Page 4 of 161 FirstFirst ... 234561454104 ... LastLast

Thread: Training Log

Today's Training Log

Sleep
    I slept approximately 4.5 hours last night using Restoril (prescription sleeping medication). I have found that when I take Restoril, I am much more likely to remember my dreams. I have learned that I have a recurring dream that takes place in college. I woke up several different times during the night. Immediately after waking, I was unsure which was reality since in I was getting out of bed and waking in one of my dreams.

EDIT: I took a 1 hour nap, so my total for the day is 5.5 hours of sleep.

Weights
    No weight today training. I am looking forward to tomorrow's pull day at the gym. I think I am going to try a new order, a different type of row, and maybe try SL deadlifts for the first time. I have never seen anyone do SL deadlifts at my gym before, so I am concerned that I may stand out.

Cardio
    Cycling -- Very low intensity, very long duration

EDIT: I had a chance to use my heart rate monitor during this exercise. I was suprised just how low intesity this exercise was. My average HR was under 100 and my max HR for the exercise was only ~120.

Diet
    • 3200-3300 calories
    • Meal 1 - Large bowl Shredded Wheat with skim milk and cut up banana, pollock fillet, a few peanuts
    • Meal 2 - Large bowl black beans mixed with brown rice, sweet potato, small serving chicken breast, grapes, a few peanuts
    • Meal 3 - Large bowl oatmeal, chicken breast, brown rice, 1 package green beans, apple, a few peanuts
    • Meal 4 - Grape Nuts with skim milk, 1 package brussel sprouts, 1 ear corn, cantaloupe
    • Snack 1 - Oatmeal, 1 package broccoli, a few peanuts
    • Snack 2 - SKIPPED

Supplements
    1.3g borage oil, 1g flax oil, 1g fish oil
    Last edited by aka23; 04-25-2003 at 11:28 PM.

Originally posted by aka23
    I have never seen anyone do SL deadlifts at my gym before, so I am concerned that I may stand out.

And what, sir, is wrong with that?
    You can't babysit this.

Dude, totally stand out.

And if anybody looks at you funny, punch them in the ****ing face.
    Vin Diesel has a fever.. and the only prescription is more cowbell.

Budiak: That girl I maced
    Budiak: macked
    Budiak: heh maced
    Budiak: I wish

ShmrckPmp5: a good thing people can't fire guns through the computer...your ass would have been shot years ago

Y2A 47: youre smooth as hell
    Y2A 47: thats why you get outta tickets, and into panties

galileo: you're a fucking beast and I hate you
    galileo: hate

assgrabbers are never subtile, they will grabb ass whereever they go,public or not, I know the type, because I am one. - Rock

I get stared at all the time. At first I thought it was my unimaginably good looks but then I looked in the mirror and realized that wasn't it.

The stuff that works is a bit "unorthodox" to today's so-called trainers. If you do stand out it'll be a good thing. Maybe you can spread the knowledge of old school goodness to those that are less fortunate.
    What is elite?
    "Those who work the hardest often complain the least." -anonymous
    Pain is inevitable. Suffering is optional.

Originally posted by PowerManDL
    Dude, totally stand out.

Yeah. That's what I do, too., PMan.

HY prefers a shot to the face with a 45, though.

Each to his own.
    You can't babysit this.

Its five-knuckle justice for me, baby.

ShmrckPmp5: a good thing people can't fire guns through the computer...your ass would have been shot years ago

assgrabbers are never subtile, they will grabb ass whereever they go,public or not, I know the type, because I am one. - Rock

A roll of quarters tucked in there can add a little bit too.
    What is elite?
    "Those who work the hardest often complain the least." -anonymous
    Pain is inevitable. Suffering is optional.

I prefer fully automatic lead justice, myself.

But then, I'm a girl.
    You can't babysit this.

Well yeah, but if I brought the Bushmaster in the gym with me, I'd *really* get stared at.

But the dildos would stay out of your way.
    You can't babysit this.

Originally posted by carolinagirl
    And what, sir, is wrong with that?
    Dude, totally stand out.

