The Five Biggest Contradictions in Fitness
Latest Article

The Five Biggest Contradictions in Fitness

Itís no secret that when people contradict themselves, it has the effect of making the flaws in their actions or statements seem glaringly obvious. But what about when WE ourselves get caught contradicting ourselves by someone else?

By: Nick Tumminello Added: January 6th, 2014
More Recent Articles
Contrast Training for Size
By: Lee Boyce
An Interview with Marianne Kane of Girls Gone Strong
By: Jordan Syatt
What Supplements Should I be Taking? By: Jay Wainwright
Bench Like a Girl By: Julia Ladewski
Some Thoughts on Building a Big Pull By: Christopher Mason

Facebook Join Facebook Group       Twitter Follow on Twitter       rss Subscribe via RSS
Page 13 of 161 FirstFirst ... 311121314152363113 ... LastLast

Thread: Training Log

bradley,

You and GhettoSmurf have the right idea about full squats being ATF squats. I am using the definitions listed at http://www.exrx.net/Lists/ExList/Thi...l#anchor172012 . When doing squats, I go down to parallel or just beyond parallel. When doing full squats, I go down until my knees are fully bent.

I own a hobby website. It has a messageboard, a lot of information/pictures, and gets 1-2.5 million hits per day. After a lot of thought, I have decided to keep my identity separate on this website for the time being. Perhaps in the future, I will give out the URL of the site.

Friday's Training Log
    This is the training log for Friday, May 23rd.

Sleep
    I slept approximately 5.5 hours last night using 15mg Restoril and 10mg Sonata (sleeping aids). This finished off my test samples of Sonata. Sonata is not covered by my insurance, and I do not want to pay the $75 for a prescription refill. Instead, I am going to substitute Ambien. Ambien and Sonata are both hypnotics that bind to the same GABA-BZ receptor. Sonata tends to bring on sleep more quickly than Ambien and act for a shorter period of time. On review sites, users report that Ambien is much more effective than Sonata. However, Ambien is also more likely to bring on rebound insomnia or other unwanted side effects.

Weights
    Rest Day
    My legs are a bit sore, but it is much less than usual for a rest day.

Cardio
    Cycling -- Very low intensity, very long duration

Diet
    • 3400-3500 calories
    • 2:00AM-2:30AM - Oatmeal, 1/3 snapper fillet, 1 package broccoli, a few peanuts
    • 4:30AM-5:00AM - Oatmeal, 1/3 snapper fillet
    • 7:15AM-8:00AM - Nature O's Cereal with skim milk, snapper fillet, 1/2 orange, a few peanuts
    • 11:30AM-12:30PM - Large bowl black beans mixed with brown rice, sweet potato, snapper fillet, 1/2 large orange, a few peanuts
    • 3:45PM - 1 large orange
    • 4:45PM-5:45PM - Large bowl oatmeal, 1 can tuna, brown rice, 1 package green beans, 1/2 large orange, a few peanuts
    • Cardio Workout
    • 10PM-10:45PM - Grape Nuts with skim milk, 1 package brussel sprouts, 1 ear corn, 1 large orange
    I ate so many oranges because I have run out of all other fruits. I am also low on a number of other foods. I need to buy larger quantities of food when I go to the supermarket.

Supplements
    1g flax oil, 2g fish oil

Weekly Goal Update

Weight -- 169.25lb (+ 1.25lb)

Median Body Fat -- 3.6% (No Change)
    Lowest Formula -- 2.2% (JP-3, chest, abdomen, thigh)
    Highest Formula -- 4.8% (L-3, triceps, abdomen, subscapular) & (FS-4, triceps, axilla, abdomen, subscapular)

My goal is to be 170lb and 5% body fat. This week my body weight increased 1.25lb to 169.25lb. My body fat and all my skin fold measures remained the same. I expect to reach my goal next week. I may cut down on calories a small amount in the coming week to start slowing down my gains.

I listed 169.25 lb as my weight. This total may be high or low due to water/glycogen weight. I weigh myself before and after my two weekend workouts at the gym. The actual measures are below. I took an average of the 169 and 169.5 values to get the listed 169.25lb

Before Workout Sat -- 169.0
    After Workout Sat -- 169.0
    Before Workout Sun -- 169.5
    After Workout Sun -- 169.5

This week's picture looks worse than last week's. The difference is probably closely realted to the pose. I thought about reposing and retaking pictures. Instead I decided to keep the picture, and let it improve next week.

