Page 5 of 161 FirstFirst ... 345671555105 ... LastLast

Thread: Training Log

Banned
    It's good to hear that you bit and bought some steak. I certainly am not suggesting that you eat foods you don't like, or that you should eat red meat all the time, but once in a while it would surely do more good than harm.

I find it interesting that one of the reasons you don't eat beef is that it doesn't prepare well in the microwave. Quite frankly, no meat, fish, or poultry prepares particularly well in the microwave. I think you should invest in a grill of some sort.

Originally posted by GhettoSmurf
    wow great job with the workout!

how has the sleep been?
    Thanks for the compliments on the workout. Sleep was excellent on Saturday and Sunday. I took good sized naps in the morning and averaged 8 hours sleep (including naps). This longer than normal sleep may have contributed to my large gains on the weekend workouts. On Monday-Friday, I averaged about 5 hours per day. I had trouble sleeping on several nights, and ended up taking naps and using sleeping aids. Overall my sleeping is improving, but I still have a long way to go.
    Last edited by aka23; 04-27-2003 at 08:37 PM.

Weekly Goal Update

Weight -- 165.0lb (+ 1.0lb)

Median Body Fat -- 4.1% (no change)
    Lowest Formula -- 2.6% (JP-3, chest, abdomen, thigh)
    Highest Formula -- 4.8% (L-3, triceps, abdomen, subscapular) & (FS-4, triceps, axilla, abdomen, subscapular)

My goal is to be 170lb and 5% body fat. This week my body weight increased 1.0lb to 165.0lb. My body fat and all my skinfold measures stayed the same as last week. I attached a current pic in the same pose as last week.

Skinfold Measures
    Biceps -- 2 mm
    Triceps -- 2 mm
    Chest -- 3 mm
    Axilla -- 3 mm
    Abdomen -- 4 mm
    Thigh -- 4 mm
    Suprailliac -- 5 mm
    Subscapular -- 8 mm
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Last edited by aka23; 04-27-2003 at 11:53 PM.

looking hella good!
    "Eat until it hurts dammit! Then eat more. Youll get used to it. I think its like sex for a chick. Sure it hurts the first time, but after a couple rides it just goes in like a glove." -clvmike19

"... chicks are like smarties. They're different colors but each share the same deliciousness. Its just a matter of deciding if you'll save the red ones for last or eat a bunch of different ones in the same handful." -wibble

The Tuna Tempter
    Man u are ripped! Nice work!

-Tank
    Life's too short to be small

GhettoSmurf & Tank23,

Thanks for the compliments on the picture. I am happy with my progress. It seems that I have been gaining muscle while maintaining my body fat.
    Last edited by aka23; 04-28-2003 at 09:31 AM.

Today's Training Log

Sleep
    I had trouble sleeping last night, despite using Restoril (prescription sleeping medication). I woke up several times throughout the night and probably only slept about 2.5 hours. I will try to take a nap later this evening.

One ususual side effect or Restoril is it helps me remember my dreams. Since taking the medication, I have learned that I have some interesting dreams. Last night I had a dream that involved a car accident, a talking dog, and fighting a guy with a scapel.

EDIT: I was not able to take a nap. I just do not feel tired. I am probably going to have sleeping problems tomorrow as well.

Weights
    No weight training today. I may do some ab work later tonight. My hamstrings and back are feeling quite sore. I am looking forward to tommorow's workout. I plan to try barbell shrugs for the first time. I will also learn if my new weighted chin-up approach is working.

Cardio
    Cycling -- Very low intensity, very long duration

Diet
    • ~3300 calories
    • Meal 1 - Large bowl Shredded Wheat with skim milk and cut up banana, pollock fillet, a few peanuts
    • Meal 2 - Large bowl black beans mixed with brown rice, sweet potato, small serving chicken breast, orange, a few peanuts
    • Meal 3 - Large bowl oatmeal, chicken breast, brown rice, 1 package green beans, apple, a few peanuts
    • Meal 4 - Grape Nuts with skim milk, 1 package brussel sprouts, 1 ear corn, cantaloupe
    • Snack 1 - Oatmeal, 1 package broccoli, a few peanuts
    • Snack 2 - Banana

Supplements
    2g flax oil, 1g fish oil
    Last edited by aka23; 04-29-2003 at 12:51 AM.

