Page 159 of 161 FirstFirst ... 59109149157158159160161 LastLast
Results 3,951 to 3,975 of 4025

Thread: Training Log

Training Log

Sleep
    I slept approximately 6 hours using sleeping aids.

Weights
    Push Day
    • Neutral Grip DB Incline Press – Warmup Sets, 110x4 (+5lb), 105x7, 105x5
      I have finally reached my pre-surgery NG Incline PR of 105x7. I pushed myself near failure during the first two sets and had little left for the final set. I may switch to an extremely strict form next time.
    • One-armed Incline Press – Right: 115x5
      These are unchanged from last time, probably because I my right arm was heavily stressed in the earlier sets. I may skip these one-armed sets in future weeks since I am starting to use heavier weights with my right arm during the two-armed sets.
    • Incline Flys – Warmup Set, 65x10
      I only did one set because it was stressful on my wrist.
    • Neutral Grip DB Shoulder Press – Warmup Set, 90x5, 85x6.8, 85x6
      I am almost up to my pre-surgery PR of 90x6. Note that I can press much heavier weights with a normal pronated grip than a neutral grip.
    • One-armed DB Shoulder Press – Right: 100x5
      I did this single set to maintain my right-arm strength, like with the incline presses. My form was poor due to balance issues.
    • Strict DB Skullcrushers – Warmup Set; Right: 60x8, 60x8; Left: SKIPPED
      I have matched my August PR of 65x6/60x8. I skipped the sets with my left arm since this exercise is stressful on my wrist. I may need to either stop doing this exercise with my left arm or stick to light weights (and high reps).
    Bold = Largest weight ever used for given exercise
    (+X lb) = Personal Best -- added X lbs to record maximum
    (+X R) = Personal Best -- added X reps to max at given weight
    (+X R) = Personal best for left arm, below overall personal best

General Comments
    None

Cardio
    Running, High Intensity

This was a challenging session, but far easier than recent weeks. I may have benefited from skipping this workout last week, when I was ill.

The workout is summarized below. I did not wear my HR monitor again. My HR readings were the same as last week.
    • 3 minutes -- slow mph / total 0.2 miles (Warmup)
    • 54 minutes -- 9.0 mph / total 8.3 miles – after 30 minutes ~91% MHR, after 45 minutes ~91%MHR, ~91%MHR at finish.
    • 3 minutes -- slow mph / total 8.5 miles (Cooldown)

Diet
    3800-3900 calories

Supplements.
    2g flax oil, 3g fish oil

Training Log

Sleep
    I slept approximately 10.5 hours using sleeping aids.

Weights
    Rest Day
    I was in my first car accident today. I was making a J-shaped turn, crossing two lanes of traffic, a spacing between the lanes, then making a left hand turn. There was construction going on just to the left of the area where I was turning. While I was crossing the intersection one of the construction pickup trucks started moving and drove out of the construction area and into the path of my turn. It started too quickly for me to stop in time, and I hit the truck at about 5mph. The speeds were so slow that there was no significant damage to either vehicle. However, I did bump my forehead on my garage door opener that I keep on my car visor. Things likely would have turned out much worse, if I was moving at a higher speed when I bumped my forehead.

Cardio
    Cycling, Intervals
    I did three hill consecutive hill programs with 90-second intervals. All three were at the maximum intensity level of my Vision Fitness cycling machine. The intervals were not difficult. I will not be able to challenge myself much in this workout unless I switch to a machine at the gym with a higher intensity level.

Diet
    • ~3800 calories

My calorie intake continues to drop. I only averaged 3863 calories per day this week. I was over 4000 just a couple weeks ago. I do not seem to have lost any weight. I still am a bit over 200lb.

