The Five Biggest Contradictions in Fitness
Latest Article

The Five Biggest Contradictions in Fitness

It’s no secret that when people contradict themselves, it has the effect of making the flaws in their actions or statements seem glaringly obvious. But what about when WE ourselves get caught contradicting ourselves by someone else?

By: Nick Tumminello Added: January 6th, 2014
More Recent Articles
Contrast Training for Size
By: Lee Boyce
An Interview with Marianne Kane of Girls Gone Strong
By: Jordan Syatt
What Supplements Should I be Taking? By: Jay Wainwright
Bench Like a Girl By: Julia Ladewski
Some Thoughts on Building a Big Pull By: Christopher Mason

Facebook Join Facebook Group       Twitter Follow on Twitter       rss Subscribe via RSS
Page 111 of 161 FirstFirst ... 1161101109110111112113121 ... LastLast
Results 2,751 to 2,775 of 4025

Thread: Training Log

Hey Aka

Ive been trying to duplicate your cardio technique, but it was too intense so whaddya think of this:-

Core is 25 minutes

Each minute alternating between 12mph and 5mph

(12mph is the max the treadmill i use can go)

Cooldown

Then before bedtime:- 15 minutes pavement HIIT running, hitting the max i can possibly go and fading out (bout 45 seconds), light jog then repeat (bout 7 or 8 reps)

Is that the basic idea for fat loss?? I did a lot of straight 5k runs before but they dont seem to do much..

Im just back from my first aka23-influenced HIIT and i do declare that you are a phenomenal athlete!! Hats off to the max yo!!!!

Y2A,

It is interesting how you seem to ask about women on the day after I see her at the gym. There have been several coincidences recently regarding events in my journal and events at the gym. I waited for her to use the leg press during last night's session, while in the earlier session she waited for me to use the same machine. Nothing particularly eventful happened. I did not say anything to her. You might also be interested that someone at the gym compared me to the bionic man (1970's movies/TV series) this morning.

Allyrulez,

Thanks for the compliments. As you mentioned, HIIT is very intense. I only perform high-intensity cardio 1-2 times per week. I try to have a no leg-workout/cardio day or an active recovery day after such sessions to facilitate recovery, minimize interference with weightlifting, and minimize risk of overtraining (either local or systematic). I consider both the 12mph/5mph and 45 second sprints a form of HIIT since the work intensities would be above your lactate threshold. I would not recommend doing HIIT twice in the same day. I would try to avoid doing HIIT on sequential days or near leg weight training sessions. I would also suggest working up to higher intensities in a gradual manner to minimize risk of injury, as well as the previously mentioned issues.

I think both of the types of HIIT that you describe could be very effective for fat loss. I am not aware of any defintite conclusions on the best HIIT protocol for fat loss, and there are a wide variety of opinions on the subject.

Some of the possible reasons why HIIT is effective for fat loss are:
    1. Calories used both during the session and after it is complete through increased metabolism + repair
    2. Appetite suppression (increased less than predicted by calorie usage)
    3. AMPK activation during high intensity exercise and related lipid metabolism / nutrient partitioning adaptations
    4. Increased fat as fuel and nutrient partititioning due to depleted glycogen reserves
    5. Free fatty acid oxidation during recovery intervals
    6. Hormonal changes

Different types of interval protocols optomize these different elements. Shorter intevals would be superior for AMPK activation, assuming all other things are equal, since ATP and creatine phospate usage as fuel dominates shorter sprints. While longer intervals would be superior for glycogen depletion, assuming all other things are equal since glycogen becomes the dominate source of fuel in longer intervals.

