The Five Biggest Contradictions in Fitness
Latest Article

The Five Biggest Contradictions in Fitness

It’s no secret that when people contradict themselves, it has the effect of making the flaws in their actions or statements seem glaringly obvious. But what about when WE ourselves get caught contradicting ourselves by someone else?

By: Nick Tumminello Added: January 6th, 2014
More Recent Articles
Contrast Training for Size
By: Lee Boyce
An Interview with Marianne Kane of Girls Gone Strong
By: Jordan Syatt
What Supplements Should I be Taking? By: Jay Wainwright
Bench Like a Girl By: Julia Ladewski
Some Thoughts on Building a Big Pull By: Christopher Mason

Facebook Join Facebook Group       Twitter Follow on Twitter       rss Subscribe via RSS
Page 102 of 161 FirstFirst ... 25292100101102103104112152 ... LastLast
Results 2,526 to 2,550 of 4025

Thread: Training Log

Hey aka I remember a while back you showed me some pictures of your dumbells, anyways after drooling over them for a while I ordered the 18 inch ones from here http://www.newyorkbarbells.tv/im-0030.html

If I recall you have a pair just like that and a pair with the contoured grip. Anyways I'm trying to figure out how much the 18 inch ones weigh. I'm assuming they weigh 6lbs each because when you click on the button to purchase one it shows the shipping weight as being 6lbs. Is this correct?

Also if you have any pointers on how to get the dumbells into position for dumbell bench or dumbell militaries that would be awesome, because I know you also workout alone at home without a spotter sometimes and you manage to press some pretty big weights hehe

Also you were right it seems you can load over a 100lbs each on these, really great!
    Last edited by Dedicated; 04-02-2004 at 07:24 PM.

Dedicated,

I am glad that you are happy with the DB handles. According to my inexpensive Target scale, they are 5.2lb. I suspect that the shipping weight includes packaging. I round all three of my DB handles (14", 16", and 18") as 5lb for convenience.

I have not done flat DB presses since August. I used to get them into position as pictured at http://www.exrx.net/AnimatedEx/Pecto...BenchMount.gif . I kicked the DBs off my knee, while leaning backwards and lying down on the bench. When doing military presses, I have found that the easiest way for me to get them into position is to kick them off my knee, then hammer curl them up. A few months ago, I used to do a standing hammer curl with momentum/cheat, but eventually this became awkward. A good number of other posters on this forum find it easiest to clean them into position.
    Last edited by aka23; 04-02-2004 at 11:32 PM.

Thanks a ton for weighing them, good to know how much they weigh. I bet you are right, the extra 0.8lbs was for packaging probably.

I will definitely try all those methods you described for getting the dumbells up, it might take some practice but I think that after I get it down it won't be so bad. Thanks for the help And yea, I love the dumbells, feels good to finally do different exercises and to finally be able to have something heavier than 40lbs, as 40lbs is my heaviest hex dumbell.

Aka, you seem to be nitpicking the studies referenced. You don't seem to do that with the studies you reference. For example, you never pointed out that at least 2 of the studies you referenced involved sedentary trainees.

In an earlier post you stated:

One can also find studies which found negative effects. I believe that a large portion of these studies have major flaws such as poorly designed training setups. For example, many concurrent studies do the aeroboic and strength sessions sequentially without break. In some cases the strength session follows the cardio session. Doing intense cardio immediately before weightlifting sessions is obviously not a desirable way to train and may negatively effect strength gains.

The first study I noted compared concurrent training with at least a 2hr break between sessions.

If you read the information about the differential between muscular adaptation to aerobic and anerobic exercise you should realize a newbie making progress on both should come as no surprise.

The reason I asked you about your experience is that you would qualify as an experienced trainee to me. Your squat strength has most certainly improved very substantially relative to your baseline or starting strength (I suspect 100% or greater). Your absolute squat strength is substantially greater than average and you are not a naturally big guy with large hips and legs.