Supplements
    3g fish oil, 2g flax oil
    Last edited by aka23; 12-15-2004 at 12:05 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by aka23
    Weights
    Rest Day
    I was in my first car accident today. I was making a J-shaped turn, crossing two lanes of traffic, a spacing between the lanes, then making a left hand turn. There was construction going on just to the left of the area where I was turning. While I was crossing the intersection one of the construction pickup trucks started moving and drove out of the construction area and into the path of my turn. It started too quickly for me to stop in time, and I hit the truck at about 5mph. The speeds were so slow that there was no significant damage to either vehicle. However, I did bump my forehead on my garage door opener that I keep on my car visor. Things likely would have turned out much worse, if I was moving at a higher speed when I bumped my forehead.
    Glad to hear you didn't hurt yourself.

_8_Ball,

I appreciate the support. Yes, it could have been a lot worse. The construction workers were quite pleasant about the incident. They did not seem upset at all and only asked, "Are you sure you are okay?" and other similar questions.

Training Log

Sleep
    I slept approximately 8 hours using sleeping aids.

Weights
    Pull Day
    • Cybex Dual-Axis Pulldown – Warmup Sets, 400x6 (+1R), 380x6 (Strict, New)
      At some point I started adding the weight to the stack wrong and continued the mistake in my training logs. In today’s log, I corrected this mistake, so the 400 is actually the same weight as last week’s 395. This is likely the most weight that can be added to the stack. I decided to use a more strict form during the final set with a maximum ROM. I will probably continue to do a set with each form in future sessions.
    • LifeCircuit Row – Warmup Sets, 170/238x7 (New), 200/280x7 (New)
      I have not used this machine since before surgery. I am using a more strict form than I did in the past, so I am calling this a new exercise with new PRs. I set the eccentric (down) weight at 40% more than the concentric (up) weight.
    • Lateral Raise Machine – Warmup Sets, 225x12, 200x13 (+1R)
      Both sets felt very challenging. The second set pushed me to my limits and left my arms very sore. 225 is the most weight that can be added to the stack.
    • Strict Dumbell Curls – Right: Warmup Set, 55x8 (+1R), 55x8 (+1R); Left: 55x6 (+0.5R, Hammer)
      I only did a single set with my left arm and used a hammer form to minimize wrist irritation.
    • Hammer Strength Shrugs – Warmup Sets, 6 plates+10 per side x 3, 6p+10 ps x 2, 5p+35ps x 7
      My grip was extremely weak today for some reason. I could only do 3 reps with a 20lb increase over last time (6ppsx6 last time). These are still well below my pre-injury PR.
    • Strict, Slow R. Lateral Raise Machine – 275x13 (+1R)
      This is the most weight that can be added to the stack.
    Bold = Largest weight ever used for given exercise
    (+X R) = Personal best for left arm, below overall personal best

General Comments
    None.

Cardio
    Elliptical Trainer, High Intensity
    I have had problems with different elliptical trainer machines having different resistances and producing different distance statistics. Due to confusion over the machines, I arbitrarily decided to call the distance from several months ago my PR. I have tried to use that machine in each session since then. I did a 1-hour session on the elliptical trainer, using the random mode.

During the first half-hour measuring period, I was able to break my distance record. I would have broken the PR by about 0.3% if I did not intentionally slow down during the few seconds. Instead I broke the PR by 0.15%, the smallest unit of measurement on the machine. After 29 minutes, my HR was about 91%MHR. This is significantly above most previous weeks.

During the second half-hour measuring period, I did perform as well. I was slightly ahead of my PR pace for the first 5 minutes. As the workout went on, I became more fatigued, and my pace slowed. I finished at about 2% below my distance record. After completing the workout, my HR was about 87%MHR.

Diet
    ~4000 calories

Supplements
    2g flax oil, 3g fish oil

Training Log

Sleep
    I slept approximately 8 hours using sleeping aids.