It is also useful to note that you do not need to work at 100% maximum intensity for any of these processes to occur. Earlier today, I read two studies which measured AMPK activation at various intensity of cardio. Low intensity aerobic cardio (40%VO2max) had no significant effect. 20 minutes of medium intensity (60%V02max) increased the alpha-2 isoform by 5x. 20 minutes of high intensity aerboic cardio (80%VO2max) increased the alpha-2 isoform by 8x. Note that intensities were incremented in a sequential workout. 30 second anaerobic sprints at 200%VO2max (HIIT) increased both the alpha-1 and alpha-2 isoforms by a factor of 2-3x. Glycogen depeletion and most of the other activities in the list also occur to a significant extent with high intensity aerobic cardio as well.

You can read more about HIIT and get some ideas for suggested programs at :
    http://www.youronlinefitness.com/Fit...l_training.htm
    http://www.exrx.net/FatLoss/HIITvsET.html
    http://www.musclemedia.com/training/hiit.asp
    http://davedraper.com/interval-cardio-description.html
    http://www.wsu.edu/~strength/hiit.htm
    http://www.bulknutrition.com/?articleID=30&break=3
    http://www.dolfzine.com/page483.htm
    http://www.bodybuilding.com/fun/satter2.htm
    http://www.trainforstrength.com/Endurance1.shtml
    There are also some relevant threads on various bodybuilding web sites.
    Last edited by aka23; 05-06-2004 at 08:59 AM.

Saturday’s Training Log

Sleep
    I slept approximately 10.5 hours using 25mg doxylamine succinate (OTC antihistamine sleeping aid).

Weights
    Rest Day
    It is good that today was a rest day. I am not sure if I would have been in condition to do a weight session or intense cardio session today. I had severe DOMS in my upper/middle back, quads, and my hamstrings. I also had significant DOMS in my glutes, chest, and shoulders (anterior/lateral deltoids). There was pain in my right shin and toe. This pain felt more like injuries than muscle soreness.

I went shopping for clothes today at the local mall since a large portion of my clothes fit more tightly than I would like. I bought 5 short-sleeve shirts, 7 thin shirts (t-shirts, sleeveless shirts, and tank tops) that could be used as workout or sleep clothing, and 7 sets of underwear (both boxers and briefs). All were one size larger than my current clothing.

Cardio
    Cycling, Intervals
    I did three hill consecutive hill programs with 90-second intervals. All three were at the maximum intensity level of my Vision Fitness cycling machine. I would like to challenge myself more in this workout, but there is little more that I can do without switching to a gym machine with a higher max intensity level.

Diet
    • 3800-3900 calories
    • 2:30AM – Oatmeal, 10 oz package broccoli, ~2 oz turkey breast, a few peanuts
    • 4:30AM - Oatmeal, ~2 oz turkey breast, a few peanuts
    • 7:00AM – 7:30AM – Large bowl Nature O’s cereal with skim milk, small serving turkey breast
    • 10:00AM – Air-popped popcorn, ~1 oz turkey breast
    • 12:00AM -12:30PM - Large bowl black beans mixed with brown rice, sweet potato, small serving turkey breast, banana, a few peanuts
    • 4:45PM – 5:30PM – Chicken breast, large bowl oatmeal, brown rice, large apple, 10 oz package green beans, a few peanuts
    • Cardio Session
    • 10:00PM – 10:30PM – Large bowl Grape Nuts with skim milk, 10 oz succotash, 1 ear corn, 1-2 oz snapper fillet, cantaloupe
    I averaged 3823 calories per day this week. 3823 calories is 7 calories per day more than last’s week total and 37 calories per day more than two weeks ago. This week’s average is the largest in the journal and probably my largest weekly average in more than 10 years, perhaps the largest ever. This increase in calorie intake was not intentional.

Supplements
    2g flax oil, 3g fish oil
    Last edited by aka23; 05-05-2004 at 02:03 PM.

Its always good to have a rest day every now and then. The links you provided above make for good reading.

Quote Originally Posted by mixta
    Its always good to have a rest day every now and then. The links you provided above make for good reading.
    I probably should take more rest days than I do. There are only ~5 days of complete rest (no cardio or weights) in the journal, and most of those occurred while I was in the hospital. I am glad you appreciated the links.
    Last edited by aka23; 05-05-2004 at 03:50 PM.

