The Five Biggest Contradictions in Fitness
Latest Article

The Five Biggest Contradictions in Fitness

It’s no secret that when people contradict themselves, it has the effect of making the flaws in their actions or statements seem glaringly obvious. But what about when WE ourselves get caught contradicting ourselves by someone else?

By: Nick Tumminello Added: January 6th, 2014
More Recent Articles
Contrast Training for Size
By: Lee Boyce
An Interview with Marianne Kane of Girls Gone Strong
By: Jordan Syatt
What Supplements Should I be Taking? By: Jay Wainwright
Bench Like a Girl By: Julia Ladewski
Some Thoughts on Building a Big Pull By: Christopher Mason

Facebook Join Facebook Group       Twitter Follow on Twitter       rss Subscribe via RSS
Page 41 of 161 FirstFirst ... 3139404142435191141 ... LastLast
Results 1,001 to 1,025 of 4025

Thread: Training Log

yo aka23- yo know of any places on the net that sells good quality dipping belts?
    thanks

ybw

Originally posted by Scott S
    That sucks that your new scale has the same problem. It would seem that if it couldn't accurately track small changes, they shouldn't have made it so precise in the first place! I'm sure it's all about marketing.
    I wanted to get a local purchase instead of an online one. Target is the only store I could find in my local area that sells digital scales, and Taylor is the only brand they sell. I suspect that the scale has the ability to track small changes, but the manafactures set it to remember previous values so a user would not see fluctuations if they weighed themselves several times in a row. This makes the scale appear more reliable to the typical user.

I have been avoiding this problem by keeping a set of weights by the scale. If I need an accurate measure, I will hold a Xlb plate while weighing myself, so the scale thinks I am a new person, then subtract the weight of the plate. Using this method, I have been able to measure fluctuations as small as drinking a glass of water. I have confirmed these fluctuations are accurate comparing the weight of the water on a dietary scale.

This makes accurate weighing awkward. At least is is better than the first mode since I do not have top tap the scale before measuring to get it to calibrate to zero. Perhaps in the future, I will break down and mail order a quality scale. I still have 30 days left in which I can return the one from Target.
    Last edited by aka23; 08-15-2003 at 09:09 AM.

Hey Aka,Just thought I'd drop in and see how your feeling man? Better I hope.

Originally posted by YoBrickWall
    yo aka23- yo know of any places on the net that sells good quality dipping belts?
    thanks
    YoBrickWall,

I am surprised that you asked me about dipping belts since I don't do dips and do not use a dipping belt for chins. I do my weighed chins by putting plates in a backback. This approach has worked flawlessly for up to BW+60. Here are some online stores that others have recommended or mentioned for dipping belts:

http://www.newyorkbarbells.com/usa-5621.html (New York Barbells)
    http://www6.mailordercentral.com/iro...tem=8&mitem=10 (Ironmind)
    http://www.bigfitness.com/bigfit/leatherdipbelt.html (Big Fitness)
    http://www.wwfitness.com/liftacc.html (Weightlifter's Warehouse)

I bought my Power Rack from New York Barbells. They have a reputation for quality products at fair prices. Ironmind has a reputation for offering quality products to heavy lifters. They claim their dipping belt can hold up to 1000 pounds.
    Last edited by aka23; 08-15-2003 at 05:33 PM.

Originally posted by Wikked1
    Hey Aka,Just thought I'd drop in and see how your feeling man? Better I hope.
    Wikked1,

Overall, I am feeling better. The bone itself and the area where surgery was done in my upper arm are feeling much better. I am having some problems with the inside of the cast causing painful friction against my lower arm and elbow. I think there is some irritation and/or scars. Some of this friction may be related to dried blood from the surgery. The area is healed now, but I can see that blood from the surgery area previously saturated the padding to the point where it discolored the outside. When my cast is changed on Wednesday, I will know more about what happened.