Weights
    Lower Body
    • New ATF Hack Squat - Warmup Sets, 5 plates+27.5 per side x 6 (+5lb), 5p+27.5 ps x 6 (+5lb)
      I pleasantly surprised myself in today’s session by completing 6 reps with superior form. This is the first time I have been able to do two sets of 6 in three sessions. And I did so while setting a new max weight PR.
    • Cybex Leg Extension - Warmup Sets, 320x7 (+5lb), 320x7 (+5lb)
      This was the first time I have failed to complete 8 reps. I may have been more worn out than usual from the hack squats, or I may just be at my limits. I have been incrementing weight while maintaining reps for a long time.
    • Standing Calf Raise - Warmup Set, 590x9 (+10lb, Strict), 590x9 (+10lb, Strict)
      I reached the max weight of the machine with plates on handles of 670lb last week. I switched to a lighter weight a more strict form this week. I am calling the new form a new exercise with new PRs. Both sets pushed me to the edge of failure.
    • Cybex Seated Leg Curl – Warmup Sets, 195x8 (+1R) , 195x8 (+1R)
      Both sets were near failure. I may have had a shorter ROM during the final rep. My tender quads felt very sore while pressing against the padding.
    • Strict Ab Machine – Warmup Set, 290x8 (+1R), 290x8 (+1R)
      I switched to a strict form last week. I am pleased with the rep gain.
    • Lower Back Extension – 475x11 (+2R)
      This sit was not as challenging as the other exercises in today’s session. Note that the +2R is compared to a set from October, when I last used this light a weight.
    Bold -- maximum weight used for given exercise

General Comments
    The reps in todays session form an interesting pattern as listed below:
    6 reps -- Hack Squats
    7 reps -- Leg Extensions
    8 reps -- Leg Curls
    9 reps -- Standing Calf Raises
    10 reps -- Ab Machine last week. I only did 8 this week.
    11 reps -- Lower back extension

Cardio
    Rest Day

Diet
    3800-3900 calories

Supplements
    2g flax oil, 3g fish oil

This may be my last post in the journal for awhile.

Last night a sink leak resulted in a severe flood in my home. A repair crew worked from 11PM to 3:30AM. They continued to work for most of the day today. They took doors off hinges, drilled a couple dozen holes in walls, pulled up floorboards, pulled out my stove, moved all of my furniture to the opposite side of rooms, etc. I did not sleep at all last night because of loud drying machines in my bedroom. My home is barely livable. I may try to find a hotel room, if one is available near the holidays.

As if this was not bad enough, my leak resulted in even greater damage to one of my neighbors' home. I have seen truckloads of drywall being removed from their home. Irriplacable items were destroyed. Their home is not livable at the moment. They are infuriated with me, with good reason. We have had multiple conversations involving them yelling and swearing at me. I have tried to remain amiable, but I think that this event will result in me having a negative relation for all the time we live near each other. Things have gotten so bad, I have had thoughts about moving.

My insurance adjuster will not come by until Monday. Based on phone conversations, I think that they will cover my home after a $500 deductible, which is fine with me, as this will likely be a 5-figure bill for my home. My main concern is my neighbor's home. After talking to insurance reps, I get the impression that my insurance will call this a "no fault" accident in which there is no liable party, and each party is responsible for their own home. This does not seem logical to me, and it most certainly will not seem logical to my neighbors. They rent their home, and the owner is out of town. I do not think he has insurance for this type of catastrophe. My fear is that there will be a large 5-figure bill that they claim I am responsible for and my insurance refuses to pay because it is a "no fault" accident.

One thing that upsets me is I asked my insurance agent specifically about this situation before I purchased the policy, and he said that it would cover damage to others' homes from water damage. I asked him the same question this morning, and he said that these events were typically covered. Now he and 5 other reps my insurance all telling a different story, and insist on not signing anything that might indicate liability until the insurance adjuster arrives, such as permission to begin work on the unit.
    Last edited by aka23; 12-17-2004 at 07:20 PM.

That's insurance companies for you. You can pay for years and years without a claim. And when you finally have one, they want to fight tooth and nail and deny everything they can. Bastards. Sorry to hear about your home. That must have been one hell of a sink leak.
    Best way to cheat on deadlifts...

