Yesterday's Training Log
This is the training log for Tuesday, May 20th
I slept a total of 5.5 hours using 15 mg of Restoril and 10mg Sonata (prescription sleeping aids). I slept about 4.5 hours, then took a 1 hour nap later in the day.
Doorway Width Chin-ups -- BW+40 x 6.5*, BW+30 x 7*
Underhand Chin-ups -- BW+45 x 7*
EZ Bar Curls 110x5*, 100x8.5
DB Concentration Curls -- 50x6.5/6.5, 45x11/11*
Dumbbell Rows -- 107x8/8*, 102x10/10*
Upright Rows 110x8*, 100x10*
Barbell Shrugs -- 225x6*, 205x10*
Bold = Largest weight ever used for given exercise
* = Personal Record, Record number of reps at a given weight or record maximum weight
Most sets were personal bests or record maximum weights. I added 20lb to my shrug maximum. I added 5lb to my chin and db row maximums. I am glad to get to 8 reps on the upright rows, so I can move up the weight next week. I am disappointed with the curls. I only gained one rep on the EZ bar and had no gains on the first concentration set.
I find it interesting that my dumbbell shrugs are ahead of my barbell shrugs. I did 6 reps of bb shrugs at 225, but I can do more than 6 reps with 225/2 lb dumbbells. I think that on all of my other exercises, my bb max is more than 2x my db max. The difference is probably related to bb shrugs being a new exercise. This is only the second time I have done them.
Running/Elliptical Trainer -- High Intensity
I did my usual increasing speed workout on the treadmill. I started at 7.5mph and increased speed every 5 minutes until I reached 9.5mph. The workout felt quite a bit tougher than usual. Like last week, my pulse rate was about 165 (85% MHR) at 9.5mph. And again, I am still not ready to go to 10mph.
Next I did two short hill programs on the elliptical trainer. The first one had 48 second high / 48 second low intervals. The second had 45 second intervals. My heart reached a max of 170-175 on the final intervals. Like the running, these hills felt more difficult that usual.
I sweated excessively throughout the cardio, especially in the second half. I cannot recall ever sweating this much during a workout. Perhaps the temperature in my gym was above normal.
I finished off the Life Cereal today. There was a good-sized clump of pure sugar at the bottom of the box. It made the cereal taste much sweeter than normal.
- ~3600 calories
- 1:45AM 2:15AM - Oatmeal, 1 package broccoli, 1/3 snapper fillet, a few peanuts
- 4:00AM 4:30AM - Oatmeal, 1/3 snapper fillet
- 6:00AM ½ large orange
- Weightlifting Workout
- 7:00AM - 7:45AM - Large bowl Shredded Wheat with skim milk and cut up banana, snapper fillet, a few peanuts
- 11:30AM 12:30AM - Large bowl black beans mixed with brown rice, sweet potato, small serving chicken breast, ½ large orange, a few peanuts
- 3:45PM - 4:15PM - Banana
- 4:45PM 5:30PM - Large bowl oatmeal, chicken breast, brown rice, 1 package green beans, apple, a few peanuts
- Cardio Workout
- 10:00PM 10:45PM - Large bowl Life Cereal with skim milk, 1 package peas, ½ cantaloupe
1g flax oil, 2g fish oil