The Five Biggest Contradictions in Fitness
Latest Article

The Five Biggest Contradictions in Fitness

It’s no secret that when people contradict themselves, it has the effect of making the flaws in their actions or statements seem glaringly obvious. But what about when WE ourselves get caught contradicting ourselves by someone else?

By: Nick Tumminello Added: January 6th, 2014
More Recent Articles
Contrast Training for Size
By: Lee Boyce
An Interview with Marianne Kane of Girls Gone Strong
By: Jordan Syatt
What Supplements Should I be Taking? By: Jay Wainwright
Bench Like a Girl By: Julia Ladewski
Some Thoughts on Building a Big Pull By: Christopher Mason

Facebook Join Facebook Group       Twitter Follow on Twitter       rss Subscribe via RSS
Page 161 of 161 FirstFirst ... 61111151159160161
Results 4,001 to 4,025 of 4025

Thread: Training Log

when you first were on your way down to your current bodyfat levels, was the cardio you did the same as what you have been doing since page 1 of your journal?

chops,
    I do not plan to resume posting training logs any time soon. I may do so at some point in the future. It would have been nice to have a record of training logs earlier this week when some house cleaners accidentally threw out my training notebook. Now I have no record of my earlier lifts, so I am uncertain of many PRs.

The house/plumbing situation is good. Reparations are complete. I received 4 checks from my insurance company yesterday. They are paying for everything except for my $500 deductible and a $370 supplemental fee. I am still not sure what the supplemental fee is about. This may sound like a lot but it is nothing compared to the cost of the damages which would have been in ~$25k without insurance.

MixmasterNash,
    I believe that she also mentioned that her dog runs in her dreams. She left a message on my answering machine at work shortly after I wrote that post, suggesting that I call her again to set up meeting. I reached her at about 5pm. She said that she was needed for a veterinary emergency surgery, and did not expect to get out until 7. I left her a message at ~8:30PM, and I never heard from her again.

dimA,
    There is a good correlation between GI and insulin response in most foods. Dairy products are an exception. You can see some examples of how they compare at http://www.mendosa.com/insulin_index.htm . Like I said in my previous post, I think it is fine to eat “reasonable quantities” of these products any time.

Bruteman,
    Thanks for the support. I discussed my house situation in my reply to chops. Things are excellent. Things are not as good with the woman I mentioned earlier. It is very unlikely that I will see her again. However, there are several other women that I have been communicating with.

Punk In Drublic,
    My number of calls may have contributed to the apparent change in interest, but I do not think it was the primary factor. I called on Wed. without leaving a message, then waited a day before calling again. Based on previous discussion, I believe that her cell phone tracks missed calls even when there is not a recorded message. If this was not the case, I only left a single message on Thursday.

I have thought of dozens of possible reasons for the change in interest. I think one of the more likely ones is meeting someone else. I would expect that she is inundated with responses to her profile, based on her appearance. I was quite surprised when she initiated contact with me. Some of the other more interesting and less likely possible explanations are:

--She was interested in the challenge of someone who did not appear interested—
    During our first phone call, I said I had to go after talking 30 minutes for a class. She suggested calling her back when I returned, but I did not call back until the next day to make time for a workout. During our meeting, I was not very hands on. She initiated physical contact several times. I did not initiate any contact. She suggested both meetings, she suggested walking her to her car, she suggested… After I agreed to see her again and started calling her, then I was no longer a challenge, and she was no longer interested.

--She and her friends have been playing some type of game with me--
    It is common for friends to do online personals at the same time and share experiences with each other. Many of the women I have spoke with mentioned posting from the friend’s computer or discussing possible matches with friends. She has mentioned that she and her friends sometimes go to cowboy bars and ask detailed questions about horses to the guys to pick out guys that are pretenders and joke at them. This implies that some of her friends are knowledgeable about horses. I have received a disproportionately large number of contacts from women who own a horse, have a horse-related job, grew up on a ranch, etc. Most are approximately the same age and live in the same area. It makes me wonder if they are friends and have been sharing information about me.

--It was the hug—
    The goodbye hug after arranging the meeting was unusual (I do not wish to elaborate more than that) and could have put her off.