You should take a rest day and use the spare time to write an article on the benefits and varieties of HIIT cardio.

Wow!!!!! Loadsa info, cheers guv'ner!!!!

fuzz,
    I have little interest in writing articles. Writing papers in college used to be a nightmare for me. I much preferred classes with more obective grading methods, such as sciences and engineering. I might create a web site at some point, with information about HIIT and other topics that interest me.

Allyrulez,
    I am glad to help.

Sunday’s Training Log

Sleep
    I slept approximately 9 hours using 25mg doxylamine succinate. During most of the day I felt fatigued and disoriented. This could have been related to the doxylamine succinate, as both fatigue and disorientation/groggyness are common side effects. I had little energy and felt like spending the day resting in an easy chair. While shopping for groceries I accidentally bumped the cart against stationary objects a few times. During the evening I had slightly more energy, but I had severe DOMS, especially in my back and posterior deltoids. Earlier in the day, my DOMS was more mild and centered around my legs. The lack of energy may have interfered with my late morning weight session. About a half-hour before my evening cardio session, I suddenly felt energized and had no DOMS. I imagine that this was some type of sympathetic adrenaline reaction. Perhaps my body is used to working out at this time. In any case, I was able to have a superior cardio session, despite my symptoms earlier in the day.

Weights
    Pull Day, Emphasis Back
    • Hammer Strength Low Row – Warmup Sets, 3 plates +20 per side x 7 (+1R), 3p+2.5 ps x 9 (+2R)
      Both of these sets felt tougher than normal. I may drop down to a lighter weight for a while to insure that I am using good form with full ROM. Note that the +2R improvement in the second set is comparing to a session from many weeks ago. Several of the rep improvements in the lighter sets of this workout are compared to many weeks ago.
    • LifeCircuit Row218(up)/305(down) x 7 (+2/3lb), 198(up)/277(down) x 9.5 (+2.5R)
      I set eccentric (down) weight on the machine at 40% greater than concentric weight (up). The +2.5R in the final set indicates that I had incomplete ROM during the final rep. Like last week, I was sweating quite a bit after completing these sets.
    • Cybex Dual Axis Pulldown – Warmup Set, Stack+65 (355)x6.7 (+0.7R), Stack+65 (355)x6
      I was surprised that these sets made my calves feel sore. My PR is 355x6 is my PR from mid March. I have gained less than 1 rep during the past 1-2 months. I think I am going to switch to a substitute exercise for a while. Perhaps I will try using a cable V pulldown. Even if I was having more success with this exercise, I would have to switch soon since I am nearly at the limit of weight that can be added to the stack.
    • Strict Seated Curls - Warmup sets, 60x7/5 (+1R/+0R), 55x9/8 (+1R/+1R)
      I am disappointed with my left arm curls. I made no gains during the heavy set, and had to push myself to the edge of failure to improve during the lighter set.
    • One-armed Cybex Lateral Raise Machine -- Stack+50 (240)x13/13 (+1R/1R), Stack+35 (225)x15/15 (+1R/1R)
      Stack+50 is the maximum possible weight that can be added to this machine. I will need to find a substitute exercise some time soon.
    • Hammer Strength Shrugs – Warmup Set, 490 x 9 (+2R), 580 x 5 (+10lb)
      I added 10lb to both sets this week. I was able to reach 580lb by placing several plates on the handles. I am disappointed by the number of reps lost with a small increase in weight. I will remain at these weights next week. The two sets had the same number of reps, but different ROMs. As usual, I am not sure if I had the same ROM as last week..
    Bold = Largest weight ever used for given exercise
    (+X lb) = Personal Best -- added X lbs to record maximum
    (+X R) = Personal Best -- added X reps to max at given weight
    (+X R) = Personal Best for a particular arm, but not overall personal best

General Comments
    No Comment.