Stand there for a few minutes, then pace back and forth a lot, huff and puff, wait until everybody's looking. Approach the bar. Back off. Approach it again. Back off. Get some water. Chalk up. Approach the bar again. Then spray some more chalk around. Wait until people start losing interest. When nobody's looking, pick it a little off the floor, and slam it down. Jump up and yell "LIGHT WEIGHT BABY". Then give high fives all around. - Belial

Good luck with everything aka, sorry to hear about your troubles at the moment. I can't even fathom the kind of leak this must have been to cause that much damage to both yours, and your neighbors' house. We had a water main break in our basement years ago but it was contained to just our house, even though around ten thousand gallons of water flooded it.

That sucks major ass Aka. I wish you all the best in getting things sorted out.

Tim Nissen, Jasonl, and Stackattack

Thanks for the support. I am posting this message from work. I try to avoid spending time at home, primarily because of the dryers.. They raise the temp to ~90F at 6PM in Dec. and are very loud.

Yes, it was quite a leak. I think the sink was only running over for about an hour. It is amazing how much damage can occur in so little time. I think the large damage is related to its upstairs location. The water damaged walls, floors, ceilings, carpets, property, etc. A leak in the basement would be less likely to have such problems.

I feel a lot better after getting information from my uncle, who is a lawyer. He was very supportive and seems quite knowledgeable. I do not want to go into detail on a public forum for legal reasons, but I will say that I think everything is going to work out. I should know more after the insurance adjuster arrives on Monday.
    --------------------------------------------------------------------------

On an unrelated note, some of the people who read this journal might be interested that the Avant Labs online magazine has had a series of articles on intelligence that concludes with an IQ type test. I have the high score on this test, which has been discussed on a couple bodybuilding forums. They make some jokes about my name in the thread at http://forum.avantlabs.com/?act=ST&f=7&t=13926&st=30 .
    Last edited by aka23; 12-18-2004 at 09:07 PM.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------

On an unrelated note, some of the people who read this journal might be interested that the Avant Labs online magazine has had a series of articles on intelligence that concludes with an IQ type test. I have the high score on this test, which has been discussed on a couple bodybuilding forums. They make some jokes about my name in the thread at http://forum.avantlabs.com/?act=ST&f=7&t=13926&st=30 .

LOL, you are a genius!
    "It is often said, mainly by the "no-contests", that although there is no positive evidence for the existence of God, nor is there evidence against his existence. So it is best to keep an open mind and be agnostic. At first sight that seems an unassailable position, at least in the weak sense of Pascal's wager. But on second thought it seems a cop-out, because the same could be said of Father Christmas and tooth fairies. There may be fairies at the bottom of the garden. There is no evidence for it, but you can't prove that there aren't any, so shouldn't we be agnostic with respect to fairies?"

Richard Dawkins

"Out of all of the sects in the world, we notice an uncanny coincidence: the overwhelming majority just happen to choose the one that their parents belong to. Not the sect that has the best evidence in its favour, the best miracles, the best moral code, the best cathedral, the best stained glass, the best music: when it comes to choosing from the smorgasbord of available religions, their potential virtues seem to count for nothing, compared to the matter of heredity. This is an unmistakable fact; nobody could seriously deny it. Yet people with full knowledge of the arbitrary nature of this heredity, somehow manage to go on believing in their religion, often with such fanaticism that they are prepared to murder people who follow a different one."

Richard Dawkins

"Bah. You know I hate poor people."

Paul Stagg

Son of a bitch!!! That sucks aka, I feel for you man Hope everything turns out ok, insurance companies ****ing suck.
    "We fight our battles, we wage our wars, we settle the score, with honor and blood" - Atreyu

Dontate to my favorite charity!