So, your progress, which to me is extremely impressive, seems to run contradictory to science. It truly surprises me that a natural guy can gain 30 lbs of lean mass in one year while doing the amount of aerobic work you do and make the concurrent huge gains in strength. Your progress smokes anyone on this board whether or not they are natural (30 lbs of lean mass).
    Last edited by chris mason; 04-03-2004 at 08:19 AM.

AtLarge Nutrition Supplements – Get the best supplements and help support Wannabebig!

Neither one of the two studies I could look up seemed to support your point. One did not compare strength training alone to concurrent training. It only compared a well designed concurrent training program (workouts on alternate days) to a poorly designed concurrent training program (concurrent workouts in sequence without break). The other study did not find an reduction in performance in strength in the concurrent training group at lower velocities. Lower velocity absolute strength seems more relevant to our discussion than high velocity explosiveness. I suspect that study #3 also compared explosiveness since the title includes the phrase "vertical leap."

AtLarge Nutrition Supplements – Get the best supplements and help support Wannabebig!

I agree with the first summary. It describes many conditions one should avoid when designing valid concurrent training studies and gives recommendations on how to investigate the potential interference. However, it does not describe results from a study comparing strength alone to combined strength+endurance.

You have already posted the second study. This was the one which did not find a reduction in performance at lower velocity absolute strength, but did find a reduction in performance at higher velocity explosiveness.
    Last edited by aka23; 04-03-2004 at 11:29 AM.

Training Log

Sleep
    I slept approximately 4.5 hours using 30mg Restoril (benzo. sleeping aid) and 25mg dyphenhhdramine HCL (OTC antihistamine? sleeping aid). I have used powerful doxylamine succinate OTC sleeping aids over the past 2 days. I expected to have a noticable rebound insomnia tonight, so I switched to these two different sleeping aids. In the past neither of them has been very effective. I sleep approximately the same amount on nights I use Restoril and on nights I go without sleeping aids.

Weights
    Push Day, Emphasis Incline
    • Dumbbell Incline Press – Warmup Sets, 102.5x8 (+1R), 97.5x7 (Low, +5lb), 92.5x10 (Low, +1R)
      I added in a second “low” extra large ROM set this week and removed one of my regular ROM sets. I came extremely close to failure in the first set. I am calling the second set a max weight PR because it is the largest weight I have used for this ROM.
    • Dumbbell Incline Flys87.5x6 (+2.5lb), 82.5x8 (+2R)
      As usual I had less ROM than some of my earlier weeks with these flyes. As the weight increases, my ROM or the angle of elbows sometimes changes. I had especially poor control this week. I dropped a rep with a small increase in weight during the second set.
    • Seated Dumbbell Shoulder Press – Warmup Set, 85x6 (+1R), 80x7 (Low)
      I am disappointed with these shoulder presses. I had to push myself to the edge of failure to improve on the first set, and I did not improve on the second set. My problems may be related to adding in a brief pause after getting the DBs in position, before starting the presses. I will return back to my usual form next week. Another possibility is that my slower progress on shoulder presses may be related to my lack of progress on Arnold presses.
    • One-armed Dumbbell Front Raises – Right: 75x6 (+1R), 70x11 (+1R); Left: 72.5x5 (+2.5lb), 67.5x10 (+2R)
      I did these one arm at a time again because of the significant strength difference. I had limited ROM on the heavy sets with my right arm. The other sets went reasonably well. I am pleased that my left arm appears to be catching up to my right.
    • EZ-bar Lying Triceps Extensions – Warmup Set, 117.5x6, 117.5x6, 117.5x5
      I have been disappointed with my slow rate of improvement on triceps extensions in recent weeks. They are the only exercise I do on a regular basis that is below my preaccident PR of 122.5x6. I plan to increment to 120lb next week.
    Bold = Largest weight ever used for given exercise
    (+X lb) = Personal Best -- added X lbs to record maximum
    (+X R) = Personal Best -- added X reps to max at given weight
    (+X R) = Personal best for left arm, below overall personal best

General Comments
    None.

