The Five Biggest Contradictions in Fitness
Latest Article

The Five Biggest Contradictions in Fitness

It’s no secret that when people contradict themselves, it has the effect of making the flaws in their actions or statements seem glaringly obvious. But what about when WE ourselves get caught contradicting ourselves by someone else?

By: Nick Tumminello Added: January 6th, 2014
More Recent Articles
Contrast Training for Size
By: Lee Boyce
An Interview with Marianne Kane of Girls Gone Strong
By: Jordan Syatt
What Supplements Should I be Taking? By: Jay Wainwright
Bench Like a Girl By: Julia Ladewski
Some Thoughts on Building a Big Pull By: Christopher Mason

Facebook Join Facebook Group       Twitter Follow on Twitter       rss Subscribe via RSS
Page 50 of 161 FirstFirst ... 40484950515260100150 ... LastLast
Results 1,226 to 1,250 of 4025

Thread: Training Log

Nice to see you using your arm more aka. Good luck with the progress.

Looks good. I don't think there's any shame in starting up a little light. As long as you are careful and move up in weight you should be fine.

Mik,
    Thanks for the support. I expect that the sessions will rapidly improve as I get used to lifting heavier weights with my arm again.

Scott S,
    Thanks. I feel that it is better to start out too light than start out too heavy and risk further injury. Nevertheless, I might feel embarrassed doing this type of workout at the gym. I imagine I would like I am doing a "toning" workout that is common with people who are afraid of getting big. This would be even more the case for future workouts since I am planning to substitute kickbacks/cable pushdowns for the extensions. Kickbacks are a safer exercise for me since gravity pushes the dumbbell in a position that is within my ROM when doing kickbacks, while gravity pushes the dumbbell into a painful position outside of my ROM when doing extensions.
    Last edited by aka23; 09-16-2003 at 10:14 AM.

aka: Don't worry what others are thinking man. You just had a major injury, so doing light weight is expected. I agree that starting out too light is much better then starting out too heavy.

LOL If you show up doing "toning" exercises, all the others will assume they MUST work!

It's good to see that you are taking it easy and not risking a re-injury. I know I sure would have a hard time keeping myself from lifting if I experienced what you did.
    5-9 170

Nice going Aka....it's great to see you got the OK from the Dr. and even better (well WHO here would expect otherwise?) that you got right back into working that arm!You and all that Cardio in the treadmill you're still my cardio hero.......BUT I am going to suggest for both the social and physical fitness aspects that you give raquetball a try. Have you ever?

On Auto Pilot:******* Huge Alke's Avatar
    hey aka, good to see you working the arm! (so once it is fully healed) your not going to be losing any ROM due to the injury are you?
    My Journal
    Progress Pic

1RM's
    30MAY03 = 800 Total - Bench 230, Squat 245, Deadlift 325
    22OCT04 = 960 Total - Bench 275, Squat 305, Deadlift 380

Most push-ups in one minute = 102 (BW:195lbs)

Some men see things as they are and say, "Why?" I dream things that never were and say, "Why not?" - George B. Shaw

FOOD is my drug of choice

Fuzz,
    I agree completely. I try to avoid worrying about others are thinking when at the gym. I plan on doing most of my freeweight sessions at home, so it should not be a big issue. When I go to the gym on weekends, I will focus on machines that are not available to me at home.

Scott S,
    Thanks for the compliment. I have noticed that there are several larger guys at my gym who use suprisingly light weights.

ryan1117,
    I have had found it difficult to avoid lifting for so long. It is especially difficult when there is a noticable atrophy that increases each week. It is great to be lifting again, but I am really looking forward to when I can use heavy weights and return to my regular routine.

Wikked1,
    Racquetball sounds interesting. I used to play tennis when I was younger, but I have never tried raquetball. For fitness purposes, I usually do cardio exercises that have a more predicatble and cotrolled intensity. I may give racquetball a try some time.

Kenn,
    It is my understanding that approximately 90 percent of persons with humerus fractures regain full strength and range of motion. The displacement, surgery, and closeness to the radial nerve all reduce my chances below the average; but my age and fitness improve my chances. I will not know for certain until later along in the recovery. In today's physical therapy session my ROM was -10% (10% short of full ROM) under pressure/pain and ~-20% with natural motion. This is a major improvement over last week. If I continue to improve at this rate, I should have full ROM under pressure by next week.
    Last edited by aka23; 09-16-2003 at 04:50 PM.

