The Five Biggest Contradictions in Fitness
Latest Article

The Five Biggest Contradictions in Fitness

Itís no secret that when people contradict themselves, it has the effect of making the flaws in their actions or statements seem glaringly obvious. But what about when WE ourselves get caught contradicting ourselves by someone else?

By: Nick Tumminello Added: January 6th, 2014
More Recent Articles
Contrast Training for Size
By: Lee Boyce
An Interview with Marianne Kane of Girls Gone Strong
By: Jordan Syatt
What Supplements Should I be Taking? By: Jay Wainwright
Bench Like a Girl By: Julia Ladewski
Some Thoughts on Building a Big Pull By: Christopher Mason

Facebook Join Facebook Group       Twitter Follow on Twitter       rss Subscribe via RSS
Page 3 of 161 FirstFirst 123451353103 ... LastLast

Thread: Training Log

Dude, if the hippies block the flow of traffic, just run over them.

And if they don't, its your civic duty to either snipe them with a high-powered rifle or spray them with automatic fire.

Its your decision.
    Vin Diesel has a fever.. and the only prescription is more cowbell.

Budiak: That girl I maced
    Budiak: macked
    Budiak: heh maced
    Budiak: I wish

ShmrckPmp5: a good thing people can't fire guns through the computer...your ass would have been shot years ago

Y2A 47: youre smooth as hell
    Y2A 47: thats why you get outta tickets, and into panties

galileo: you're a fucking beast and I hate you
    galileo: hate

assgrabbers are never subtile, they will grabb ass whereever they go,public or not, I know the type, because I am one. - Rock

Nice journal aka23. That spreadsheet is same one that I use. The difference in bf due to age was very unsettling when I first used it.

Me /pwn1ng by Xian Rookie's journal Rookie's Picture Thread

Damn right you will be! We don't mess around down here. Liquor and Steel, that's what we're all about -Casey

ROFL, oh man - I usually wait until I'm on the freeway to do that. What an idiot! -teufy doing what he does best.

You aren't strong enough or pretty enough to train in the evenings with us...better stick to noon workouts with the rest of the geriatrics. - pup

Yeah. I'm a dork. - Teufy

Better yet, "why should anyone's interpretation of divinity govern modern society?" - Twilo

Originally posted by PowerManDL
    Dude, if the hippies block the flow of traffic, just run over them.

And if they don't, its your civic duty to either snipe them with a high-powered rifle or spray them with automatic fire.

Its your decision.
    I have seen videos of protesters blocking cars from entering abortion facilities and shouting rude comments at drivers. The protesters near my gym look more peaceful. I have not seen them block the flow of traffic. They just stand on all four corners of the intersection holding signs. It might be awkward to avoid them, if I was on foot.

Originally posted by rookiebldr
    Nice journal aka23. That spreadsheet is same one that I use. The difference in bf due to age was very unsettling when I first used it.
    Thanks for the compliments of the journal. I also have noticed that four of the formulas have a heavy dependence on age. I have read that in older persons, the age-dependent formulas better account for internal fat stores, while the non-age-dependent formulas better reflect appearance. In younger persons, such as teenagers, the age-dependent formulas often give unrealistically low results. I like how the spreadsheet lets you compare results from several different methods. Once I learn more about which formulas work well for different populations, I will add this into the spreadsheet so that it averages from useful formulas, and ignores the invalid ones.

Today's Training Log

Sleep
    I slept approximately 7 hours last night (slept 6 hours + 1 hour nap after meal 1) with help from my sleeeping medication. I had an interesting dream in which I knew that I was dreaming, I could control over what was happening in the dream for the most part, and I could wake up when I chose. I wonder if this was related to the medication.