Originally posted by Vido
    I find it interesting that one of the reasons you don't eat beef is that it doesn't prepare well in the microwave. Quite frankly, no meat, fish, or poultry prepares particularly well in the microwave. I think you should invest in a grill of some sort.
    I cook almost all of my meats in the microwave. I have found that frozen fish and fresh poultry can come out very well. They can also come out very badly. It helps to use small servings and/or thin slices, cook at less than max power, and cover with a wrapper that holds the moisture. When cooking fresh poultry, I separate it from the paper towel at regular intervals to prevent sticking. Fresh fish and beef are a different story. Neither one seems to come out well. Some types of fish have a tendency to explode, which can be very messy.

I like microwave cooking because it is quick, convenient, and consistent. I can usually cook any of the meats that I eat in under five minutes. I have not tried cooking with a grill, so I do not have anything to compare to. I will look into trying a grill when the opportunity presents itself.
    Last edited by aka23; 04-28-2003 at 07:56 PM.

Today's Training Log

Sleep
    I had trouble sleeping again tonight, and only slept approximately 2.5 hours last night. My total sleep for the past two days is roughly 5 hours. I think my lack of sleep negatively effected today's weight workout. I will try to take a nap this evening.

If this trend continues, I will visit my doctor again. I may also start a topic in the general health forum, asking for advice.

EDIT: I took a refreshing one hour nap after meal 3.

Weights
    Pull Day
    Doorway Width Chin-ups -- BW+25 x 7*, BW+15 x 10*
    Underhand Chin-ups -- BW+30 x 8*
    EZ Bar Curls -- 105x6*, 100x7
    DB Concentration Curls -- 50x4.5/4*, 45x8*
    Dumbbell Rows -- 87x8, 82x10
    Upright Rows -- 105x6.5*, 100x9*
    Barbell Shrugs -- 205x7N, 185x10N

Bold = Largest weight ever used for given exercise
    * = Personal Record, Record number of reps at a given weight or record maximum weight
    N = New Exercise, No basis for personal record comparison

Most sets were personal bests or record maximum weights. However, many gains were just 1 rep or 5lbs over last week. I added 5lb to my maximum on everything except for the dumbbell rows and the shrugs, which were a new exercise. I had to significantly reduce reps in the bicep exercises to sustain the increased weight.

I had good gains on the upright rows. I am dissapointed with the bicep exercises and the chin-ups. I was hoping for larger gains. I could have gone higher on the dumbbell rows. I instead focussed on form during this workout. I prefer dumbbell shrugs to barbell shrugs. I think I get a better range of motion. I plan to do dumbbell shrugs next week.

I am thinking about adding a new exercise to work my posterior deltoids into this workout. I may do seated rear lateral raises.

Cardio
    Running/Eliptical Trainer -- High Intensity
    I usually do HIIT on the treadmill on Tuesdays. I am switching this workout to Thursday, so I do not overwork the legs on Wednesday's Leg Day.

I am not quite sure what type of cardio I will do tonight. I plan to focus on the eliptical trainer since it is not weight bearing like running, giving my legs a chance to recover. I may try a longer duration on the eliptical trainer than I have done before. I may try hill programs on the eliptical trainer for the first time. I might attempt HIIT on the eliptical trainer. Or I might do my Saturday workout of increasing treadmill speeds followed by eliptical trainer on a random setting. I will edit this post and report how things go.

EDIT: I started out doing an increasing speed workout on the treadmill. After the warmup, I began at 7.5mph. I incremented by 0.5mph every 5 minutes, and ended at 9.5mph. This is 0.5mph faster than my usual speeds. Next I did two hill programs on the eliptical trainer with 45 second intervals. My pulse peaked at 170 on the final interval.

