The Five Biggest Contradictions in Fitness
Latest Article

The Five Biggest Contradictions in Fitness

Itís no secret that when people contradict themselves, it has the effect of making the flaws in their actions or statements seem glaringly obvious. But what about when WE ourselves get caught contradicting ourselves by someone else?

By: Nick Tumminello Added: January 6th, 2014
More Recent Articles
Contrast Training for Size
By: Lee Boyce
An Interview with Marianne Kane of Girls Gone Strong
By: Jordan Syatt
What Supplements Should I be Taking? By: Jay Wainwright
Bench Like a Girl By: Julia Ladewski
Some Thoughts on Building a Big Pull By: Christopher Mason

Facebook Join Facebook Group       Twitter Follow on Twitter       rss Subscribe via RSS
Page 2 of 161 FirstFirst 12341252102 ... LastLast

Thread: Training Log

Current picture for comparison.

Bi-2
    Tr-2
    Ca-2
    Pe-3
    Mi-3
    Ab-4
    Qu-4
    Sp-5
    Sb-8
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Last edited by aka23; 04-16-2003 at 09:04 PM.

Some attractive ladies were doing lunges in front of me, while I was on the bench press. I am not sure if this helped me or hurt me. I had trouble focusing, but it probably added some adreneline.

Best of luck at the doctor. Hope he/she can get it straightened out for you.

Today's Training Log

Sleep
    I slept approximately 4.5 hours last night with help from a sleeping aid.

Weights
    No weight training. I may do some ab work later tonight.

Cardio
    Cycling -- Very low intensity, very long duration

Diet
    • ~3300 calories
    • Meal 1 - Large bowl Shredded Wheat with skim milk and cut up banana, red snapper fillet, a few peanuts
    • Meal 2 - Large bowl black beans mixed with brown rice, sweet potato, small serving chicken breast, grapes, a few peanuts
    • Meal 3 - Large bowl oatmeal, canned tuna, brown rice, 1 package green beans, pear, a few peanuts
    • Meal 4 - Grape Nuts with skim milk, 1 package brussel sprouts, 1 ear corn, cantalope
    • Snack 1 - Oatmeal, 1 package broccoli, a few peanuts
    • Snack 2 - Grapes

Supplements
    2g flax oil, 1g fish oil, 1 multivitamin/mineral (no iron)
    Last edited by aka23; 04-14-2003 at 11:54 PM.

Originally posted by aka23
    I ate a 6oz can of Chicken of the Sea Pink Salmon as part of meal 3 tonight. The side of the container says it has 2.5 servings of 60 calories for a total of 2.5*60=150 calories. I track my foods at fiday.com . They say that a 6oz can of pink salmon has approximately 240 calories. The USDA database also says about 240 calories. I am wondering why there is such a difference. I imagine that Chicken of the Sea could be using some type of creative rounding which might get the total to 62*2.7~=170. Perhaps Chicken of the Sea packs a lot of water into their cans, so a larger portion of the 6oz can is water than in standard salmon. According to the can, there is about 5oz after the water is drained. Using fitday.com numbers, 5oz of drained has ~210 calories. I still cannot get the numbers to work out and am unsure which is the more accurate number to use. I have similar questions about canned tuna.
    I think it has to do with the water or oil that the fish is packed in - it may be higher than the manu lists.

BTW - your journal is great - I love the format. Nice workouts as well.

I noticed that you use standard plates and that you need some longer DB handles....

http://www.newyorkbarbells.com/im-0030.html

check these out.
    Current Stats --------------- Training Goals: Improve athletic conditioning.
    Squat - 305lbs - 1/23/06 ----- 335
    Deadlift - 415lbs - 2/4/06 ---- 435
    Bench - 90s*7 ----------------- 100s*5
    Weight - 208 ------------------ 190
    Height - 5'10"

My Journal|My Routine|My FitDay
    WBBB|"Many of life's failures are people who did not realize how close they were to success when they gave up" - Thomas Edison

Originally posted by ericg
    I noticed that you use standard plates and that you need some longer DB handles....

http://www.newyorkbarbells.com/im-0030.html

check these out.
    Thanks for the link to the long dumbbell handles. Those are exactly what I am looking for. I will order a set later today.