Weights
    1/2 Body Push
    Flat Bench Press -- 195x6, 175x8
    Incline Bench Press -- 155x7*, 150x8.5*
    Pec Deck Fly -- 120x7*, 110x8*
    Military Press Machine -- 140x10*, 150x7*
    Lateral Raise Machine -- 100x8*, 95x10*
    Triceps Extension -- 90x7*, 85x10*
    Inclined Leg Press 430x8*, 410x12*
    Leg Extension 125x8*, 120x10*

Bold = Largest weight ever used for given exercise
    * = Personal Best, Record number of reps at a given weight

All the sets were personal bests except for the flat bench press. I will try a different bench press routine next week and will discuss this in more detail in a separate post. This is the first time I have used the military press machine in 3 or 4 weeks. I was surprised that I was able to go so far above my previous maximum.

Cardio
    Running, medium intensity
    I plan to run about 7 miles on the treadmill today. I would like to do this workout on the beach, instead of the treadmill, more often. Perhaps I will try the beach next week. My biggest problems with beach running are I need to finish the workout before sundown; It is crowded at the beach; I may get stranded if something goes wrong; And I dislike the taste of salt in my mouth when runninng.

EDIT: The workout felt easy. My calves were a bit sore.

Diet
    • ~3300 calories
    • Meal 1 - Large bowl Shredded Wheat Cereal with skim milk and cut banana, pollock fillet, a few peanuts
    • Meal 2 - Large bowl black beans mixed with brown rice, sweet potato, pollock fillet, orange, a few peanuts
    • Meal 3 - Large bowl oatmeal, chicken breast, brown rice, 1 package green beans, apple, a few peanuts
    • Meal 4 - Large bowl Life Cereal with skim milk, 1 package peas, cantaloupe
    • Snack 1 - Oatmeal, 1 package broccoli, a few peanuts
    • Snack 2 - Grapes

Supplements
    2g flax oil, 1g fish oil, 1 multivitamin/mineral (no iron)
    Last edited by aka23; 04-27-2003 at 08:46 AM.

Originally posted by aka23

I have seen videos of protesters blocking cars from entering abortion facilities and shouting rude comments at drivers. The protesters near my gym look more peaceful. I have not seen them block the flow of traffic. They just stand on all four corners of the intersection holding signs. It might be awkward to avoid them, if I was on foot.
    Yeah, I hear ya. That's when a good pair of brass knuckles really comes in handy.

You can only punch so many hippies before your knuckles get sore.
    Vin Diesel has a fever.. and the only prescription is more cowbell.

Budiak: That girl I maced
    Budiak: macked
    Budiak: heh maced
    Budiak: I wish

ShmrckPmp5: a good thing people can't fire guns through the computer...your ass would have been shot years ago

Y2A 47: youre smooth as hell
    Y2A 47: thats why you get outta tickets, and into panties

galileo: you're a fucking beast and I hate you
    galileo: hate

assgrabbers are never subtile, they will grabb ass whereever they go,public or not, I know the type, because I am one. - Rock

I will try a different bench press routine next week and will discuss this in more detail in a separate post.
    My flat bench press was awful in today's workout. I made no gains on the first set, and lost a good amount on the second set. I am going to try something different next week that will hopefully result in better gains. I think the two most likely causes of my lack of gains are poor warmup and overtraining.

It seems like I have poor performance on whatever exercise I do first -- both the chin-ups and the bench press. This may occur because my body is not properly warmed up and is not in lifting mode. Some possible alternatives are:

1. Do a warmup set. Starting out at my max weight on a large muscle group is probably a bad idea. I could try doing a warmup set of 135x15 or something similar.

2. I could try doing my legs before the bench press. I seem to gain easily on the legs, and switching the order would allow me to get warmed up and get in lifting mode.

Another possiblity is overtraining. I work most body parts twice a week. This is a heavy schedule, but I have been making good gains on almost all body parts. Perhaps the large muscles used in flat bench require more resting time than others. I might try skipping this exercise and seeing if I get improved perfomance. Some options are:

3. Skip flat dumbbell press on this Thursday's workout. Flat dumbbell press and flat bench press use a similar motion. Three days is not allowing much recovery time from dumbbell to bench press. I can check if I have improved performance in next Sunday's workout.