Manveet,

I tend to test extraordinarily well is some areas, such as measures or analytical/logical or quantitative skills. However, I am not skilled in other areas. If turoati's test had sections on things like how to pick up women at a bar or what to do at a party, then I would not have done as well.

Y2A,

I appreciate the support. I should know more after the insurance adjuster arrives in ~2 hours. It seems that everyone has their own agenda. Insurance companies want to pay is little as possible. Cleaning services want to find ways to charge as much as possible. I believe that my insurance agent and neighbors also have more complex agendas that I do not wish to post on a public forum. All of these people have given me advice, which I feel has at least some bias. Some of these groups are biased more than others. I believe that my uncle (the lawyer) is the only one who has given me advice with little bias.

aka... I hope it works out well... Could you explain how your houses are setup? is it a big house with a big wall in the middle?

Manveet,

I tend to test extraordinarily well is some areas, such as measures or analytical/logical or quantitative skills. However, I am not skilled in other areas. If turoati's test had sections on things like how to pick up women at a bar or what to do at a party, then I would not have done as well.
    I took the test as well, however I only completed the first two pages and received a score of 10, lol.

I found the test to be highly cultural-specific.
    "It is often said, mainly by the "no-contests", that although there is no positive evidence for the existence of God, nor is there evidence against his existence. So it is best to keep an open mind and be agnostic. At first sight that seems an unassailable position, at least in the weak sense of Pascal's wager. But on second thought it seems a cop-out, because the same could be said of Father Christmas and tooth fairies. There may be fairies at the bottom of the garden. There is no evidence for it, but you can't prove that there aren't any, so shouldn't we be agnostic with respect to fairies?"

Richard Dawkins

"Out of all of the sects in the world, we notice an uncanny coincidence: the overwhelming majority just happen to choose the one that their parents belong to. Not the sect that has the best evidence in its favour, the best miracles, the best moral code, the best cathedral, the best stained glass, the best music: when it comes to choosing from the smorgasbord of available religions, their potential virtues seem to count for nothing, compared to the matter of heredity. This is an unmistakable fact; nobody could seriously deny it. Yet people with full knowledge of the arbitrary nature of this heredity, somehow manage to go on believing in their religion, often with such fanaticism that they are prepared to murder people who follow a different one."

Richard Dawkins

Paul Stagg

_8_Ball,

It is actually quite small. A portion of my neighbor's home is below mine. This area was affected by the leak.

Manveet,

I am skeptical of IQ-type tests that emphasize things like vocabulary and general knowledge rather than fluid intelligence and problem solving skills. For example someone who spoke English as a foreign language would likely do poorly on the test due to the heavy vocabulary emphasis. This could cause some to draw incorrect conclusions. Notice that I have consistently called this an IQ-type test. I do this to emphasize that I do not necessarily consider this a good measure of intelligence/IQ. I prefer IQ-type tests that emphasize patterns and symbols, which do not depend on crystallized knowledge. One problem with this type of test is they are restricted to a more limited type of intelligence and do not correlate well with well-accepted tests.

I am surprised you stopped after page 2, if you disliked the culture specific nature of the test. Page 3 is primarily pattern identification. I think page 3 is the least culture specific section of the test

I am skeptical of IQ-type tests that emphasize things like vocabulary and general knowledge rather than fluid intelligence and problem solving skills. For example someone who spoke English as a foreign language would likely do poorly on the test due to the heavy vocabulary emphasis. This could cause some to draw incorrect conclusions. Notice that I have consistently called this an IQ-type test. I do this to emphasize that I do not necessarily consider this a good measure of intelligence/IQ. I prefer IQ-type tests that emphasize patterns and symbols, which do not depend on crystallized knowledge. One problem with this type of test is they are restricted to a more limited type of intelligence and do not correlate well with well-accepted tests.