My appetite is almost up to my usual levels. The main reason I am eating fewer calories is because I am burning fewer calories. My recovery from training seems to be slower than normal, even though I have cut down my training a lot and reduced the intesity.
    Last edited by aka23; 08-15-2003 at 01:19 PM.

the lil engine that could chops's Avatar
    hope you're able to sleep better as the pain\discomfort lessens?

Originally posted by chops
    hope you're able to sleep better as the pain\discomfort lessens?
    My sleep has changed a lot since the accident. I used to consistently sleep on my left side. I could not fall asleep in a sitting position, on my stomach, or on my back. Now that my left arm is in a cast, I can no longer sleep on my left side. The cast also makes it awkward to sleep on my right side. I have not found a position to sleep that is comfortable for me.

Over the past week, my sleep has not improved significantly. I have been averaging under five hours per day. My hours and sleep times are inconsistent and unpredictable. Last night I fell asleep while sitting up and looking at TV for the first time in years. I am waking up later than I used to and feeling more tired during the day. I will probably get more sleep over the weekend since not working will allow to nap during the day
    Last edited by aka23; 08-16-2003 at 03:37 PM.

Wannabebig Member
    Aka, what all do you know about how bodyfat measurements change over the course of the day? I've heard that they are innacurate immediately following exercise, but would like to know why that is, and if the post-exercise measurements would under or overextimate BF.

Hydration levels significantly affect bio-impedence readings, which make "first-thing-in the-morning" or post-exercise tests innacurate (because one tends to be dehydrated during these times). However, I've also heard that SKINFOLD readings can vary immediately following exercise. Ever heard of this?

Originally posted by ebrunner
    Aka, what all do you know about how bodyfat measurements change over the course of the day? I've heard that they are innacurate immediately following exercise, but would like to know why that is, and if the post-exercise measurements would under or overextimate BF.

Hydration levels significantly affect bio-impedence readings, which make "first-thing-in the-morning" or post-exercise tests innacurate (because one tends to be dehydrated during these times). However, I've also heard that SKINFOLD readings can vary immediately following exercise. Ever heard of this?
    ebrunner,

Both bio-impedence and skinfold measures vary with hydration, but bio-impedence varies by a much greater amount. The measures tend to be lowest in the morning and higher in the evening, just as the body tends to retain less water in the morning. The article at http://www.drlenkravitz.com/Articles/bodycomp.html, which is quoted below, suggests that skinfold measurements are likely to be higher immediately after exercise due to water accumulation in the skin.

"Exercise also increases the extracellular water accumulation in the subcutaneous tissue and thus will increase skinfold thickness. Therefore, SKFs should not be measured immediately after exercise, especially in warmer environments."

For consistent results, it is best to do measurements at the same time; and to wait several hous after eating, drinking, or exercise.
    Last edited by aka23; 08-15-2003 at 05:30 PM.

Wannabebig Member
    That's exactly what I was looking for. Thanks.

I went to my orthopedic surgeon's office today because of the friction/pain problems I mentioned earlier. They cut off my cast, and took some X-rays. The X-rays looked good, so they removed the surgical staples and let me keep the cast off. My arm looked wrinkled and my cast was filled with dried blood. The doctor said this blood was normal. It looks like there has been noticable atrophy even though it has only been 8 days since the accident. I will still wear a sling during future weeks. I am allowed to fully extend my arm, but I obviously cannot lift weights with my left arm or return to my usual activity level. My next appointment is in two weeks. I begin physical therapy for my left arm at the same time.

The surgical scar is on the top of my arm. There a second, different type of marking on the bottom of my arm. I am not sure what this is, and I do not think the doctor saw it. I have attached a picture to this post.

Getting my cast off left me in a great mood for the rest of the day. Hopefully I will be able to do new activities in the near future. I think I will try smith squats tommorrow. I might use the elliptical trainer on Sunday.
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Last edited by aka23; 08-16-2003 at 12:41 AM.

The X-rays looked good, so they removed the surgical staples and let me keep the cast off. My arm looked wrinkled and my cast was filled with dried blood. The doctor said this blood was normal. It looks like there has been noticable atrophy even though it has only been 8 days since the accident.
    EXCELLENT 8 days? that's awesome dude I was really thinking you were going to be in that cast a minimum of 4 weeks......that's great news!