It has been 4 days. Perhaps I will call her tonight and attempt to determine the actual reason and end on good terms.

andy51,
    Post #4002

dissipate,
    The cardio was similar, but I had a more poorly designed workout schedule as a whole. I believe that I used to my cardio sessions in a 3-day cycle: day 1 cycling, day 2 running, day 3 long duration cycling. I have maintained low body fat levels since I started training very frequently -- both weights and cardio and having a controlled diet. I probably reached my lowest body fat at some mid-point during the journal while I was slowly bulking.
    Last edited by aka23; 01-25-2005 at 02:19 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by aka23
    It has been 4 days. Perhaps I will call her tonight and attempt to determine the actual reason and end on good terms.
    I just called her tonight. I had a whole sequence of discussion topics planned, and was going to end with asking for the reason of her apparent loss of interest. However, it did not go as planned. Instead she asked when I would like to get together with her midway through the call. Now I have plans to see a movie with her again. Hopefully we will be seeing White Noise this Sunday. The plans seem more definite this time, as we have a set a time, a location, and a date/time to call and confirm.

I hope things work out for you.

douglasmolina,
    Thanks for the support.

It has been a long time since I last posted a workout. The working sets of my past three weight sessions are below. Suspected PRs (either weight or rep) are in bold. As you can see, my lifts have not changed much.

Day 1:
    Neutral Grip Chin-ups - BW+65 x9, BW+65 x8
    DB Rows - 90x9/9, 115x9/9, 140x9/9, 155x6/3 (PR for no DB lean form)
    Strict Hammer Curls - 60/52.5 x 6/9, 60/52.5 x 6/9 (PR not known)
    Strict One-armed lateral raise - 45x7/7 (PR not known)

Day 2:
    Squats - 410x7, 410x7 (Depth is suspect)
    Full Squats - 315x7, 315x7 (Max ROM)
    Lunges - 270x7/7
    Leg Curl - 110x7,110x7 (With home gym attachment)
    Incline sit-ups - Not Recorded

Day 3:
    Neutral Grip Low-incline Press - 112.5x6, 100x9 (Second set max ROM, form PR)
    Press-like Fly - 95x7
    Shoulder Press - 95x7, 95x7, 95x7/6
    Strict one-armed Skull - 65/50 x 8

Wannabebig Member
    aka,

Great to see you posting your workout's again. Hope that it is a trend that will continue.

Do you think flax oil and fish oil supplements are necessary to receive appropriate amounts of essential fatty acids, or would I receive enough from olive oil, natural peanut butter, and almonds? I noticed that you usually consume flax oil and fish oil everyday.

Good Luck on Sunday. Have a great time.

Mike

thanks aka. i'm glad to see you posting the workouts again after so long!

As you can see, my lifts have not changed much.
    It's all about the baby steps man. You know that.
    My Journal
    Yea, though I walk through the valley of the shadow of death, I will fear no evil,...Cuz I'm the baddest motherf***er in the valley!
    "The wait in the dressing room before a boxing match --that last hour -- would be enough to strip a man that never boxed before of whatever Pride, Desire, and Heart he THOUGHT he had" -John Scully
    "It takes no effort to be ordinary. Ordinary is not even a challenge. You can do nothing and be ordinary."- Bernard Hopkins

Straight outta Compton
    Haha, well I would have told you that White Noise is a bad movie but I didn't know about it till today. Hope you had fun, and I am glad that she wanted to hang out some more. Good luck with her and your lifting.

EDIT:

Leg Curl - 110x7,110x7 (With home gym attachment)
    When did you start working out at home?
    Last edited by Punk In Drublic; 01-30-2005 at 01:16 PM.
    6'5" 200lbs

Quote:
    Originally Posted by dissipate
    how did you manage to gain 40lb LBM while remaining lean?

Look at his workouts... you will notice an insane amout of cardio... if running at 9.0mph for 50 minutes won't get you lean, I don't know what will...

40 lbs... wow... aka u da man as always!

i was reading back and wondered whether you ever did too much cardio and lost muscle; and whether the cardio that you do now is a result of testing to see how much cardio you could do without compromising muscle.

Mike,
    It would be difficult to consume optimal amounts of omega-3 fatty acids without fish or supplements. Peanuts, almonds, and olive oil all have insignificant levels of omega-3 fatty acids.

dimA and dissipate,
    I appreciate the support. I do not have my training notebook with my workouts with me at the moment, but I plan to post workout or lift/PR updates from time to time in the future.

Bruteman,
    I agree. I do not expect rapid changes unless I decide to gain weight again.