Cardio
    Running, High Intensity
    I do a leg workout on the day before this cardio session. As usual, I had some lower body DOMS earlier in the day. And by the evening only my hamstrings and glutes were slightly sore.

Last week I had an awful session in which I had to stop midway a couple times with serious symptoms such as a headache, struggling to catch my breath, overly sore body, and being saturated in sweat. Headaches have been a problem over the past two sessions. I was expecting today’s session to go poorly as well, especially since the temperature was warmer than usual in my gym. It may have been the warmest temperature this year during my fixed speed treadmill sessions. Instead the reverse occurred, I had an outstanding session.

The workout started out normal. After about 20 minutes, I started to struggle a bit and mild muscle soreness in my lower back and calves began. After about 30 minutes, all the muscle soreness went away. I had no headaches, no gastrointestinal issues, no muscle soreness, and felt great. I only felt an empty type feeling in my stomach towards the end of the session. Note that this was not hunger or an unpleasant feeling. My usual 9mph pace was no where near as challenging as previous weeks. I probably could have increased to a faster pace, but I did not want to push myself because of the higher temperature. I suspect that these changes were a “runner’s high,” I have not felt this degree of a “runner’s high” in a long time, perhaps throughout the period in which I have maintained this journal. There is some debate about exactly what causes such a euphoric feeling in prolonged exercise. It may be related to endorphins (similar to morphine and codeine) or endocannabinoids (similar to substance in marijuana). Feeling little pain, I probably pushed myself too hard. I saw the effects of this excessive training the next day. I found some injuries on my body, and I had one of the worst cycling sessions I have had all year. I will go into more detail in tomorrow’s training log.

My workout is summarized below. I did not wear an HR monitor. Instead I took my pulse by hand at several points within the workout. The results of these three measures are included in the summary below. All measures were higher than normal for this workout.
    • 3 minutes -- 4.0 mph / total 0.20 miles (Warmup)
    • 55 minutes -- 9.0 mph / total 8.45 miles –- after 30 minutes ~87%MHR, after 45 minutes ~90%MHR, ~90%MHR at finish
    • 2 minutes -- slow mph / total 8.58 miles (Cooldown)

Diet
    • ~3900 calories
    • Snack 1 – Oatmeal, 1 package broccoli, 1-2 oz chicken breast, a few peanuts
    • Snack 2 – Oatmeal, 1-2 oz chicken breast, a few peanuts
    • Snack 3 – Air-popped popcorn, ~1 oz chicken breast
    • Meal 1 – Shredded Wheeat cereal with skim milk and cutup banana, small serving snapper fillet
    • Meal 2 - Large bowl black beans mixed with brown rice, sweet potato, small serving chicken breast, strawberries, a few peanuts
    • Meal 3 - Large bowl oatmeal, chicken breast, brown rice, 1 package green beans, apple, a few peanuts
    • Meal 4 – Large bowl Kashi Heart to Heart cereal with skim milk, 1 ear corn, 1 package peas, ~2 oz snapper fillet, grapes
    A few things were different than normal in today's diet that might be related to my abnormal cardio session. I ate strawberries. I believe that I have a mild allergy to strawberries. My throat sometimes bothers me soon after consuming them, and I have an uncle who is severely allergic to them. I left the chicken out on the counter after meal 2 for approximately 4 hours. I probably should have thrown it out since it had been unrefrigerated for so long. Instead I ate the remaining chicken breast during meal 3, which was my precardio meal.

Supplements.
    2g flax oil, 3g fish oil
    Last edited by aka23; 04-03-2004 at 11:53 AM.

Lol, just goes to show I don't have the time to be enough of a reference guy.

You quote from that site rather frequently, let me ask you a question. If you wish the full text for a given study, where do you get it? Do you have to order the study, or is there something I am missing something?

