The Five Biggest Contradictions in Fitness
Latest Article

The Five Biggest Contradictions in Fitness

Itís no secret that when people contradict themselves, it has the effect of making the flaws in their actions or statements seem glaringly obvious. But what about when WE ourselves get caught contradicting ourselves by someone else?

By: Nick Tumminello Added: January 6th, 2014
More Recent Articles
Contrast Training for Size
By: Lee Boyce
An Interview with Marianne Kane of Girls Gone Strong
By: Jordan Syatt
What Supplements Should I be Taking? By: Jay Wainwright
Bench Like a Girl By: Julia Ladewski
Some Thoughts on Building a Big Pull By: Christopher Mason

Facebook Join Facebook Group       Twitter Follow on Twitter       rss Subscribe via RSS
Page 11 of 161 FirstFirst ... 9101112132161111 ... LastLast

Thread: Training Log

Originally posted by RG570
    how much longer do you plan on substituting db press for barbell bench press? Your db press is advancing nicley, but i find if i leave a movement out for too long of a time my body stops being so efficient at it, and though my strength may increase in my muscles, the lift itself will go down. You may just try a light set or two in with your pushdays. Just an idea.
    You make some good points. I do not want to wait too long and lose efficiency. I have not done a BB flat bench press since 5/1. I think I will try again next Sunday, on 5/25. I have been doing BB incline bench press and machine bench press, along with DB work.

Originally posted by bradley
    I know this wasn't intended as a joke but I found it funny
    You are right that it was not intended as a joke. Looking back on it, I can see the humor.

Originally posted by mixta
    I agree with the issues you mentioned with the treadmill. The treadmill I use plays up like that too. If the readouts were true, that would be some serious running speed, lol. Good work on the weights used on your push day.
    I am using LifeFitness 9500 HR treadmills. This model seems to have a particularly unreliable distance measure. Thanks for the compliments on the weights. It not a bad workout, but I was hoping for larger gains on the presses and flyes.

Yesterday's Training Log
    This is the training log for Friday, May 16th.

Sleep
    My total sleep for the day is about 8 hours. I slept approximately 6.5 hours last night using 25mg doxylamine succinate and 10mg Sonata (sleeping aids), then took a 1.5 hour nap after meal 1. The combination was very effective.

Weights
    Rest Day
    My body feels quite sore today. It is worst in my back and my pecs.

Cardio
    Cycling -- Very low intensity, very long duration
    My parents are visiting again this weekend. I started this workout late and ended a few minutes early because of delays related to my parent's visit.

Diet
    • ~3500 calories
    • Meal 1 - Large bowl Shredded Wheat with skim milk and cut up banana, pollock fillet, a few peanuts
    • Meal 2 - Large bowl black beans mixed with brown rice, sweet potato, small serving chicken breast, orange, a few peanuts
    • Meal 3 - Large bowl oatmeal, chicken breast, brown rice, 1 package green beans, pear, a few peanuts
    • Meal 4 - Grape Nuts with skim milk, 1 package brussel sprouts, 1 ear corn, cantaloupe
    • Snack 1 - Oatmeal, 1 package broccoli, a few peanuts
    • Snack 2 - Oatmeal, 1/2 pollock fillet
    • Snack 3 - Banana
    Supplements
    1.3g borage oil, 1g flax oil, 1g fish oil, 1 multivitamin/mineral (no iron)
    Last edited by aka23; 05-18-2003 at 05:58 PM.

What's pointy, bloody and can't turn around in a hallway?

A dead baby with a javelin through it's head...

Originally posted by heathj
    What's pointy, bloody and can't turn around in a hallway?

A dead baby with a javelin through it's head...
    There is a hospital across the street from my gym that performs abortions. Today I saw abortion protestors at the intersection of my gym and the hospital. They were holding signs with pictures of bloody, dead fetuses like the one at www.holylamb.com/abortion3b.htm. I imagine that your joke would not go over well with that crowd.