The fitness store accepted a return on the long Ivanko handles I purchased on Saturday. They told me that the Ivanko handles are made extra thick, so the weights won't slide around. The handles are meant to be used on permanent dumbbells for which the weights are not changed. These extra thick bars are not compatable with my regular plates. They use special plates that have slightly larger holes than mine and are flatter than mine. I purchased 4 of these extra flat plates, so I could fit a bit of extra weight on my older handles. I wish I had known about the bars at http://www.newyorkbarbells.com/im-0030.html a couple days ago before I made this purchase. I suppose my new plates are not wasted money, since I will need extra plates for the longer handles that I plan to order.
    Last edited by aka23; 04-14-2003 at 02:41 PM.

Originally posted by bradley
    Best of luck at the doctor. Hope he/she can get it straightened out for you.
    Unfortunately, it sounds like there are no easy fixes. My doctor prescribed some Restoril to be used on a temporary basis. He probably chose Restoril over the traditional Ambien because I wake up several times during the night. He recommends not using it more than a few days in a row to avoid negative side effects such as rebound insomnia. I will try some on Thursday night.

He gave me a pamphlet with some sleeping tips. The tips are identical to the ones that are listed at http://www.caminomedical.org/handouts/insomnia.html . In addition, he suggested seeing a psychiatrist to rule out anxiety issues, OCD, Asperger's Disorder, etc. I found a good website where users rate various medications, treatments, and share results at http://www.remedyfind.com/sym.asp?id=19 The website has information about a wide variety of health issues, not just insomnia.

Today's Training Log

Sleep
    I slept approximately 4 hours last night. I think this is a decent amount considering I did not use a sleeping aid, and I have used one for the past 4 nights. I was expecting some type of rebound effect.

Weights
    Pull Day
    Chin-ups -- BWx18*, BWx15
    Bicep Curl with EZ-curl bar -- 95x8*, 90x9*
    Dumbbell Concentration curls -- 45x6*, 40x10/9* (10 reps right, 9 reps left)
    Dumbbell Rows -- 95x7*, 85x10*
    Upright Rows -- 95x7*, 90x9*
    Dumbbell Shrugs -- 190x8* , 170x16*

Bold = Largest weight ever used for given exercise
    * = Personal Record, Record number of reps at a given weight or record weight at a given number or reps

It was a good workout. I made personal bests on almost every set, but many of them were only one rep more than last week. Next week I will do chinups with some type of additional weight. Perhaps I will use a backpack or hold a dumbbell in my legs. I think my form is getting poor on the dumbbell rows. I am bringing them up toward the side of my stomache, rather than the edge of my body. I may reduce the weight next week, and work on form. It seems that each time I do dumbbell shrugs I am limited by the amount of time my left hand can hold the dumbell instead of the shrug. I may try barbell shrugs next week.

Cardio
    HIIT, long intervals on treadmill
    Last week I did 1 min intervals at 12mph and 7mph on the treadmill. This went very poorly, so I plan to drop things down a level today. I will either reduce speed or reduce the high/low ratio. I will edit this post and report how it goes.

EDIT: I started out at my with my usual 12mph/7mph then reduced the intensity as time went on. The workout looked something like below. I do not remember the exact numbers of each interval.

3 min -- warmup
    1 min -- 7 mph
    2 intervals -- 1 min 12 mph / 1 min 7mph
    3 intervals -- 50 sec 12 mph / 70 sec 7 mph
    5 intervals -- 50 sec 11 mph / 70 sec 7 mph
    5 intervals -- 50 sec 10 mph / 70 sec 7 mph
    2 min -- 7 mph
    5 min -- cooldown

At each interval was able to get my heart rate in the desired range, and I did not feel awful at the end of the workout like during previous weeks. I plan to continue with this method in future workouts, slowly increasing the intensity as my fitness improves. I also am interested in getting a HR monitor in the near future to help with this type of workout.