Cardio
    Elliptical Trainer, Medium-High Intensity

I have had problems with different elliptical trainer machines having different resistances and producing different distance statistics. Due to confusion over the different machines, I arbitrarily decided to call the distance from three weeks ago my PR. I have used that same machine during each session since then.

I did a 1-hour session on the elliptical trainer, using the random mode. This was another outstanding session. My usual intensity level did not feel as challenging as it normally does. During the first half hour I broke my distance PR on this machine by 1.1%. My HR was ~80%MHR during this period. I usually slow down during the second half hour. In today’s session, I nearly maintained the pace and broke my distance PR on this machine by 0.8%. My HR was 80-85%MHR during this period. My superior performance was probably related to my increased sleep and calorie intake recently.

Diet
    • ~3900 calories
    • Snack 1 - Oatmeal, 10 oz package broccoli, 1-2 oz chicken breast, a few peanuts
    • Snack 2 - Oatmeal, 1-2 oz turkey breast, a few peanuts
    • Meal 1 - Large bowl Nature O’s cereal with skim milk, small serving turkey breast
    • Snack 3 – Air-popped popcorn, ~1 oz turkey breast
    • Meal 2 - Large bowl black beans mixed with brown rice, sweet potato, small serving turkey breast, banana, a few peanuts
    • Meal 3 - Large bowl oatmeal, chicken breast, brown rice, large apple, 10 oz package green beans, a few peanuts
    • Meal 4 - Large bowl Kashi Heart to Heart cereal, 10 oz package peas, 1 ear corn, ~2 oz snapper fillet, cantaloupe

Supplements
    2g flax oil, 3g fish oil, 1 multivitamin/mineral (no iron)
    Last edited by aka23; 05-05-2004 at 08:49 PM.

Nice back workout, the weight you are using on the Hammer Strength Shrugs are awesome!

you haven't missed a beat while I was gone. Workouts are looking great. Thanks for all those HIIT links. I'm going to start implementing HIIT later in the summer if I decide to compete.
    My Journal
    http://wannabebigforums.com/showthread.php?t=119765

I think this is possibly the all-time best response on WBB. - Jorge Sanchez

"you're an animal eat like one damn it!" - Wikked1

"Now we're finally getting to the chicken or the egg question," I grinned. "Did I eat all that food because my size gives me more of an appetite, or did I get to be this big because I've been forcing myself to eat like this for years?"

From A Body Builder is Born

i knew you were a beast but not that kinda of a beast that eats grown men and children.. lilmase

I think that's great how 30 minutes before your session you felt energized and your DOMS disappeared.

mixta,
    Thanks. In recent weeks/months, I have been using heavy weights for shrugs with at least one limited ROM set. PowermanDL makes a good argument about traps responding to overload rather than ROM.

cphafner,
    I have been having a string of good workouts over the past couple weeks. This string may be ending as the workout listed above could have gone better, and my push workout that occurred later this week did not go well. I am glad you appreciated the links. One of the links had some useful information about contest preparation earlier in the article -- http://www.bulknutrition.com/?articleID=30&break=0

Dedicated,
    I was also pleasantly surprised by the change. I often take naps shortly before my intense cardio sessions because after the nap, I usually feel refreshed and have significantly less DOMS. Events like this make me wonder how much of the change is due to the naps and how much is due to hormonal issues. Perhaps I would have a similar response shortly before the activity if I skipped the nap.
    Last edited by aka23; 05-06-2004 at 01:48 PM.