I try to ignore these protesters, but sometimes their graphic images can get to me. It is clearly not the ideal way to start a workout.
    Last edited by aka23; 05-18-2003 at 12:54 PM.

Yesterday's Training Log
    This is training log for Saturday, May 17th

Sleep
    My total sleep for the day was about 7.5 hours. I slept approximately 6 hours last night, then took a 1.5 hour nap after Meal 1. I used a combination of 10mg Sonata (prescription sleeping aid) and an over the counter sleeping aid with active ingredient 25mg doxylamine succinate. Doxylaminate succinate enhances the effects of hypnotics like Sonata.

Weights
    1/2 Body Pull, Emphasis on Machines
    WG Front Lat Pulldown -- 170x7.5*, 160x9*
    WG Rear Lat Pulldown -- 190x7*, 180x8
    Compound Row -- 180x6*, 170x8.5*
    Iso Low Row -- 160x6*, 150x9*
    Lower Back Extension -- 240x15*
    Seated Bicep Machine -- 95x8*, 85x8
    Lateral Raise Machine -- 125x9*
    Rear Lateral Raise Machine -- 150x12*, 170x10*
    Ab Machine -- 210x10*, 200x12*, 190x15*
    Hip Adductus (inner thigh) -- 190x15*

Bold = Largest weight ever used for given exercise
    * = Personal Best -- Record number of reps at a given weight

Most sets were personal bests or record maximums. My extra sleep over the past 2 days may be related to my performance in this workout. I added 40lb to my maximum on the rear lateral raise. I added 20lb to my maximum on lower back extension. I added 10lb to my maximum on the rows, lateral raise, hip adductus, and ab machine.

I am continuing with the same set of exercises I used last week. My calves and hamstrings were sore again, so I moved them to Sunday's workout and replaced them with the lateral raises. I had an amazing gain on the rear lateral raises and raised my maximim by 40lb while increasing the reps. The large increase is probably related to it being a newer movement and having neglected my posterior deltoids for so long. I am getting close to using the full stack of weights on the ab machine and hip adductus. I expect to be doing sets of 10-15 with the stack in 2 or 3 weeks.

There were abortion protestors at the intersection to the gym today.

Cardio
    Cycling, medium intensity
    I did a 90sec interval program, a 60sec interval program, and then a fixed level. The workout went well.

Diet
    • 3500-3600 calories
    • Meal 1 - Large bowl Shredded Wheat Cereal with skim milk and cut banana, pollock fillet, a few peanuts
    • Meal 2 - Large bowl black beans mixed with brown rice, sweet potato, pollock fillet, orange, a few peanuts
    • Meal 3 - Large bowl oatmeal, canned tuna, brown rice, 1 package green beans, pear, a few peanuts
    • Meal 4 - Large bowl Grape Nuts with skim milk, succotash, 2 oranges
    • Snack 1 - Large bowl oatmeal, 1 package broccoli, 1/3 pollock fillet, a few peanuts
    • Snack 2 - Oatmeal, 1/3 pollock fillet
    • Snack 3 - Banana
    I need to get to the supermarket tomorrow. I am out of poultry, serveral fruits, and a few other foods that I frequently eat.

Supplements
    1g flax oil, 2g fish oil

you have incredibly strong abs man. why do you do adductor machines but not the abduction?

and burn those damn abortion protesters.
    Pup, in reference to me: "he's like Budiak...but worse"

Budiak: "Statistically I've gained almost an inch on my arms...but thats just theory, and we know what theory gets us. Thats right. Communism."

BigChaseyChase: "Cutting, there will not be!"

sir millard mulch: "I could probably punch some chick really hard at this point"

Galileo - "Someday maybe I'll be able to use the big boy weights like RG570."

you have incredibly strong abs man. why do you do adductor machines but not the abduction?

and burn those damn abortion protesters.
    Thanks for the compliments on the ab strength. I have increased the weight I use on the ab machine by 40% in the 6 weeks that I have kept this journal. I think a lot of people could go to higher weights on ab exercises if they trained them more like a regular muscle, and avoided large numer of reps every day.

