The Five Biggest Contradictions in Fitness
Latest Article

The Five Biggest Contradictions in Fitness

It’s no secret that when people contradict themselves, it has the effect of making the flaws in their actions or statements seem glaringly obvious. But what about when WE ourselves get caught contradicting ourselves by someone else?

By: Nick Tumminello Added: January 6th, 2014
More Recent Articles
Contrast Training for Size
By: Lee Boyce
An Interview with Marianne Kane of Girls Gone Strong
By: Jordan Syatt
What Supplements Should I be Taking? By: Jay Wainwright
Bench Like a Girl By: Julia Ladewski
Some Thoughts on Building a Big Pull By: Christopher Mason

Facebook Join Facebook Group       Twitter Follow on Twitter       rss Subscribe via RSS
Page 51 of 161 FirstFirst ... 41495051525361101151 ... LastLast
Results 1,251 to 1,275 of 4025

Thread: Training Log

Pruneman,
    It depends on how you define “maximum benefit” and your goals. The interval style you listed might do a good job at improving both aerobic and anaerobic systems. This would be especially true if the intensities were chosen such that the work period was significantly above your anaerobic/lactate threshold, and you did not completely recover between intervals, so you built up an oxygen deficit and a higher HR rate as the intervals went on. Such a program would not be optimal for improving sprinting speed or repartitioning benefits.

In my opinion the program that would gain the “maximum benefit” would be one that involved a variety of different intervals, and improved a variety of different systems. Some intervals would be short with short recovery periods, such as the Tabata intervals mentioned above (20 seconds work, 10 seconds rest). Some would be at max intensity for short periods, with nearly full recovery at slow speeds. Some intervals would be under 20 seconds, some would be in the 20-60 second range, and some would be over 60 seconds.

Wikked1,
    I am not aware of any racquetball courts in my area, although I am sure they exist. My gym just has the basic facilities. It does not have any courts. I will do a search on the Internet to find more about racquetball in my area.

Y2A,
    All of my socks are white and quarter-length. This makes it easier to do laundry and decide what to wear.

Note that I said “briefly dated.” I only went on two dates. I have a history of seeing women once or twice, then taking a long break from dating and never contacting them again. I have not been on any dates since the one mentioned in the journal a few weeks ago, which did not turn out well. I plan to try again some time within the next 4 weeks.

the lil engine that could chops's Avatar
    Originally posted by Y2A

You dated a woman?? j/k I find it hilarious that you looked up horse socks!! Do you have Dragonball Z socks? Been pimping lately?
    LOL @ all the convo over socks! i was wondering if aka wears those too.

Originally posted by fuzz

4 - I understand there are horse shoes. Are there horse socks?
    altho i'm puzzed about what horse shoes are in this context

JuniorMint i would never guess you're self conscious from all the other postings u have. lot's of good info u share.

Originally posted by aka23
    I briefly dated a woman who wore Garfield socks last year.
    she must've been a real character-- takes wacky personality and confidence to wear those on a date! and on a first or second date, at that.

Originally posted by chops
    LOL @ all the convo over socks! i was wondering if aka wears those too.
    I wear socks whenever I go out. I sometimes lift at home in the morning, in bare feet. I realize that this increases risk of injury.

Originally posted by chops
    she must've been a real character-- takes wacky personality and confidence to wear those on a date! and on a first or second date, at that.
    Yes. She had a very extroverted and outgoing personality. She liked to get noticed and had a unique look. If I remember correctly, she was wearing jeans, so her Garfield socks were not obvious.

I sometimes lift at home in the morning, in bare feet. I realize that this increases risk of injury.
    Aka, how is this? I work out barefoot everyday. Is that bad?
    My journal

-As President of the loyal order of Curl Jockeys I hearby proclaim you top Curl Jockey. -ectx

Originally posted by JustinF
    Aka, how is this? I work out barefoot everyday. Is that bad?
    When I made that statement, I was thinking about injury from dropping plates/dumbbells on your feet or accidentally kicking equipment. It is common for gyms to not allow open-toed footware for such reasons. There also may be traction benefits, depending on the exercise.
    Last edited by aka23; 09-18-2003 at 01:16 PM.

Sunday’s Training Log

Sleep
    I slept approximately 6.5 hours using 25mg doxylamine succinate (OTC sleeping aid).