Punk In Drublic,
    I was aware that White Noise did not receive great reviews before seeing the movie, but the quality of the movie was not my primary concern. She appeared to really enjoy the movie. She said that she “loved it” and would have watched it again right then. I also enjoyed the movie, significantly more than Ocean’s 12. The date appeared to go well. We chatted in a restaurant for ~2 hours after watching the movie, which was well after both the mall and restaurant had closed to other customers. I plan to call her tonight and suggest doing something together this weekend, perhaps another movie.

I have been working at home throughout the journal. My usual routine is 3 weight sessions at home followed be 3 weight sessions at the gym, with a different set of exercises.

dissipate,
    I am not particularly concerned about losing muscle by doing too much cardio. I think this is not a significant concern excluding a few unusual circumstances that usually occur when glycogen levels are very low. I went into more detail in the post at http://www.wannabebigforums.com/show...5&postcount=10
    Last edited by aka23; 02-03-2005 at 05:13 PM.

Straight outta Compton
    Wow, I never knew you worked at home. Anyway, glad to see the date went good, and talking for 2 hours in person after the movie? Damn. By the time you read this you guys will be going steady.

But back to the workout out at home thing. Do you have a spotter or what?

Good luck with lifts and the girl!

Forgive me if this is a personal question, but I have just been skimming through the last couple of pages before you stopped posting your workouts, and I noticed that you are using sleeping aids every day. I remember reading a post a long time ago that said your goal was to not get addicted to them and to rotate the sleeping aids to keep from addiction. You seem to have been taking sleeping aids every single night, and I was curious if you feel (or felt) you have an addiction, or if you wake up feeling like you actually slept for 8 hours? I heard that sleeping aids cause you to feel groggy, like you haven't gotten a good night sleep, after a prolonged use to them. Is this true?

Also, I just read on the back on a frozen fish package that it is unhealthy to eat fish on a daily basis, and that you should limit the amount of fish eaten to 3 times a week. I found an article that debates weather or not the levels of PCBs and mercury are harmful from eating fish daily. Of course the article pertains to pregnant women or young children, but I still think this would be unhealthy for someone like yourself to be eating 2 - 3 meals each day that contain fish. I was curious if you knew about these warnings and what your thoughts on this are?
    Last edited by Punk In Drublic; 02-11-2005 at 08:28 AM.
    6'5" 200lbs

Wannabebig Member
    aka

Thanks -- Didn't realize that. Even though olive oil, peanuts, and almonds don't contain essential fatty acids, do you still believe that they should be included in a diet?

On Wednesday I purchased Flax Seed Oil in capsules from Trader Joe's. Are capsules okay? -- Not sure if there is a disadvantage from not taking the actual oil.

Where do you purchase your flax, fish, and borage oil from? Do you have any recommendations?

Thanks

Mike
    Last edited by dimA; 02-04-2005 at 10:49 AM.

Yo, you pimp!! Its been a while. How are the ladies?
    "We fight our battles, we wage our wars, we settle the score, with honor and blood" - Atreyu

Dontate to my favorite charity!

Are we ever going to see regular journal posts from you again?
    "It is often said, mainly by the "no-contests", that although there is no positive evidence for the existence of God, nor is there evidence against his existence. So it is best to keep an open mind and be agnostic. At first sight that seems an unassailable position, at least in the weak sense of Pascal's wager. But on second thought it seems a cop-out, because the same could be said of Father Christmas and tooth fairies. There may be fairies at the bottom of the garden. There is no evidence for it, but you can't prove that there aren't any, so shouldn't we be agnostic with respect to fairies?"

Richard Dawkins

"Out of all of the sects in the world, we notice an uncanny coincidence: the overwhelming majority just happen to choose the one that their parents belong to. Not the sect that has the best evidence in its favour, the best miracles, the best moral code, the best cathedral, the best stained glass, the best music: when it comes to choosing from the smorgasbord of available religions, their potential virtues seem to count for nothing, compared to the matter of heredity. This is an unmistakable fact; nobody could seriously deny it. Yet people with full knowledge of the arbitrary nature of this heredity, somehow manage to go on believing in their religion, often with such fanaticism that they are prepared to murder people who follow a different one."

Richard Dawkins

"Bah. You know I hate poor people."

Paul Stagg

Punk In Drublic,
    I meant to say work out at home, rather than work at home. I am not sure if that was clear. I do not have a spotter, but I almost never need one for the exercises listed below (bottom of post). It would have been nice to have a spotter when I broke my arm while doing DB presses at home last August.

