The Five Biggest Contradictions in Fitness
Latest Article

The Five Biggest Contradictions in Fitness

It’s no secret that when people contradict themselves, it has the effect of making the flaws in their actions or statements seem glaringly obvious. But what about when WE ourselves get caught contradicting ourselves by someone else?

By: Nick Tumminello Added: January 6th, 2014
More Recent Articles
Contrast Training for Size
By: Lee Boyce
An Interview with Marianne Kane of Girls Gone Strong
By: Jordan Syatt
What Supplements Should I be Taking? By: Jay Wainwright
Bench Like a Girl By: Julia Ladewski
Some Thoughts on Building a Big Pull By: Christopher Mason

Facebook Join Facebook Group       Twitter Follow on Twitter       rss Subscribe via RSS
Page 12 of 161 FirstFirst ... 210111213142262112 ... LastLast

Thread: Training Log

Yesterday's Training Log
    This is the training log for Tuesday, May 20th

Sleep
    I slept a total of 5.5 hours using 15 mg of Restoril and 10mg Sonata (prescription sleeping aids). I slept about 4.5 hours, then took a 1 hour nap later in the day.

Weights
    Pull Day
    Doorway Width Chin-ups -- BW+40 x 6.5*, BW+30 x 7*
    Underhand Chin-ups -- BW+45 x 7*
    EZ Bar Curls – 110x5*, 100x8.5
    DB Concentration Curls -- 50x6.5/6.5, 45x11/11*
    Dumbbell Rows -- 107x8/8*, 102x10/10*
    Upright Rows – 110x8*, 100x10*
    Barbell Shrugs -- 225x6*, 205x10*

Bold = Largest weight ever used for given exercise
    * = Personal Record, Record number of reps at a given weight or record maximum weight

Most sets were personal bests or record maximum weights. I added 20lb to my shrug maximum. I added 5lb to my chin and db row maximums. I am glad to get to 8 reps on the upright rows, so I can move up the weight next week. I am disappointed with the curls. I only gained one rep on the EZ bar and had no gains on the first concentration set.

I find it interesting that my dumbbell shrugs are ahead of my barbell shrugs. I did 6 reps of bb shrugs at 225, but I can do more than 6 reps with 225/2 lb dumbbells. I think that on all of my other exercises, my bb max is more than 2x my db max. The difference is probably related to bb shrugs being a new exercise. This is only the second time I have done them.

Cardio
    Running/Elliptical Trainer -- High Intensity
    I did my usual increasing speed workout on the treadmill. I started at 7.5mph and increased speed every 5 minutes until I reached 9.5mph. The workout felt quite a bit tougher than usual. Like last week, my pulse rate was about 165 (85% MHR) at 9.5mph. And again, I am still not ready to go to 10mph.

Next I did two short hill programs on the elliptical trainer. The first one had 48 second high / 48 second low intervals. The second had 45 second intervals. My heart reached a max of 170-175 on the final intervals. Like the running, these hills felt more difficult that usual.

I sweated excessively throughout the cardio, especially in the second half. I cannot recall ever sweating this much during a workout. Perhaps the temperature in my gym was above normal.

Diet
    • ~3600 calories
    • 1:45AM – 2:15AM - Oatmeal, 1 package broccoli, 1/3 snapper fillet, a few peanuts
    • 4:00AM – 4:30AM - Oatmeal, 1/3 snapper fillet
    • 6:00AM – ½ large orange
    • Weightlifting Workout
    • 7:00AM - 7:45AM - Large bowl Shredded Wheat with skim milk and cut up banana, snapper fillet, a few peanuts
    • 11:30AM – 12:30AM - Large bowl black beans mixed with brown rice, sweet potato, small serving chicken breast, ½ large orange, a few peanuts
    • 3:45PM - 4:15PM - Banana
    • 4:45PM – 5:30PM - Large bowl oatmeal, chicken breast, brown rice, 1 package green beans, apple, a few peanuts
    • Cardio Workout
    • 10:00PM – 10:45PM - Large bowl Life Cereal with skim milk, 1 package peas, ½ cantaloupe
    I finished off the Life Cereal today. There was a good-sized clump of pure sugar at the bottom of the box. It made the cereal taste much sweeter than normal.

Supplements
    1g flax oil, 2g fish oil
    Last edited by aka23; 05-21-2003 at 09:44 PM.