I am surprised you stopped after page 2, if you disliked the culture specific nature of the test. Page 3 is primarily pattern identification. I think page 3 is the least culture specific section of the test
    I agree with you on this, aka. I don't find a test such as this to be an effective way to measure one's intelligence, as opposed to a problem solving type test. I took the test and, like you, found page 3 to be a bit better for problem solving than memory capacity. I was mad my computer had a spaz at the end of the test so I was unable to find out how well I did, but I'm confident I did well. I may take the test again when I'm bored.

_8_Ball,

It is actually quite small. A portion of my neighbor's home is below mine. This area was affected by the leak.

Manveet,

I took the entire test and it sucked, the major reason why I failed is that I din't undestand the what 1/2 the word meant...

xxx is to xxx as xxx is to xxx... well how the hell are you suppose to figure it out when you don't even understand the first half of the question.

I normaly do extremly well when it's a test involving symboles and other logical processes. When they ask me about litrature etc... I'm FUBAR... :-)

I hope the water leak issue is doing a little better today....

Jasonl and _8_Ball,
    It sounds like we have a similar opinion about the vocabulary and general knowledge sections. They do have a good correlation with IQ standards (IQ standards usually contain vocab + general info section), roughly as high a correlation as SAT scores. However, there are many exceptions, and I do not consider simple memorized facts like that a good way to gauge intelligence.

_8_Ball,
    Yes. The leak is doing better. My home is dry. The flood repair crew is done and has moved out the dryers. The next step is reconstruction. Unfortunately the reconstruction contractor doubts that he will be able to begin until shortly after Christmas. My insurance situation continues to look more positive. My biggest concern at the moment is maxing out my policy limits (I have seen the reconstruction contractor’s estimate). I do not expect any issues with my neighbor's home since I have a very high liability limit.
    Last edited by aka23; 12-21-2004 at 04:49 PM.

Glad to hear the leak situation is looking on the up-and-up.

Jasonl,
    Thanks for the support. I will give an update when I know more, which may not be until shortly after Christmas.

------------------------------------------------------------------------

I just got off the phone with a woman I met from online personals. We are meeting at Starbucks for coffee tomorrow morning. This will be the first time I have met any of the women I have been emailing in person. She did her undergraduate in psychology and currently works both in real estate and as a waitress. I think that our personalities will fit well together. The many adjectives she uses to describe herself in her profile all fit my description as well. It will probably surprise many persons on this site to know that, I believe my sense of humor is what made her want to meet me. After not hearing from her for a couple weeks, I sent her an email titled "Hi There Old Woman..." because her profile said she was 85-years-old. I think she modified the age to avoid being found in searches while she was changing her profile. From this point on we seemed to click well together.

I also have a tentative appointment to meet a different woman shortly after the Christmas break.
    Last edited by aka23; 12-21-2004 at 07:41 PM.

I just got back from my meeting/date. I think things went well, although there were a few unusual occurrences such as receiving many phone calls from work (only taking one of the ~6) and giving me advice to on how to meet other women. She initiated this meeting. She advised me to suggest a meeting after just a couple emails when talking to other women I meet through online personals. We spoke about a variety of topics, mostly introduction/small talk type things. One thing that I found particularly interesting was the large number of emails she has received and the methods she uses to decide to whom she replies. I also thought her travels were interesting. She spent a couple years traveling to many countries in Asia and Europe. The meeting concluded with her suggesting that I call her, and we meet again in the future. I am not certain about when (how long) would be an appropriate time to call or email, and what would be an appropriate location.
    Last edited by aka23; 12-22-2004 at 01:30 PM.

Manveet,

I actually didn't mind the vocabulary and other culturally specific questions, probably because they were easy enough for me to answer. I just don't believe they are fair questions to ask on an IQ test.

I'm horrible at problem solving skills, and math in general. It's something I can do well at only if I'm given ample time.

I do agree with you though, intelligence is a difficult phenomenon to conceptualize.

Richard Dawkins

Richard Dawkins

Paul Stagg

Glad to hear everything went well, aka. I think you should wait 4 or 5 days before calling or e-mailing her again. Good luck with everything in the future.