Weights
    Session #1: Legs & Lower Back, High Volume
    • Incline Leg Press – Warmup Sets, 700x7 (+10lb), 650x8 (+1R)
      I did not feel like I had good control during these sets. I plan to stay at this weight next week.
    • Sled Hack Squats – Warmup Set, 400x7 (+2R), 350x10 (+1R)
      This was my second time doing sled hack squats. I think I will continue with this exercise.
    • Lying Leg Curls – 120x12 (+2R), 130x8
      This is the largest gain on leg curls I have made in months. In recent weeks, leg curls have been my slowest gaining exercise. Substituting good mornings seems to be working well.
    • Seated Calf Raises230x10 (+5lb)
    • Standing Calf Raise MachineStack+70 (470)x13 (+10lb)
      I probably placed an unsafe amount of weight on top of the stack. Next time I plan to switch to the smith machine, or perhaps the leg press.
    • Inner Thigh Machine – Stack+25 (215)x11
    • Lower Back Extension – Stack (380)x13 (+2R)
      These reps were cleaner and more controlled than usual.
    Bold = Largest weight ever used for given exercise
    (+X lb) = Personal Best -- added X lbs to record maximum
    (+X R) = Personal Best -- added X reps to max at given weight

General Comments
    I am calling this a “high volume” workout because it is high volume in comparison to my other leg workout. On low volume days I will do only 5 or 6 sets of exercises, mostly squats and lunges. This was another good workout. I am happy to finally make gains on the leg curls.

Session #2: Injured Arm Workout, Machine Emphasis
    • One-Armed, Dual Axis Pulldown – 50x15
      It felt good to work my lats. I do not think the dumbbell pullovers adequately hit my lats during my home gym workout. I wish at had one of these machines in my home gym.
    • Hammer Strength Low Row – 1 plate per side x15
    • Hammer Strength Flat Press – 1 plate per side x15
      My arm was trembling while doing these presses, even though I was no where near failure. When this happened during my previous workout, while doing flat DB presses, I assumed it was balance related. Now I am not so sure.
    • Hammer Strength Incline Press – 40 per side x15
    • Hammer Strength Military Press – 32.5 per side x15
      These were closer to failure than I would have liked. I may have chosen too large a weight. I tried to set each of the weights for these HS presses at ~40% of the values used for my right arm.
    • One-armed Lat Raise Machine – 40x15
      This felt easy, but the way the machine pressed against my scar makes me uncomfortable.
    • One-armed Rear Lat Raise Machine – 70x15
      These felt extremely easy. I will probably increment to 90, or perhaps even 100 next time. I think I have lost little strength in this area, and I expect that this will be the first exercise in which I reach pre-accident levels.
    • One-armed Triceps Machine – 20x15
      This machine pushes my arm outside its range of motion, which made the exercise awkward and painful. I plan to substitute cable pushdowns next time
    • One-armed Preacher Curl Machine – 20x15
      This machine does not work well because it presses my elbow against the padding. I will stick to DB curls in future workouts.

General Comments
    This was my second injured arm workout. I plan to do one of these injured arm workouts 3 or 4 days per week. 2-3 will be dumbbell workouts at home and 1 will be a machine workout at the gym, like listed above. In future gym workouts I will only use machines for back, chest, and shoulders. I will use cables/dumbbells for arms.

Cardio
    Rest Day
    This is probably my first no cardio day in about a week. I decided to take a rest day since I had already done two weight workouts, including a higher volume leg workout.

Diet
    • 3500-3600 calories
    • Snack 1 – Oatmeal, 1 package broccoli, 1-2 oz chicken breast, a few peanuts
    • Snack 2 - Oatmeal, 1-2 oz chicken breast, a few peanuts
    • Meal 1 - Large bowl Nature O’s cereal with skim milk, small serving chicken breast
    • Snack 3 – Air-popped popcorn, ~1 oz chicken breast
    • Meal 2 – Large bowl black beans mixed with brown rice, sweet potato, small serving chicken breast, ½ banana, a few peanuts
    • Meal 3 - Large bowl oatmeal, chicken breast, brown rice, 1 package green beans, apple, a few peanuts
    • Meal 4 – Large bowl Shredded Wheat with skim milk and cut up banana, 1 package brussel sprouts, small serving turkey breast
    Calories were lower than normal today. I probably had a smaller appetite because of yesterday’s record high total.

Supplements
    1g flax oil, 4g fish oil
    Last edited by aka23; 09-18-2003 at 03:49 PM.

Good looking session aka. I gotcha on the barefoot thing. I've done that many a time, kicked plates or dumbells that I left on the ground. I think I may have broken a toe or two, but for some reason I just love training barefoot.
    Last edited by JustinF; 09-18-2003 at 05:55 PM.
    My journal

-As President of the loyal order of Curl Jockeys I hearby proclaim you top Curl Jockey. -ectx

I only went on two dates. I have a history of seeing women once or twice, then taking a long break from dating and never contacting them again.