I am uncomfortable being the center of attention with all eyes focused on me. Oral presentations were a nightmare for me in school. That same attitude sometimes carries over to my workouts in the gym.

In any case, you have convinced me. I am going to try SLDL's tommorow. This will be my first time doing any sort of deadlift exercise. I won't be punching anyone in the face, but I might end up ignoring some people.

nah, dont worry about what other people think about you doing SLDL's. think of it this way, maybe other people will start DOING them! and then you would be considered the man who brought SLDL's to your gym!
    "Eat until it hurts dammit! Then eat more. Youll get used to it. I think its like sex for a chick. Sure it hurts the first time, but after a couple rides it just goes in like a glove." -clvmike19

"... chicks are like smarties. They're different colors but each share the same deliciousness. Its just a matter of deciding if you'll save the red ones for last or eat a bunch of different ones in the same handful." -wibble

nah, dont worry about what other people think about you doing SLDL's. think of it this way, maybe other people will start DOING them! and then you would be considered the man who brought SLDL's to your gym!
    GhettoSmurf is right there, others will start doing them too. I know how you feel though about others looking and stuff like that. Just go for it and ignore the others, good luck with your goals!

Dude, its totally different than an oral presentation. I hate that **** to, but its a different ballgame when you're /pwning all the gym-losers.

/PWN!!!!

Today's Training Log

Sleep
    I slept approximately 6 hours last night, then took a 2.5 hour nap after Meal 1. I used a generic OTC sleeping aid similar to Unisol. The active ingredient was 25mg doxylamine succinate.

Weights
    1/2 Body Pull Day
    WG Front Lat Pulldown -- 160x6*
    WG Rear Lat Pulldown -- 170x6*, 160x9*
    Compound Row -- 170x6*, 160x8.5*
    Hammer Low Row -- 110x13*, 130x8*
    Bicep Curl Machine -- 90x8*, 85x9*
    Straight Leg Deadlift -- 155x13N, 205x4.5N
    Leg Curl -- 120x5*, 110x9
    Standing Calf Raise -- 300x9*
    Hip Adductus (inner thigh) -- 160x15*
    Ab Machine -- 180x10*, 170x13*, 160x20*

Bold = Largest weight ever used for given exercise
    * = Personal Best -- Record number of reps at a given weight
    N = New Exercise -- No basis for personal best comparison

I am very happy with my performance in this workout. Nearly all sets were personal bests or record maximums. I had excellent gains on everything but the leg curl. I added 30lb to my max for the low row, 5lb to my max on the bicep curl, and 10lb to my max on everything else except for the SLDL, which was a new exercise. I removed the chin-ups from this workout since I was making little progress. I will now only do weighted chin-ups on Tuesday's workout.

This was the first time I have used the low row machine in about a month, so I am surprised I had such good gains. I guess I have been building the back muscles used in the low row through other exercises. Staring was not a problem during the SLDL. I had no idea how much weight to use, which explains why I did 13 and 4.5 reps. My lower back was the limiting factor during this exercise. I think this exercise took a lot out of me and caused poor performance during the leg curl. I had no gains on the second set. My calfs were quite sore after the leg curl, so I only did one set on the standing calf raise machine.

I became somewhat annoyed while waiting for the bicep curl machine. The guy using it did at least 4 sets of 20 with an odd form, and he stopped for a long conversation between one of the sets. I ended up working in, between his sets.

Cardio
    Cycling, medium intensity
    I plan to do two hill programs (interval training) followed by some cycling at a fixed level. I am going to use my HR monitor during this exercise. It should be interesting to see how high my HR gets during the hills. I will edit this post and report how it goes.

EDIT: Perfomance was good during this workout. It felt significantly easier than last week.