I average sleeping aids about 6 nights a week. I rotate them to avoid addiction, withdrawal, and other negative effects. Note that there are many types of sleeping aids with different withdrawal/addiction characteristics. For example some of the same types of antidepressants that people take on a daily basis are used in lower doses as sleeping aids. Similarly the active ingredient in the common OTC antihistamine Benadryl is the same active ingredient in a large portion of OTC sleeping aids, yet people rarely make a big deal about withdrawal/addiction to diphenhydramine when used as an antihistamine rather than when used as a sleeping aid.

It is hard to generalize because there are many different types of sleeping aids. Answering your question, I think most people who feel groggy on the morning after taking sleeping aids do so because the sleeping aids have a long half-life, so their effects are still noticeable after waking. I sometimes experience this type of groggy effect after taking doxylamine, which has a half-life of ~10 hours. I would expect few people to experience morning grogginess after taking Sonata, which only has a half-life of ~1 hour.

I currently eat fish ~once per day. I am aware of the mercury issues, but am not especially worried about them. Note that the amount of mercury varies greatly from one type of fish to another. I would expect that the limit you listed does not apply to healthy male adults (as opposed to pregnant women or young children).

I will post more about the dating situation in my reply to Y2A.

Mike,
    Note that there are different types of EFAs. I mentioned omega-3 fatty acids in my earlier reply, rather than omega-6 fatty acids, which are contained in the foods you listed. I think capsules are fine. I purchase my supplements from Henry’s Marketplace because they are inexpensive and convenient. You can probably do fine with fish oil alone. Flax will also supply EPA/DHA through an indirect and less efficient conversion.

Y2A,
    I have mentioned dating in most of my recent posts. A quick summary is we had tentatively planned to meet for another movie on Monday, she cancelled and suggested “touching base around Wednesday or so” to get together later in the week. I left a poorly-worded message on Wednesday and have not heard back yet. There are also a few other interesting women, but none that I have plans to see this weekend.

Perhaps the most bizarre of all is a woman who sent me an email with the subject “I must be crazy” and containing the sentence “I need help from guy like you, so please help!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!not for my self.” She suggested meeting for coffee immediately, without having seen a picture of me or told me any introductory information about herself. When I asked what she meant by “not for my self”, she said that she was just acting crazy, she would explain later, and I would not like the answer.

Manveet,
    I do not know. I have posted some workout information below:

I weighed 203lb this morning, the most I have ever weighed. I suspect that anything over 200lb is water weight from taking Prednisone. Prednisone is a catabolic steroid (breaks down muscle and increases fat) that is commonly prescribed for its antiinflammatory properties. I only took it Mon-Thur, so I do not expect much body composition effects. In addition to the increase in weight, the side effects that I noticed are:

1. Increase in thirst
    2. Slight decrease in appetite
    3. Slightly larger appetite swings
    4. Large decrease in wrist irritation from prior injury, months ago
    5. Significant dermatological improvement
    6. Significant improvement in performance on weight training exercises (This side effect does not make sense, perhaps it is connected to #4)
    7. Minor decrease in DOMS.
    8. All sleeping aids have much more potent initial effects.

It should go without saying, that I have been having some health problems recently. I saw an allergist on Mon and found out I am allergic to dust mites. I am seeing an ENT specialist in about a half-hour.

My working sets from three recent weight training sessions are listed below. I listed ? when I did not remember weight or reps. PRs can be inferred by comparing to the session I posted two weeks ago.

Day 1:
    Neutral Grip Chin-ups - BW+75 x7, BW+75 x7
    DB Rows - 90x9/9, 115x9/9, 140x9/9, 155x8/5 (PR for no DB lean form)
    Strict Hammer Curls – 62.5/55 x ?, 62.5/55 x ?
    Strict One-armed lateral raise – ? (one set)

Day 2:
    Squats - 415x6, 415x6 (Depth is suspect)
    Full Squats - 325x7, 325x7 (Max ROM)
    Lunges - 280x7/7
    Leg Curl - 120x?,120x? (With home gym attachment)
    Incline sit-ups - Not Recorded

Day 3:
    Neutral Grip Low-incline Press - 117.5x4/5 (more with injured left arm), 105x8? (Second set max ROM, form PR)
    Press-like Fly - 95x8?
    Shoulder Press - 95x8?, 95x8?
    Strict Front Raise – ? (one set)
    Strict one-armed Skull - ? (one set)
    Last edited by aka23; 02-11-2005 at 05:35 PM.