I think I stopped doing outer thigh exercises several years ago because the motion felt awkward and because my poor flexibility was embarassing. Now I avoid them out of habit. I am glad that you reminded me of them. I may try a set next week.

I wish there was something more that could be done about the abortion protesters. I am sure the local businesses do not like them, but I do not think the protestors are violating any laws.

I am a big fan of the adductor/ abductor machines, and feel they are a tremendous assistance excercise to the squat. Flexibility is not an issue for me, but if were, it would be one easily remedied

Laws Shmaws. You would be doing the nation a favor by getting rid of them.
    Pup, in reference to me: "he's like Budiak...but worse"

Budiak: "Statistically I've gained almost an inch on my arms...but thats just theory, and we know what theory gets us. Thats right. Communism."

BigChaseyChase: "Cutting, there will not be!"

sir millard mulch: "I could probably punch some chick really hard at this point"

Galileo - "Someday maybe I'll be able to use the big boy weights like RG570."

Originally posted by aka23

Rastaman,

I tend to take things seriously. I almost never tell jokes and was voted most serious in high school. Perhaps I will add some type of joke to one of my workout logs in the future.
    I can tell that you take things very seriously. I was asking in jest . You have a well-kept, meticulous journal, and I've enjoyed reading it.
    Last edited by Rastaman; 05-19-2003 at 03:10 AM.
    "The only sin which we never forgive in each other is difference of opinion."
    -Ralph Waldo Emerson

Word.

I am a big fan of the adductor/ abductor machines, and feel they are a tremendous assistance excercise to the squat. Flexibility is not an issue for me, but if were, it would be one easily remedied
    You convinced me. I will try a set on Saturday.

Originally posted by Rastaman
    I can tell that you take things very seriously. I was asking in jest . You have a well-kept, meticulous journal, and I've enjoyed reading it.
    Thanks for the compliments on the journal. I enjoy writing in it and find it to be a useful tool for my workouts.
    Last edited by aka23; 05-19-2003 at 08:28 AM.

Weekly Goal Update

Weight -- 168.0lb (+ 1.5lb)

Median Body Fat -- 3.6% (- 0.3%)
    Lowest Formula -- 2.2% (JP-3, chest, abdomen, thigh)
    Highest Formula -- 4.8% (L-3, triceps, abdomen, subscapular) & (FS-4, triceps, axilla, abdomen, subscapular)

My goal is to be 170lb and 5% body fat. This week my body weight increased 1.5lb to 168.0lb. My chest skinfold measure decreased by 0.5 mm, causing my median body fat measure to decrease by 0.3%.

I listed 168.0 lb as my weight, but this total may be high due to water weight. It seems unlikely that I gained more than 1lb of muscle in a week. I weigh myself before and after my two weekend workouts at the gym. The actual measures are below.

Before Workout Sat -- 166.5
    After Workout Sat -- 168.5 (I drank a lot of water during the workout)
    Before Workout Sun -- 168.5
    After Workout Sun -- 168.0

When I took this week's picture, I noticed that the reflection in the medicine cabinet mirror looked impressive. This image is at a different angle from my usual pose. I pasted this image on the right of the usual pose. Both images are attached to this post.

Skinfold Measures
    Biceps -- 2 mm
    Triceps -- 2 mm
    Chest -- 2 mm (- 0.5mm)
    Axilla -- 3 mm
    Abdomen -- 4 mm
    Thigh -- 4 mm
    Suprailiac -- 4 mm
    Subscapular -- 8 mm
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Last edited by aka23; 05-19-2003 at 09:27 AM.

looking VERY good aka. i think 170 @ 5% is definately attainable for you. good luck!
    "Eat until it hurts dammit! Then eat more. Youll get used to it. I think its like sex for a chick. Sure it hurts the first time, but after a couple rides it just goes in like a glove." -clvmike19

"... chicks are like smarties. They're different colors but each share the same deliciousness. Its just a matter of deciding if you'll save the red ones for last or eat a bunch of different ones in the same handful." -wibble

Looking great man. You'll reach your goal in no time.