This workout was surprisingly easy. I felt like I could continue for a longer duration and go at a higher intensity. Perhaps yesterday's rest day or my preworkout beef meal made a difference.

Diet
    • 3300-3400 calories
    • Meal 1 - Large bowl Shredded Wheat with skim milk and cut up banana, red snapper fillet, a few peanuts
    • Meal 2 - Large bowl black beans mixed with brown rice, sweet potato, small serving chicken breast, grapes, a few peanuts
    • Meal 3 - Large bowl oatmeal, top round steak, brown rice, 1 package green beans, pear, a few peanuts
    • Meal 4 - Large bowl Life Cereal with skim milk, 1 package peas, cantaloupe
    • Snack 2 - Apple, 1/2 snapper fillet
    I plan to eat beef later tonight. This will be the first time I have had beef in many years.

Supplements
    1g flax oil, 2g fish oil
    Last edited by aka23; 04-29-2003 at 11:38 PM.

Originally posted by aka23

This will be the first time I have had beef in many years.

MMMMMM BEEFY!
    "Eat until it hurts dammit! Then eat more. Youll get used to it. I think its like sex for a chick. Sure it hurts the first time, but after a couple rides it just goes in like a glove." -clvmike19

"... chicks are like smarties. They're different colors but each share the same deliciousness. Its just a matter of deciding if you'll save the red ones for last or eat a bunch of different ones in the same handful." -wibble

MMMMMM BEEFY!
    The top round steak turned out pretty well. I probably will do this again, the next time there is a good sale. I do not like the extra time involved in the preparation due to trimming fat. The texture was a lot touugher than what I am used to. This might be related to my cooking method in the microwave. Here is how I rate it in comparison to the other meats I eat: 1 = best , 7 = worst.

Taste
    1. Turkey
    2. Beef (depends on mood)
    2. Chicken (depends on mood)
    2. Snapper (depends on mood)
    2. Tuna (depends on mood)
    6. Pollock
    7. Salmon

Cost (based on the type I purchase during sales)
    1. Tuna
    2. Pollock
    3. Beef
    4. Chicken
    5. Snapper
    6. Turkey
    7. Salmon

Preparation/Conveinence
    1. Salmon
    2. Tuna
    3. Pollock
    4. Snapper
    5. Turkey
    6. Chicken
    7. Beef
    Last edited by aka23; 04-29-2003 at 09:22 PM.

Dude, you are one methodical guy.

That, or you have a lot of time on your hands.

Which is it??
    You can't babysit this.

Banned
    There you go, you added a slight bit of variety to your diet. Now, was that so hard?

I've noticed that your posts are well written, I can see now that they are also backed by a very impressive physique.
    Maki Fit Blog

At Large: Optimize Your Body | Dynamic Conditioning |
    My articles on Wannabebig

"Soli Deo Gloria"
    "Test all things; hold fast what is good.": 1 Thessalonians 5:21

"I do not understand what I do. For what I want to do I do not do, but what I hate I do. And if I do what I do not want to do, I agree that the law is good. As it is, it is no longer I myself who do it, but it is sin living in me. I know that nothing good lives in me, that is, in my sinful nature. For I have the desire to do what is good, but I cannot carry it out. For what I do is not the good I want to do; no, the evil I do not want to do--this I keep on doing. Now if I do what I do not want to do, it is no longer I who do it, but it is sin living in me that does it.
    So I find this law at work: When I want to do good, evil is right there with me. For in my inner being I delight in God's law; but I see another law at work in the members of my body, waging war against the law of my mind and making me a prisoner of the law of sin at work within my members. What a wretched man I am! Who will rescue me from this body of death? Thanks be to God--through Jesus Christ our Lord!"
    Romans 7:14-25

"Judo is not about strength. Yet in the learning curve, all Judokas get strong. Only with time do you learn where to apply that strength."
    The Art of Judo

The Tuna Tempter
    It seems that I have been gaining muscle while maintaining my body fat.
    You are one of many people that are living proof that it is possible to do both simultaneously. That's great man, it's not easy to do, you've definitely put a lot of effort and research into this. Good work

Yeh his posts are definitely well written, which makes them so much easier to read. I agree with the impressive physique statement too.