Sounds like me up till my senior year of high school. Except for the "one or two dates" part.

JustinF,
    I have also kicked equipment when lifting in bare feet. I started doing leg workouts at home again this week. I am going to make a special effort to wear shoes in future workouts. I noticed the difference immediately when doing lunges.

Scott S,
    I did not go out much in high school either. In high school, I became interested in pushing myself to my limits, both academically and physically. This is when I first started lifting and doing cardio. As I became more focused on improving myself, my interest in social events decreased. My attitude did not start changing back until I was older and had different priorities.

Monday’s Training Log

Sleep
    I slept approximately 4 hours using 25mg doxylamine succinate (OTC sleeping aid), then took a 0.5 hour nap after meal 3. I woke up prematurely during my nap because I had a nightmare. I may have conscious when the nightmare occurred. I remember being in my bed with my eyes open and unable to move. Being paralyzed scared me into waking up. When I awoke, I was in the same position in my bed and could move again.

Weights, Push day
    • Hammer Strength Flat Press – Warmup Sets, 2plates+27.5 per side x 7 (+1R), 2p+17.5 x 8
      I continue to make slower gains on the flat press than on any other chest exercise. If my gains continue at this rate, then my incline press will be matching my flat press in about a month.
    • Hammer Strength Incline Press2plates+20 per side x 7 (+2.5lb), 2p+10 x 8.5 (+1.5R)
      I will move up to 2p+22.5 per side next time.
    • Hammer Strength Decline Press3plates+10 per side x 7 (+2.5lb ps)
    • One-armed Dumbbell Shoulder Presses – Warmup Sets, 65x8 (+2R), 70x1 (+5lb)
      I only had enough strength to get the 70lb dumbbell up and do 1 rep on the second set. I wish I could increment in 2.5lb intervals at the gym, like I can at home with my 1.25lb plates and do a set at 67.5lb. I am nearing my two-armed PR of 72.5x8.
    • One-armed Dumbbell Front Raises - 40x9.5 (+0.5R), 45x4 (+1R)
    • One-armed Lying Dumbbell Extensions – Warmup Set, 55x7 (+1R), 50x8
      Gains remain slow on this exercise.
    • One-armed Triceps Pushdown – Warmup Set, 110x5 (+5lb), 105x8 (+1R)
      My form was worse than usual on the heavy set. I plan to stay at this weight and concentrate on form next time.

Cardio
    Cycling, Intervals -> Medium Intensity

I did a hill program with 75 second intervals at the max intensity of my Vision Fitness cycling machine, a hill program with 2min 15 sec intervals at one level lower, then finished up with ~20 minutes of fixed intensity cycling. I believe both intervals tie my largest at that intensity. I did not attempt to set any PRs and went slower than normal during the fixed intensity cycling, so I will be fresh for tomorrow’s treadmill HIIT.

Diet
    • 3800-3900 calories
    • Snack 1 – Oatmeal, 1 package broccoli, 1-2 oz turkey breast, a few peanuts
    • Snack 2 - Oatmeal, 1-2 oz turkey breast, a few peanuts
    • Snack 3 – Air-popped popcorn, 1-2 oz turkey breast
    • Meal 1 - Large bowl Shredded Wheat with skim milk and cut-up banana, small serving turkey breast
    • Snack 4 – Peach
    • Meal 2 – Large bowl black beans mixed with brown rice, sweet potato, small serving turkey breast, a few peanuts
    • Snack 5 – ½ Banana
    • Meal 3 - Large bowl oatmeal, canned tuna, brown rice, 1 package green beans, pear, a few peanuts
    • Meal 4 – Grape Nuts with skim milk, succotash, 1-2 oz turkey breast, ½ banana
    This is my highest calorie total in years. I broke Saturday’s (two days ago) record by 35 calories. I am not sure why my appetite is so much larger than usual. Perhaps it is related to having two weightlifting sessions yesterday.

Supplements
    1g flax oil, 3g fish oil, 1.3g borage oil
    Last edited by aka23; 09-19-2003 at 05:42 AM.

Real nice workouts Aka.
    This is probably my first no cardio day in about a week.
    ppppfffft I have at least 4 of those DAMN I thought I was doing alright with the cardio till I read this

aka23: Thanks for the detailed response to my questions. I plan on incorporating some more variety into my HIIT sessions...slowly, of course, as I don't want to overtrain by trying too much at once. I'm thinking of trying a 20 second sprint/20 second rest session on grass near where I work next. The benefits Tabata mentioned of possibly speeding the removal of lactate from the muscle sound like they could help quite a bit with high rep weight lifting sets.