Great job on the new records aka. Glad to see ya doin so well. Keep up the good work man!!
    " ...if all else fails, just whip out those b'normous biceps!!!!!!! Teh lad33z <3 teh str3ngth!"- McIrish

"An Irishman has an abiding sense of tragedy which sustains him through temporary periods of joy..."

"When a man is in love, is jealous, and has been whipped by the Inquisition, he is no longer himself..."- Voltaire

Originally posted by clvmike19
    Great job on the new records aka. Glad to see ya doin so well. Keep up the good work man!!
    Thanks. I tend to make good progress on pull days. It was a good workout, but the curls could have been better.

Once again nice work aka. You seem to be setting PRs every session without fail.

Originally posted by Mik
    Once again nice work aka. You seem to be setting PRs every session without fail.
    lol i agree. why bother even checking in on this journal anymore? ill just assume that aka has set a new PR every w/o

Selfproclaimed Fancy Pants wibble's Avatar
    Great job aka! You're doing really good as usual! Don't worry about the curls, I wish I could curl that much.

Originally posted by Mik
    Originally posted by GhettoSmurf
    lol i agree. why bother even checking in on this journal anymore? ill just assume that aka has set a new PR every w/o
    Thanks. I believe that I have set some PRs and record max's with every weight session in this journal. There are a number of reasons for this:

1. I slowly increment weights and reps with every workout. I do not occasionally test 1-3 rep maxes like many users on this forum do .

2. This is my first controlled attempt at bulking, involving tracking daily calories and weekly weight gain goals.

3. I am seeing the benefits of a new routine and new exercises. I first started using dumbbells and EZ curl bars in Feb. I started a new split that has been very effective in the week before beginning the journal (early April).

I expect that my gains will slow down in the near future. I am already starting to see slowdowns on my bicep and chest exercises.

Originally posted by wibble
    Great job aka! You're doing really good as usual! Don't worry about the curls, I wish I could curl that much.
    Thanks, wibble. I am happy with my bicep strength. I think that it is out of proportion with some of my other body parts. However, it bothers me whenever I am not making progress.

Yesterday's Training Log
    This is the training log for Wednesday, May 21th

Sleep
    I slept a 4.5 hours using 15mg Restoril and 10mg Sonata (prescription sleeping aids), then took a 1 hour nap in the evening.

I have mentioned in an earlier journal that Restoril helps me remember my dreams. I found it interesting that I had a dream about weightlifting, just minutes before my weightlifting session began. I was also doing a leg day in my dream, but the similarities ended there. I was at an unfamiliar gym instead of at home like today’s session. My dream also involved people from my high school and had an erotic component, which was quite different from today’s lifting session.

Weights
    Quads & Abs Day
    Hack Squats -- 205x10*
    Squats -- 260x8*
    Full Squats -- 205x15*
    Barbell Lunges -- 130x10/10*
    Dumbbell Step-ups (22" Platform) -- 60x10/10*
    Crunches -- BW+25 x 15*, BW+15x15
    Twisting Crunches -- BW+30 x 15*
    Leg Raise Type Exercises -- BW+52 x 15* , several other types and sets

* = Personal Record, Record number of reps at a given weight or record weight at a given number or reps

I increased my maximum by 20lb on the hack squats; by 10 lb on the squats; by 5lb lunges and crunches; by 3lb per dumbbell (6 lb total) on the step-ups. I was able to increase the weight while maintaining my usual reps on all exercises except for the hack squats.

This is the second time I have done hack squats. I think I am going to use them as a warmup for my squats. I was planning to do a set of 12, but had to stop early because my grip gave out. My legs can probably hack squat as much as I can squat, but I am not able to hold the weight with my hands for long periods of time.

I have been doing lunges with an EZ curl bar. This is getting rough on my shoulders, and it is becoming increasingly difficult to clean and press the bar over my head and onto my shoulders. I think I will start using a standard olympic barbell next week. I hope that I have been estimating the weight of my EZ-curl bar correctly, so there are no surprises next week. My heart rate reached over 170 when doing the dumbbell step ups and was also quite high after the set of 15 full squats. This workout left me feeling quite exhausted.

Cardio
    Cycling, moderate intensity
    This workout went very well. I did the first 1/4 at my regular level and all the rest except for the cooldown at the new higher level. This is the largest portion of my workout I have done at the higher level. It is not surprising that I also broke my distance record by a small margin in this workout.