Selfproclaimed Fancy Pants wibble's Avatar
    Nice session aka! Awesome Incline DB presses and flys!

AKA is a pimp-dizzy, 30lbm gained and bf% lost. How are the women aka?
    "We fight our battles, we wage our wars, we settle the score, with honor and blood" - Atreyu

Dontate to my favorite charity!

chris,
    Most of the time the full study either must be purchased or is not available online. When the free full text is available, pubmed usually provides a link to the study. An example is on the page http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/entrez/q..._uids=12540388 . Pubmed often provides a link to studies that can be purchased for a fee as well. If pubmed does not provide a link, you could try going to the website for the journal in which the study was published. If you have access to a University, they may have a subscription to the journal in which the study was published, and you may be able to view the study for free.

wibble,
    Thanks. The DB incline presses went well this week. I will probably increment the weight used by 2.5lb next session.

Y2A,
    I have not made much progress with women lately. I have mostly been staying home and not participating in any social activities. It has been approximately two weeks since I had more than a two-word, non-business conversation with any women. I have been thinking about participating in the young Stanford alumni mingling type events in my area again. I stopped going to them last summer after a bad experience that was discussed in the journal.

For people who are new to the journal. Note that there are periodic goal reports and pictures throughout the journal that chronicle my body composition changes. I plan to add some more pictures after a skin problem clears up.
    Last edited by aka23; 04-03-2004 at 05:10 PM.

Training Log
    Sleep
    I slept approximately 5 hours using 30mg Restoril (benzo. sleeping aid).

Weights
    Rest Day
    When I arrived home after last night’s running session I noticed a good amount of blood on my left shin. I have a circular scar that is approximately 1 inch in diameter and not very deep. I have no idea when or how the scar was formed. Perhaps I bumped my shin against some piece of gym equipment without noticing it due to the “runner’s high” mentioned in yesterday’s training log. When I woke up this morning the area was no longer bleeding, but I had significant pain in the area, which was not present last night. When I woke up, I also had pain and scarring on my left inner thigh caused by friction when my sweaty thighs rubbed together while running. This friction has been a problem during the past three fixed intensity treadmill session, but today the irritation was much more severe than in the previous sessions. I also had severe muscle soreness in my legs, and significant muscle soreness in my lower back and chest. The combination of all of the above made it unpleasant to do any kind of walking. There was pain whenever my jeans rubbed against the scarred areas. I have not been this bad off in a long time. It is good that today was rest day. I felt much better by the time I did my cardio session, in the evening.

Cardio
    Cycling, moderate intensity
    I experimented with different cadences and intensities again during this workout. I did the first 40 minutes at my usual intensity and a cadence of approximately 87RPM. I did the final 20 minutes at one level lower and a cadence of approximately 97RPM. My distance was ~1% below my record during both periods. 1% might not sound like much, but for me that is a major drop in performance. It is rare that my distance changes from more than 0.5% from one session to the next. The poor performance was probably related to inadequate recovery after yesterday’s unusually intense running session.

Like the earlier sessions, the lower intensity higher cadence portion felt much easier than the higher intensity portion and did not get my HR as high. My HR was 77-82%MHR at the higher intensity and 70-75%MHR at the lower intensity, like last week

Diet
    • ~3800 calories
    • 2:00AM – Oatmeal, 10 oz package broccoli, ~2 oz turkey breast, a few peanuts
    • 4:30AM - Oatmeal, ~2 oz turkey breast, a few peanuts
    • 7:00AM – 7:30AM – Large bowl Nature O’s cereal with skim milk, small serving snapper fillet
    • 11:30AM -12:15PM - Large bowl black beans mixed with brown rice, sweet potato, small serving chicken breast, banana, a few peanuts
    • 4:30PM – 5:15PM – Chicken breast, large bowl oatmeal, brown rice, pear, 10 oz package green beans, a few peanuts
    • Cardio Session
    • 10:00PM – 10:30PM – Large bowl Grape Nuts with skim milk, 10 oz succotash, 1-2 oz snapper fillet, grapes
    I averaged 3689 calories per day this week. 3689 calories is 69 calories per day less than last’s week unusually high total and 3 calories per day less than two weeks ago. This decrease in calories was not intentional.