Gonnabebig Member JuniorMint6669's Avatar
    aka: i recall you once saying that you were taking a trip to san diego, and then in my journal you mentioned UCSD. Do you live in the so cal area? I live in the OC, maybe we can go pimpin together

Jmint: You go get that one
    aka: No, YOU go get her
    Jmint: No YOUUU go get her
    aka: Lets just go get buff instead
    Jmint: Doh

Wikked1,
    Thanks. Instead of taking days off, I often do low-intensity active recovery days. I feel like these days help out with DOMS, as well as allow my legs to recover. I do not think I had any no cardio days during the first few months of the journal, but I did a very low-intensity cycling session every Monday and Friday.

fuzz,
    Feel free to post questions any time. You can read more about Tabata's study at http://www.pponline.co.uk/encyc/0145.htm and http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/entrez/q...&dopt=Abstract . Tabata intervals are quite intense. One of the articles mentions, “Dr. Tabata told Dick Winett that the subjects in his study, all college varsity athletes, were lying on the floor gasping for air at the end of the workouts.” The higher intensity increases the risk of overtraining and injury, so I would be wary of doing them on sequential days or near leg day.

I agree that the 20 second intervals you describe might help with high reps speed sets, in which lactate tolerance becomes a factor. The <=10 second work intervals that place heavy stress on the creatine phosphate and glycolytic metabolism could also be beneficial for weightlifting.

JuniorMint6669,
    I live in a coastal area north of San Diego, a little over an hour away from Costa Mesa. I am familiar with UCSD because I took a class in Trellis-coded Modulation there, in the spring. I took the course for fun and to improve my job skills. I am not in any degree programs.
    Last edited by aka23; 09-19-2003 at 02:20 PM.

Tuesday’s Training Log

Sleep
    I slept approximately 4 hours using 20mg Restoril, then took a 1.5 hour nap after meal 3.

Weights
    Injured Arm Day
    • One-armed Dumbbell Row – 40x15 (+5lb)
      These still feel easy. I will add 5lb per session (15-20lb per week) until they feel more challenging.
    • One-armed Dumbbell Incline Press – 35x15 (+ incline)
      I had problems with trembling when I did flat presses on Friday, so I switched to incline presses this week. I kept the weight the same because I the incline makes the lift more difficult. I still had some balance/trembling issues, but it was better than last time. I will only increment by 2.5lb per session until this problem is resolved.
    • One-armed Dumbbell Shoulder Press – 27.5x15 (+2.5lb)
    • One-armed Dumbbell Lying Triceps Extensions – 17.5x15 (+2.5lb)
      I dropped the dumbbell too far down on some of the reps, so that the db pushed on the edge of my ROM. This was painful and left my arm irritated. I plan to switch to kickbacks until I have full ROM, to avoid this problem in future workouts. When doing kickbacks, gravity pushes the db within my ROM, while extensions push the db outside my ROM.
    • One-armed Dumbbell Pullover – 17.5x aborted (+2.5lb)… , 10x15, 15x15
      The triceps extensions left my arm too irritated to do the pullovers. I did not record how many reps I did at 17.5 before I stopped. My arm felt much better about 5 minutes later after doing the curls and lateral raises, so I did two more sets of pullovers at 10lb and 15lb.
    • One-armed Seated Curl – 17.5x15 (+2.5lb)
    • One-armed Seated Lateral Raise – 10x15 (+2.5lb)
    (+X lb) = Increment over last session , not a personal best

General Comments
    This is my third injured arm workout. I plan to stay at ~15 reps and keep adding weights in small increments until I start nearing failure. At that point, I will drop down to ~10 reps. I expect to reach this point in the next 1-2 weeks. I do not plan to go below 10 reps until my doctor approves lifting with heavy weights. I expect that my doctor will give me the approval the next time I see him, in three weeks. I may already be above what my he had in mind when he approved weightlifting with “light” weights.

I am using a new labeling style for these injured arm workouts since it will be a long time before I set any personal bests. (+5lb) indicates a 5lb increase over last session that is not a max weight PR. (+5lb) indicates an increase that is a max weight PR.

Cardio
    HIIT, 60-second Intervals
    This was my second treadmill HIIT session since the accident. I did a ramping 60-second interval workout. The first interval was at 11.0 mph. I then increased intensity during each interval until I reached 12.0 mph (max speed of treadmill) and a 1% incline. At this point I felt exhausted, dropped back down to 11.0 mph, then began another set of ramping intensity intervals.

