at least 6 10lb plates on either end. I was surprised to find that the dumbbell handles do not fit my standard plates. They are too big for my standards, but much too small for olympics. I wonder what type of weights they do use. I am going to try to return them tomorrow. I will ask the guys at the fitness store more about this.
    Last edited by aka23; 04-12-2003 at 06:59 PM.

Today's Training Log

Sleep
    I slept approximately 7 hours last night (slept 5 hours + 2 hour nap after meal 1) with help from a sleeping aid. My appointment with my doctor about my insomnia is tomorrow. I will report back what happens

Weights
    1/2 Body Push, emphasis on Barbells+Machines
    Flat Bench Press -- 195x6*, 185x8
    Incline Bench Press -- 155x6*, 150x7
    Pec Deck Fly -- 120x5*, 110x8 (did not fully complete last two)
    Military Press -- 110x8*, 100x10? (maybe 9)*
    Lateral Raise Machine 95x8*, 90x10? (maybe 9)*
    Triceps Extension 85x9?*, 90x6?*
    Inclined Leg Press 420x8*, 410x10*
    Leg Extension 120x8?*, 115x10?*

Overall it was a good workout. The bench press was 10lb more than my previous record on the first set, and I tied my rep record on the second set. I guess I did not have much left for the other chest exercises. They could have been better. Good gains on the remaining exercises.

I am not positive I remember all the data correctly. When there was uncertainty I put a ?. I doubt I was any more than 1 rep off in any of my estimates.

Some attractive ladies were doing lunges in front of me, while I was on the bench press. I am not sure if this helped me or hurt me. I had trouble focusing, but it probably added some adreneline.

Cardio
    Running, medium intensity
    I plan to run about 7 miles today. I will probably do it on the treadmill. I might do it on the beach. I will edit this post and report how it goes.

EDIT: Running went well. It felt easy. I sweat a great deal, like during previous days.

Diet
    • ~3300 calories
    • Meal 1 - Large bowl Shredded Wheat Cereal with skim milk and cut banana, pollock fillet, a few peanuts
    • Meal 4 - Large bowl Life Cereal with skim milk, peas, cantaloupe
    • Snack 2 - Banana

Supplements
    1g borage oil, 1g flax oil, 1g fish oil
    Last edited by aka23; 04-13-2003 at 11:52 PM.

Weekly Goal Update
    Weight -- 163.0lb (Measured on 4/13)
    Body Fat -- Increasing?

My goal is to be 170lb and 5% body fat. This week my body weight increased 0.5lb to 163.0lb. My body fat was not measured. I suspect it is increasing because there is a bit of fat on my obliques that was not there a few weeks ago. Perhaps it is about 5%. I have attached a picture from a few weeks ago to this post, and a current pic to the next post for comparison. My quads look more cut than they did a few weeks ago, but I suspect this is due to increased muscle. I purchased a digital skin caliper from http://store.yahoo.com/bodyworks-nut...traccalac.html , so in future weeks I should have a more objective measure.
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Last edited by aka23; 06-09-2004 at 04:48 PM.