Diet
    • ~3400 calories
    • Meal 1 - Large bowl Shredded Wheat Cereal with skim milk and cut banana, red snapper fillet, a few peanuts
    • Meal 2 - Large bowl black beans mixed with brown rice, sweet potato, small serving chicken breast, grapes, a few peanuts
    • Meal 3 - Large bowl oatmeal, chicken breast, brown rice, 1 package green beans, apple, a few peanuts
    • Meal 4 - Large bowl Grape Nuts with skim milk, succotash, orange
    • Snack 2 - Leftover fruit

Supplements
    1g flax oil, 2g fish oil
    Last edited by aka23; 04-27-2003 at 12:00 AM.

i see you tried the SLDL's, how'd it go?
    "Eat until it hurts dammit! Then eat more. Youll get used to it. I think its like sex for a chick. Sure it hurts the first time, but after a couple rides it just goes in like a glove." -clvmike19

"... chicks are like smarties. They're different colors but each share the same deliciousness. Its just a matter of deciding if you'll save the red ones for last or eat a bunch of different ones in the same handful." -wibble

Originally posted by GhettoSmurf
    i see you tried the SLDL's, how'd it go?
    All things considered, it went well. I found it a bit awkward to slide the weights on and off the bar while it was resting on the floor. I was aiming for a set of about 8 reps and instead did one at 13 reps and one at 4.5 reps. Next time around I will have a better idea of how much weight to use. I think I will substitute the lower back machine + leg curls next week and only do SLDLs once or twice per month.

My concerns about being stared at were unwarranted. If people were staring at me, I did not notice. I instead focused on lifting the weights. You may have been right about people imitating me and starting to do SLDLs. Less than 20 minutes after I finished, a trainer was showing a girl how to do something similar to SLDLs in which a bar with no weights was lowered down to the knees and back up. This looked similar to the poor form I was using at the end of the second set. It may have just been a coincidence, or the trainer may have become inspired to suggest these after seeing me do SLDLs.
    Last edited by aka23; 04-26-2003 at 05:45 PM.

Originally posted by bradley
    Do you think performing the bicep curls before lat pulldowns had any affect on your strength in that exercise?
    Your comment inspired me to change the order of exercises in today's workout so that back occurred before biceps. The order did not appear to have a large effect on gains. I made roughly the same gains on both exercises. I think I will continue with this order next week.

I have attached a graph of my heart rate from today's cardio:

The first 21 minutes is a hill program on the cycling machine with 90 second intervals. The intervals were all the same level, but each interval had a higher peak heart rate, and a higher recovery heart rate. The highest one peaks at about 165.

The next 13 minutes is another hill program with 60 second intervals. Again my peak HR increases with each interval. The highest one peaks at about 163.

The rest of the time is stationary cycling at a fixed level. My heart remained near 140.

I think my max HR is in the low 190s. During HIIT on the treadmill, my HR reaches much higher levels, perhaps the low 180s. I cannot get my HR much above 170 on a stationary cycle.
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Last edited by aka23; 04-26-2003 at 11:52 PM.

Hey playa, I never take SL's to the floor. Its called "Keystone" style, where you flex your ass and hammies and let the bar go a little past your knees. Keep that back rounded and that chest out.

That's how I do 'em. With 425.

Hey playa, I never take SL's to the floor. Its called "Keystone" style, where you flex your ass and hammies and let the bar go a little past your knees. Keep that back rounded and that chest out.

That's how I do 'em. With 425.
    Thanks for the tips. I was trying to do them like shown in the picture below, which I found on exrx.net. I took them just short of the floor on the first set, and took them a little past my knees during the later portion of the second set. I was hoping to get a good hamstring workout, along with my lower back. However, I felt like my lower back was the limiting factor, and I did not feel it much in my hamstrings.

Last edited by aka23; 04-27-2003 at 08:36 AM.

Today's Training Log

Sleep
    I slept approximately 6 hours last night, then took a 1.5 hour nap after Meal 1. I used the same OTC sleeping aid as last night. I am switching between the OTC and prescription sleeping aids to avoid adaption and rebound effects.