Aka what do you eat immediately before and after cardio?? Im reading those wise links but they are totally overkill on the detail, supplementation-side

I wannabebig!
    im not quite sure and Im not aka but I believe pre is meal 3 and post is meal 4

Allyrulez,

ryuage is correct that meal 3 is usually my pre-cardio meal, and meal 4 is usually my post-cardio meal. Note that I do not eat anything immediately before my cardio sessions. Meal 3 usual occurs about 4 hours before I begin. My post-cardio meal varies depending on the type of session. I have Kashi Heart to Heart cereal, peas, corn, and my usual other foods on the days that I do high-intensity sessions. I have Grape Nuts cereal, succotash, and my other usual foods on the days that I do medium-intensity sessions. I have Organic Oats cereal, brussel sprouts, corn, and my other usual foods on the days that I do low-intensity sessions. The sugar content of the cereals correlates with the intensity of the sessions. I often significantly deplete glycogen during higher intensity sessions and desire sugar. Small amounts can also improve recovery.
    Last edited by aka23; 05-06-2004 at 11:27 PM.

Training Log

Sleep
    I slept approximately 5.5 hours using 25mg doxylamine succinate. I had severe DOMS again today. It was especially noticeable in my back and posterior deltoids. I also felt an aching feeling in some of joints, especially in my lower body. These issues were present earlier in the day. They decreased as the day went on and did not significantly interfere with my evening weight session.

Weights
    Legs, Lower Back & Abs
    • ATF Hack Squats in Sled – Warmup Sets, 4 plates+25 per side x 5 (+5lb), 4p+25 ps x 5 (+5lb), 4p+25 ps x 5 (+5lb)
      I struggled more than I usually do during the first set. The other sets felt easier. The difference may have occurred because I kept my feet in a less forward position, which more closely resembles the way feet are placed during a barbell squat. The woman mentioned in last week's session was directly behind me on the leg press, while I was doing these hack squats. The machines were set up such that she faced me, but I did not face her. We exhanged some looks while I was unolading the plates, but I did not speak to her again.
    • Incline Leg Press – Warmup Set, 10 plates+10 per side x 5 (+10lb), 10p+10 ps x 5 (+10lb), 10p+10 ps x 5 (+10lb)
      These sets were challenging. I came very close to failure during the second set. I saw stars after completing the set, probably because of the inverted position and blood pressure changes. I worry about get stuck at the bottom of the press when using heavy weights. It might be difficult to get assistance from someone around the gym in case of failure. I think I am going to alternate between leg presses and leg extensions in future sessions.
    • Calf Raises in Incline Leg Press – 22 plates x 17(+2R), 24 plates x 13 (+2R), 24p+45 x 9 (+20lb)
      These calf raises went well. In previous sessions, I said that 24 plates is all that can fit on the machine on the poles of the machine. I was able to barely squeeze on an extra 10lb plate on the poles in today's session. This is the absolute limit that can be added to the poles. I reached 24 plates +45 by placing a 25lb plate on the rectangular support bars behind the leg press platform. I am not sure if I can safely fit any more weight on these support bars, so I will need to switch to a new exercise soon. Perhaps I will try one-legged calf raises.
    • SLDLs – Warmup Sets, 335x5 (+1R, grip), 335x4 (grip), 310x6 (grip)
      I tried using chalk for the first time today. I have been limited by my grip in recent workouts. The chalk did not seem to help very much. I was still limited by my grip in all three sets. The first set went reasonably well. I gained a rep over last week before my grip failed. The other sets went poorly. I am especially disappointed with the final set. I did not improve over last week's poor performance. Chalk, SLDLs, and black shorts turned out to be a bad combination. The bar left chalk markings on my shorts, which remained for the rest of the workout. I will probably try a mixed grip or one of my gym's thick bars next week. If that is not enough, then I may purchase some straps.
    • Ab Machine, Forward Crunch – (310)x8 (+1R), (310)x7
      I only improved during the first set. I will probably increment to 315lb next time.
    • Lower Back Extension – (475)x10 (+1R)
      I was able to add 6 reps with a 10lb drop in weight. I suspect that DBs on top of the stack increase the total resistance significantly more than one would expect based on the value of the weight, due to friction of the DBs against the poles of the machine. For example the extra 10lb on the stack to go from 475 to 485 might be equivalent to more than 20lb of stack increments without friction.
    Bold -- maxium weight used for given exercise

General Comments
    None.