Skinfold Measures
    Biceps -- 2 mm
    Triceps -- 2 mm
    Chest -- 2 mm
    Axilla -- 3 mm
    Abdomen -- 4 mm
    Thigh -- 4 mm
    Suprailiac -- 4 mm
    Subscapular -- 8 mm
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Last edited by aka23; 05-26-2003 at 04:01 AM.

Originally posted by aka23
    I own a hobby website. It has a messageboard, a lot of information/pictures, and gets 1-2.5 million hits per day. After a lot of thought, I have decided to keep my identity separate on this website for the time being. Perhaps in the future, I will give out the URL of the site.
    Sounds like the website is quite successful. I can understand wanting to keep your identity separate.

Congrats on the weight gain. You should have no problem reaching your goal next week.

**Edited for spelling.
    Last edited by bradley; 05-26-2003 at 11:00 AM.

still looking as ripped as ever aka. keep it up!
    "Eat until it hurts dammit! Then eat more. Youll get used to it. I think its like sex for a chick. Sure it hurts the first time, but after a couple rides it just goes in like a glove." -clvmike19

"... chicks are like smarties. They're different colors but each share the same deliciousness. Its just a matter of deciding if you'll save the red ones for last or eat a bunch of different ones in the same handful." -wibble

Originally posted by bradley
    Sounds like the website is quite successful. I can understand wanting to keep your identity separate.

Congrats on the weight gain. You should have no problem reaching your goal next week.
    Thanks. The website is quite popular, but I am no longer very interested in the site. I just do the minimum amount of work necessary to keep the site alive. I spend much more time on this website. I agree that it looks like I will reach my goal next week.
    Last edited by aka23; 05-26-2003 at 01:55 PM.

Originally posted by GhettoSmurf
    still looking as ripped as ever aka. keep it up!
    Thanks. I think I look more defined in last week's picture. The difference is most noticeable on my upper arm. I think that this change is more related to my pose than anything else. I can make my arm look more defined by simply moving it to a different position.
    Last edited by aka23; 05-26-2003 at 02:18 PM.

Lookin good aka. You're almost at goal. Congrats!

aka your pic wont work for me, but keep up the good work. Youll hit your goal anytime now......
    " ...if all else fails, just whip out those b'normous biceps!!!!!!! Teh lad33z <3 teh str3ngth!"- McIrish

"An Irishman has an abiding sense of tragedy which sustains him through temporary periods of joy..."

"When a man is in love, is jealous, and has been whipped by the Inquisition, he is no longer himself..."- Voltaire

Selfproclaimed Fancy Pants wibble's Avatar
    Awesome aka, can't wait to see you hit your goal! I think you're still looking pretty damn shredded in that pic! How long have you been trying to reach your goal and where did you begin? Just curious because you're lookin amazing!

Keep it up!

Originally posted by Mik
    Lookin good aka. You're almost at goal. Congrats!
    Originally posted by clvmike19
    aka your pic wont work for me, but keep up the good work. Youll hit your goal anytime now......
    Thanks for the compliments. The pic is a standard jpeg. It should pop up in a new window. I have found that I am sometimes unable to open new windows when my computer is low on memory. When I reboot my computer, the problems end.
    Last edited by aka23; 05-26-2003 at 07:17 PM.

Originally posted by wibble
    Awesome aka, can't wait to see you hit your goal! I think you're still looking pretty damn shredded in that pic! How long have you been trying to reach your goal and where did you begin? Just curious because you're lookin amazing!

Keep it up!
    Thanks. I set my goal when I started this journal on 4/7. At that time I was 162.5lb and about 4.2% BF. Over the past 7 weeks, I have gained 7-8lb of muscle while losing a small amount of fat.
    Last edited by aka23; 05-26-2003 at 07:37 PM.

Saturday's Training Log
    This is training log for Saturday, May 24th

Sleep
    My total sleep for the day was about 10.5 hours. I slept approximately 7 hours last night, took a 2 hour nap after Meal 1, then took a second 1.5 hour nap after Meal 3. This is the highest total since I have been recording this journal. I believe it was higher than normal for the following reasons:

1. I took 25mg doxylamine succinate. Doxylamine succinate is an OTC sleeping aid. I have found that it is most effective on the first night it is taken after a long break. Unlike presciption sleeping aids, I sometimes feel the effects of it after waking up.
    2. I was a bit behind in my sleep from averaging 5-6 hours sleep on Mon-Fri.
    3. I may have been fighting off a cold. I had a runny nose during the evening. Fortunately, I am no longer having symptoms of a cold.