Weights
    1/2 Body Push
    Incline Bench Press -- Warmup Set, 160x7*, 150x10*
    Pec Deck Fly -- 130x5*, 120x7.5*
    Military Press Machine -- 160x7*, 150x10*
    Lateral Raise Machine -- 105x8*, 100x10*
    Triceps Press -- 95x5*, 90x8*
    Incline Leg Press -- 440x8*, 420x12*
    Leg Extension -- 130x8*, 125x10*

Bold = Largest weight ever used for given exercise
    * = Personal Best, Record number of reps at a given weight

All the sets were personal bests or record maximums except for the warmup. I added 10lb to my maximum for the Pec Deck Fly, the Military Press Machine, and the Incline Leg Press. I added 5lb to my maximum on the others. I feel like I had excellent gains on the shoulder exercises. The Pec Deck Fly and Triceps Press seem to be lagging behind. I had to lower my reps in these exercise to sustain the extra weight.

I planned to do a barbell military press during this workout. The station was busy for a long period, so I used the military press machine, like last week. I removed the flat bench press from this workout since I made no gains last week. I am now only going to do flat press once per week, on Thursdays. One week I will do dumbbell press, and the next week I will do bench press.

Cardio
    Running, medium intensity
    I plan to run about 7 miles on the treadmill today. I plan to go at a slightly higher speed than usual. I will edit this post and report how it goes.

EDIT: The workout felt easy. My heart rate remained in the 140's throughout the exercise.

I had some pain under my knee in the area that is assoicated with Osgood-Shlatter Disease before the workout. I iced the area for about a 1/2 hour shortly before running. I did not feel any pain while running and have not felt any pain since then.

Diet
    • 3300-3400 calories
    • Meal 1 - Large Bowl Nature O's cereal with skim milk, small serving chicken breast, a few peanuts
    • Meal 3 - Large bowl oatmeal, chicken breast, brown rice, 1 package green beans, banana, a few peanuts
    • Meal 4 - Large bowl Life Cereal with skim milk, 1 package peas, cantaloupe
    • Snack 2 - Pear

Supplements
    1.3g borage oil, 1g flax oil, 1g fish oil, 1 multivitamin/mineral (no iron)
    Last edited by aka23; 04-28-2003 at 12:14 AM.

wow great job with the workout!

how has the sleep been?

Banned
    Wow, and I thought I ate pretty much the same stuff everyday! I don't think it's healthy to have such a limited diet. Why don't you try throwing in some red meat or eggs in there once in a while?

Originally posted by Vido
    Wow, and I thought I ate pretty much the same stuff everyday! I don't think it's healthy to have such a limited diet. Why don't you try throwing in some red meat or eggs in there once in a while?
    You are correct that my diet is rather consistent. I eat roughly the same meals day after day. On most days, I eat both fish and poultry. I am only eating chicken breast today because I have a good amount that is about to expire.

In a typical week I eat the following foods listed at the bottom of this post. There are several other foods that I eat on an occasional basis, such as salmon and turkey. I think this is enough variety to meet my nutritional needs. According to fitday.com , I averaged more than 150% of my RDA for all the vitamins and minerals they measure (not including vitamin/mineral supplements) over the past month. I plan to add some new healthy fat sources to my diet in future weeks.

I do not eat eggs because the smell bothers me, and I do not like the taste. I have not eaten beef in many years. I used to avoid it because of the fat content and because it does not prepare well in the microwave. Now I mostly avoid it out of habit. Your post convinced me to try something different this week, and get some beef. My supermarket is having an $1.49/lb sale on top round steak. I purchased about a 1/2 lb earlier today. I will try it on Monday or Tuesday and report how things work out in this journal.

Meats
    Chicken Breast
    Pollock Fillet
    Red Snapper Fillet
    Canned Tuna

Dairy
    Skim Milk

Pulses/Legumes
    Black Beans
    Lima Beans
    Green Peas

Other Vegetables
    Broccoli
    Green Beans
    Brussel Sprouts

Nuts & Seeds
    Peanuts

Fruits
    Banana
    Apple
    Pear
    Grape
    Orange
    Melon

Grains/Starches
    Oatmeal
    Brown Rice
    Sweet Potato
    Corn
    Shredded Wheat
    Grape Nuts
    Life Cereal
    Nature O's Cereal
    Organic Oats Cereal
    Last edited by aka23; 04-27-2003 at 05:14 PM.