Diet
    • ~3300 calories
    • Meal 1 - Large bowl Shredded Wheat with skim milk and cut up banana, pollock fillet, a few peanuts
    • Meal 2 - Large bowl black beans mixed with brown rice, sweet potato, small serving chicken breast, orange, a few peanuts
    • Meal 3 - Large bowl oatmeal, chicken breast, brown rice, 1 package green beans, pear, a few peanuts
    • Meal 4 - Organic Oat Bran cereal with skim milk, baby lima beans mixed with corn (succotash), watermelon
    • Snack 2 - Grapes

Supplements
    1g flax oil, 2g fish oil
    Last edited by aka23; 04-16-2003 at 09:49 AM.

Nice session man!

How is that weight belt coming along? You order it yet?
    Current Stats --------------- Training Goals: Improve athletic conditioning.
    Squat - 305lbs - 1/23/06 ----- 335
    Deadlift - 415lbs - 2/4/06 ---- 435
    Bench - 90s*7 ----------------- 100s*5
    Weight - 208 ------------------ 190
    Height - 5'10"

My Journal|My Routine|My FitDay
    WBBB|"Many of life's failures are people who did not realize how close they were to success when they gave up" - Thomas Edison

I have not ordered a weight belt yet. I have mixed feelings about using a weight belt to hold more than my body weight when doing chin-ups. A belt would quite helpful to attach plates with minimal interference for chin-ups and other exercises. The belt might assist me in other ways as well. However, I think it would draw unwanted attention to myself, and it would be a pain to carry it back and forth each time I went to the gym.

I am thinking about holding plates in a backpack when doing chin-ups at home, instead of a weight belt. I can probably find a backpack lying around, so this won't cost me any money and it will be available immediately. I will probably start using this setup next week. I doubt that I will take the backpack with me to the gym. Instead I will either continue doing high reps, try an extra wide grip, or do all of my chin-ups at home.
    Last edited by aka23; 04-15-2003 at 02:09 PM.

Originally posted by ericg
    I think it has to do with the water or oil that the fish is packed in - it may be higher than the manu lists.
    Good idea about the water/oil packing. The water packing explains the canned tuna (not salmon) differences in nutritional information. When I compare drained Chicken of the Sea tuna to standard drained tuna I can get the numbers to work out, even though they do not work out when I compare the full can with water. I cannot get the numbers to work out for the canned salmon. There is another factor.

Have you thought about sending the salmon manufacturer an e-mail and see what kind of response you get?...
    I just received an email response from Chicken of the Sea regarding the differences between the nutritional information on their cans and in fitday.com/USDA database. They wrote:

"The COS Skinless and Boneless Salmon style product is different from the Traditional style pink Salmon. The main differences are.

1) The S/B Salmon is cooked before caning while the Traditional Salmon is canned raw. A considerable amount of the natural fish oil drains out during the initial cooking process.

2) In the S/B Salmon, the skin and the dark meat portion is removed while in the Traditional Salmon, the entire fish is used. Additional amount of fish oil is lost when the skin and dark meat portions are removed.

If you need further assistance, you may contact FDA fishproduct department 888-723-336 or our Consumer Affairs line 800-456-1511"

So it sounds like Chicken of the Sea salmon has fewer calories per ounce than other canned salmon because they have fewer natural oils, and they remove the skin and dark meat portions. It follows that Chicken of the Sea salmon probably has fewer good omega 3 fats than other companies. Unfortunately this is the only brand that my supermarket carries in the 6oz can size I like.
    Last edited by aka23; 04-16-2003 at 04:20 AM.

I would have never guessed that was the reason for the variations in the calorie content. Although the omega-3 contentent is probably lower the taste is probably somewhat better due to the company removing the dark meat.