GhettoSmurf and Mik,

Thanks for the compliments. If my body fat measures are accurate, I have exceeded the 161.5lb lean body mass I need to achieve my goal. I expect to reach 170lb in 2 or 3 weeks.

Yesterday's Training Log
    This is the training log for Sunday, May 18th

Sleep
    My total sleep for the day was about 7.5 hours. I slept approximately 6 hours, then took a 1.5 hour nap after Meal 1. I used the same combination of Sonata and doxylamine succinate (sleeping aids) as last night.

Weights
    1/2 Body Workout
    Incline Bench Press -- 175x5.5*, 165x6.5
    Machine Bench Press -- 215x6*, 205x8*
    Pec Deck Fly -- 140x4*, 130x7
    Military Press -- 115x9*, 120x9*
    Close Grip Bench Press -- 120x5N, 120x6.5*
    Incline Leg Press -- 470x8*, 450x12*
    Leg Extension -- 145x8*, 150x10*
    Seated Leg Curl -- 120x9*, 125x6.5*
    Standing Calf Raise -- 350x10*, 360x9*

Bold = Largest weight ever used for given exercise
    * = Personal Best, Record number of reps at a given weight
    N = New Exercise, No basis for personal best comparison

I was able to set a record maximum on each exercise. 12 of my 18 sets were record maximums. 16 of my 18 sets were personal bests. I added 20lb to my maximum on calf raise. I added 15lb to my maximum on the seated leg curl. I added 10lb to my maximum on the peck deck fly, leg press, and leg extension. And I added 5lb to my maximum on the incline press, machine bench press, and military press

This is the first time I have done a close grip bench press. I held my hands only inch or two away from each other. I feel that this was not enough distance. I was limited by my wrist strength while balancing the bar, not my triceps or chest strength. I hardly felt anything in my triceps while doing the exercise. I am not sure if I will continue with it next week.

The stack for the standing calf raise is 400lb. I expect to be doing sets of 8-10 with the stack in two weeks.

Cardio
    Eliptical Trainer, medium-high intensity
    Today's leg work left me in no condition for running. Like last week, I subsituted the eliptical trainer for running since the elipical trainer is not weight bearing and puts much less stress on the legs. The workout went well. I broke my distance record by a small margin for the second half hour.

Diet
    • ~3600 calories
    • Meal 1 - Large bowl Nature O's Cereal, 1/2 can tuna, orange, a few peanuts
    • Meal 2 - Large bowl black beans mixed with brown rice, sweet potato, 1/2 can tuna, grapes, a few peanuts
    • Meal 3 - Large bowl oatmeal, 1 can tuna, brown rice, pear, 1 package green beans, a few peanuts
    • Meal 4 - Large bowl Life Cereal with skim milk, 1 package peas, 1/2 small cantaloupe
    • Snack 1 - Large bowl oatmeal, 1 package broccoli, 1/3 pollock fillet, a few peanuts
    • Snack 2 - Oatmeal, 1/3 pollock fillet
    • Snack 3 - Banana
    Some of the meals look different because I was running out of food and did not get to the supermarket until after meal 3. I was out of several types of meat and fruit.

Supplements
    2g flax oil, 1g fish oil
    Last edited by aka23; 05-20-2003 at 12:25 AM.

I am still anxious about my parents' visit this weekend. This will be the first time I have seen them in more than a year. Their visit may impact my workout and meal routine for the weekend. I imagine that they will want to eat out and spend the day visiting popular tourist spots.

My father started going to the gym on a regular basis this year. He is probably going to want to go to the gym with me. He is a very outgoing and extroverted person, and is extremely interested in me getting married. I suspect that he is going to try to set me up with girls at the gym. This could be an embarassing event.
    My parents are flying back home this morning. I saw them over the past two weekends. For the most part, the visit did not cause the problems that I worried about in the post above.