Supplements
    2g flax oil, 3g fish oil
    Last edited by aka23; 04-04-2004 at 12:13 AM.

Still doin' your thing aka

Might want to look into getting some bike shorts to wear under your workout clothes to help with the thighs rubbing. I always had to wear them myself or suffer like you are.
    My Journal
    Yea, though I walk through the valley of the shadow of death, I will fear no evil,...Cuz I'm the baddest motherf***er in the valley!
    "The wait in the dressing room before a boxing match --that last hour -- would be enough to strip a man that never boxed before of whatever Pride, Desire, and Heart he THOUGHT he had" -John Scully
    "It takes no effort to be ordinary. Ordinary is not even a challenge. You can do nothing and be ordinary."- Bernard Hopkins

I agree with Bruteman, bike shorts seem to be the way to go. Are you aiming for a certain number of hours sleep per night? I am a very light sleeper and anything over 6 hours a night sleep is a bonus for me.

Actually, I am less than 10 minutes from the University of Virginia. Time, once again, is the limiting factor.

Bruteman and mixta,
    That is a great idea about wearing bike shorts. I am surprised that I did not try using them earlier since I was briefly on the cycling team in college and am very familiar with them.

mixta,
    I try to get as much sleep as possible. I have had trouble falling asleep and staying asleep throughout the period in which I maintained this journal. I have seen many doctors and a sleep specialist. I use sleeping aids on a almost daily basis. I average about 9-11 hours on weekends when I take a powerful doxylamine succinate sleeping aid. DS sleeping aids lose their effectiveness quickly, so it is not practical to use them on a daily basis. I average 4-6 hours of sleep on weekdays in which I do not use DS sleeping aids.

chris,
    I would love to live close to a university like that. I have taken a few courses at UCSD for fun and to improve my job skills, so I thought about purchasing a home near the school. I abandoned that idea quickly after learning that median sale price of homes in La Jolla, CA where the school is located is over $900,000. La Jolla is in the top 10 communities with the highest median home prices in California.
    Last edited by aka23; 04-04-2004 at 02:27 PM.

Training Log
    I intended to post this workout last night, but my computer crashed with a primary hard drive not found error. The error continued until this morning. I fear that if I turn off my computer, I will not be able to turn it back on again. I will look into possible causes for this error later today. I will probably look into purchasing a new laptop as well.

Sleep
    I slept approximately 4.5 hours using 30mg Restoril (benzodiazepine sleeping aid).