My most recent set of 60-second intervals is described at http://www.wannabebigforums.com/show...log#post584598. In this July 31st session, I reached 12.0mph + a 2% incline during the first series. In my current workout, I only reached a 1% incline. I probably could have pushed myself and continued to a +2, but I did not want to overdo it. Like my previous HIIT session, I had to drop down the intensity on some of the later intervals due to exhaustion as well as calf soreness. My calves were not as bad as last time, but I am clearly not up to my preaccident performance yet.

My workout is summarized below. The final column lists the percentage of my maximum heart rate during its highest point within the interval and how the heart rate compared to the last time I did 60-second intervals on July 31. There is no comparison to my previous workout after the 10th interval because after this point I dropped the duration to below 60 seconds. The comparisons after interval four also may not be valid since I skipped the +2% interval. My HR was higher than normal in the first four intervals. This probably indicates lost cardiovascular fitness since the injury.
    • 3 min -- Warmup
    • 2 min -- 6 mph
    • Interval 1 -- 60 sec 11.0 mph / 60 sec 7.0 mph -- 85% MHR (+5%)
    • Interval 2 -- 60 sec 11.5 mph / 60 sec 7.0 mph -- 88% MHR (+5%)
    • Interval 3 -- 60 sec 12.0 mph / 60 sec 7.0 mph -- 90% MHR (+3%)
    • Interval 4 -- 60 sec 12.0 mph +1% incline / 60 sec 7.0 mph -- 93% MHR (+4%)
    • Interval 5 -- 60 sec 11.0 mph / 60 sec 7.0 mph -- 91% MHR (=)
    • Interval 6 -- 60 sec 11.5 mph / 60 sec 7.0 mph -- 93% MHR (+2%)
    • Interval 7 -- 60 sec 12.0 mph / 60 sec 7.0 mph -- 94% MHR (+1%)
    • Interval 8 -- 60 sec 11.0 mph / 60 sec 7.0 mph -- 93% MHR (-3%)
    • Interval 9 -- 60 sec 11.5 mph / 60 sec 7.0 mph -- 98%? MHR (+1%)
    • Interval 10 -- 60 sec 11.0 mph / 60 sec 7.0 mph -- 97%? MHR (-1%)
    • Interval 11 -- 50 sec 11.0 mph / 70 sec 7.0 mph -- 97%? MHR
    • Interval 12 -- 40 sec 11.0 mph / 80 sec 7.0 mph -- 96%? MHR
    • Interval 13 -- 30 sec 11.0 mph / 90 sec 7.0 mph -- 94%? MHR
    • Interval 14 -- 20 sec 11.0 mph / 100 sec 7.0 mph -- 92%? MHR
    • Interval 15 -- 10 sec 11.0 mph / 110 sec 7.0 mph -- 90%? MHR
    • 6 min -- Cooldown

Diet
    • 3600-3700 calories
    • Snack 1 – Oatmeal, 1 package broccoli, 1-2 oz turkey breast, a few peanuts
    • Snack 2 - Oatmeal, 1-2 oz pollock fillet, a few peanuts
    • Meal 1 – Shredded wheat with skim milk and cut up banana, small serving turkey breast
    • Snack 3 – Peach
    • Meal 2 – Large bowl black beans mixed with brown rice, sweet potato, small serving turkey breast, plum, a few peanuts
    • Meal 3 - Large bowl oatmeal, turkey breast, brown rice, 1 package green beans, pear, a few peanuts
    • Meal 4 – Kashi Heart to Heart cereal with skim milk, 1 ear corn, 1 package peas, 1-2 oz turkey breast, banana
    According to fitday.com, I averaged 3686 calories per day this week. This is ~86 calories above last week and the highest weekly average listed in this journal.

Supplements
    1g flax oil, 4g fish oil
    Last edited by aka23; 09-19-2003 at 06:02 PM.

Originally posted by JuniorMint6669
    aka: i recall you once saying that you were taking a trip to san diego, and then in my journal you mentioned UCSD. Do you live in the so cal area? I live in the OC, maybe we can go pimpin together

Jmint: You go get that one
    aka: No, YOU go get her
    Jmint: No YOUUU go get her
    aka: Lets just go get buff instead
    Jmint: Doh
    Thats terrible pimping
    "We fight our battles, we wage our wars, we settle the score, with honor and blood" - Atreyu

Dontate to my favorite charity!

Weekly Goal Update

Weight – 175.75lb (+0.5lb)

Average Body Fat -- 3.4% (-0.1%)
    Median Body Fat -- 3.5% (no change)

Lowest Formula -- 2.3% (JP-3, chest, abdomen, thigh)
    Highest Formula -- 4.3% (L-3, abdomen, tricep, subscapular)

The body composition portion of my goal is to be at least 177lb and no more than 5% body fat, as determined by the median value of my seven skin caliper formulas.