There were some minor interferences with my workouts. They arrived early, while I was doing some cardio at home. We agreed to meet 1/2 hour later to give me a chance to finish and clean up. I also had to start several workouts early and had to cut one workout short.

Only one of my meals was severely effected by the visit. My parents and I spent the day at the Wild Animal Park in Escondido, CA. The trip lasted longer than expected, and I only brought fruit as snacks. I ended up going about 5.5 hours without a good source of protein. I was able to avoid eating at hot dog stands, fast food, etc. I still went to these locations and talked to them. I just ate my food elsewhere. I also had to shift a few meals, eating some early or late.

My father did not go to the gym with me because it did not fit into our busy schedule. However, he did express an interest in doing so. There was one minor embarassing event with the girl from the gym mentioned in my 5/1 doctor office post. She was walking by my home in a sports bra after cooling down from a workout. My father made a comment about her looking fit and that I should workout with her, in a loud enough voice that she clearly heard him. This was not an ideal situation, but it could have been far worse.

Our visit involved watching Orange County, walking on various beaches/piers, going to a nature preserve, driving around various communtites, going to the Wild Animal Park, minature golfing, and spending time at home talking/relaxing. It was good to see them and spend time with them, but I am happy to get back to my usual routine and have more time for doing things by myself.
    Last edited by aka23; 05-20-2003 at 09:33 AM.

sounds like a good time aka. and ive seen your recent pcs, and i dont think the visit by the parents set you back anything

but i agree with what you said, it feels good to get back into a "normal" routine after a while.
    "Eat until it hurts dammit! Then eat more. Youll get used to it. I think its like sex for a chick. Sure it hurts the first time, but after a couple rides it just goes in like a glove." -clvmike19

"... chicks are like smarties. They're different colors but each share the same deliciousness. Its just a matter of deciding if you'll save the red ones for last or eat a bunch of different ones in the same handful." -wibble

Originally posted by GhettoSmurf
    sounds like a good time aka. and ive seen your recent pcs, and i dont think the visit by the parents set you back anything
    I was pleasantly surprised by how little the visit interfered with my workouts, and I agree that it did not set me back significantly. The minor variations in my routine may have even been benefcial. Nevertheless, it feels could to have more control over my daily schedule and to know that external events are less likely to obstruct my training/diet.

Yesterday's Training Log
    This is the training log for Monday, May 19th

Sleep
    I slept approximately 6 hours last night using 30 mg Restoril (prescription sleeping aid). I doubled the usual dosage to compensate for the rebound effects of three sequential days using doxylamine succinate.

Weights
    Rest Day
    My legs are feeling sore, but overall I am less sore than usual on a rest day. The difference is probably related to substituting the eliptical trainer for running yesterday. I have some red marks on my shoulders because of the heavy standing calf raises yesterday. I also had this problem last week.

Cardio
    Cycling -- Very low intensity, very long duration
    I did some intervals at very low intensities. My heart rate probably averaged about 50% MHR. I started and ended this workout later than I planned because of delays related to my parent's visit.

Diet
    • 3400-3500 calories
    • 1:45AM-2:15AM Ė Oatmeal, 1/3 snapper fillet, 1 package broccoli, a few peanuts
    • 4:00AM-4:30AM - Oatmeal, 1/3 snapper fillet
    • 7:00AM-7:45AM - Large bowl Shredded Wheat with skim milk and cut up banana, snapper fillet, a few peanuts
    • 11:30AM-12:45PM - Large bowl black beans mixed with brown rice, sweet potato, small serving chicken breast, orange, a few peanuts
    • 4:30PM-5:30PM - Large bowl oatmeal, chicken breast, brown rice, 1 package green beans, apple, a few peanuts
    • Cardio Workout
    • 10PM-10:45PM - Grape Nuts with skim milk, 1 package brussel sprouts, 1 ear corn, orange
    I did not feel as hungry as I usually do today and ate 100-200 calories below my usual total. I skipped my small snacks around 10:30AM and/or 3:30PM.