Weights, 1/2 Body Pull, Emphasis on Machines

WG Front Lat Pulldown -- 180x6(+10lb), 170x8(+0.5R)

WG Rear Lat Pulldown -- 200x5(+10lb), 190x6
    I feel that I had no significant gains on the pulldowns. My form was poor on the heavier sets, and there were no significant rep gains on the lighter sets. Perhaps I was not yet warmed up when I did these.

Compound Row -- 180x7.5(+1.5R), 170x9(+0.5R)

Iso Low Row -- 165x6(+5lb), 155x9(+3R)

Seated Bicep Machine -- 100x6.5(+5lb), 90x9(+1R)

Lateral Raise Machine -- 130x9(+5lb)
    I am 20lb short of the stack on the lat raise machine. I will increase by 10lb next week, instead of my usual +5lb.

Rear Lateral Raise Machine -- 190x9(+20lb)
    I had execellent gains on this exercise. I increased my maximum by 20lb while maintaining the reps.

Lower Back Extension -- 250x15(+10lb)
    I did not have much trouble getting to 15 reps. I may start increasing these by 20lb instead of my usual 10lb.

Inner Thigh Machine -- Stack+10 x 15(+10lb)
    The inner thigh machine is the type made by Cybex that has a 190lb stack and 5lb weights that can be added to the stack. I did a 15 rep set with the stack and two of the three 5lb weights.

Outer Thigh Machine -- 110 x 12(N)
    This was my first workout using the outer thigh machine in years. It felt quite awkward. I do not know if I will continue with it next week.

Ab Machine -- 230x8(+20lb), 220x11(+10lb), 210x15(+5R)
    I feel I had excellent gains on this exercise. I incresed my maximum by 20lb, instead of the usual 10. I am 10lb short of the stack, and will attempt a set with the stack next week.

Bold = Largest weight ever used for given exercise
    (+X lb) = Personal Best -- added X lbs to record maximum
    (+X R) = Personal Best -- added X reps to max at given weight
    (N) = New Exercise -- No basis for personal best comparison

General Comments
    I am trying a new style of recording weights that lists more information about personal bests. I have listed the amount of weight or rep increase, instead of just typing a * . I am writing comments underneath each exercise, instead of a summary at the end. Tell me if you prefer one style over the other. I may edit this post and change it back to my orginal style.

I feel that I had excellent gains in this workout. Nearly all sets were record maximums or personal bests. I suspect that my improved performance is related to the extra sleep today.

After reading "hot chicks" reports in a couple other journals, I thought about which women in the gym were most attractive. The one who I felt was most attractive may have noticed this. I caught her loking at me while doing her cardio, and she asked if I was using a weight machine when I felt it was obvious that I was not, because I was standing a good distance away from it.

Cardio
    Cycling, medium intensity
    I did a 90sec interval program, a 60sec interval program, a 30 second interval program, and then some cycling at a fixed level. The workout was outstanding. I suspect my improved performance was related to the extra sleep. The 90 second intervals felt easy, so I increased to a record high level on the 60 second intervals. I still felt great after the 60 second intervals, so I did a third hill program with 30 second intervals. My HR was below normal during all three programs, despite the increased level.

Diet
    • 3500-3600 calories
    • Meal 1 - Large bowl Shredded Wheat Cereal with skim milk and cut banana, small serving chicken breast, a few peanuts
    • Meal 2 - Large bowl black beans mixed with brown rice, sweet potato, small serving chicken breast, 1/2 banana, a few peanuts
    • Meal 3 - Large bowl oatmeal, chicken breast, brown rice, 1 package green beans, apple, a few peanuts
    • Meal 4 - Large bowl Grape Nuts with skim milk, succotash, watermelon
    • Snack 1 - Large bowl oatmeal, 1 package broccoli, 1/3 pollock fillet, a few peanuts
    • Snack 2 - Oatmeal, 1/3 pollock fillet
    • Snack 3 - 1/2 Banana
    Supplements
    1g flax oil, 1g fish oil, 1 multivitamin/mineral (no iron)
    Last edited by aka23; 05-26-2003 at 11:43 PM.