4. Skip bench press next week and continue with the dumbbell presses on Thursday. I have been improving performance on the dumbbells, but my bench press is not. It might make more sense to take a break from the exercise that is not improving and stick with the exercise that is improving. In addition, my Sunday workout has significantly more sets than my Thursday workout. This would give me a full week of recovery between dumbbell presses. I would not get a chance to test my bench press for improved perfomance for at least two weeks.

I am still undecided about which option(s) is/are the best strategy.
    Last edited by aka23; 04-20-2003 at 05:24 PM.

Weekly Goal Update

Weight -- 164.0lb (+ 1.0lb)

Median Body Fat -- 4.1% (no change)
    Lowest Formula -- 2.6% (JP-3, chest, abdomen, thigh)
    Highest Formula -- 4.8% (L-3, triceps, abdomen, subscapular) & (FS-4, triceps, axilla, abdomen, subscapular)

My goal is to be 170lb and 5% body fat. This week my body weight increased 1.0lb to 164.0lb. I measured my body fat on Tuesday when my skin callipers arrived, and am comparing it to my measurements today. The body fat value listed above is the median value of the seven skin calliper formulas in the spreadsheet I attached to an earlier post. The full results are listed below. There is a current picture attached to this post. The blue light in front of my face is the flash.

Skinfold Measures
    Biceps -- 2 mm
    Triceps -- 2 mm
    Chest -- 3 mm
    Axilla -- 3 mm
    Abdomen -- 4 mm
    Thigh -- 4 mm
    Suprailliac -- 5 mm
    Subscapular -- 8 mm (do not trust this measure, due to awkward location)
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Last edited by aka23; 04-20-2003 at 09:28 PM.

Today's Training Log

Sleep
    I slept approximately 5.5 hours last night with help from an over the counter sleeping aid. When I had trouble sleeping, I tried getting out of bed and doing something relaxing, instead of staying awake in bed. This approach was successful.

Weights
    No weight training. I may do some ab work later tonight. I am looking forward to my pull day tomorrow, and trying weighted chin-ups + barbell shrugs for the first time.

Cardio
    Cycling -- Very low intensity, very long duration

Diet
    • ~3300 calories?
    • Meal 1 - Large bowl Shredded Wheat with skim milk and cut up banana, pollock fillet, a few peanuts
    • Meal 2 - Large bowl black beans mixed with brown rice, sweet potato, small serving chicken breast, orange, a few peanuts
    • Meal 3 - Large bowl oatmeal, chicken breast, brown rice, 1 package green beans, apple, a few peanuts
    • Meal 4 - Grape Nuts with skim milk, 1 package brussel sprouts, 1 ear corn, cantaloupe
    • Snack 2 - SKIPPED

Supplements
    1g flax oil, 2g fish oil

do you have legs?
    Pup, in reference to me: "he's like Budiak...but worse"

Budiak: "Statistically I've gained almost an inch on my arms...but thats just theory, and we know what theory gets us. Thats right. Communism."

BigChaseyChase: "Cutting, there will not be!"

sir millard mulch: "I could probably punch some chick really hard at this point"

Galileo - "Someday maybe I'll be able to use the big boy weights like RG570."

Originally posted by RG570
    do you have legs?
    I took that picture by photographing the reflection in my bathroom mirror. I cut off the bottom of the photo (and my legs) so that my messy bathroom counter would not appear in the photo.

Today's Training Log

Sleep
    I slept approximately 5.5 hours last night without using sleeping aids.