EXCELLENT 8 days? that's awesome dude I was really thinking you were going to be in that cast a minimum of 4 weeks......that's great news!
    I also thought that the cast would be on for a much longer period. The dr's assistant had previously told me that they were going to "change" my cast during my original appointment, which was 2 weeks after the accident. This suggests that they expected to keep the cast on for more than two weeks. If I assume that they planned to continue with appointments every two weeks, then they expected the cast to be on at least 4 weeks.

It is great to have the cast off. My arm feels so much more comfortable without carrying the heavy, bulky cast. In addition, it is helpful to be able to use my left arm for light daily activites, such as ripping a paper towel or tying a shoe. I also like being able to shower without restrictions and wash my arm.

In Cast Training Log
    This is an old training log from before my cast was removed.

Sleep
    My total sleep for the day was about 4 hours using 25 mg doxylamine succinate (OTC sleeping aid).

Weights, Legs & Abs
    • Incline Leg Press – 360x15, 450x10, 540x8, 630x8, 660x8
      I usually do a single warmup set, then jump to my PR+20. I was not sure how my cast would interfere with this exercise, so instead I incremented the weight slowly. The blood pressure built up to painful levels in my arm during some of the heavy sets, forcing me to elevate my arm over my head while pressing. Next week I will look for a substitute exercise that allows me to keep my arms above my feet.

My PR is 670x8. I probably could have exceeded my PR if I did fewer warmup sets..
    • Leg Extension – 210->200x8, 190x10
      I started out at 210, which was 5lb above my PR. This was clearly too much weight, so I had to drop down to 200lb. I am unsure if this was too much weight because I was worn out by leg presses, because I could not hold the left handle of the machine and was rising out of the seat, or because of my injury.
    • Lying Leg Curl - 130x8, 120x10
      My PR is 140. This is roughly the same performance as last week.
    • Standing Calf Raise Machine – Stack+30 (430)x16
      This is 4 reps below last week.
    • Seated Calf Raises – 195x8
      I dropped down the weight to 5lb below my PR.
    • Lower Back Extension – 340x15
      This is 10lb above last week, but below my PR.
    • Inner Thigh Machine – Stack+10 (200)x14
      This is 10lb below my PR.
    • Ab Machine - 230x15, Stack(240)x8, Stack(240)x10
    Bold = Largest weight ever used for given exercise
    (+X lb) = Personal Best -- added X lbs to record maximum
    (+X R) = Personal Best -- added X reps to max at given weight

General Comments
    This was a terrible workout. I had no gains on every exercise. It is unclear if the losses were related to my injury, strength losses, the extra sets on the leg press, or other reasons. I hope my performance improves next week. I may edit some of the weights/reps after I pick up my training notebook from work.

Cardio
    Cycling, medium intensity
    Performance was poor. My HR was ~10% above normal (75-80%MHR), and I was ~1% below my distance record.

Diet
    • 3200-3300 calories
    • Snack 1 - Oatmeal, 1 package broccoli, 1-2 oz chicken breast, a few peanuts
    • Meal 1 - Large bowl oatmeal, chicken breast, brown rice, apple, 1 package green beans, a few peanuts
    • Meal 2 – Large bowl Grape Nuts with skim milk, succotash, cantaloupe
    • Meal 3 - Large bowl black beans mixed with brown rice, sweet potato, small serving chicken breast, a few peanuts
    • Meal 4 – Shredded Wheat with cut-up banana & skim milk, small serving chicken breast
    This is the most calories I have eaten since the accident, but I am still about 400 calories too low.

Supplements
    1g flax oil, 3g fish oil
    Last edited by aka23; 08-16-2003 at 07:18 PM.

That mark looks like bad bruising, but I really can't tell for sure.
    Vin Diesel has a fever.. and the only prescription is more cowbell.

