The Five Biggest Contradictions in Fitness
Latest Article

The Five Biggest Contradictions in Fitness

It’s no secret that when people contradict themselves, it has the effect of making the flaws in their actions or statements seem glaringly obvious. But what about when WE ourselves get caught contradicting ourselves by someone else?

By: Nick Tumminello Added: January 6th, 2014
More Recent Articles
Contrast Training for Size
By: Lee Boyce
An Interview with Marianne Kane of Girls Gone Strong
By: Jordan Syatt
What Supplements Should I be Taking? By: Jay Wainwright
Bench Like a Girl By: Julia Ladewski
Some Thoughts on Building a Big Pull By: Christopher Mason

Facebook Join Facebook Group       Twitter Follow on Twitter       rss Subscribe via RSS
Page 160 of 161 FirstFirst ... 60110150158159160161 LastLast
Results 3,976 to 4,000 of 4025

Thread: Training Log

Good job meeting the chick dude, listen to what she has to say about meeting other chicks, it might be helpful. Also listen to what she looks for and how she decides who she will reply to
    "We fight our battles, we wage our wars, we settle the score, with honor and blood" - Atreyu

Dontate to my favorite charity!

jasonl,
    I appreciate the support. I started a thread on another forum about the length or time and locations. The consensus there seems to be shorter, about 2 days. The shorter may be more appropriate with a first meeting via online personals that certain other types of dates.

Y2A,
    Thanks. Many of the things she looks for in replies would probably depend on the woman. For example she is turned off by photos of partying type activities. Some other women would probably like that. Other issues such as good grammar seem more universal.

merry christmas aka! good luck with the lady!

Banned
    Where be Aka23

Ohyeah you have to make a work-out video that would rock

Warrior
    Aka23,
    As you stated before you sometimes cannot sleep at night, so you have to take the sleeping pills, have you ever read up on ways to sleep, without the use of drugs? Of course, natural ways are always better right? I too get sleeping problems, although not as severe. At days even when I'm tired it would take me about 1.5 hours to finally fall asleep. I'm guessing it's because of stress, and maybe we have the same problem. Any tips?

Oh, when you asked:

Quote Originally Posted by aka23
    I am not certain about when (how long) would be an appropriate time to call or email, and what would be an appropriate location.
    Dunno if you know this site, but: www.askmen.com they have a very comprehensive dating section. But I have my suspicions with the fitness articles...
    "Fear is the mind killer." - Leto Atreides

I have still been training and continuing with my usual routine, even though I have not been posting workouts. I have been sleeping better, and eating slightly less because of the missed nighttime snacks. I have lost about 3lb because of these changes. I have been making gains on most lower body and pull exercises, despite the weight loss. I have been struggling with most push exercises, often making little progress. My wrist has improved, but it is still not at 100%. I have added in normal grip shoulder presses to my routine. There have been a few unusual gym events, such as a woman falling asleep on the lying leg curl machine.

Things did not work out with the woman who I met with earlier. However, I have been communicating with many other women, including a few interesting ones that I have not mentioned before. The woman who I have exchanged the most emails with during the past few days reminds me of Lara Croft (Tomb Raider video game/movie). There is a remarkable similarity in appearance. She is into thrills and adventure, such as skydiving or motocross racing. She has traveled and lived in many remote locations around the world, including two countries that I had not heard of before. I am not the only one who has noticed these similarities. Some of her colleagues at work call her Lara Croft. The woman who I have exchanged the longest emails with in recent days has a MS in Exercise Science, represented her college in the heptathlon and other track+field events, and made the Olympic bobsled team. She has recently applied to medical school, years after graduating from college. I think there is a higher chance of things working out with her than nearly all of the other women who I have met (email/IM) through online personals. I plan to suggest an in-person meeting with the personal trainer that I mentioned earlier in an email I will send later tonight. This will be the first time I have been the one to suggest a meeting. I also have a tentative meeting scheduled for this coming week with another woman, who works as a high school dean.

My home situation still looks promising. My insurance adjuster and the reconstruction contractor have come to an agreement, and construction should begin early next week. I expect the total cost of all damages and repairs to both homes to be near $50k. There are still some more issues that I do not want to discuss in detail on a public forum. I should have more definite information early next week.

dissipate,
    Thanks for the support. Happy New Year's!