Straight outta Compton
    Nice to see you update again. Any reason why you don't think you will continue with the journal besides loosing interest?

And I figured you wouldn't care much about the fish, as the more I researched the safer it seemed to those who are not pregnant and/or a child (you never know these days).

Also, I figured thats how you worked your sleeping pills in. How is your sleep on the day of the week where you don't take any sleeping aids, as opposed to the days that you do?

And sorry for the probing questions, but what is Prednisone for? It would seem counter productive to lift, but also have a medication that breaks muscle up into fat?

Nice Squats, I'm assuming these are ATF, since you said max ROM? I hope you have a squat rack if your doing these types of exercises.
    Last edited by Punk In Drublic; 02-11-2005 at 04:59 PM.
    6'5" 200lbs

Wannabebig Member
    aka,

Thanks. I also purchased some fish oil from TJ's a few days ago and plan to use it along with the flax seed oil for now. I might purchase some borage oil in the future.

Do you think that it is necessary to supplement with anything else besides EFA's while weight training -- for example l-glutamine or BCAA's?

What are you current weight training and cardio schedules? I know that you were doing cardio just about everyday and weight training five times a week.

Glad to see the updates.

Mike

It would have been nice to have a spotter when I broke my arm while doing DB presses at home last August.
    GASP.

Perhaps the most bizarre of all is a woman who sent me an email with the subject “I must be crazy” and containing the sentence “I need help from guy like you, so please help!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!not for my self.” She suggested meeting for coffee immediately, without having seen a picture of me or told me any introductory information about herself. When I asked what she meant by “not for my self”, she said that she was just acting crazy, she would explain later, and I would not like the answer.
    RUN FOR YOUR LIFE!!!!!!!!!!!111

hey have you heard about lunesta, the new sleeping aid that supposedly can be used long-term as it's non-addictive?

glad to see you posting a workout in here. there're probably a lot of things i can learn from you even if it's a post with ?s. hope you're feeling better... :/ keep us updated on how you're doing eh.

Wannabebig Member
    aka,

How's it going? Haven't heard from you in a while. Hope that everything is good. Looking forward to your return.

Mike
    Last edited by dimA; 03-20-2005 at 01:08 AM.

where are you aka23?
    "It is often said, mainly by the "no-contests", that although there is no positive evidence for the existence of God, nor is there evidence against his existence. So it is best to keep an open mind and be agnostic. At first sight that seems an unassailable position, at least in the weak sense of Pascal's wager. But on second thought it seems a cop-out, because the same could be said of Father Christmas and tooth fairies. There may be fairies at the bottom of the garden. There is no evidence for it, but you can't prove that there aren't any, so shouldn't we be agnostic with respect to fairies?"

Richard Dawkins

"Out of all of the sects in the world, we notice an uncanny coincidence: the overwhelming majority just happen to choose the one that their parents belong to. Not the sect that has the best evidence in its favour, the best miracles, the best moral code, the best cathedral, the best stained glass, the best music: when it comes to choosing from the smorgasbord of available religions, their potential virtues seem to count for nothing, compared to the matter of heredity. This is an unmistakable fact; nobody could seriously deny it. Yet people with full knowledge of the arbitrary nature of this heredity, somehow manage to go on believing in their religion, often with such fanaticism that they are prepared to murder people who follow a different one."

Richard Dawkins

Paul Stagg

Yo, Where you at thug? :P
    Last edited by AllUp; 06-10-2005 at 05:49 PM.
    AUIU
    <=Real Sword, Fake Glow.
    ---
    Research that s*** up son. <me
    ---
    Gyno Rhino: "I think your cyber-game just sucks."
    ---
    Brawl: "Fill it with rocks , walk up to the sales dude and hit him in the face with it . When he falls down kick him in the neck and say " this stuff is junk "."

Brawl: "Or grab a bottle bust it on the table and stab him in his neck"

Quote Originally Posted by AllUp
    Yo, Where you at thug? :P
    He spends more time over on www.bodyrecomposition.com

Richard Dawkins

Richard Dawkins

Paul Stagg

Nice work man,,, been gone for a while looks like you're doing good.
    The only easy day was yesterday!
    Deibiddo

Gentleness requires strength
    I wanta new drug, one that won’t make sick! One that'll makes me three feet wide one that'll makes me three feet thick!

Wonder where this chap is these days? Used to enjoy reading his entries.