Weights
    Pull Day, Emphasis Back
    • Hammer Strength Low Row – Warmup Sets, 3 plates +12.5 per side x 7 (+5lb), 2 plates +37.5 per side x 10 (+3R)
      These rows felt much more difficult than last week, especially during the heavy set. I may have had some ROM issues during the final rep or two of the heavy set. Note that the +3R improvement in the second set is comparing to a session from many weeks ago. Many of the rep improvements in the lighter sets of this workout are compared to many weeks ago. I dislike how this machine has dozens of possible seat positions and no markings. This makes it difficult to maintain a consistent seat position from one workout to the next.
    • LifeCircuit Row210(up)/294(down) x 7 (+5/7lb), 190(up)/266(down) x 10 (+3R)
      I set eccentric (down) weight on the machine at 40% greater than concentric weight (up). I focused on maintaining extremely strict form with these rows again. These rows felt more difficult than last week, like the HS rows. I will only add 2lb next week.
    • Cybex Dual Axis Pulldown – Warmup Set, Stack+45 (335)x5, Stack+45 (335)x8 (+2R)
      I dropped down to a 20lb lighter weight than last week and focused on using a strict form with full ROM. I was able to improve so much from the first to the second set by pulling with as much force as possible at the start of the movement instead of using a slower, more constant velocity.
    • Seated Curls - Warmup set,
      Right Arm: 70x7 (+1R), 65x11 (+1R)
      Left Arm: 70->80x0 (see below), 65x7.5 (+0.5R)
      I was planning to increment from 65 to 70lb with my left arm today. This would be the first time I have curled with symmetric weights since I broke my arm in August. I was disappointed when I was not able to do a single unassisted rep. I ended up doing a couple reps with assistance from my right arm. I later realized that I had used the wrong weight. I picked up an 80lb and 70lb DB instead of a pair of 70lb DBs. I am glad to know that the failure was not a strength weakness, but I feel like this exercise was a waste. I did not want to do a third set to make up for the wrong weight since I had already pushed myself to failure.
    • One-armed Cybex Lateral Raise Machine -- Stack+50 (240)x9/9 (+1R/1R), Stack+35 (225)x11/11 (+1R/1R)
      Stack+50 is the maximum possible weight that can be added to this machine. I will need to find a substitute exercise some time soon. An attractive girl on the elliptical trainer was watching me while doing this exercise. My sets in which I add weight to the stack often attract attention.
    • Hammer Strength Shrugs – 430 x 10 (+ROM), 520 x 10 (+3R)
      I added 20lb to both sets this week. I was able to reach 520lb by placing 35lb of plates on the handles. The two sets had the same number of reps, but different ROMs. I am not sure if I had the same ROM as last week. The +3R PR compares the heavy set to a set from several months ago, which may have had a different ROM. I dislike how it is difficult to maintain a consistent ROM on this exercise.
    (+X R) = Personal Best for a particular arm, but not overall personal best

General Comments
    My legs were feeling very sore at the start of this session. I probably still have not recovered from my recent cardio sessions. My legs felt much better later in the day. I was sweating heavily towards the end of this workout, much more than usual.

Cardio
    Elliptical Trainer, Medium-High Intensity

I did a one-hour session using the machine’s random setting. During three sessions over the past two months, the elliptical trainer estimated that I traveled an unexpectedly large distance and burned an unexpectedly large number of calories. I needed to increase the intensity level of the machine well above my usual range to get an effective workout. I had the same problem in today’s session. I have found that one of my gym’s machines has a different resistance than the others and produces these misleading statistics.

This session went extremely well. The resistance level I used the last time I was on the low-resistance machine felt extremely easy, so I incremented to one level higher. I was able to maintain my approximate pace at this intensity level and broke my distance record for the low-resistance machine by an insignificant margin. My HR was only about 80%MHR during the first half hour, so I tried moving up one resistance level higher in the second half hour, which was two levels above my normal intensity level. I still was able to maintain my approximate pace and broke my half-hour distance record for the low-resistance machine by nearly 3%. My HR was a bit under 85%MHR, which is higher than normal for an elliptical trainer workout, but less than my treadmill sessions. With enough practice, I probably could maintain a ~88%MHR intensity for extended periods. This low resistance machine also produces inaccurate calorie statistics. It said that I burned over 2000 calories, while the other machines all give much lower numbers. I would be surprised if I burned even half of the calories listed. Nevertheless, I did feel very hungry after completing this workout and had a larger than normal postworkout meal.