Diet
    • 3500-3600 calories
    • 1:45AM-2:15AM – Oatmeal, 1/3 snapper fillet, 1 package broccoli, a few peanuts
    • 4:15AM-4:45AM - Oatmeal, 1/3 snapper fillet
    • 6:00AM – A few orange slices
    • Weightlifting Workout
    • 7:00AM-7:45AM - Large bowl Shredded Wheat with skim milk and cut up banana, snapper fillet, a few peanuts
    • 11:30AM-12:30PM - Large bowl black beans mixed with brown rice, sweet potato, small serving chicken breast, ½ orange, a few peanuts
    • 4:15PM – ½ banana
    • 4:45PM-5:45PM - Large bowl oatmeal, chicken breast, brown rice, one package green beans, apple, a few peanuts
    • Cardio Workout
    • 10:00PM-10:45PM - Grape Nuts with skim milk, succotash, leftover fruit (½ banana, ½ orange, 2 cantaloupe slices)
    I have recently started eating a bit of fruit before my weightlifting workout. I feel like it gives me a boost.

Supplements
    2g flax oil, 1g fish oil
    Last edited by aka23; 05-23-2003 at 10:29 AM.

I have attached a graph of my heart rate during last week's HIIT. I outlined the heart rate in blue and marked key peaks and troughs. On the 1st interval, my HR peaked at 150 (78% of estimated MHR). The peaks reached higher and higher levels until the 13th interval, where I peaked at 187 (97% of estimated MHR). 187 bpm is probably the highest reliable reading I have ever recorded. My workout is outlined below:
    • 3 min -- Warmup
    • 2 min -- 6 mph
    • Interval 1 -- 1 min 11.0 mph / 1 min 7 mph
    • Interval 2 -- 1 min 11.5 mph / 1 min 7 mph
    • Interval 3 -- 1 min 12.0 mph / 1 min 7 mph
    • Interval 4 -- 1 min 12.0 mph + 1% incline / 1 min 7 mph
    • Interval 5 -- 1 min 12.0 mph + 2% incline / 1 min 7 mph
    • Interval 6 -- 1 min 11.0 mph / 1 min 7 mph
    • Interval 7 -- 1 min 11.5 mph / 1 min 7 mph
    • Interval 8 -- 1 min 12.0 mph / 1 min 7 mph
    • Interval 9 -- 1 min 12.0 mph +1% incline / 1 min 7 mph
    • Interval 10 -- 1 min 11.0 mph / 1 min 7 mph
    • Interval 11 -- 1 min 11.5 mph / 1 min 7 mph
    • Interval 12 -- 1 min 12.0 mph / 1 min 7 mph
    • Interval 13 -- 1 min 11.0 mph / 1 min 7 mph
    • Interval 14 -- 1 min 11.5 mph / 1 min 7 mph
    • Interval 15 -- 1 min 11.0 mph / 1 min 7 mph
    • 5 min -- Cooldown
    I will probably compare to this workout (from last week) when I post yesterday's training log. Yesterday's HIIT did not go quite as well.
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Last edited by aka23; 05-23-2003 at 12:13 PM.

Originally posted by aka23

Thanks, wibble. I am happy with my bicep strength. I think that it is out of proportion with some of my other body parts. However, it bothers me whenever I am not making progress.
    I hear ya! I feel my pull days are much better than push (except squats). I feel my back and bi's are much stronger than hest and tri's. But, as long as I progress it's all good. You've done an amazing job at bulking while keeping bf down. I wish I were so disciplined.

Hi Aka, thought I'd drop in on your journal.......GEEZ your cardio sessions are intense!!!!...no wonder you've got the washboard set of abs.....(I hope you don't mind I'm kind of inspired by that).....gives me something to shoot for......I agree 100% about the fruit before workout.....I get the same thing......kind of run down by days end .I will have to learn how to do this HIIT on my treadmill.....it doesn't have "programs" but it's got speed control I can adjust on the fly....but anyway....you got a nice journal and one hell of a routine going Keep up the great work....

Originally posted by Mik
    I hear ya! I feel my pull days are much better than push (except squats). I feel my back and bi's are much stronger than hest and tri's. But, as long as I progress it's all good. You've done an amazing job at bulking while keeping bf down. I wish I were so disciplined.
    I think my biceps are one of my proportionally strongest body parts, while my chest is one of my weakest areas. My back and triceps fall somewhere in between. I find it interesting to compare journals and read how some persons have one or two disproporrtionately strong body parts.