-Tank
    Life's too short to be small

Maki and Tank23,

Thanks for the compliments on my physique and posts. I have never thought of my posts as well written. Logical and analytical things tend to be my strengths, while I tend to be weaker in writing and other more subjective areas.
    Last edited by aka23; 04-30-2003 at 11:38 AM.

I should have said then that I think that your post are logical and very well thought out. This makes reading posts a much more enjoyable activity on the forums.

Anyways, I should start reading your journal more often
    Maki Fit Blog

At Large: Optimize Your Body | Dynamic Conditioning |
    My articles on Wannabebig

"Soli Deo Gloria"
    "Test all things; hold fast what is good.": 1 Thessalonians 5:21

"I do not understand what I do. For what I want to do I do not do, but what I hate I do. And if I do what I do not want to do, I agree that the law is good. As it is, it is no longer I myself who do it, but it is sin living in me. I know that nothing good lives in me, that is, in my sinful nature. For I have the desire to do what is good, but I cannot carry it out. For what I do is not the good I want to do; no, the evil I do not want to do--this I keep on doing. Now if I do what I do not want to do, it is no longer I who do it, but it is sin living in me that does it.
    So I find this law at work: When I want to do good, evil is right there with me. For in my inner being I delight in God's law; but I see another law at work in the members of my body, waging war against the law of my mind and making me a prisoner of the law of sin at work within my members. What a wretched man I am! Who will rescue me from this body of death? Thanks be to God--through Jesus Christ our Lord!"
    Romans 7:14-25

"Judo is not about strength. Yet in the learning curve, all Judokas get strong. Only with time do you learn where to apply that strength."
    The Art of Judo

Originally posted by Maki Riddington
    I should have said then that I think that your post are logical and very well thought out. This makes reading posts a much more enjoyable activity on the forums.

Anyways, I should start reading your journal more often
    Thanks. I also am impressed with your posts, as well as your articles and other contributions to the site.

Originally posted by carolinagirl

Dude, you are one methodical guy.

That, or you have a lot of time on your hands.

Which is it??
    I am definitely a methodical and analytical person. I like using formulas and converting subjective data into numbers. When I do cardio, I often wear a heart rate monitor and download the data into my computer. I record all the foods I eat at fitday.com . When I lift weights, I take a training log and record all my reps/lifts. When I measure my body fat, I take the median value from seven different skin fold formulas. One of the reasons I like microwave cooking so much is the consistency. I can type in numbers, and it comes out nearly the same way each time. This same attitude is related to my consistent diet that Vido noticed.

I have been this way for as long as I can remeber. When deciding on colleges, I created a formula that rated all the colleges that offered my major according to my interests. I scored 800's on my math SATs, my quantitative (math) GREs, and my analytical (logic) GREs. I was voted most serious in high school. I work as an engineer. And the list goes on...

In addition, I do have a lot of time on my hands at the moment. Things are slow at work.
    Last edited by aka23; 04-30-2003 at 02:46 PM.

Today's Training Log

Sleep
    I slept approximately 4 hours last night using Restoril (prescription sleeping aid).

Weights
    Quads & Abs Day
    Squats -- Warmup Set, 240x8*, 215x12*
    Barbell Forward Lunges -- 115x10*
    Dumbbell Step-ups (22" Platform) -- 50x10N
    Crunches -- BW+10 x 15*, BW+10x15
    Twisting Crunches -- BW+15 x 15*
    Leg Raise Type Exercises -- BW+30 x 15* , several other types and sets

* = Personal Record, Record number of reps at a given weight or record weight at a given number or reps
    N = New Exercise, No basis for personal record comparison

I increased my maximum by 5lb on all exercises that I have done previously. I was able to increase the maximums without reducing reps. My lower back felt sore during the final squat at 240lb. It may become the limiting factor at higher weights.