Saturday’s Training Log

Sleep
    I slept approximately 8 hours using 25mg doxylamine succinate (OTC sleeping aid).

Weights, Pull Day
    • Gripless Shrugs (in standing calf raise) – 350x12 (+1R), Stack (400)x10 (+1R), Stack+40 (440)x8 (+2R)
    • Hammer Strength Low Row - 2plates+42.5 per side x 7 (+2.5lb ps), 2p+32.5 x 9 (+2R)
      I will move up to 3 plates per side next time.
    • One-armed LifeCircuit Row96(up)/134(down) x 7 (+2lb/2lb), 90(up)/126(down) x 9 (+2R)
      I set eccentric (down) weight at 40% greater than concentric weight (up).
    • One-armed Dual Axis Pulldown, Parallel Grip – 150x7 (+0.5R), 140x9.5 (+0.5R)
      Gains are slowing down on this exercise
    • Seated Hammer Curls – Warmup Set, 40x7 (New), 45x5 (+5lb)
      This was my first time doing hammer curls. I usually do concentration curls instead. In future workouts, I plan to alternate between hammer curls and standard curls. I was disappointed that I was so far below my numbers for concentration curls. I expect to make gains quickly, as I get used to the new movement.
    • One-armed Lateral Raise MachineStack+10 (160)x7 (+10lb), 150x8.5 (+1.5R)
      I continue to have trouble maintaining balance and need to keep my right leg off to the side, to support myself.
    • One-armed Rear Lateral Raise Machine - Stack+20 (270) x19 (+2R)
      Stack+20 is as high as I can safely go on this machine.
    • Cable Bent-over Row to Shoulders / Rear Lateral Raise115x7 (+10lb)
      I am experimenting with new rear deltoid exercises since I cannot go any higher on the machine. I combined a row to shoulders with a partial rear lateral raise. I think I will try dumbbells next week.
    Bold = Largest weight ever used for given exercise
    (+X lb) = Personal Best -- added X lbs to record maximum
    (+X R) = Personal Best -- added X reps to max at given weight

General Comments
    This another very good session. I made several significant gains.

Cardio
    Cycling, Medium Intensity
    I was surprised that my legs were feeling fine today after yesterday’s high intensity running. I was able to really push myself and break my distance record by more than 1%. It will be difficult to break this distance record in future workouts without increasing to a higher intensity level on the machine.

Diet
    • 3800-3900 calories
    • Snack 1 – Large bowl Oatmeal, 1 package broccoli, 1-2 oz pollock fillet, a few peanuts
    • Snack 2 - Oatmeal, 1-2 oz pollock fillet, a few peanuts
    • Meal 1 - Large bowl Nature O’s cereal with skim milk, small serving snapper fillet
    • Snack 3 – Air-popped popcorn, ~1 oz snapper fillet
    • Snack 4 - Oatmeal, 1 package broccoli, 1-2 oz pollock fillet
    • Meal 2 – Large bowl black beans mixed with brown rice, sweet potato, small serving snapper fillet, ½ banana, a few peanuts
    • Meal 3 - Large bowl oatmeal, chicken breast, brown rice, 1 package green beans, apple, a few peanuts
    • Meal 4 – Grape nuts with skim milk, succotash, 1-2 oz chicken breast, ½ banana
    This is the largest calorie total ever recorded in my training log, and probably the most calories I have eaten in years. I am not sure why my appetite was larger than normal today. An increased metabolism after last night’s running probably had an effect.

Supplements
    2g flax oil, 2g fish oil
    Last edited by aka23; 09-16-2003 at 09:17 PM.

Great session aka. Happy to hear that you are able to start using your arm. Awesome job with your dedication and recovery. Very inspiring bro.
    My journal

-As President of the loyal order of Curl Jockeys I hearby proclaim you top Curl Jockey. -ectx

You deserve props for persisting in spite of the difficulties AKA, but you ain't coming back to take over bro -
    Last edited by Coke; 09-17-2003 at 05:55 AM.