Diet
    • ~3900 calories
    • Snack 1 - Oatmeal, 10 oz package broccoli, 1-2 oz chicken breast, a few peanuts
    • Snack 2 - Oatmeal, 1-2 oz chicken breast, a few peanuts
    • Snack 3 – Air-popped popcorn, ~1 oz snapper fillet
    • Meal 1 - Large bowl Shredded Wheat with skim milk and cutup banana, small serving snapper fillet.
    • Meal 2 - Large bowl black beans mixed with brown rice, sweet potato, small serving chicken breast, grapes, a few peanuts
    • Meal 3 - Large bowl oatmeal, chicken breast, brown rice, pear, 10 oz package green beans, a few peanuts
    • Meal 4 - Large bowl Kashi Heart to Heart cereal, 10 oz package peas, 1 ear corn, ~2 oz snapper fillet, strawberries

Supplements
    2g flax oil, 3g fish oil, 1 multivitamin/mineral (no iron)
    Last edited by aka23; 04-05-2004 at 09:53 AM.

Still strong man.........calories look to be up too. Good work. I wish we had more HS stuff and less weird Nataulis.
    " ...if all else fails, just whip out those b'normous biceps!!!!!!! Teh lad33z <3 teh str3ngth!"- McIrish

"An Irishman has an abiding sense of tragedy which sustains him through temporary periods of joy..."

"When a man is in love, is jealous, and has been whipped by the Inquisition, he is no longer himself..."- Voltaire

Awesome workout aka, shrugs look great!
    Last edited by wibble; 04-05-2004 at 02:58 PM.

Thats some great back work, shrugs are awesome!
    My Journal
    http://wannabebigforums.com/showthread.php?t=119765

I think this is possibly the all-time best response on WBB. - Jorge Sanchez

"you're an animal eat like one damn it!" - Wikked1

"Now we're finally getting to the chicken or the egg question," I grinned. "Did I eat all that food because my size gives me more of an appetite, or did I get to be this big because I've been forcing myself to eat like this for years?"

From A Body Builder is Born

i knew you were a beast but not that kinda of a beast that eats grown men and children.. lilmase

I wannabebig!
    hey aka how do you cook your beans?

clvmike19,
    Thanks. On the days I go to the gym, I often focus my workouts around equipment that is not available to me at home, such as machines. I like the plate-loaded Hammer Strength machines much more than most Nautilus type stack machines. I also am fond of the LifeFitness machines that allow you to set different resistances for eccentric and concentric movements, and allow you to adjust the weight in increments of 1lb.

wibble and cphafner,
    Thanks. The workout went better than I expected. In recent sessions, I have gone back to using heavier weights for shrugs. PowerManDL makes a good argument about traps responding to overload rather than ROM.

ryuage,
    I purchase 1lb bags of dried black beans for about 1$ at my local supermarket. I put the entire bag in a large cooking pot and soak it with 12 cups of water for ~8 hours. Using the burners on top of stove, I heat it to a boil, then let it simmer for ~1 hour 45 minutes. I store the cooked beans in the refrigerator. A 1lb bag lasts me slightly less than a week.
    Last edited by aka23; 04-05-2004 at 07:53 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by aka23
    PowerManDL makes a good argument about traps responding to overload rather than ROM.
    What was his argument? I'd like to see what he has to say on the subject.
    Last edited by wibble; 04-05-2004 at 08:11 PM.

wibble,
    Here is a post with more detail -- http://www.wannabebigforums.com/show...ht=#post750535 . There are a few other similar threads.

Training Log

Sleep
    I slept approximately 5 hours using 30mg Restoril (benzo. sleeping aid)