Weights
    Pull Day
    Doorway Width Chin-ups -- BW+20 x 8*, BW+15 x 9
    Handle Grip Chin-ups -- BW+25 x 7*
    Bicep Curl with EZ-curl bar -- 100x7*, 95x9*
    Dumbbell Concentration curls -- 45x7*, 40x11/10* (11 reps right, 10 reps left)
    Dumbbell Rows -- EDIT: WEIGHTS REMOVED DUE TO ERROR: ??x10*, ??x8*
    Upright Rows -- 100x7*, 95x8.5*
    Dumbbell Shrugs -- 184x11* , 194x10*

* = Personal Record, Record number of reps at a given weight or record maximum weight

Nearly all sets were personal bests or record maximum weights. However, most gains were just 1 rep or a couple lbs over last week.

I am trying a new chin-up workout. I am reducing chin-ups to once per week, and will only do weighted chin-ups. I am planning to use a variety of grips. Today I did two sets with a doorway width grip and one set gripping the handles on front. I started using my new extra long dumbbells today. They weight about 2lb more than my regular length handles, which explains the +2lb weights. I miscalculated how much weight I was using during the dumbbell rows. (EDIT: REMOVED) I was wondering why the exercise felt so easy. I know I said I was going to try barbell shrugs, but I did dumbbell shrugs instead to test out my new handles. The new dumbbell handles are easier to grip than my old ones, so I no longer have grip problems on shrugs. I might take a picture of the two handles to make this more clear.

Cardio
    HIIT, long intervals on treadmill
    I plan to do a similar workout out to last week, beginning at 12mph/7mph , then reducing intensity as time goes on. I will edit this post and list the workout in more detail later today.

EDIT: My workout is listed below:
    3 min -- warmup
    1 min -- 6.0mph
    2 intervals -- 60 sec 12.0mph / 60 sec 7.0mph
    2 intervals -- 50 sec 12.0mph / 70 sec 7.0mph
    3 intervals -- 50 sec 11.5mph / 70 sec 7.0mph
    3 intervals -- 50 sec 11.0mph / 70 sec 7.0mph
    3 intervals -- 50 sec 10.5mph / 70 sec 7.0mph
    2 intervals -- 50 sec 10.0mph / 70 sec 7.0mph
    2 min -- 6.0mph
    4 min -- cooldown

This workout felt much easier than it did last week. I was tempted to continue for more intervals and stay at the 11mph interval intensity. I instead decided to do my usual workout because my calves were sore and I wanted to avoid overtraining.

Diet
    • ~3300 calories
    • Meal 1 - Large bowl Shredded Wheat with skim milk and cut up banana, red snapper fillet, a few peanuts
    • Meal 2 - Large bowl black beans mixed with brown rice, sweet potato, small serving chicken breast, banana?
    • Meal 3 - Large bowl oatmeal, chicken breast, brown rice, 1 package green beans, pear
    • Meal 4 - Organic Oat Bran cereal with skim milk, baby lima beans mixed with corn (succotash), cantaloupe
    • Snack 2 - Grapes

Supplements
    1.3g borage oil, 2g flax oil, 2g fish oil

I am just about out of peanuts and can not go to the supermarket until Wednesday. I am substituting EFA supplements for the missing peanuts. When I go to the supermarket, I plan to try a new type of nut or seed.
    Last edited by aka23; 04-29-2003 at 09:08 AM.

On Auto Pilot:******* Huge Alke's Avatar
    nice pics man! Definitely some awesome cuts on you right now.

Workout looks solid, and good luck with those chins!!!! I'm a believer in chins working wonders to improve ones physique, I do them twice a week, once overhand for back and later underhand when I do arms.

Keep up the good work!!!!
    My Journal
    Progress Pic

1RM's
    30MAY03 = 800 Total - Bench 230, Squat 245, Deadlift 325
    22OCT04 = 960 Total - Bench 275, Squat 305, Deadlift 380

Most push-ups in one minute = 102 (BW:195lbs)

Some men see things as they are and say, "Why?" I dream things that never were and say, "Why not?" - George B. Shaw

FOOD is my drug of choice

Kenn,

Thanks for the compliments on the picture. I think that one came out particularly well.