JustinF,
    Thanks. I never realized how much I enjoy lifting until I had to go so long without using an arm. I have also started using my left arm to load and unload plates, which makes things much easier on leg day.

CoCoa,
    Thanks for the support. Things were difficult soon after the accident, especially during the period in which I wore a cast. Now that I have nearly full ROM and am using my arm for all daily activities, things are much easier.

Selfproclaimed Fancy Pants wibble's Avatar
    Hey aka, sorry to hear about your arm. I just started catching up on your journal again so thats why I'm so late in posting about it. Glad to see you're healing well though and getting back into things.

Don't worry about looking like someone trying to tone or something either. You are one ripped dude and I don't think anyone would make fun of you for lifting light weights or doing kickbacks.

Keep it up, hope to see you back in full force soon.

Wibble,

I am glad to see that you have returned. You would have to go back to ~page 39 to read about the accident. I broke the humerus bone in upper arm while weightlifting 5-6 weeks ago. I had surgery in which they cut into my tricep and added two plates on opposite sides of the bone. My body feels like it is fully healed, but it may be months until the bone is restored to its regular density.

My plan is to do kickbacks at home and cable pressdowns on days I am at the gym, since I am not able to do pressdowns at my home gym. Once I have full ROM, I will return to DB extensions.
    Last edited by aka23; 09-17-2003 at 11:52 AM.

Selfproclaimed Fancy Pants wibble's Avatar
    Sounds like a pretty nasty injury. It must have been pretty disgusting to feel your bones moving around in your arm. Probably not at the time due to the pain and all, but you know.

Sounds like you have a pretty solid plan there, good man. Congrats on your weight gain also. Yet another goal almost reached.

Thanks. It does sound disgusting to feel bones moving in your arm. You are right that at the time I was only concerned with the pain.

I have almost reached my weight and body composition goals. It won't be so easy to reach my weightlifting goals. My bench press has always been one of my slowest increasing exercises. Exceeding my earlier lifts is going to take some time.

dear cardio master:

1 - If I continue my HIIT sessions, once a week, and make improvements, can I expect to do better if I decide to go out and run five miles in a month or two? In other words, will learning how to do HIIT help out standard distance running at all?

2 - Should I strive to get the sprint intervals higher, the sprint times longer, or the total number of intervals increased?

3 - Are antioxidants a good idea after HIIT, or cardio in general?

4 - I understand there are horse shoes. Are there horse socks?

thanks
    Last edited by fuzz; 09-17-2003 at 07:49 PM.

Originally posted by fuzz
    1 - If I continue my HIIT sessions, once a week, and make improvements, can I expect to do better if I decide to go out and run five miles in a month or two? In other words, will learning how to do HIIT help out standard distance running at all?
    HIIT would help out with distance training. It improves both aerobic and anaerobic systems, among other things. When describing his study with a type of HIIT training, Dr. Tabata said that his protocol of 20 seconds of work with 10 seconds of rest "may be optimal with respect to improving both the aerobic and anaerobic energy release systems." Most competitive distance runners do HIIT style training. In the Lore of Running, Dr. Noakes goes so far to say “it would be unthinkable of a modern elite distance athlete to try to succeed in competition without doing some speed training.” This speed training usually includes intervals that resemble HIIT. Different types of intervals tax different systems. If you wanted to emphasize improving your distance running, you would want to do different types of intervals than if you wanted to improve your sprinting speed.

2 - Should I strive to get the sprint intervals higher, the sprint times longer, or the total number of intervals increased?
    It depends on your goals. As mentioned above, different types of intervals tax different systems. For repartitioning benefits, increasing the intensity and to a lesser extent the number of intervals is important. The length of the intervals and intensity of the recovery periods are less important. However, decreasing the rest period and increasing the rest intensity is very helpful for improving cardiovascular fitness. Different lengths of sprints stress different systems, and have a variety of benefits. Shorter intervals tend to be better for speed, while longer intervals tend to be better for lactate tolerance and maintaining a faster pace. I think one would get the most benefit from doing a variety of different types of intervals. Noakes writes

“Exercise to exhaustion in less than 6 to 10 seconds stresses creatine phosphate and glycolytic metabolism maximally and is probably limited by the accumulation of Pi, H+, and Mg++; blood lactate levels remain relatively low. During intervals lasting 6 to 30 seconds glycolysis is the predominant energy source, but the recovery period allows sufficient time for removal of all the lactate and protons produced during the exercise period. Thus, steady-state blood lactate levels are reached after two or three intervals. The benefit of this form of interval training may be to speed up the rate of lactate removal from muscle during the recovery period.