Budiak: That girl I maced
    Budiak: macked
    Budiak: heh maced
    Budiak: I wish

ShmrckPmp5: a good thing people can't fire guns through the computer...your ass would have been shot years ago

Y2A 47: youre smooth as hell
    Y2A 47: thats why you get outta tickets, and into panties

galileo: you're a fucking beast and I hate you
    galileo: hate

assgrabbers are never subtile, they will grabb ass whereever they go,public or not, I know the type, because I am one. - Rock

Originally posted by PowerManDL
    That mark looks like bad bruising, but I really can't tell for sure.
    Yes, it does resemble a bruise. There is also some swelling in the surrounding areas that have a yellow color. I wonder when this marking and skin discoloration first appeared. I do not think they were there on the day of my injury, and I first noticed them when the cast came off. There are also swolen areas with a yellowish color on the bottom of my lower arm. I first felt the pain associated with the swelling/yellow areas on my lower arm 6-7 days after the accident and surgery. I think these areas were causing the majority of the pain while wearing the cast, not friction as I had guessed earlier.
    Last edited by aka23; 08-16-2003 at 07:43 PM.

In Cast Training Log

Sleep
    I slept approximately 4 hours using 10mg Ambien and 25mg Restoril, then took a 1.5 hour nap after Meal 3.

Weights, Push day
    • Hammer Strength Flat Press – 2plates+25 per side x 5 (+15lb ps), 2p+15 x 8
      I am not counting any of the lifts done last time as PRs since I am unsure of the exact reps/weights. Before that day, I had not used this machine since 5/4 . It is good that my strength has noticeably improved since then.
    • Hammer Strength Incline Press – 2plates+15 per side x 5, 2p+15 x 4.5
      My PR is 2plates+15 (105lb) x 8. I set this before my injury while doing incline press as my first chest exercise.
    • Hammer Strength Decline Press – 2plates+35 per side x 6.5 (New), 2p+30 x 6.5
      Ignoring last workout, I have not used this machine in over a year.
    • Hammer Strength Military Press – 1plate+25 per side x 8 (New), 1p+30 x 5 (+5lb ps)
      I am not able to lift as much on the HS machine as on the military press machine that I usually use. A few weeks ago, I was doing sets with the 250lb stack.
    • One-armed Dumbbell Front Raises -- 35x8, 35x7
      This is a huge drop from before I was wearing a cast.
    • One-armed Triceps Machine – 60x8 (New), 65x7 (+5lb)
      I am calling this a new exercise because using a single arm is significantly different from using both. My PR using both arms is 130x9.
    • One-armed Triceps Pushdown (using cables) – 80x9 (New), 100x6 (+20lb)
      I find this motion awkward. I think I will use a substitute cable exercise next time. .

Cardio
    None. I plan to do intervals on the cycling machine tomorrow.

Diet
    • ~3100 calories
    • Snack 1 - Oatmeal, 1 package broccoli, 1-2 oz chicken breast, a few peanuts
    • Meal 1 – Nature O’s cereal with skim milk, small serving pollock fillet
    • Meal 2 – Large bowl black beans mixed with brown rice, sweet potato, small serving pollock fillet, a few peanuts
    • Meal 3 - Large bowl oatmeal, chicken breast, brown rice, 1 package green beans, apple
    • Meal 4 - Shredded Wheat with skim milk and cut-up banana, small serving snapper fillrt
    My calories are too low again today.

Supplements
    1g flax oil, 3g fish oil, 1 multivitamin/mineral (no iron)
    Last edited by aka23; 08-17-2003 at 07:45 PM.

You are a MACHINE dude.....training with the cast an all....nice job hope you're feeling better each day!

You are a MACHINE dude.....training with the cast an all....nice job hope you're feeling better each day!
    I have not had one day without cardio or weights since I got out of the hospital. However, I have cut down on my activity a lot. During the week in which I was at home with the cast, I did 5 days of weight training and 3 days of cardio. 5 days of weight training per week is normal for me, but 3 days of cardio is about half of normal. I eliminated all weight-bearing cardio (running, elliptical trainer) and elminated all weight training involving my left arm.