When I started this journal I was quite concerned about gaining fat during my bulk. I had planned to gain weight very slowly to minimize my chances of gaining unwanted fat. So far I have been pleasantly surprised. According to BF measures, I have lost a small amount of fat while gaining a significant amount of muscle.
    Last edited by aka23; 05-23-2003 at 08:24 PM.

Originally posted by Wikked1
    Hi Aka, thought I'd drop in on your journal.......GEEZ your cardio sessions are intense!!!!...no wonder you've got the washboard set of abs.....(I hope you don't mind I'm kind of inspired by that).....gives me something to shoot for......I agree 100% about the fruit before workout.....I get the same thing......kind of run down by days end .I will have to learn how to do this HIIT on my treadmill.....it doesn't have "programs" but it's got speed control I can adjust on the fly....but anyway....you got a nice journal and one hell of a routine going Keep up the great work....
    Wikked1,

Thanks for the compliments. Most of my cardio sessions are not as intense as the one described above. On some days I do low intensity, on some medium intensity, and on some high intensity. My HIIT sessions are usually the highest intensity of all. When I do this workout, I do not use any of my treadmill's interval programs. Instead, I manually adjust the speed. I type the numbers rather than use the up/down arrows to avoid long delays while the speed changes. Some more information about HIIT and some basic HIIT routines are can be found in the links below. Note that HIIT can be done on other cardio machines or outside, as well as the treadmill. Good luck with your goals.

http://www.youronlinefitness.com/Fit...l_training.htm
    http://www.exrx.net/FatLoss/HIITvsET.html
    http://www.musclemedia.com/training/hiit.asp
    http://davedraper.com/interval-cardio-description.html
    http://www.trainforstrength.com/Endurance1.shtml
    Last edited by aka23; 05-23-2003 at 08:17 PM.

On Auto Pilot:******* Huge Alke's Avatar
    hey aka, awesome workouts man!!!!!!!

I know what you mean about the weight gain. your doing great with that!!!I think even if you gained some BF (I know heaven forbid) it would still look great on you. Your cut up as hell dude! For myself since I am bulking I thought a gain in BF would look terrible, but even at 12% people think I am cutting LOL

Rest assured, when I do cut I will be using a few journals here as my inspiration and places to go for information (I dont know a damn thing about HITT), your jounal is one I follopw pretty regularly....Keep it up bro' Your doing AWESOME!!!!!
    My Journal
    Progress Pic

1RM's
    30MAY03 = 800 Total - Bench 230, Squat 245, Deadlift 325
    22OCT04 = 960 Total - Bench 275, Squat 305, Deadlift 380

Most push-ups in one minute = 102 (BW:195lbs)

Some men see things as they are and say, "Why?" I dream things that never were and say, "Why not?" - George B. Shaw

FOOD is my drug of choice

Kenn,

Thanks for the kind words. You are probably right about the body fat, but I hope I do not gain enough to find out. I also follow your journal on a regular basis.

I find it interesting that my dumbbell shrugs are ahead of my barbell shrugs. I did 6 reps of bb shrugs at 225, but I can do more than 6 reps with 225/2 lb dumbbells. I think that on all of my other exercises, my bb max is more than 2x my db max. The difference is probably related to bb shrugs being a new exercise. This is only the second time I have done them.
    What is the thickness of the DB handle you use compared to the Flat Bar? For me I tend to shrug less weight with the flat bar because the the thickness of the bar is more than the thickness of the handle of the DB's I use. Good links there on HIIT too, my cardio sometimes consists of running on very steep sandhills which is really taxing on the legs.

Originally posted by mixta
    What is the thickness of the DB handle you use compared to the Flat Bar? For me I tend to shrug less weight with the flat bar because the the thickness of the bar is more than the thickness of the handle of the DB's I use. Good links there on HIIT too, my cardio sometimes consists of running on very steep sandhills which is really taxing on the legs.
    I took some measurements. My bar is a common Olympic bar. Its handles have a circumference of ~3.7", so its diameter is about 1.2". My DB handles have a circumference of ~3.4", so its diameter is about 1.1". I do not know if this extra 0.1" of thickness is enough to make a difference.

Running up sand hills does sound rough on the legs. When I was in college, I used to run up and down the hills behind campus, in the area where the satellite dish was. These workouts were quite strenuous. They also wore out my shoes quickly. A picture of the hills/dish is below. The steep portion of the hills is not shown in the picture. The dish is about 150 feet in diameter and weighs over 300,000 lbs.