I agree that chin-ups are an excellent compound exercise. I am surprised that so few people at my gym do them. Up until this week, I did chin-ups twice per week. Progress has been slow with this exercise, so I started a new routine this week that involves doing them once per week. I also started using more than my bodyweight by wearing a weighted backpack.
    Last edited by aka23; 04-22-2003 at 09:02 PM.

I just saw your picture, it rocks. Very well done on the cuts. You would definitely have room for a bulk. lol, we are about the same weight, except I have about 10% extra bf.

Me /pwn1ng by Xian Rookie's journal Rookie's Picture Thread

Damn right you will be! We don't mess around down here. Liquor and Steel, that's what we're all about -Casey

ROFL, oh man - I usually wait until I'm on the freeway to do that. What an idiot! -teufy doing what he does best.

You aren't strong enough or pretty enough to train in the evenings with us...better stick to noon workouts with the rest of the geriatrics. - pup

Yeah. I'm a dork. - Teufy

Better yet, "why should anyone's interpretation of divinity govern modern society?" - Twilo

rookiebldr,

Thanks for the kind words. I am trying to do a slow, controlled bulk in which I gain about 0.5lb per week of muscle along with little additional fat. I am hoping to maintain a body fat near 5% throughout the bulk to 170lb. Weight and BF measures during future weeks will indicate how successful I am at these goals.
    Last edited by aka23; 04-23-2003 at 03:36 AM.

Today's Training Log

Sleep
    I slept approximately 1.5 hours (not a misprint) last night without using sleeping aids. This is probably the least amount I have slept in years. I think yesterday's interval training was a prime factor in my insomnia. I had extreme DOMS in my legs and had a very elevated metabolism. In addition, I may have been overtraining.

This amount of sleep is unacceptable. I plan to try to take a nap after work today, and I am going to use my prescription sleeeping medication tonight to increase my chances of a good sleep. I do not feel tired yet, but I have noticed a few odd occurrences that are probably related to my lack of sleep. This includes feeling winded after walking up a flight of stairs and having periods of a couple seconds where I remain stationary and do not think about anything.

EDIT: I took a 2 hour nap and felt great afterwards, resulting in an outstanding cardio performance.

Weights
    Leg/Ab Day
    Squats -- (warmup set), 235x8*, 215x11*
    Forward Lunges -- 110x10*
    Crunches -- BW+5 x 15*, BW+5x15
    Twisting Crunches -- BW+10 x 15*
    Leg Raise Type Exercises -- BW+25 x 15* , several other types and sets

* = Personal Record, Record number of reps at a given weight or record weight at a given number or reps

I increased both the squat and lunges 5lb above my previous max, and tried weighted crunches for the first time in years. I was struggling somewhat with the squats. I put all I had into the final rep of the second set. The lunges felt easy. I also tested a couple reps of well below parallel squats with 205lb to gauge how much weight I could do. I think I will try this style of squats next week. I plan to adjust my split so that I no longer work legs on the morning after interval training.

Cardio
    Cycling, moderate intensity
    I plan to do stationary cycling at a constant level. I will update this message later today and report how it went.

EDIT: I broke my distance (performance) record in this workout, while keeping my heart rate in the usual range. I think my increased leg strength is benefiting my cycling.

Diet
    • 3400-3500 calories
    • Meal 1 - Large bowl Shredded wheat with skim milk, red snapper fillet, small banana, a few peanuts
    • Meal 2 - Large bowl black beans mixed with brown rice, sweet potato, small chicken breast, orange
    • Meal 3 - Large bowl oatmeal, chicken breast, brown rice, 1 package green beans, pear, a few peanuts
    • Meal 4 - Grape Nuts with skim milk, baby lima beans mixed with corn (succotash), cantaloupe
    • Snack 2 - Oatmeal, red snapper fillet
    • Snack 3 - Banana
    I expect there to be more snacks and more calories than usual because I was awake for a longer portion of the day.