Pringlewheels,
    I would not count on a workout video any time soon. I have not even posted a picture of my face yet.

usertim,
    I would not say that natural methods to improve sleep are always better than drugs. It depends on the situation. You mentioned that you might be having trouble sleeping difficulties because of stress. The obvious solution would be to figure out what is causing the stress and try to reduce it. If it is related to a traumatic event, it may help to talk to someone about it. The usual non-drug recommendations for sleep are listed at http://www.caminomedical.org/handouts/insomnia.html . My doctor gave me a handout that was identical to this page during my first appointment where I mentioned sleeping difficulties.

Thanks for the dating information. I will check out the askmen site, but I am skeptical of the quality of their information.
    Last edited by aka23; 12-31-2004 at 09:04 PM.

i was browsing through your journal and you're living proof that one can get lean and stay lean without protein shakes!

I was just browsing ebay and i found this deal that might interest ya.
    http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll...549007379&rd=1
    I might be wrong but i thought you had them daily.
    Best Meet @ Lifts@181:...............Best gym lifts
    Squat...- 403..........................Squat....- 395 w/belt
    Bench...- 303..........................Bench....- 300....Paused in meet - 281
    Deadlift.- 503.....Unofficial 513...Deadlift..- 490
    Total....- 1,203...IPF Class II......All done raw, Touch'n go bench

"Only those who dare to fail greatly can ever achieve greatly" Robert F. Kennedy

"A man can fail many times, but he isn't a failure until he gives up"

"However beautiful the strategy you should occasionally look at the results" John Berardi

Powerlifting Westside Style

dissipate,
    Thanks for the compliment. Yes. I have had excellent results. I gained roughly 40lb of LBM while remaining very lean. However, my weight and body composition have not changed much in recent months.

Adam MacKinnon,
    I can't tell whether you are joking or just have me confused with someone else. I do not take protein shakes, bars, etc.

I had some interesting events in the gym this week including a girl that I did not know telling me that I had “nice shoulders” and asking me about my training; and seeing the former manager who hired me six years ago. This was the first time I have seen him in 4 years. He immediately noticed the difference in size and made a comment like “That looks like <NAME>, but he's huge.” He said that my 40lb gain was the most that he had heard of naturally. I am not sure if he believed that I was natural or not. My gains in the gym have been slowing down. I am hardly making progress on several exercises. I also may be slowly losing weight.

My online personals experience seems to change dramatically from week to week. Last week I was communicating with well over a dozen women. Now that I have less time with classes, things have slowed down a great deal. I am only seriously communicating with two or three women. One is the Internet attorney who I have placed first in my previous lists. A second is new. She may be the most impressive woman I have met so far. She has had a wide variety of occupations including modeling, a jockey (before her growth spirt, is 5'10”), sports management, and pharmaceutical sales director. She is currently studying veterinary medicine. She competes and does well in poker tournaments, sometimes wins on Millionaire, and is one of the easiest persons to talk to that I have met. I almost did not call her today, thinking that someone like her would not be interested in me. However, she welcomed my call and ended by suggesting meeting on Sat. night.

Nope, wasn't joking. I must've confused you with someone else.
    Best Meet @ Lifts@181:...............Best gym lifts
    Squat...- 403..........................Squat....- 395 w/belt
    Bench...- 303..........................Bench....- 300....Paused in meet - 281
    Deadlift.- 503.....Unofficial 513...Deadlift..- 490
    Total....- 1,203...IPF Class II......All done raw, Touch'n go bench

"Only those who dare to fail greatly can ever achieve greatly" Robert F. Kennedy

"A man can fail many times, but he isn't a failure until he gives up"

"However beautiful the strategy you should occasionally look at the results" John Berardi

Powerlifting Westside Style

A girl!!! Sweet baby, thats the good stuff. 40lbs naturally with no fat gain is outstanding.
    "We fight our battles, we wage our wars, we settle the score, with honor and blood" - Atreyu

Dontate to my favorite charity!

Good luck with the women aka.

BTW, I've wondered, is there any reason in particular you don't use protein poweders/bars, creatine, etc?

how did you manage to gain 40lb LBM while remaining lean?

Quote Originally Posted by dissipate
    how did you manage to gain 40lb LBM while remaining lean?
    Look at his workouts... you will notice an insane amout of cardio... if running at 9.0mph for 50 minutes won't get you lean, I don't know what will...

40 lbs... wow... aka u da man as always!