This week my weight increased by 0.5lb to 175.75lb. This is the first time my weight has increased in nearly a month. I averaged close to 3700 calories per day this week. This average is only about 100 calories above last week, so some of the difference may be related to glycogen/water fluctuations. Perhaps beginning lifting with my left arm is increasing glycogen storage.

My thigh skinfold measure decreased by 0.5mm this week, and my other measures remained the same. The median of the corresponding bf formulas remained the same, and the average decreased by 0.1%. Note that the bf estimates are based on skinfold formulas. Such formulas often underestimate bf in leaner persons, younger persons, and active persons. My actual bf is probably significantly higher than the formulas predict.

Skinfold Measures
    Biceps -- 2 mm
    Triceps – 2 mm
    Chest – 2.5 mm
    Axilla -- 3 mm
    Abdomen – 3.5 mm
    Suprailiac -- 4.5 mm
    Thigh – 4.0 mm (-0.5mm)
    Subscapular – 6.5 mm

I have attached a picture in my usual pose.
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Last edited by aka23; 09-19-2003 at 11:26 PM.

Weekly Goal Update
    ...The body composition portion of my goal is to be at least 177lb and no more than 5% body fat, as determined by the median value of my seven skin caliper formulas...
    In other words, you have already met your goal because you could add on 1.25 pounds of pure fat and you would still be under 5% at 177. So, I'll be the first to congratulate you on reaching your goal.
    5-9 170

Looking shredded as usual, not that I expected anything other than that.
    My journal

Great work!
    ...if I ever decide to do some intervals, you will be one of the first to know -
    Last edited by Coke; 09-20-2003 at 05:34 AM.

ryan1117,
    Yes. I have met the lean body mass portion of my goal. If I gained 1.25lb of pure fat, then the skin fold measures suggest that I would be ~4.2%. However, I am not counting the body composition goal as complete until I gain another 1.25lb.

JustinF,
    Thanks. The pictures rarely show significant changes on a week-to-week basis. I have noticed that my left arm looks slightly bigger than last week. It is still quite a bit smaller than the right one, especially in the tricep area.

CoCoa,
    Thanks. I usually find the 60 second intervals to be tougher than shorter distances. Next week I plan to try 30 second intervals.
    Last edited by aka23; 09-20-2003 at 01:22 PM.

Wednesday’s Training Log

Sleep
    I slept approximately 4 hours using 20mg Restoril, then took a 1.5 hour nap after Meal 3.

Weights, Pull Day
    • Gripless Shrugs (in standing calf raise) – 350x13 (+1R), Stack (400)x11 (+1R), Stack+40 (440)x9 (+1R)
    • One-armed Dumbbell Row – 90x8, 100x7
      This is the first time I have done dumbbell rows with my right arm in about 7 weeks. At that time I did a set at 140x6, using straps. Today I did not use straps, kept the weights low, and focused on form while doing slow, controlled movements.
    • One-armed LifeCircuit Row98(up)/137(down) x 7 (+2lb/3lb), 92(up)/129(down) x 9 (+2R)
      I set eccentric (down) weight at 40% greater than concentric weight (up).
    • One-armed Dual Axis Pulldown, Parallel Grip155x6 (+5lb), 145x9 (+1R)
    • Seated Curls – Warmup Set, 50x4 (New), 45x8
      This was my first time doing standard curls with my right hand. I usually do concentration curls instead. In future workouts, I plan to alternate between hammer curls and standard curls. I am disappointed that I am below my numbers for concentration curls. I expect to make gains quickly, as I get used to the new movement.
    • One-armed Dumbbell Upright Row – 45x13 (New), 55x7 (+10lb)
      I am experimenting with new side deltoid exercises since I have exceeded the stack on the lat raise machine. Lifting upward with only one side makes this exercise feel awkward. I plan to switch back to the lat raise machine next week.
    • One-armed Rear Lateral Raise Machine - Stack+20 (270) x21 (+2R)
      Stack+20 is as high as I can safely go on this machine.
    • One-armed Cable Row to Shoulders with Elbows Out60x7 (New)
      I am experimenting with new rear deltoid exercises since I cannot go any higher on the machine. I like how this movement feels. I am surprised that I could get a good workout using this light a weight.

Cardio
    Cycling, Low Intensity, Long Duration
    My legs were feeling sore after yesterdays HIIT, so I decided to do a low intensity active recovery day. I did most of the workout at a higher level than usual, yet my heart rate remained lower than usual.