Cardio
    Rest Day
    This is a no cardio day under my current split. During earlier months of the journal, I used to do cardio on leg days.

Diet
    • 3600-3700 calories
    • Snack 1 - Oatmeal, 10 oz package broccoli, 1-2 oz turkey breast, a few peanuts
    • Meal 1 – Nature O’s cereal with skim milk, small serving turkey breast
    • Meal 2 - Large bowl black beans mixed with brown rice, sweet potato, small serving turkey breast, orange, a few peanuts
    • Snack 3 - Banana
    • Meal 3 - Large bowl oatmeal, canned tuna, brown rice, apple, 10 oz package green beans, a few peanuts
    • Meal 4 – Large bowl Shredded Wheat with skim milk and cutup banana, 10 oz package brussel sprouts, ~2oz turkey breast

Supplements
    2g flax oil, 3g fish oil
    Last edited by aka23; 05-07-2004 at 04:20 AM.

In several training logs, I have mentioned problems with my laptop. It sometimes crashes with a primary hard drive not found error and may be days before I can boot up again. I can only run it on battery power because it melts power cables. Some of the keys stick, it has no sound, and sometimes I lose control of the touchpad due to excessive electrical charge. I finally broke down and purchased a replacement laptop. I bought an Acer Travelmate 290 LMi. It was the only laptop I could find that met all of my requirements:

--15" Screen
    --At least as light as my previous laptop, a Dell Inspiron 4000
    --At least as thin as my previous laptop
    --At least 1.2G Processor or equivalent performance
    --At least 512 MB RAM
    --Under $1000
    More information about the laptop and pictures can be found at http://www.acer.com/APP/AKC/INTERNET...B?OpenDocument

Overall I am pleased with my purchase. The performance, weight, and size were all better than I expected. I was also surprised by the superior multimedia features. However, it has a few minor problems. When surfing the web, sometimes the browser jumps back to the previous page without me doing anything. This can be quite irritating when I lose partially posted messages. Sometimes the touchpad seems to freeze up for a partial second. I have only noticed these problems when using the Internet Explorer browser. I have not had these problems since I downloaded the latest version of Mozilla (Netscape). I stopped using Netscape after version 5+. They have made quite a few improvements since then. It has useful features such as blocking popups, tabs for browser windows, and a better integrated search. Overall, I prefer it to Explorer.

I still need to install several key software applications. I have taken some new pictures, but I cannot post them using this laptop until I install the appropriate software. It also would be useful to have some type of word processing program with a spell check. I will look for an inexpensive alternative over the weekend.

Looking forward to seeing the pictures!!

Allyrulez,
    I will probably get them onto my new laptop later this weekend.

Tuesday's Training Log

Sleep
    I slept approximately 4.5 hours using 30mg Restoril (benzodiazepine sleeping aid) and 50mg diphenhydramine HCl (OTC antihistamine sleeping aid).