Finally, interval sessions of longer than 30 seconds cause a maximum contribution of glycolysis to energy production resulting in a progressive accumulation of lactate and protons, because the recovery metabolism is too slow to prevent their accumulation. This type of interval training stresses the buffering systems of muscle maximally and will adapt the muscle for performance at low PH levels."

3 - Are antioxidants a good idea after HIIT, or cardio in general?
    I prefer to get my nutrients naturally and avoid supplements, so I have not looked much into how supplements may benefit HIIT or other forms of cardio. I recall seeing a study finding that marathon runners benefited from vitamin E supplementation before running. Intense training would no doubt increase the need for certain vitamins and minerals, but I feel that such needs would probably be covered by a healthy diet, assuming no medical disorders were present. I think a general rule of thumb would be to treat HIIT sessions like you would a weightlifting session.

4 - I understand there are horse shoes. Are there horse socks?
    Here are some links to horse socks:
    http://absolutesocks.com/horses.html
    http://strictlyanimals.com/detail.cfm?ID=2824
    Last edited by aka23; 09-18-2003 at 12:07 AM.

LOL

Gonnabebig Member JuniorMint6669's Avatar
    Originally posted by aka23
    Here are some links to horse socks:
    http://absolutesocks.com/horses.html
    http://strictlyanimals.com/detail.cfm?ID=2824
    What im wondering is if aka had these links bookmarked... or if he had to go find them....

aka, i always enjoy reading your journal, though I never comment. (has to do with my social anxiety i think, im afraid of what you'll think about what i say blah blah blah). Anyways, im trying to get over my social phobia/anxiety so im posting! Keep up the good work

JuniorMint6660,

I did a Google search to find the websites. I wear the same type of white quarter-length socks every day. I find these shorter socks more comfortable and less restricting than standard socks. I briefly dated a woman who wore Garfield socks last year.

I also get anxious in social situations. I find posting much easier that person-to-person contact since there is more anonymity and less direct interaction. I often feel uncomfortable starting conversations with new persons or speaking in large groups. However, posting and email does not bother me.

“Exercise to exhaustion in less than 6 to 10 seconds stresses creatine phosphate and glycolytic metabolism maximally and is probably limited by the accumulation of Pi, H+, and Mg++; blood lactate levels remain relatively low. During intervals lasting 6 to 30 seconds glycolysis is the predominant energy source, but the recovery period allows sufficient time for removal of all the lactate and protons produced during the exercise period. Thus, steady-state blood lactate levels are reached after two or three intervals. The benefit of this form of interval training may be to speed up the rate of lactate removal from muscle during the recovery period.

Finally, interval sessions of longer than 30 seconds cause a maximum contribution of glycolysis to energy production resulting in a progressive accumulation of lactate and protons, because the recovery metabolism is too slow to prevent their accumulation. This type of interval training stresses the buffering systems of muscle maximally and will adapt the muscle for performance at low PH levels."
    When I do HIIT cardio, i do 1min sprints and 45 sec recovery. I am generally exhausted after my HIIT sessions, but I was wondering if these intervals are giving me the maximum benefit from the HIIT.

...sorry to clutter up your journal with questions
    The world acording to prune

If you can't be a good example, at least be a terrible warning.

Aka,I've never done any real HIIT cardio but perhaps 1/2 a$$ attempt on my treadmill .....however the Raquetball was probably similar as far as running goes with the exception that the intervals are much shorter and closer together......I think it would be a good sport for you if you could find a CO-ED league and it might also you know put you in a social environment where you could be at ease.......just some food for thought! Pec-Dec I'll write down model and see if I can find a link for you.....I THINK ours is a Body Masters one......

I briefly dated a woman who wore Garfield socks last year.
    You dated a woman?? j/k I find it hilarious that you looked up horse socks!! Do you have Dragonball Z socks? Been pimping lately?
    "We fight our battles, we wage our wars, we settle the score, with honor and blood" - Atreyu

Dontate to my favorite charity!