Diet
    • 3600-3700 calories
    • Snack 1 – Large bowl oatmeal, 1 package broccoli, 1-2 oz turkey breast, a few peanuts
    • Snack 3 - Air-popped popcorn, 1-2 oz turkey breast
    • Meal 1 - Large bowl Shredded Wheat with skim milk and cut up banana, small serving turkey breast
    • Snack 4 - Peach
    • Meal 2 - Large bowl black beans mixed with brown rice, sweet potato, small serving turkey breast, a few peanuts
    • Meal 3 - Large bowl oatmeal, canned tuna, brown rice, pear, 1 package green beans, a few peanuts
    • Meal 4 – Organic Oats cereal with skim milk, 1 package broccoli, 1 ear corn, grapes, 1-2 oz turkey breast

Supplements
    1g flax oil, 4g fish oil
    Last edited by aka23; 09-20-2003 at 02:59 PM.

Thursday’s Training Log

Sleep
    I slept approximately 4 hours using 20mg Restoril, then took a 1.5 hour nap after meal 3.

Weights
    Session 1: Legs & Lower Back, Low Volume
    • Almost Parallel Squats – Warmup Set, 310x8 (+5lb)
      This was my first time doing rack squats since the accident. I was able to increase 5lb above my preaccident levels while maintaining 8 reps. It seems that smith squats, leg presses, and hack sqats have been decent substitutes.
    • 3/4 Squats240x8 (+5lb)
      I did 235x12 last time. I have the strength to increase above 235lb, but I did not feel like I could go much above 8 reps. I have not been doing many leg sets above 8 reps while recovering, and it shows. I plan to stay at this weight until I can do more reps.
    • Full Squats with Pause190x8 (+5lb)
      I will try to increase reps next time.
    • Straight-legged Good Mornings165x8 (New)
      This was my first time doing good mornings outside of the smith machine.
    • Lunges – 165x10/10
      This was my first time doing forward lunges since the accident. My PR is 180x10/10. I plan to keep the weight low until I feel more comfortable with the movement.

General Comments
    I kept the volume low, so the workout would not interfere with my cardio as much. I plan to toggle between high and low volume leg workouts. This was my first workout at home since the accident. I prefer doing squats at home since my gym does not have a rack.

Session 2: Injured Arm
    • One-armed Dumbbell Row – 45x15 (+5lb)
      These still feel easy. I will add 5lb per session (~15lb per week) until they feel more challenging.
    • One-armed Dumbbell Incline Press – 40x15 (+5lb)
      I had some trembling and ROM issues. I think I will increment by 2.5lb (~7.5lb per week) until these problems are resolved.
    • One-armed Dumbbell Shoulder Press – 32.5x15 (+5lb)
      These were closer to failure than I would have liked. I will start incrementing by 2.5lb on these shoulder presses as well.
    • One-armed Seated Curl – 20x15 (+2.5lb)
      These curls felt easy. I think I have lost less strength on pull exercises (back, biceps) than my push exercises (chest, triceps). My push difficulties may be related to a weak tricep muscle since the surgeons cut through my tricep to insert the plates.
    • One-armed Dumbbell Kickbacks – 20x15 (New)
      I decided to switch from extensions to kickbacks since gravity pushes the dumbbell to a position within my ROM while doing kickbacks, and gravity pushes outside of ROM during extensions. The motion did not irritate my arm at all. I plan to increase by 5lb next session.
    • One-armed Seated Lateral Raise – 11.25x15 (+1.25lb)
      My arm felt sore while doing this exercise. I plan to try upright rows next time. Hopefully the upright rows will not irritate my arm as much.
    • One-armed Dumbbell Pullover – 16.75x15 (+1.25lb)
    (+X lb) = Increment over last session , not a personal best

General Comments
    This is my fourth injured arm workout. I did this workout immediately after the low volume leg workout mentioned above.

Cardio
    Cycling, moderate intensity
    This was a decent workout. I was ~0.5% below my distance record. It will be difficult to break this record without increasing the intensity level on the cycling machine.

Diet
    • ~3800 calories
    • Snack 1 – Large bowl oatmeal, 1 package broccoli, 1-2 oz turkey breast, a few peanuts
    • Snack 3 - Air-popped popcorn, 1-2 oz turkey breast
    • Meal 1 - Large bowl Shredded Wheat with skim milk and cut up banana, small serving turkey breast
    • Snack 4 - Peach
    • Meal 2 - Large bowl black beans mixed with brown rice, sweet potato, small serving turkey breast, a few peanuts
    • Meal 3 - Large bowl oatmeal, canned tuna, brown rice, pear, 1 package green beans, a few peanuts
    • Meal 4 – Grape Nuts with skim milk, succotash, grapes, 1-2 oz snapper fillet

Supplements
    1g flax oil, 4g fish oil
    Last edited by aka23; 05-12-2004 at 03:36 PM.