I think the new style of recording weights is better, I might use the same style in my journal to see how i am progressing, if you don't mind me stealing your idea?
    magik

aka good workout. That chick was definately hitting on you! Gotta chase that tail next time!!
    " ...if all else fails, just whip out those b'normous biceps!!!!!!! Teh lad33z <3 teh str3ngth!"- McIrish

"An Irishman has an abiding sense of tragedy which sustains him through temporary periods of joy..."

"When a man is in love, is jealous, and has been whipped by the Inquisition, he is no longer himself..."- Voltaire

Hi Aka, You are an inspiration that's for sure....looking shredded dude....I appreciate all the cardio advise.....and I enjoy looking in on your journal cause it gives me some original ideas.

Originally posted by Wikked1
    Hi Aka, You are an inspiration that's for sure....looking shredded dude....I appreciate all the cardio advise.....and I enjoy looking in on your journal cause it gives me some original ideas.
    i agree. you are a great source of motivation aka. more then you think IMO. i know that odds are i'll never look as good as u, but you give AWSOME information on weightlifting, and you definitly know your way around a gym.

aka finally got the pic dloaded. dude, youre cut! Great job and I hope to look like that someday....

Originally posted by diego
    I think the new style of recording weights is better, I might use the same style in my journal to see how i am progressing, if you don't mind me stealing your idea?
    I appreciate the feedback. I will use the same format for my next workout. Feel free to duplicate the style. Many portions of the format were inspired from other journals.

Originally posted by Wikked1
    Originally posted by GhettoSmurf
    i agree. you are a great source of motivation aka. more then you think IMO. i know that odds are i'll never look as good as u, but you give AWSOME information on weightlifting, and you definitly know your way around a gym.
    Thanks for the compliments. It is good to know that I have been helpful. I enjoy analyzing my diet and training and listing detailed information about them in this journal.

Looking great, aka. Your bodyfat (or lack thereof) is awesome. Thanks for giving me info about the whole cardio/lifting on same day thing. I hope it works as well for me as it does for you. Good luck with your goals.

D 435 / S 340 / B 305

Journal

"I avoid talking to normal people about this stuff as much as possible. It's usually a waste of time." - HahnB

"OMG HE EETS 2 MUCH0RZ!!111 O NOES HE EETS TEH FATS!!!111" - PowerManDL

"Test does a body good." - Severed Ties

aka good workout. That chick was definately hitting on you! Gotta chase that tail next time!!
    I hope that you are right. I consistently see her in the gym on weekends. I will pay more attention to the situation next time. I would not feel comfortable starting a conversation with her unless it was related to events in the gym, such as discussing how to use a machine.

aka finally got the pic dloaded. dude, youre cut! Great job and I hope to look like that someday....
    Originally posted by NDBeast
    Looking great, aka. Your bodyfat (or lack thereof) is awesome. Thanks for giving me info about the whole cardio/lifting on same day thing. I hope it works as well for me as it does for you. Good luck with your goals.
    Thanks. I am happy with my results so far. Although I think the recent picture was not in a good pose, and last week's picture looked more defined.

NDBeast,

In my opinion, doing a combination of cardio and lifting is extremely beneficial to reducing body fat. I hope your plan goes well.

Aka, you've got to loosen up. You think that she's attractive, and she obviously thinks that you're attractive. You don't need an excuse to speak to her. Just ask her out. Short, sweet, and to the point.

BTW, still waiting for that joke that you promised us.

Originally posted by Tankette
    Aka, you've got to loosen up. You think that she's attractive, and she obviously thinks that you're attractive. You don't need an excuse to speak to her. Just ask her out. Short, sweet, and to the point.
    People have told me I need to relax or loosen up for most of my life. As I have mentioned elsewhere in my journal, I was voted most serious in high school.

Your advice makes sense, but I am a shy person and following it would make me very uncomfortable. I have never asked a girl out without an external pretense, such as studying together. I prefer when she makes the first move.

Something more my level, might be to say "Hi" to her and make a comment about her workout. I will report what happens when I see her next week.

Originally posted by Tankette
    BTW, still waiting for that joke that you promised us.
    I believe I wrote, "Perhaps I will add some type of joke to one of my workout logs in the future." I will try to incorportate a joke into one of my workout logs during the next 3 weeks.