It was good to finally get to the supermarket and get some more types of meat. I was getting sick of pollock and do not plan on eating it again for a few days. Unfortunately I got distracted and forgot to pick up milk. Iíll have to make a second trip tomorrow.

Supplements
    1.3g borage oil, 1g flax oil, 1g fish oil
    Last edited by aka23; 05-20-2003 at 11:37 PM.

I have some red marks on my shoulders because of the heavy standing calf raises yesterday. I also had this problem last week.
    Yeah I get them too because our standing calve raise machine has shoulder pads that are worn out. Nice leg workout you had there earler in the page, lots of Personal bests floating around, which is always good.

[
    When I took this week's picture, I noticed that the reflection in the medicine cabinet mirror looked impressive. This image is at a different angle from my usual pose. I pasted this image on the right of the usual pose. Both images are attached to this post.
    The picture is more then just "impressive", it's awesome! Your current level of bf% is incredible. You seem to be so close to your goal. Have you started to think about your next one?

Me /pwn1ng by Xian Rookie's journal Rookie's Picture Thread

Damn right you will be! We don't mess around down here. Liquor and Steel, that's what we're all about -Casey

ROFL, oh man - I usually wait until I'm on the freeway to do that. What an idiot! -teufy doing what he does best.

You aren't strong enough or pretty enough to train in the evenings with us...better stick to noon workouts with the rest of the geriatrics. - pup

Yeah. I'm a dork. - Teufy

Better yet, "why should anyone's interpretation of divinity govern modern society?" - Twilo

Yeah I get them too because our standing calve raise machine has shoulder pads that are worn out. Nice leg workout you had there earler in the page, lots of Personal bests floating around, which is always good.
    I get them too, however, ours are not worn out. Mine might be due to where the seam/folds on my shirt digs in with the pressure from the shoulder pads. No bruising, so I'm good to go.

Me /pwn1ng by Xian Rookie's journal Rookie's Picture Thread

Damn right you will be! We don't mess around down here. Liquor and Steel, that's what we're all about -Casey

ROFL, oh man - I usually wait until I'm on the freeway to do that. What an idiot! -teufy doing what he does best.

You aren't strong enough or pretty enough to train in the evenings with us...better stick to noon workouts with the rest of the geriatrics. - pup

Yeah. I'm a dork. - Teufy

Better yet, "why should anyone's interpretation of divinity govern modern society?" - Twilo

Originally posted by rookiebldr
    I get them too, however, ours are not worn out. Mine might be due to where the seam/folds on my shirt digs in with the pressure from the shoulder pads. No bruising, so I'm good to go.
    Mixta,

Thanks for the compliments on the workout. I may have set a record for most new maximums (12) in a workout.

Like rookiebldr, the shoulder pads on my calf raise machine are not worn out. I suspect it is related to the pressure from the heavy weights on my shoulders. The problems started when I hit about 340lb. I have never had that much weight on my shoulders before. I still have some red marks on one of my shoulders today, 3 days later.
    Last edited by aka23; 05-21-2003 at 02:06 PM.

Originally posted by rookiebldr
    The picture is more then just "impressive", it's awesome! Your current level of bf% is incredible. You seem to be so close to your goal. Have you started to think about your next one?
    Thanks. I expect to reach my weight/bf goal in 2 or 3 weeks. I think I am going to add to this goal that all of exercises improve from the totals used at the start of the journal, both weights and cardio. My bench press has not improved. So I will not have reached this new goal until I can either bench press more than 6 reps at 195lb or can do 6 reps at more than 195lb. After that point, I plan to reevaluate my goals. I will decide if I want to keep on gaining; if I want to remain at my current weight; or if I want to focus on a different sport, such as running. Perhaps I will also replace my avatar.
    Last edited by aka23; 05-21-2003 at 03:01 PM.