Weights
    Legs, Lower Back & Abs
    • ATF Hack Squats in Sled – Warmup Sets, 4 plates+15 per side x 5 (+5lb), 4p+15 ps x 5 (+5lb), 4p+15 ps x 4.5 (+5lb)
      The first two sets felt fairly easy, but I reached failure on the final rep of the third set and got stuck at the bottom of the sled again. This is the third time I have reached failure on this exercise in the past 32 days. I avoid training to failure and almost never hit failure on leg exercises. I will add 5lb again next week, but I will try to not push myself as close to failure as I usually do.
    • Low Leg Incline Leg Press – Warmup Set, 9 plates+35 per side x 5 (+10lb), 9p+35 ps x 5 (+10lb), 9p+35 ps x 5 (+10lb)
      I am calling this “low leg” incline press to emphasize that I did all sets with my feet in a lower position on the platform, making the presses more difficult. My quads felt very sore at the start because of the hack squats again. The soreness was not in an area that I emphasize during the leg press, so it had little impact on the exercise. These sets all felt fairly easy. I tried starting each set with a partial warmup rep to get a feel for the weight. I plan to continue with this method in future sessions.
    • Calf Raises in Incline Leg Press –20 plates x 16 (+2R), 22 plates x 13 (+2R), 24 plates x 9 (+2R)
      These calf raises went well. 24 plates is all that can fit on the machine, so I will need to switch to a new exercise soon. Perhaps I will try one-legged calf raises.
    • SLDLs – Warmup Sets, 335x2 (grip, +5lb), 335x1 (grip, +5lb), 305x7 (grip, +1R)
      My back was feeling sore at the start of this workout, so I considered doing light SLDLs this week. I could not resist training heavy and instead added 5lb to my previous PR. My grip on my left hand was much weaker than normal during all three sets. I expect that I could have done about 6 reps in the first set and 9 in the lighter set, if I was not limited by my grip. In the past my grip usually failed at approximately the same time as my strength. I am not sure what caused this change in today’s session. I believe I used a wider grip than I usually do.

After completing the sets, I unloaded the plates from one side before the other, leaving 130lb on one side of the bar and 0lb on the other. This caused the bar to tip over and fall to the floor. The bar made a lot of noise when it fell. A guy who was about 3 feet away and walking to the water fountain literally jumped in the air when the bar landed. Several other people in the gym were looking in my direction.
    • Lower Back Extension – (480)x5, (460)x7
      These sets were both well below previous weeks. My lower back was probably worn out from doing SLDLs immediately before the lower back extensions. I usually either start my workout with SLDLs or do them before calf exercises.

480 is the maximum possible weight that can be added to the stack without a large restriction in my ROM. It took me 5-10 minutes to get the DBs and plates setup before starting. I am still thinking about creating an attachment with a cable and caribeaners, so I can hang plates/DBs on opposite ends of the stack.
    • Ab Machine, Forward Crunch(305)x7 (+5lb), (305)x7 (+5lb)
      I dropped a rep with a 5lb increase in weight this week. I was feeling worn out and a bit hungry towards the end of this session. This probably hindered my performance.

General Comments
    The gym added signs in the Mens locker room saying, “Please do not flush the urinals with your feet.” The handles to the urinals are about chest height, so I am surprised that using feet to flush them is a problem.

Shortly before my bar tipped over while doing SLDLs, there was a much larger crashing sound. I was unsure of the cause at the time. When I finished my workout, I found out that someone shattered the mirror in the Mens locker room. I saw the attractive woman who was at the front desk in the Men’s locker room cleaning up the mess. I change into my gym clothes at home, so there were no complications.

Cardio
    Rest Day
    This is a no cardio day under my current split. During earlier months of the journal, I used to do cardio on leg days.

Diet
    • ~3600 calories
    • Snack 1 - Oatmeal, 10 oz package broccoli, 1-2 oz chicken breast, a few peanuts
    • Snack 2 - Oatmeal, 1-2 oz chicken breast, a few peanuts
    • Meal 1 – Nature O’s cereal with skim milk, small serving snapper fillet
    • Meal 2 - Large bowl black beans mixed with brown rice, sweet potato, small serving chicken breast, banana, a few peanuts
    • Snack 3 Grapes
    • Meal 3 - Large bowl oatmeal, canned tuna, brown rice, apple, 10 oz package green beans, a few peanuts
    • Meal 4 – Large bowl Shredded Wheat with skim milk and cutup banana, 10 oz package brussel sprouts, ~2oz snapper fillet

Supplements
    1g flax oil, 3g fish oil, 1.3g borage oil
    Last edited by aka23; 04-06-2004 at 02:52 AM.