I tried dumbbell step-ups for the first time today. I really like this exercise. I plan to continue with them next week. They got my heart rate up as high as squats, and there is less opportunity to cheat or use bad form. You either step up on the platform, or you do not. I got the idea because barbell step-ups were popular with several sports teams at my college. I chose dumbbell over barbell since it seems more safe. Losing balance while carrying a heavy weight on your shoulders could result in injury.

Cardio
    Cycling, moderate intensity
    I plan to do stationary cycling at a higher level than I have ever done before. I have great energy today, and have no muscle soreness. This seems like a good time to move up the intensity. I will update this message later today and report how it goes.

EDIT: I did the first 1/4 at my regular level, 1/2 at the higher level, and the final 1/4 at my regular level. This was one of the best cardio workouts I have had this year. I broke my distance record by a large margin. My regular intensity felt much easier than it has ever before. My HR was more than 10 bpm lower than normal during the portions at my usual intensity.

Diet
    • 3300-3400 calories
    • Meal 1 - Large Bowl Nature O's cereal, pollock fillet, grapes, a few peanuts
    • Meal 2 - Large bowl black beans mixed with brown rice, sweet potato, small chicken breast, grapes
    • Meal 3 - Large bowl oatmeal, canned tuna, brown rice, 1 package green beans, pear, a few peanuts
    • Meal 4 - Grape Nuts with skim milk, baby lima beans mixed with corn (succotash), cantaloupe
    • Snack 2 - Apple, Rice
    I need to get to the supermarket. I am nearly out of fruit.

Supplements
    1.3g borage oil, 1g flax oil, 1g fish oil, multivitamin/mineral (no iron)
    Last edited by aka23; 04-30-2003 at 11:48 PM.

nice job with the PB's again aka. i swear everytime i come in here you have a new PB

Just wanted to compliment you on the journal. I find it interesting to read.

The heart rate monitor seems to be a nice addition as far as training aids go. I noticed that you have not eaten walnuts since first trying them. Have you thought about maybe trying almonds or some other type of nut to maybe add variety? I also enjoy unsalted cashews which are tasty IMO.

Originally posted by bradley
    Just wanted to compliment you on the journal. I find it interesting to read.

The heart rate monitor seems to be a nice addition as far as training aids go. I noticed that you have not eaten walnuts since first trying them. Have you thought about maybe trying almonds or some other type of nut to maybe add variety? I also enjoy unsalted cashews which are tasty IMO.
    I am glad you like reading the journal. I enjoy writing in it and find it to be a useful tool for tracking progress and improving.

I agree with your comments about the heart rate monitor. Knowing your heart rate is particularly useful for cardio type exercises. It can be a good way of tracking improvements and measuring intensity. I am looking forward to using it today during HIIT. I am curious just how high my heart rate gets during all out sprints.

I only ate part of one walnut. It thought it tasted awful. Perhaps it would have been better cooked. I chose peanuts over other types of nuts (I realize that technically peanuts are not nuts) because they are less expensive and there is a greater selection. Next time I run low, I will try almonds or cashews.
    Last edited by aka23; 05-01-2003 at 10:05 AM.

nice job with the PB's again aka. i swear everytime i come in here you have a new PB
    Thanks. I try to slowly increment weights and reps, so I get a few personal bests with every workout. I did not do as well in today's weight session, and made fewer PBs than I have in a long time. I will post more detail later today.

Today's Training Log

Sleep
    I slept approximately 2 hours last night. I have only slept about 12 hours in the past 4 nights.

I set another appointment with my doctor for the sleeping difficulties. I am planning to ask about possible physiological causes and ask about getting a different medication. I was fortunate enough to get an appointment today, but the doctor did not show up. I wasted more than one hour at the office scheduling the new appointment for tomorrow. Worst of all I embarassed myself in front of a girl who goes to my gym. I will probably see her again tonight when I do my HIIT. My appointment was at 3:00 PM. When I returned home, I found a message on my answering machine about the doctor being out. The message was time stamped at 3:05 PM, after my appointment was supposed to begin, while I was inside the office.