It seems that each time I do dumbbell shrugs I am limited by the amount of time my left hand can hold the dumbell instead of the shrug. I may try barbell shrugs next week.
    I agree, and try them using a mixed grip which should help.

Energizer Bunnie
    Congratulations on starting your journal. Your goals are very clear and concise....for that matter, so is your entire journal layout.

Hope you are getting enough sleep now...I don't know how you can survive on as little as you do.
    "Happiness is not an accident. Nor is it something you wish for. Happiness is something you design." Jim Rohn

A Work In Progress....II

DailyDiet

Originally posted by Franjipani
    Congratulations on starting your journal. Your goals are very clear and concise....for that matter, so is your entire journal layout.

Hope you are getting enough sleep now...I don't know how you can survive on as little as you do.
    Thanks for the compliments on the journal.

I am still only getting 4-5 hours of sleep on most weekdays. I plan is to use my new prescription sleeping medication (Restoril) on Thursday-Sunday nights and use no sleeping aid on Monday-Wednesday nights. I do not want to use the medication every day since it loses effectiveness as the body adapts, and to minimize negative effects such as addiction and rebound insomnia. In addition, the medication might make it difficult to wake up and perform my morning workouts, which are on Tuesday-Thursday. I have no idea how effective the medication will be.

I am pleasantly surprised that my lack of sleep has not been interfering with my workouts very much. I thought it might hinder recovery and prevent me from improving.
    Last edited by aka23; 04-16-2003 at 09:28 AM.

Today's Training Log

Sleep
    I slept approximately 4 hours last night without using sleeping aids.

EDIT: I took a 1 hour nap this evening, so my total sleep for the day is 5 hours.

Weights
    Leg/Ab Day
    Squats -- (warmup), 230x8*, 215x10*, 185x13*
    Forward Lunges -- 105x10*
    Crunches -- 20*, 20
    Twisting Crunches -- 25*
    Several Different Leg Raise Type Exercises -- 3 sets did not count reps

* = Personal Record, Record number of reps at a given weight or record weight at a given number or reps

This was another good workout with personal bests on almost every set. I am continuing with the leg split I did last week (squats+lunges on Wed, leg curls+calve raise on Sat, leg press+leg extension on Sun). Some of the weights probably sound unusual for the squats. I added 2.5lb on each side to make 230, so I would exceed my previous maximum of 225. I probably should have gone higher. My cardiovascular system acted like it was still doing yesterday's HIIT during some of the sets. My heart rate raced to more than 75% MHR, and I was out of breath.

Cardio
    Cycling, moderate intensity
    I plan to do stationary cycling at a constant level. I will update this message later today and report how it went.

EDIT: Outstanding performance during this workout. I broke my record distance by a significant margin. I may need to increase the level next week.

Diet
    • ~3300 calories
    • Meal 1 - Large bowl Shredded wheat with skim milk, red snapper fillet, small banana, a few peanuts
    • Meal 2 - Large bowl black beans mixed with brown rice, sweet potato, small chicken breast, grapes, a few peanuts
    • Meal 3 - Large bowl oatmeal, chicken breast, brown rice, 1 package green beans, pear, a few peanuts
    • Meal 4 - Grape Nuts with skim milk, baby lima beans mixed with corn (succotash), watermelon
    • Snack 2 - SKIPPED

Supplements
    1g borage oil, 1g flax oil, 1g fish oil
    Last edited by aka23; 04-19-2004 at 03:09 PM.

The Accu-meausre skin callipers I ordered from http://store.yahoo.com/bodyworks-nut...traccalac.html recently arrived. I like how it gives an objective digital measure, instead of requiring users to read values from an analog monitor. I also like how it records measurements on the screen. This allows users to take measurements on hard to reach areas such as the back without external assistance. I do not like how its precision is limited to 1mm and how it is only programmed with the Jackson-Pollock 3-site formula (chest, triceps, abs; more detail below). In addition, the user interface is designed poorly. The measure has a good sized standard error of at least 3%. This error increases if the tester is unskilled. The body fat measures are consisitent, but may not be accurate. They may be consistently too high or too low. This consistency makes the device useful when used for tracking changes.