Last edited by aka23; 05-24-2003 at 01:57 PM.

Thursday's Training Log
    This is the training log for Thursday, May 22nd

Sleep
    I slept approximately 5.5 hours last night using 30mg Restoril and 10mg Sonata (prescription sleeping aids). I intended to take a nap later in the day, so I would be refreshed for my intense evening cardio. Instead I met with a guy I know from my web site. We spent several hours of the evening talking, and he recorded a digital interview with me.

Weights
    Push Day
    Dumbbell Flat Press -- Warmup Set, 92x6*, 87x7L, 77x10L
    Dumbbell Incline Press – 77x5*, 72x7/8*
    Dumbbell Flyes -- 62x9*
    Dumbbell Overhead Press – 62x6*, 57x8.5*
    Dumbbell Front Raises -- 40x8*, 35x10*
    Skullcrushers -- 110x8*, 105x9.5*
    Dumbbell Kickbacks – 52x8*, 47x12*

* = Personal Best, Record number of reps at a given weight
    L = Low, Extra-large Range of Motion

All sets were record maximums or improvements over previous weeks. However, I only gained a rep or a couple lbs on most exercises. I increased my maximum by 3lb on the front raises. I increased my maximum by 2lb on the incline press, overhead press, and kickbacks.

My weak point in the bench press is at the bottom, so I have been doing DB presses below my nipple and substituting DB presses & machines for bench presses. I took the second working set of DB presses below my nipple, and I took the third as far down as I could stretch while keeping my forearms straight. After a 3.5 week break, I will test out my bench press on Sunday.

I switched back from triceps extensions to skullcrushers. I was able to add 3 reps to at my previous max of 110. Next week I will move up to 115.

Cardio
    HIIT, Long & Medium Intervals
    My legs were feeling a bit sore when I started this workout, and they got sorer as the workout went on. I just was not at 100%, so I cut down on the intensity and stayed at 11mph for the later intervals. This is my first time doing treadmill intervals shorter than 1 min. The 45-second intervals got my heart rate up higher than the 1-min intervals, yet the felt easier. The 30-second intervals felt easiest of all and did not get my heart rate up as high as the 45 second ones. The difference may be related to the 7 seconds or so it takes for the treadmill to change speeds. The 30-second intervals were really 23 seconds at 11 mph, 23 seconds at 7mph, and 14 seconds between 7 and 11 mph when the treadmill was changing speeds. The 7 seconds to change speeds becomes less significant as the length of the intervals increase. My workout is outlined below:

• 3 min -- Warmup
    • 2 min -- 6 mph
    • Interval 1 -- 1 min 11.0 mph / 1 min 7 mph
    • Interval 2 -- 1 min 11.5 mph / 1 min 7 mph
    • Interval 3 -- 1 min 12.0 mph / 1 min 7 mph
    • Interval 4 -- 1 min 12.0 mph + 1% incline / 1 min 7 mph
    • Interval 5 -- 1 min 12.0 mph / 1 min 7 mph
    • Interval 6 -- 1 min 11.5 mph / 1 min 7 mph
    • Interval 7 -- 1 min 11.0 mph / 1 min 7 mph
    • Intervals 8-15 – 45 seconds 11 mph / 45 seconds 7 mph
    • Intervals 16-20 – 30 seconds 11 mph / 30 seconds 7 mph
    • 7 min -- Cooldown
    Diet
    • ~3300 calories???
    • Meal 1 - Large bowl Shredded Wheat Cereal with skim milk and cut banana, snapper fillet, a few peanuts
    • Meal 2 - Large bowl black beans mixed with brown rice, sweet potato, small serving chicken breast, 1/2 large orange, a few peanuts
    • Meal 3 - Large bowl oatmeal, 1 can tuna, brown rice, 1 package green beans, apple, a few peanuts
    • Meal 4 - Large bowl Organic Oats cereal with skim milk, succotash, 1 large orange
    • Snack 1 - Oatmeal, 1 package broccoli, 1/3 snapper fillet, a few peanuts
    • Snack 2 - Banana
    This is the smallest calorie total since 5/3. I am not sure why the total was so low. I did not feel any hungrier than usual. I may have made some type of error in my recordings. I seem to have skipped one of my nighttime snacks. Perhaps I forgot about it because of the large amount of sleeping medications taken shortly before this snack. A common side effect of hypnotics like Ambien and Sonata is

“Memory problems: Sleep medicines may cause a special type of memory loss or ‘amnesia.’ When this occurs, a person may not remember what has happened for several hours after taking the medicine. This is usually not a problem since most people fall asleep after taking the medicine.”