Quote Originally Posted by aka23
    dissipate,
    Thanks for the compliment. Yes. I have had excellent results. I gained roughly 40lb of LBM while remaining very lean. However, my weight and body composition have not changed much in recent months.

Adam MacKinnon,
    I can't tell whether you are joking or just have me confused with someone else. I do not take protein shakes, bars, etc.

I had some interesting events in the gym this week including a girl that I did not know telling me that I had “nice shoulders” and asking me about my training; and seeing the former manager who hired me six years ago. This was the first time I have seen him in 4 years. He immediately noticed the difference in size and made a comment like “That looks like <NAME>, but he's huge.” He said that my 40lb gain was the most that he had heard of naturally. I am not sure if he believed that I was natural or not. My gains in the gym have been slowing down. I am hardly making progress on several exercises. I also may be slowly losing weight.

My online personals experience seems to change dramatically from week to week. Last week I was communicating with well over a dozen women. Now that I have less time with classes, things have slowed down a great deal. I am only seriously communicating with two or three women. One is the Internet attorney who I have placed first in my previous lists. A second is new. She may be the most impressive woman I have met so far. She has had a wide variety of occupations including modeling, a jockey (before her growth spirt, is 5'10”), sports management, and pharmaceutical sales director. She is currently studying veterinary medicine. She competes and does well in poker tournaments, sometimes wins on Millionaire, and is one of the easiest persons to talk to that I have met. I almost did not call her today, thinking that someone like her would not be interested in me. However, she welcomed my call and ended by suggesting meeting on Sat. night.
    W00t!

'sup aka?

Nice gains, d00d. I have to read your journal more often. heheh.

Stash
    me: so this is the "pump" you speak of
    me: I could never figure out what people were talking about
    Relentless: like an all over body hardon, yeah

Food log

The Focused Chronicles

Straight outta Compton
    aka23,

I just wanted to say I have enjoyed reading your journal ... you are just about as textbook as you can get on lifting, everything is precise and your gains have been incredible. Anyway, hope your having fun with your lady friends. Oh also, don't freak yourself out thinking girls aren't going to want to talk to you or whatever. They are in the same position as you, just go out there and show them "how you do".
    Last edited by Punk In Drublic; 01-18-2005 at 10:03 PM.
    6'5" 200lbs

Wannabebig Member
    Hey aka, how's it going? I just started reading your journal about a month ago. I'm just reached page 30, and have learned so much already. I appreciate all of your advice and knowledge. You are such a motivation. I’m glad to see that you are still posting. From a quick glance, it doesn’t seem you are posting your daily training and eating log any longer. I hope to see you start up again.

In one of your posts you said that milk has a high GI because of the lactose in it. I noticed you don't seem to eat any NF plain yogurt or cottage cheese. Do these products also share the same high GI property? Do you recommend only eating these products after training?

Thanks

Adam MacKinnon,
    No problem. I make that type of mistake as well from time to time.

Y2A,
    Thanks. “Girl” may have been a misleading description. She is an adult, probably as old as I am.

Jasonl,
    Thanks. I believe that the protein supplements would offer minimal benefit for someone with an adequate diet, like mine. I am generally opposed to supplements and unnatural foods.

dissipate,
    You can look through my training logs for detailed information. Some key elements were a well-designed training routine (both weights and cardio), an adequate diet, and a slow rate of weight gain.

_8_Ball,
    I appreciate the support.

Stash,
    Thanks and welcome to the journal.

Punk In Drublic,
    I like your username. Thanks for the compliments. I have received some mixed signals from the woman I mentioned earlier, and things are not looking promising. I will go into more detail below.

dimA,
    Hi dimA. I am impressed that you have been reading the full training log and your first post was in this thread. I would be very surprised, if I said “milk has a high GI because of the lactose in it,” as it is not even close to accurate. I searched through the training log, and the closest statement I found was

“.A larger serving of a lower GI cereal can produce an adequate insulin response, like the smaller servings of dextrose/maltodextrin found in post workout drinks. Furthermore the milk in cereal and other dairy have an unexpectedly high insulin index. They are low GI, yet they cause insulin responses that are greater than all but the highest GI foods (baked potatoes, maltodextrin, etc).”

Note that this indicates milk has a low GI and high II. The same is true for most low-fat dairy products. I think it is fine to eat reasonable quantities of these products any time. “Reasonable quantities” depends on the person.. I go into more detail in the post at http://www.wannabebigforums.com/show...25&postcount=7 .