Last week I came across a training journal that began with body fat+skin calliper measures, and a link to an excellent website that described measuring techniques. I would like to visit that website and reread the measuring techniques, but I am unable to remember whos journal it was.

I mentioned above that the skin callipers are programmed with the JP-3 formula for converting measures to a body fat percent. This is one of many possible formulas. Some others are listed at http://www.abodybuilding.com/AntroCalc.html . The JP-3 formula works well for young persons with average body fat, but it works poorly for persons who have atypical levels of body fat. For this reason, the device is reporting ridiculously low body fat levels. I have tried other formulas, and they all seem to give different results. The results from some formulas are clearly too high and others are clearly too low. I have no idea what formula is best to use for very lean persons. I imagine there must be some type of standard.
    Last edited by aka23; 04-16-2003 at 08:40 PM.

Fuzz,

The excel spreadsheet program you linked to is great. I like how it does all the calculations for you and prints the results of all the formulas, as well as median/average. The median and average is about what I expect. I will make a modified version of the spreadsheet later this week that depends on 8 skin folds (instead of 10) and uses all but the P-9 forumula. I do not like the P-9 because it requires measures on the lower back and calf. The lower back measure is uncomfortably close to my kidney and my skin is too tight on my calf to get a good measure. In addition, the P-9 is probably the least used of the 8 formulas in the spread sheet.

Today's Training Log

Sleep
    I slept approximately 3.5 hours last night without help from a sleeping aid. I will try to take a nap later today. I also plan to try my prescription sleeping medication for the first time tonight.

EDIT: I took a 2 hour nap. I slept more than I expected. When I woke up the pharmacy had closed, so I will not get a chance to pick up and try my medication until tomorrow. I'll have to stick to over the counter products tonight. In any case, the nap did a world of good. I feel great, and the DOMS in my legs is gone.

Weights
    Push Day
    Dumbbell Flat Press -- 85x6*, 80x8
    Dumbbell Incline Press -- 65x8*, 60x9*
    Dumbbell Military Press -- 55x5*, 50x9*
    Dumbbell Flyes -- 55x8*, 50x10*
    Dumbbell Laterals -- 35x6*, 30x8*
    Skullcrushers -- 105x6*, 100x9*
    Dumbbell Kickbacks -- 40x7*, 35x10*

* = Personal Best, Record number of reps at a given weight

This was a good workout. All sets were personal bests except for the second flat press, which was the same as last week.

Cardio
    Running/Elipctical Trainer, high intensity
    I plan to start on the treadmill at 7.0mph, then increment by 0.5mph every 5 minutes until I reach 5 minutes at 9.0mph. I should end right on the threshold between aerobic and aneroboic exercises. I will then do 30 minutes on the eliptical trainer on a random setting. My legs are still sore from yesterday's leg work, and I am feeling a bit tired. This may interfere with the workout. I will edit this post and report how it goes.

EDIT: I was struggling somewhat in this workout. Performance was average at best.

Diet
    • 3300-3400 calories
    • Meal 1 - Large bowl Shredded Wheat Cereal with skim milk and cut banana, red snapper fillet, a few peanuts
    • Meal 2 - Large bowl black beans mixed with brown rice, sweet potato, small serving chicken breast, orange, a few peanuts
    • Meal 3 - Large bowl oatmeal, chicken breast, brown rice, 1 package green beans, apple, a few peanuts
    • Meal 4 - Large bowl Life Cereal with skim milk, peas, watermelon
    • Snack 2 - Grapes, 1/2 pollock fillet

Supplements
    2g flax oil, 1g fish oil, 1 multivitamin/mineral
    Last edited by aka23; 04-19-2003 at 12:00 AM.