Weights
    Push Day, Emphasis Bench Press
    • Bench Press – Warmup Sets, 250x5 (+1R), 250x4, 250x4
      I expected this to a bad session when my warmup sets felt heavy. I dropped 2 reps with just a 5lb increment in weight. The +1R refers to the last time I did a set with 250lb, back in February. I expected to do at least 6 reps, and I was hoping for 7.
    • Hammer Strength Wide Chest – Warmup Set, 5 plates+2.5 per side x 4, 4 plates+37.5 per side x 6
      These HS Presses also went poorly. Both sets were to failure and I still, was unable to match last weeks non-failure performance. Each set was one rep below last week. I may have had the seat in a lower position than normal, making the presses more difficult. I think I am going to skip this exercise for awhile.
    • Arnold Presses – Warmup Set, 75x7 (+1R), 75x6
      My quads felt very tender while resting the DBs on my legs, before starting the sets. The tenderness is from last night’s leg workout, which only occurred ~9 hours ago.
    • Shoulder Press Machine – Warmup Set, (315)x5 (+5lb), (295)x9 (+4R)
      I usually say that this exercise feels easy, and I have no problem adding 5lb each week. I struggled in today’s session and had to push myself to the edge of failure to improve. I am not sure if the difference is related to the generally poor performance in today’s session, placing plates on the handles instead of extra DBs on the stack, or some combination. I thought I broke the machine on the 9th rep of the final set since there was hardly any resistance during the upper portion of the press. Instead the plate on the pin had caused the pin to slip far enough out that the stack dropped to the bottom of the machine.
    • One-armed Skullcrushers – Warmup Set, 75x8/8 (+5lb), 75x8/8 (+5lb)
      I am calling these skullcrushers, but I actually brought the DBs down towards my shoulders, rather than my skull, and did not keep my upper arm in a fixed position. This exercise really bothered my wrists. I have not felt this much pain during a weight session in a long time. It was bad enough that I thought there was a chance of another arm injury, considering my low bone density in my upper body. I have the arm strength to use heavier weights, but I do not know if my wrists and forearms can support it. The size of the DB limits my ROM more than I would like. This smaller ROM may be connected to my rapid gains.
    • LifeFitness Triceps Machine – 85(up)/119(down) x 6 (+1R), 80(up)/112(down) x 11 (+1R)
      I set eccentric (down) weight at 40% greater than concentric (up) weight. I usually make rapid gains on this exercise. In today’s session, I had to push myself to the edge of failure to improve on the concentric portion of the press, and I had poor control during the eccentric portion. Each eccentric rep felt like a negative with far too much weight. I plan to find a substitute exercise next week..
    Bold = Largest weight ever used for given exercise
    (+X R) = Personal best for a particular arm, less than overall personal best

General Comments
    This was one of the worst weight sessions I have had in weeks. In my option, I lost strength in at least half of the exercises. I phrase it like that because comparisons to previous weeks can be misleading since most exercises were closer to failure than in previous weeks, and several of the rep gains are compared to sets from many weeks ago. I seem more likely to have a bad workout when I do this bench push session than when I do any of my other workouts. I wonder if this is related to usually doing an intense leg workout just 9 hours before this session. A guy at the gym said I was like the bionic man (1970’s movies/tv series) today.

Cardio
    Cycling, moderate intensity

During the evening, I had severe DOMS in my back, calves, quads, and hamstrings. I have had significant muscle soreness in my back for a portion of the past 4 consecutive days. The muscle soreness was enough to interfere with this workout. The muscle soreness became less noticeable as the workout continued, probably due to an endorphin effect.

I did the first 40 minutes at a cadence starting at about 89RPM. I was on pace to break my distance record by about 0.4%. However, my pace usually slows during the later portion of the workout. My HR was ~80%MHR towards the end of this period, which is normal. I did the final 20 minutes at one level lower and a cadence of approximately 98RPM. I kept things easier than I usually do since I was having such a good session. I broke my distance record by 0.01miles or 0.04%. If I had pushed myself during the final 20 minutes, I probably could have reached a gain of about 0.3%. My HR was approximately 70-75%MHR during the final portion of the workout, which is significantly below normal.

Diet
    • 3900-4000 calories
    • Snack 1 – Oatmeal, 10 oz package broccoli, 1-2 oz turkey breast, a few peanuts
    • Snack 3 – Air-popped popcorn, ~1 oz turkey breast
    • Meal 1 – Large bowl Shredded Wheat with skim milk and cutup banana, small serving snapper fillet
    • Meal 2 - Large bowl black beans mixed with brown rice, sweet potato, small serving turkey breast, orange, a few peanuts
    • Meal 3 - Large bowl oatmeal chicken breast, brown rice, pear, 10 oz package green beans, a few peanuts
    • Meal 4 – Large bowl Grape Nuts with skim milk, 10 oz succotash, ~2 oz snapper fillet, grapes

Supplements
    3g fish oil, 2g flax oil

Wannabebig Member

Software suggestions.