Supplements
    1.3g borage oil, 2g flax oil, 2g fish oil

I increased the EFA's to make up for the missing peanuts. I am out of nuts, and plan to pick up some at Henry's later today. I plan to try a new type of nut/seed that I have not eaten before.
    Last edited by aka23; 04-22-2004 at 04:37 PM.

aka23: where do you work? do your sleep problems effect your job at all?

I work as an engineer in digital communications. I spend most of my time solving problems and creating hardware code using computers. I do not interact with customers and for the most part I work by myself.

My sleep problems do not have a large effect on my job because when I have trouble sleeping, I am still alert and my mind is still racing. I have not noticed significant performance problems, although I might be more likely to make errors.

Having said that, today was different, probably because I slept so much less than normal. There was a window between 3:00PM and 4:30PM in which my lack of sleep hit me like a ton of bricks. All of a sudden I felt very tired. It was a challenge to stay focused and even to sit up straight. I came close to going home early, but I instead decided to stick it out. At about 4:30, I felt wide awake and alert again.
    Last edited by aka23; 04-23-2003 at 11:55 PM.

nice job with the workout and all of the PR's!

about the being tired issue, the same thing sometimes happens to me while im in school. there could be a period of an hour or so where i am totally out-of-it, and could fall asleep at any moment, but then suddenly just sort of snap out of it and im wide-awake with loads of energy again. I dunno, maybe school/work just has that effect on people.
    "Eat until it hurts dammit! Then eat more. Youll get used to it. I think its like sex for a chick. Sure it hurts the first time, but after a couple rides it just goes in like a glove." -clvmike19

"... chicks are like smarties. They're different colors but each share the same deliciousness. Its just a matter of deciding if you'll save the red ones for last or eat a bunch of different ones in the same handful." -wibble

aka: Have you thought of reducing your activity level and seeing if that helps your sleep? Insomnia is a classic symptom of overtraining.

Originally posted by fuzz
    aka: Have you thought of reducing your activity level and seeing if that helps your sleep? Insomnia is a classic symptom of overtraining.
    My training may be related to my sleeping problems, especially since I do cardio in the evening. However, I am only displaying 1 of the 10 signs of overtraining listed in the article at http://www.nadia-alterio-lemmon.com/...-training.html . I have been making personal bests on almost all of my sets when lifting, and my cardio performance has been making good improvements as well.

I really love to workout. Most people probably look forward to taking a break on their rest days. I hate having to take days off. On my days off, I am looking forward to tomorrow's workout. I would lift every day and increase my cardio to greater intensities/durations, if my body could handle it. I would rather have an increased risk of sleeping difficulties than cut back on my training. If I do display more symptoms of overtraining or if my performance no longer improves, then I will cut back on my training.
    Last edited by aka23; 04-24-2003 at 09:44 AM.

Originally posted by GhettoSmurf
    nice job with the workout and all of the PR's!

about the being tired issue, the same thing sometimes happens to me while im in school. there could be a period of an hour or so where i am totally out-of-it, and could fall asleep at any moment, but then suddenly just sort of snap out of it and im wide-awake with loads of energy again. I dunno, maybe school/work just has that effect on people.
    Thanks for the compliments on the PR's. I have also sometimes felt tired during classes at school/college. For me, it was closely related to me finding the classes boring. In some cases diet can also be related. The lethargic feeling that often follows large meals or meals that contain a lot of high GI carbs can make people feel sleepy. I almost never have this problem at work. Yesterday was a special case because I slept such a small amount.
    Last edited by aka23; 04-24-2003 at 11:13 AM.

Today's Training Log

Sleep
    I slept approximately 5.5 hours last night using Restoril (prescription sleeping aid).

EDIT: I took a 1 hour nap after meal 3, so my total sleep for the day is 6.5 hours.