I will make a modified version of the spreadsheet later this week that depends on 8 skin folds (instead of 10) and uses all but the P-9 forumula.
    I have attached the the body fat calculation Excel spreadsheeet with my modfications. I removed the Parillo 9-site formula, the calf measure, and the lower back measure. It now takes 8 inputs -- Chest, Abdomen, Thigh, Triceps, Biceps, Subscapular, Suprailliac, and Axilla. It reports outputs from 7 body fat forumulas -- Jackson-Pollack 7-site, Jackson-Pollock 3-site, Pollock 3-site, Lohman 3-site, ?? 4-site, Forsythe-Sinning 4-site, and the Sloan 2-site. It also reports averages and medians values between the different formulas.

It is my understanding that the two Jackson-Pollock measures are the ones that are most frequently used. They work well for typical adults. They tend to be less accurate with very lean persons, very muscular persons, athletes, obese persons, young persons, old persons, or other special populations. I believe the Lohman formula is popular when measuring children and applies to atheltic persons as well. I think the Forsythe-Sinning equations was developed using athletes. I do not know which equations work best for bodybuilders.

I found it interesting to make small modifications, and see how it effected the various formulas. My body fat nearly dropped in half with the JP formulas, if I changed my age to a teen. Changing skin folds by a few mm can effect the outputs by quite significant amounts in some formulas, but have little/no effect in others.
    Attached Files Attached Files
    Last edited by aka23; 04-17-2003 at 05:32 PM.

Today's Training Log

Sleep
    I slept approximately 6.5 hours last night with help from an over the counter sleeping aid. This is the most that I have slept on a weekday since I started recording this journal.

Weights
    No weight training. I am looking forward to tomorrow's weight session at the gym.

Cardio
    Cycling -- Varying intensities, overall very low intensity, very long duration

Diet
    • ~3300 calories
    • Meal 1 - Nature O's cereal with skim milk, Oatmeal, 1/2 red snapper fillet, a few grapes, a few peanuts
    • Meal 2 - Large bowl black beans mixed with brown rice, sweet potato, red snapper fillet, watermelon, a few peanuts
    • Meal 3 - Large bowl oatmeal, canned tuna, brown rice, 1 package green beans, apple, a few peanuts
    • Meal 4 - Grape Nuts with skim milk, 1 package brussel sprouts, 1 ear corn, watermelon
    • Snack 2 - Apple, 1/2 pollock fillet
    I need to get to the supermarket. I was unable to have my usual breakfast because of no bananas and limited skim milk. After meal 3; I expect to be out of skim milk, out of all meats except canned tuna, and out of all fruits.

Supplements
    1g flax oil, 2g fish oil
    Last edited by aka23; 04-18-2003 at 11:59 PM.

I need to get to the supermarket. I was unable to have my usual breakfast because of no bananas and limited skim milk. After meal 3; I expect to be out of skim milk, out of all meats except canned tuna, and out of all fruits.
    Do you purchase your fish fresh or frozen and how do you prepare it on average (grilling, baking, etc.)? Have you tried the presciption sleep aid yet?

Do you purchase your fish fresh or frozen and how do you prepare it on average (grilling, baking, etc.)? Have you tried the presciption sleep aid yet?
    I usually purchase inexpensive canned or frozen fish. I get tuna for 50 cents per can which works out to under $2 per lb, and I get frozen pollock for $2.00/lb-$2.50/lb. I sometimes buy fresh fish when there is a good sale.

I cook fish and almost all my foods in the microwave. I own three microwaves, so I can simulateneously cook the meat, the oatmeal, and the vegetables in meal 3. I have found that frozen fish comes out particularly well in the microwave, especially when the portion sizes are small.

I was not able to try out my presciption sleeping medication last night because I overslept during my nap. When I woke up the pharmacy was closed. I picked up the medication earlier this evening, and will take it for the first time tonight.
    Last edited by aka23; 04-18-2003 at 11:44 PM.

Today's Training Log

Sleep
    I slept approximately 8.5 hours last night with help from a prescription sleeping aid. It might be more accurate to say I slept 7 hours, then took a 1.5 hour nap after Meal 1. I think this is the largest total since I started recording this log.