======================================================================

I met with the second woman I described earlier (“may be the most impressive woman I have met so far”) on Sunday. The date appeared to go very well. There were many positive signals & body language / initiating contact. Towards the end, she asked “When would you like to meet again?” and suggested going to a movie. We agreed on either Meet the Fockers or White Noise today (Friday). I tried calling on Wednesday to finalize the details, and did not get through. I tried calling several times on Thursday and again did not reach her. I do not plan to call again, and I do not think I am going to hear back from her. The experience is puzzling since she seemed so enthusiastic about seeing each other again on Sunday.

A few months ago ryuage asked about changing my lifestyle, if I had a girlfriend/wife. At the time, I thought it was unlikely; but I did not even hesitate to skip my Friday cardio session for the movie. I was starting to grow quite fond of her, and I am disappointed about the situation. I have been thinking about the meeting all week. I even purchased an inexpensive (less than price of a movie ticket) gift that I was planning to give to her, a special type of Frisbee for dogs. One of her favorite activities is playing Frisbee on the beach with her dog. If she says "Frisbee" while her dog is sleeping, the dog wags his tail while sleeping.

Training has been going reasonably well. My wrist seems to have improved this week.
    Last edited by aka23; 01-21-2005 at 01:31 PM.

the lil engine that could chops's Avatar
    hi aka,
    do u plan to resume posting training logs & general comments? and how is the house/plumbing situation? it's interesting that the dog has a response to "frisbee" even tho it's sleeping.

Hey, my dog does that too! He also twitches his running muscles when he dreams.

Give her one more call aka!

The journal / I live here.

If I were to start from scratch as a young 13 year old again, I would do every press, squat, and perhaps deadlifts, for my entire career with chains. -- Dan John

Wannabebig Member
    aka

Thanks for getting back to me. Sorry for being stupid. I should have went back and reread the journal before posting. Sorry for screwing it up so bad. When I went back to look I realized you said:

"Certain dairy products, like skim milk, are an exception. They are low GI, yet they cause insulin responses that are greater than all but the highest GI foods (baked potatoes, maltodextrin, etc). In addition skim milk contains fast absorbing whey protein (as well as slower casien). My postworkout meal supplies some glucose, some fructose, some starch, some fast digesting/absorbing protein, and some slow digesting/absorbing protein. It quickly supplies nutrients, yet continues to supply nutrients a couple hours later. This becomes important since I do not eat a meal 2 hours after my post workout meal, as is often recommended when consuming whey/maltodextrin type supplements."

Don't know where I pulled out the term lactose from.

I was under the impression that the lower the GI of a food the smaller the insulin response and the higher the GI, the higher of an insulin response (directly related). So, even though milk (and other low fat dairy products) causes a high insulin response, you still feel it is okay to consume it (them) at other times other than immediately following a cardio or weightlifting session, when higher GI foods pose a benefit?

Thought I'd peep in here. Thought it seemed like you weren't posting as much. Now I know why. Hope the house situation is getting all taken care of pronto. I'm very glad you found someone that interests you so much. I chuckled when you said, "but I did not even hesitate to skip my Friday cardio session for the movie." I actually stopped lifting for a month when I first met my wife. It was cutting into my smooching time, lol.
    My Journal
    Yea, though I walk through the valley of the shadow of death, I will fear no evil,...Cuz I'm the baddest motherf***er in the valley!
    "The wait in the dressing room before a boxing match --that last hour -- would be enough to strip a man that never boxed before of whatever Pride, Desire, and Heart he THOUGHT he had" -John Scully
    "It takes no effort to be ordinary. Ordinary is not even a challenge. You can do nothing and be ordinary."- Bernard Hopkins

Straight outta Compton
    double post sorry
    Last edited by Punk In Drublic; 01-23-2005 at 08:24 PM.
    6'5" 200lbs

Straight outta Compton
    One of the things that drives girls, or women in your case, nuts is the fact that the man seems to or is obsessed with them. I am not saying that you are, but that might have been implied by the number of calls you gave her. I try to stick with the 2 call rule. The first one you give her the benefit of the doubt, the second you leave a message. Anyway, I think now is sufficient amount of time to call her again and ask what happened about Friday. Maybe something came up in the family?

Also, my dogs always, always, always, yalp or bark in their dreams. They must be so close to catching that cat before they wake up!
    6'5" 200lbs

cut block extraordinaire
    Post #4000 Sorry I just had to. And I agree w/ Punk