My arm has been feeling much better since the cast came off on Friday. I am gaining mobility and function in my left arm at a rapid rate. I now feel comfortable holding light objects, such as a bowl of cereal, with my left arm. I am looking forward to beginning physical therapy later this month.
    Last edited by aka23; 08-17-2003 at 03:44 PM.

In Cast Training Log

Sleep
    I slept approximately 4 hours using 10mg Ambien and 25mg Restoril, then took a 1.5 hour nap after Meal 3.

Weights, Rest day
    I am still feeling a lot of muscle soreness from my leg workout. My recovery seems to be slower than normal since the injury.

Cardio
    Cycling, Intervals
    This is the first time I have done intervals since the injury. I started with a 90-sec interval program at my usual level. Next I did a 60-sec interval program, at the max level of my Vision Fitness cycling machine. This is about 10% shorter than my usual second interval. Next I did a ~52-sec interval program and 45-sev interval program at the same max level. I finished off with a few minutes of cycling at a constant level. My performance was a bit weaker than usual.

Diet
    • ~3500 calories
    • Snack 1 - Oatmeal, 1 package broccoli, ~2 oz pollock fillet, a few peanuts
    • Snack 2 - Oatmeal, 1-2 oz pollock fillet, a few peanuts
    • Meal 1 – Nature O’s cereal with skim milk, small serving chicken breast
    • Snack 3 - Peach
    • Meal 2 – Large bowl black beans mixed with brown rice, sweet potato, small serving snapper fillet, a few peanuts
    • Snack 4 - Banana
    • Meal 3 - Large bowl oatmeal, chicken breast, brown rice, 1 package green beans, pear
    • Meal 4 – Grape Nuts with skim milk, succotash, cantaloupe
    This is the most calories I have eaten since the accident.

Supplements
    1g flax oil, 3g fish oil

In Cast Training Log
    This is my final old training log from before my cast was removed.

Sleep

Weights, Pull Day
    • Hammer Strength Low Row - 2plates+25 per side x 6 (+5lb ps), 2p+15 x 8
      I gained 5lb per side over last time. In the future I plan to make 2.5lb ps increments.
    • One-armed LifeCircuit Row – 80(up)/112(down) x 8 (+5lb/7lb), 75(up)/105(down) x 8 (+1R)
      This is the third time I have used this machine. I set eccentric (down) weight at 40% greater than concentric weight (up).
    • One-armed Standing Shrug Machine – 215x8 (+5lb), 200x8
      Several people stared at me while doing these again.
    • One-armed Dual Axis Pulldown, Parallel Grip – 135x8 (+1R), 140x6 (+1R)
      Last time I did 145x5. I cut down the weight to focus on form.
    • Concentration Curls – 45x7, 40x8
      This is a 1 rep gain over last week, but no where near my PR,
    • One-armed Lateral Raise Machine – 90x8 (+5lb), 90x7
      I am now above ½ of my two-armed PR, 170lb. (170lb*1/2 = 85lb).
    • One-armed Rear Lateral Raise Machine - 150x10 +(10lb), 160x6? (+20b)
      I was unable to read how many reps I did on the second set out of my notebook. I am estimating 6 reps. I continue to have remarkable gains on this machine. Next week I hope to reach 180lb.

General Comments
    This is one the best workouts I have had in recent days. There were good improvemants on many exercises.

Cardio
    None. I will do a fixed level cycling session tomorrow.

Diet
    • 3100-3200 calories
    • Snack 1 - Oatmeal, 1 package broccoli, 1-2 snapper fillet, a few peanuts
    • Meal 1 – Nature O’s cereal with skim milk, small serving snapper fillet
    • Snack 2 – 3 plums
    • Meal 2 – Large bowl black beans mixed with brown rice, sweet potato, small serving snapper fillet, a few peanuts
    • Meal 3 - Large bowl oatmeal, canned tuna, brown rice, 1 package green beans, pear, a few peanuts
    • Snack 3 – Banana
    • Meal 4 - Shredded Wheat with skim milk and cut-up banana, small serving snapper fillet
    I did not get enough calories today again. I am aiming for ~3500 calories per day.