Weights
    1/2 Body Day, emphasis on Machines
    Chin-ups -- BWx17
    Seated Bicep Curl Machine -- 85x8*, 80x9*
    Lat Pulldown in front -- 150x7*C
    Lat Pulldown behind neck -- 160x7*
    Compound Row Machine -- 160x7*, 150x10*C
    Leg Curl Machine -- 110x9*, 100x11*
    Hip Adductus (inner thigh) -- 150x15*
    Standing Calf Raise -- 280x10*, 290x8*
    Ab Machine -- 160x19*, 170x9*, 160x15
    Lower Back Extension -- 190x15*

* = Personal Best -- Record number of reps at a given weight
    C = Cheat -- Did not have full range of motion on final one or two reps

This was a good workout. Nearly all the sets were personal bests, and I did well with a lot of record maximum weights. I have been making little progress with the chin-ups in recent weeks. When I do them again on Tuesday, I will try with 20lb of weight added to my BW. The poor progress may also be related to poor warmup. I have noticed that I often have poor performance on which ever exercise I do first. My right leg was trembling again during the lower back machine. The trembling was quite severe, much more so than last week. It also ocurred while stepping out of my car when returning home.

My gym is located across the street from a hospital that performs abortions. Today there was a small group of protesters at all corners of the intersection holding pictures of bloody fetuses similar to the one at http://www.priestsforlife.org/resour...rtedbaby05.jpg

Cardio
    Cycling, medium intensity
    I am not sure if I am going to do cycling at a fixed level or a mixture of hills and fixed level, like last week. I will edit this post and report how it goes.

EDIT: I did a hill program with 60 second intervals, followed by a hill program with 90 second intervals, followed by some cycling at my usual fixed level. Perfomance was very good. The intervals felt much easier than last week.

Diet
    • 3200-3300 calories
    • Meal 1 - Large bowl Shredded Wheat Cereal with skim milk and cut banana, pollock fillet, a few peanuts
    • Meal 2 - Large bowl black beans mixed with brown rice, sweet potato, pollock fillet, grapes, a few peanuts
    • Meal 3 - Large bowl oatmeal, canned tuna, brown rice, 1 package green beans, apple, a few peanuts
    • Meal 4 - Large bowl Grape Nuts with skim milk, succotash, orange
    • Snack 2 - SKIPPED

Supplements
    1g borage oil, 1g flax oil, 1g fish oil
    Last edited by aka23; 04-20-2003 at 12:05 AM.

Do you think performing the bicep curls before lat pulldowns had any affect on your strength in that exercise?

The abortion clinic protest does not sound like something I would want to see, seeing as how that picture was somewhat grotesque. I would assume this is a common occurrence at the clinic?

Do you think performing the bicep curls before lat pulldowns had any affect on your strength in that exercise?
    It may have. My lats would have had more time to recover after the chin-ups, but my biceps may have been worn out. I doubt that the bicep effect was large since I do lat pulldowns with a wide overhand grip. Next week, I will try to do the pulldowns after chin-ups. This seems like a more logical order since they stress similar muscles. You may be wondering why I can do 17 chin-ups, but am struggling to get just 7 pulldowns with my body weight. It probably is related to using a wide grip on the pulldowns and a narrow grip on the chin-ups. I also do not swing my back during the pulldowns (like most guys at the gym do), so it may be a more focussed movement. A third factor is the friction in the older pulldown machine.

The abortion clinic protest does not sound like something I would want to see, seeing as how that picture was somewhat grotesque. I would assume this is a common occurrence at the clinic?
    I also do not like seeing the pictures. I do not feel strongly one way or the other about abortion, but I am bothered when people try to force their opinions on to me. I used to see protestors there almost every weekend. I do not recall seeing them very often this year. Perhaps they spend more time outside during the warmer weather months.
    Last edited by aka23; 04-19-2003 at 09:32 PM.