Friday’s Training Log

Sleep
    I slept approximately 5 hours using 20mg Restoril.

Weights, Push day
    • One-armed Dumbbell Incline Press – Warmup Sets, 85x6 (+2R), 80x8.5 (+0.5R)
      I stabilized the dumbbell with my left hand after about 4 reps into the first set, before continuing with the final two reps. I probably could have done the reps without the outside help, but I did not want to risk injury, especially since I press the dumbbell slightly inward to maintain balance. One thing I like about one-armed presses is that you can use the other hand for stabilizing, help with reps, and other spotter activities. I expect to reach or exceed my two-armed PR of 85x7 next week.
    • Hammer Strength Decline Press3plates+12.5 per side x 7 (+2.5lb ps)
    • Hammer Strength Wide Chest3plates+17.5 per side x 7 (+5lb), 3p+12.5 x 8 (+2R)
    • Hammer Strength Military Press1plate+40 per side x 7 (+2.5lb), 1p+35 x 8 (+1R)
    • One-armed Dumbbell Front Raises - 45x5 (+1R), 40x10 (+1R)
      I am tempted to start doing these at home, where I can increment by 2.5lb. I feel like 40lb is too light and 45lb is too heavy.
    • One-armed Dumbbell Skullcrushers – Warmup Set, 55x5 (+1R), 50x10 (+1R)
      My form was more strict than usual today.
    • One-armed Triceps Pushdown – Warmup Set, 85x8 (New), 80x10 (New)
      I am calling this a new exercise because it was done on a station with a different resistance than my previous sets. I expect that 85lb on this station has a similar resistance to 110lb on the other.

General Comments
    This was a good workout. I felt more energized than usual, and nearly every set was a PR.

Cardio
    Running, Medium-->High Intensity / Elliptical Trainer, Intervals
    I did an increasing speed workout on the treadmill followed by two short hill programs on the elliptical trainer. This was my third time doing this workout since the injury. My performance continues to improve with each session.

I started at 7.5mph, then increased by 0.5mph every 5 minutes until reaching 10mph, the max speed of the treadmill. I was able to do the full 5 minutes at 10mph. After getting off the treadmill, I did two hill programs on the elliptical trainer with 39-second intervals. I completed these two hill sessions at a faster pace than last time. I was able to generate force using the both hand grips for the first time since the accident. In previous sessions, I had let my right arm and legs do all the work.

My workout and HR rate are summarized below. The %MHR refers to the average value within the interval. The values (+%) list the change from last session. My HR peaked at ~94%MHR when getting off the treadmill. It rose quickly during the final couple minutes of the 10mph interval, even though the overall average was much lower. My HR was lower than last session during most of the intervals. This HR change indicates performance improvement.
    • 3 minutes -- 4.0 mph (Warmup)
    • 7 minutes -- 7.5 mph -- 73%MHR (-3%)
    • 5 minutes -- 8.0 mph -- 79%MHR (-1%)
    • 5 minutes -- 8.5 mph -- 82%MHR (-1%)
    • 5 minutes -- 9.0 mph -- 86%MHR (=)
    • 5 minutes -- 9.5 mph -- 91%MHR (+1%)
    • 5 minutes -- 10.0 mph -- 91%MHR (=)
    • Hill Program 1 -- 39 second intervals -- 82-88%MHR (-2%/-2%)
    • Hill Program 2 -- 39 second intervals -- 81-90%MHR (-1%/-3%)

Diet
    • 3800-3900 calories
    • Snack 1 – Oatmeal, 1 package broccoli, 1-2 oz snapper fillet, a few peanuts
    • Snack 2 - Oatmeal, 1-2 oz pollock fillet, a few peanuts
    • Snack 3 – Air-popped popcorn, 1-2 oz snapper fillet
    • Meal 1 - Large bowl Shredded Wheat with skim milk and cut-up banana, small serving snapper filet
    • Meal 2 – Large bowl black beans mixed with brown rice, sweet potato, small serving snapper fillet, peach, a few peanuts
    • Meal 3 - Large bowl oatmeal, canned tuna, brown rice, 1 package green beans, apple, a few peanuts
    • Meal 4 – Kashi Heart to Heart cereal with skim milk, 1 ear corn, 1 package peas, 1-2 oz snapper fillet, grapes

Supplements
    4g flax oil, 1g fish oil
    Last edited by aka23; 09-21-2003 at 06:44 PM.

Good and thorough work as always - keep it up man