Supplements
    1.3g borage oil, 1g fish oil
    Last edited by aka23; 05-24-2003 at 06:10 PM.

that area by stanford is beautiful *sigh* florida is a wasteland.
    Pup, in reference to me: "he's like Budiak...but worse"

Budiak: "Statistically I've gained almost an inch on my arms...but thats just theory, and we know what theory gets us. Thats right. Communism."

BigChaseyChase: "Cutting, there will not be!"

sir millard mulch: "I could probably punch some chick really hard at this point"

Galileo - "Someday maybe I'll be able to use the big boy weights like RG570."

Awesome pic there of the hills you used to run on. I can imagine how strenuous the workouts must be. Is all that land there privately owned? Thats a nice piece of landsape, that dish in the background is amazing A link on the dunes I run on are here:

http://www.thebigrush.com.au/travel/...on%20Beach.htm

http://members.ozemail.com.au/~horizonsafaris7/

http://www.greatdividetours.com.au/G...Tour01n03L.jpg

I took some measurements. My bar is a common Olympic bar. Its handles have a circumference of ~3.7", so its diameter is about 1.2". My DB handles have a circumference of ~3.4", so its diameter is about 1.1". I do not know if this extra 0.1" of thickness is enough to make a difference.
    Yeah youre right about that small difference in thickness. It was just a stab in the dark by me as the DB handles at the gym are damn near half the diameter (maybe, maybe not but enough to make a difference grip wise) of the olympic bar there

On the DB presses (flat and incline) how do you get the DB's in position before you start pressing?
    Last edited by mixta; 05-24-2003 at 11:19 PM.

Originally posted by RG570
    that area by stanford is beautiful *sigh* florida is a wasteland.
    The appearance varies by season. In some months, it looks very nice. In other months, the lack of rain causes the grass to change color. During the summer months, the total precipitation is usually less than 0.25 inches. There is usually under 1 inch rain between the months of May and Sep. The picture at http://news-service.stanford.edu/new...s_sean_300.jpg shows an environmental restoration project going on in the same area. This picture looks much like a "wasteland." A more typical view of the trails is at http://www.med.stanford.edu/center/p.../foothills.jpg
    Last edited by aka23; 05-24-2003 at 11:39 PM.

Originally posted by mixta
    Awesome pic there of the hills you used to run on. I can imagine how strenuous the workouts must be. Is all that land there privately owned? Thats a nice piece of landsape, that dish in the background is amazing A link on the dunes I run on are here...
    Stanford owns about 2000 acres of foothills behind the main campus. The satellite dish is owned and maintained by SRI International.

The sand dunes in your pictures look impressive. I live quite close to the beach, yet I have never seen anywhere near that much sand. I hope you do not have to pay the $5 fee mentioned in the first article each time you run.

On the DB presses (flat and incline) how do you get the DB's in position before you start pressing?
    When doing flat presses, I rest the dumbbells on my knees while in a sitting position. I then raise my knees while lifting the dumbbells into the air and lying down on the bench. This procedure looks much like the animation on the lower left.

When doing incline presses, I use a different bench with a leg extension attached. I start out with the dumbbells on my knees, I raise my feet onto the top of the leg extension so my knees are at a 45 degree angle while keeping the dumbbells on my knees, then I bring the dumbbells to the start of the lifting position. An alternative more standard procedure is pictured on the lower right.

When doing seated overhead presses, I get the dumbbells into position by doing a clean while standing over the bench. Then I sit down, and begin the lift. I feel that this gives me more starting momemntum than the knee approach. This cleaning method does not work as well for the incline presses because I find it awkward to lie down on an incline bench while holding heavy dumbbells above my chest after completing the clean.

Last edited by aka23; 05-25-2003 at 10:59 AM.

Aka23 what is the difference between squats and full squats? I am assuming the full squats are ATF squats due to the decrease in weight.

Nice work on the PR's as usual Also what type of website do you run?

Originally posted by bradley
    Aka23 what is the difference between squats and full squats? I am assuming the full squats are ATF squats due to the decrease in weight.
    i know im not aka12, but my definition of a Full Squat, is basically ATF. And then my definition of a Squat, is @ parallel(sp?) or a little lower