EDIT: I took a refreshing 1.5 hour nap after meal 3, so my total sleep for the day is 3.5 hours.

Weights
    Push Day
    Bench Press -- Warmup Set, 195x5, 180x9
    Dumbbell Incline Press -- 70x9*, 75x1*
    Dumbbell Flyes -- 60x8*, 55x10
    Dumbbell Military Press -- 55x8*, 50x10
    Dumbbell Front Raises -- 30x8*, 25x11*
    Skullcrushers -- 110x6*, 105x8.5*
    Dumbbell Kickbacks -- 45x7.5*, 40x12*

* = Personal Best, Record number of reps at a given weight

This was one of the worst workouts I have had in a long time. Getting only two hours of sleep last night probably contributed to my poor performance.

My bench press is the only exercise that has not improved since I started this journal. I thought I might have been overtraining, so I removed a flat press from my workout schedule. This was the workout where I would find out if my changes worked. I was expecting a good gain, and instead I lost a rep. I had a failure while trying to get the final rep, causing the bar to be stuck on my chest. I ended up rolling it to the floor.

I added 5lb to my maximum for the incline dumbbell press, skullcrushers, and the front raises. I find it interesting that, on the incline press, I can do 9 reps at 70 and only 1 rep at 75. Perhaps the first set wore me out. This is the first time I have done alternating front raises in about a month. I am up a bit from my previous maximum, but still below my lateral raises. I added a rep to most of the other exercises, setting a personal best for the number of reps at that weight. I was hoping for larger gains.

Cardio
    HIIT, Long Intervals
    I plan to do my usual intervals on the treadmill. I will start at 1 min 12mph / 1 min 7mph, and decrease intensity as time goes on. This will be my first chance to try this workout with my HR monitor. It should be interesting to see how high my HR gets during this workout. I will edit this post and report how things go.

EDIT: My workout is outlined below:

3 min -- Warmup
    2 min -- 6 mph
    15 intervals -- 1 min 12 mph / 1 min 7 mph
    5 min -- cooldown

This workout was outstanding. I was able to do all 15 intervals at the 12mph/7mph pace for the first time. In previous workouts, I have had to reduce the intensity. The 12mph pace feels much easier than it used to. This is the max speed of the treadmill, so I may have to add a slope (run uphill) to increase intensity and get my heart rate higher. My heart rate peaked at about 180 bpm on the later intervals.

Diet
    • 3400-3500 calories
    • Meal 1 - Large bowl Shredded Wheat Cereal with skim milk and cut banana, pollock fillet, a few peanuts
    • Meal 2 - Large bowl black beans mixed with brown rice, sweet potato, small serving chicken breast, grapes, a few peanuts
    • Meal 3 - Large bowl oatmeal, chicken breast, brown rice, 1 package green beans, apple, a few peanuts
    • Meal 4 - Large bowl Organic Oats cereal with skim milk, succotash, cantaloupe
    • Snack 2 - Oatmeal, 1/2 pollock fillet

Supplements
    2g flax oil, 1g fish oil
    Last edited by aka23; 05-01-2003 at 11:35 PM.

Originally posted by aka23
    Worst of all I embarassed myself in front of a girl who goes to my gym.
    Well? What did you do? Details, man, details! I'm all agog.

(I wouldn't have guessed you for the self-embarrassing type, btw. . Me? Sure. You? Not so much.)

And doctors suck. You should charge him for your wasted time - just send him a bill for your usual hourly rate, with an additional surcharge for the lost cool points with the girl .

Doctors are as bad as damn contractors. They both schedule like 5 jobs for the same time slot, when it should be patently obvious to any competent 2nd grader that not more than 2 of those jobs have a chance in hell of getting done.
    You can't babysit this.