You mention the need for an inexpensive wordprocessor and I felt the need to suggest openoffice.org, it is truly an amazing piece of software and its totally free. Also, while mozilla is great, Firefox is another awesome browser with the same capabilities but a lot less bloat. Its made by the same group as mozilla and in my opinion is the best product out there right now. Check them out if you get the chance.
    Read my journal!! Give me tips, tell me why I suck and need to do something different anything just read it !!!!
    http://www.wannabebigforums.com/showthread.php?s=&threadid=33812

Quote Originally Posted by aka23
    A guy at the gym said I was like the bionic man (1970’s movies/tv series) today.
    Was that in reference to your physique?

Your HS pressing is impressive. Your benching strength is pretty similar to mine, but I couldn't fathom 5 PPS on the wide press.
    Height: 5'7"
    Weight: Not Big Enough

“Take things as they are. Punch when you have to punch. Kick when you have to kick.” — Bruce Lee

Nice choice with the laptop.

Is the website transaction etc. all over and finished now?

Do you have any other plans with new ideas?

Quote Originally Posted by wordodd
    You mention the need for an inexpensive wordprocessor and I felt the need to suggest openoffice.org, it is truly an amazing piece of software and its totally free. Also, while mozilla is great, Firefox is another awesome browser with the same capabilities but a lot less bloat. Its made by the same group as mozilla and in my opinion is the best product out there right now. Check them out if you get the chance.
    I also use firefox, I like it. I'm not a big fan of Open Office and prefer Microsoft Word. Unfortunately word is not free, but you can always download the torrent:evillaugh Here's a website where you can get the torrents http://www.suprnova.org/

I have taken some new pictures, but I cannot post them using this laptop until I install the appropriate software
    Looking forward to seeing the pictures.
    Last edited by Dedicated; 05-08-2004 at 11:01 AM.

wordodd,
    Thanks for the software suggestions. I have installed both Firefox and OpenOffice.org. I prefer Firefox to Netscape. I think Firefox has a superior user interface. The missing "Home" button was one of the few things I disliked about Netscape. This button is included in Firefox. OpenOffice.org is exactly the type of word processing application that I was looking for. It has the key features that I need and is free. The spreadsheet function is also useful.

Saint Patrick,
    I suspect the bionic man comment was primarily in reference to my surgical scar, and the titanium plates that were added to my arm. My heavy lifts, cold personality, and solid appearance may have also been factors.

Thanks. It can be misleading to compare lifts on machines like the HS Wide Press. I have found that things like grip and seat position can greatly effect the lifts. I keep my hands in an inward position. I would not be able to press as much, if I kept my hands in a position on the outer portion of the handles.

My bench press has always been one of my weakest lifts and weak compared to similar exercises. For example I did an incline DB set of 112.5 lb x 6 this morning. I suspect that most people who can press this much would have a bench press over 300lb. My bench press drops off quickly at lower reps since I rarely do sets with fewer than 5 reps. I believe that my flat press is about the same as my incline press and far below my decline press. If I used an arch and made the flat press more like a decline press, then I could probably press significantly more weight.

Exnor,
    The website transaction is complete. I have received the laptop and have been using it since Monday. I am pleased with my purchase. Overall the laptop has exceeded my expectations. I recall that you also purchased an Acer laptop. I think several of their products are well designed and good values. I do not have plans for any other purchases at the moment. I may purchase some software, if I decide that I realize something is missing.

Dedicated,
    I am also enjoying the Firefox browser. I have been using Microsoft Word almost continuously for the past 10 years. I used it during college, at work, and at home. I think it is a great product, but it is not worth the $100 price for an upgrade to me. I am going to try OpenOffice.org for now. I may look into the torrents and a later time. I will probably get my digital camera software on the new laptop later this evening, so I can download pictures.
    Last edited by aka23; 05-08-2004 at 02:55 PM.