Supplements
    1g flax oil, 3g fish oil, 1 multivitamin/mineral (no iron)
    Last edited by aka23; 08-18-2003 at 11:06 AM.

In Arm Sling Training Log
    This is the training from the day my cast was removed.

Sleep
    I slept approximately 4.5 hours using 10mg Ambien and 25mg Restoril. I have not been getting enough sleep lately

Weights, Rest day
    I am starting to get over the muscle soreness from my leg workout. I used to recover more rapidly before the accident.

Cardio
    Cycling, Medium Intensity
    This was a decent workout. I came within 0.5% of my distance record. My pulse was higher than normal, 75-80% MHR.

Diet
    • ~3400 calories
    • Snack 1 - Oatmeal, 1 package broccoli, ~2 oz chicken breast, a few peanuts
    • Snack 2 - Oatmeal, 1-2 oz pollock fillet, a few peanuts
    • Meal 1 – Nature O’s cereal with skim milk, small serving snapper fillet
    • Meal 3 - Large bowl oatmeal, canned tuna, brown rice, 1 package green beans, peach, grapes, a few peanuts
    • Meal 4 – Grape Nuts with skim milk, succotash, cantaloupe

Supplements
    1g flax oil, 3g fish oil
    Last edited by aka23; 08-18-2003 at 10:53 AM.

Weekly Goal Update

Weight – 176.25lb (no change from 2 weeks ago)

Average Body Fat -- 3.7%? (+0.1% from 2 weeks ago)
    Median Body Fat -- 3.7%? (+0.1% from 2 weeks ago)

Lowest Formula -- 2.3% (JP-3, chest, abdomen, thigh)
    Highest Formula -- 4.5% (L-3, abdomen, triceps, subscapular) & (S-2, thigh, subscapular)

My new goal was to be 177lb and 5% body fat or less. I may modify this goal soon. I was expecting to reach my goal last week, shortly after I broke my arm. My 3-6lb cast and limited mobility made measurements difficult and inaccurate, so I am ignoring weight and skinfold measures from last week. My weight is unchanged from 2 weeks ago, and probably down 0.5-1lb from before the accident. Several of my skinfold measures have changed. The median and average of the corresponding bf formulas increased by 0.1%. Note that the bf estimates are based on skinfold formulas. Such formulas often underestimate bf in leaner persons, younger persons, and active persons. My actual bf is probably significantly higher than the formulas predict.

I weighed myself on the Taylor scale that I bought last week. As I mentioned earlier, this scale has problems with making small adjustments. I weighed ~176lb before my workout on Saturday and 176.5lb before my workout on Sunday. I am using an average of these two weights.

My chest skinfold measure decreased by 0.5mm and my abdomen increased by 0.5mm. I think that my subscapular increased by 0.5mm. It was difficult to do this measure because of the limited mobility in my recovering arm. This subscapular measure may not be accurate. I expected my skinfold measures to significantly increase this week because I have been doing less cardio than normal. Fortunately this has not occurred yet.

Skinfold Measures
    Biceps -- 2 mm
    Triceps – 2 mm
    Chest – 2.5 mm (-0.5mm)
    Axilla -- 3 mm
    Abdomen – 3.5 mm (+0.5mm)
    Thigh -- 4 mm
    Suprailiac -- 4 mm
    Subscapular – 7.5 mm? (+0.5mm?)

In previous weeks I used my left hand to take a picture of my right arm and upper body. My limited my mobility in my left arm makes holding a camera awkward, so I did not take pictures this week. I should have enough mobility to take pictures next week.

If things go well, I may take a picture tonight.
    Last edited by aka23; 08-18-2003 at 02:49 PM.

Glad to hear you've got the cast off aka. Hopefully you'll be 100% in no time.

Mik,

Thanks. I am making small improvements every day. Since the cast came off, I have become much more comfortable holding light objects amd partially bending my elbow. I look forward to when I will be able to return to my previous training routine.