Weights
    Push Day
    Dumbbell Flat Press -- (warmup), 85x7*, 80x9*
    Dumbbell Incline Press -- 70x5*, 65x9*
    Dumbbell Flyes -- 60x7*, 55x10*
    Dumbbell Military Press -- 55x7*, 50x10*
    Dumbbell Laterals -- 35x8*, 30x10*
    Skullcrushers -- 105x8*, 100x10*
    Dumbbell Kickbacks -- 45x6*, 40x9*

* = Personal Best, Record number of reps at a given weight

I feel good about this workout. All sets were personal bests except for the warmup DB press. Most sets were 2 reps above last week or record maximums. The DB presses are lagging a bit behind. The flat DB was one rep above last week on both sets.

It was convenient to have the first five exercises all use dumbbells and decending weights. This saved time changing weights between exercises. Even so, this workout took more than an hour to do 15 sets. I may be resting for too long between sets. My pecs and arms were trembling a bit by the last set.

Cardio
    Running/Elipctical Trainer, high intensity
    I plan to start on the treadmill at 7.0mph, then increment by 0.5mph every 5 minutes until I reach 5 minutes at 9.0mph. I should end right on the threshold between aerobic and aneroboic exercises. I will then do 30 minutes on the eliptical trainer on a random setting. I am going to try out my new HR monitor on this workout. I will edit this post and report how it goes.

EDIT: Performance was excellent during the running portion. 9.0 mph feels much easier than it used to, probably because of my HIIT training. I think I will up the range to end at 9.5mph next week. The eliptical trainer portion was within 2% of my distance record.

Diet
    • 3300-3400 calories
    • Meal 1 - Large bowl Shredded Wheat Cereal with skim milk and cut banana, red snapper fillet, a few peanuts
    • Meal 2 - Large bowl black beans mixed with brown rice, sweet potato, small serving chicken breast, grapes, a few peanuts
    • Meal 4 - Large bowl Life Cereal with skim milk, peas, cantaloupe
    • Snack 1 - Oatmeal, 1 package broccoli, a few peanuts/walnut
    • Snack 2 - Grapes/orange, 1/2 snapper fillet
    I tried out a walnut for the first time during snack 1. It was one of the most horrible tasting things I can remember eating. Perhaps it would taste better cooked, or maybe I was eating the wrong part. I just cracked open a raw nut and ate the black part.

Supplements
    2g flax oil, 1g fish oil, 1 multivitamin/mineral (no iron)
    Last edited by aka23; 04-19-2004 at 03:10 PM.

I received my Ultima Heart Rate monitor today and just tried it out for the first time. I must have looked odd at the gym wearing the Ultima HR watch on my left hand, a wrist remote watch for the TV on my right hand, and a radio around my bicep.

The Ultima is an outstanding product. It can store 1600 heart rate samples at recording intervals varying from 5 seconds to 2 minutes. There are lots of feature that I am trying out, such as interval training modes, alarms when HR is outside of desired range, and PC downloads + HR analysis. There is a picture of the watch portion below:

I uploaded a graph of my HR in today's cardio workout and have attached it to the post. The first 30 minutes of the workout has many points that do not fit with the desired HR. The reason for this is that I had the chest band on too loosely, so it bounced around when I was running and caused poor readings. Next time I will set it to record the average over longer recording periods to avoid this problem. I only had it set for recordings every 5 seconds during this workout. I may also use the chest strap gel to improve readings. Even with the poor readings, you can see the general trend of a rising HR as I increased speed on the treadmill. I am not sure why my HR was so high between 4 min and 8 min. It may have to do with not being properly warmed up. The HR looks steady for the second half of the workout because I was on the eliptical trainer and the chest band was no longer bouncing around. The dip in heart rate between the first and second half occurred because I was switching machines from the treadmill to the eliptical trainer.

I plan to use this monitor in all my cardio workouts for the next week and some of weight workouts too. It is also should interesting to record my heart rate at other times during the day, such as while sleeping or eating.
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Last edited by aka23; 04-25-2003 at 08:26 AM.