The Five Biggest Contradictions in Fitness
Latest Article

The Five Biggest Contradictions in Fitness

It’s no secret that when people contradict themselves, it has the effect of making the flaws in their actions or statements seem glaringly obvious. But what about when WE ourselves get caught contradicting ourselves by someone else?

By: Nick Tumminello Added: January 6th, 2014
More Recent Articles
Contrast Training for Size
By: Lee Boyce
An Interview with Marianne Kane of Girls Gone Strong
By: Jordan Syatt
What Supplements Should I be Taking? By: Jay Wainwright
Bench Like a Girl By: Julia Ladewski
Some Thoughts on Building a Big Pull By: Christopher Mason

Facebook Join Facebook Group       Twitter Follow on Twitter       rss Subscribe via RSS
Page 52 of 161 FirstFirst ... 242505152535462102152 ... LastLast
Results 1,276 to 1,300 of 4025

Thread: Training Log

My actual bf is probably significantly higher than the formulas predict
    if only I suffered from the shredded midsection as you do !! I wouldn't concern myself with this too much if I looked in the mirror and saw a shredded 6 pack! Grats on the PR's Even while recovering!

CoCoa and Wikked1,
    Thanks for the support. I have had a number of good sessions recently and have set many PRs.

Wikked1,
    I agree about not getting too concerned about the accuracy of bf measures. I am more concerned with skinfold changes from week-to-week and tracking progress. If the numbers are going down, I am probably losing fat. If the numbers are going up, I am probably gaining fat. I put in the statement listed below in all of my weekly goal updates as a disclaimer since the bf's listed are often too low to be realistic or healthy.

"Note that the bf estimates are based on skinfold formulas. Such formulas often underestimate bf in leaner persons, younger persons, and active persons. My actual bf is probably significantly higher than the formulas predict."
    Last edited by aka23; 09-22-2003 at 11:14 AM.

Saturday’s Training Log

Sleep
    I slept approximately 9 hours using 25mg doxylamine succinate (OTC sleeping aid). My sleep was interrupted due to problems with my website. I received a large number of emails about the forums being down, and the server was repeatedly sending the warning “send body: filedescriptor (1026) larger than FD_
    SETSIZE (1024) found, you probably need to rebuild Apache with a larger FD_SETSIZE.” The problems went away after I rebuilt Apache without changing any of the parameters.

Weights
    Injured Arm Workout, Machine Emphasis
    • One-Armed, Dual Axis Pulldown – 65x15 (+15lb)
    • Hammer Strength Low Row – 1 plate +15 per side x15 (+15lb)
      These felt easy. I will increment by at least 20lb next time.
    • Hammer Strength Flat Press – 1 plate +10 per side x15 (+10lb)
      I continue to feel much weaker on push/press exercises than pull/row/curl exercises. My arm was trembling and I had poor control, yet my chest felt like it was hardly getting worked. The weak point is in my triceps, stabilizers, or ROM; not my chest.
    • Hammer Strength Incline Press – 1 plate +5 per side x15 (+10lb)
    • Hammer Strength Military Press – 42.5 per side x15 (+10lb)
      These were very close to failure.
    • One-armed Lat Raise Machine – 50x15 (+10lb)
      This felt easy again. I will increment by at least 20lb next time.
    • One-armed Rear Lat Raise Machine – 130x15 (+60lb)
      I added 60lb, nearly doubling the resistance, and these still felt easy. I have a history of making rapid gains on this machine. I was doing 270x8 (Stack+20) with two arms before the accident. I consider today’s 130x15 with one arm to be above pre-accident levels.
    • One-armed Cable Pushdown – 40x15 (New)
    • One-armed Cable Curl – 40x15 (New)
      These felt awkward. I prefer dumbbells to cables or machines. I will probably do standard curls on weekday freeweight days and hammer curls on weekend machine days..
    Bold = Largest weight ever used for given exercise
    (+X lb) = Increment over last session , not a personal best
    (+X lb) = Personal Best -- added X lbs to record maximum
    (+X R) = Personal Best -- added X reps to max at given weight

General Comments
    I do not having my training notebook with me, so I am listing the weights by memory. I will likely make some minor edits when I get home from work in a couple hours.

This workout begins my second week of injured arm exercises. I will probably drop down from 15 reps to 10 reps on Friday or Sunday of next week (6-8 days). I do not plan to go below 10 reps until my doctor approves lifting “heavy” weights. I will ask him about using heavy weights when I see him during my next appointment, on Oct. 9th.

I spent about 15 minutes searching for my workout notebook before going to the gym. I did not realize how much I depended on the notebook until it was not available. Knowing my previous lifts is critical in these injured arm workouts since I increment the weights every session.

Cardio
    Cycling, Low Intensity, Long Duration
    My legs were feeling sore after yesterdays running, so I did a low intensity, active recovery session. I plan to do an elliptical trainer session tomorrow.

Diet
    • ~3700 calories
    • Snack 1 – Large bowl oatmeal, 1 package broccoli, ~2 oz snapper fillet, a few peanuts
    • Snack 2 - Oatmeal, ~2 oz snapper fillet, a few peanuts
    • Snack 3 - Large bowl Nature O’s cereal with skim milk
    • Snack 4 – Air-popped popcorn, ~2 oz snapper fillet
    • Meal 1 – Large bowl black beans mixed with brown rice, sweet potato, small serving snapper fillet, banana, a few peanuts
    • Meal 2 - Large bowl oatmeal, chicken breast, brown rice, 1 package green beans, apple, a few peanuts
    • Meal 3 – Large bowl Kashi Seven in the Morning cereal with skim milk, succotash, grapes

Supplements
    4g flax oil, 1g fish oil

I am thinking about taking a glucosamine/chondroitin supplement. I am hoping that it will improve my recovery by assisting in joint healing and flexibility/ROM. I am concerned that most of the research about glucosamine seems related to osteoarthritis. I do not know how well the possible benefits would apply to musculoskeletal injuries, surgery, and immobilization. I am also unsure if the negative effects on insulin and blood sugar shown in some animal studies would be an issue for humans when taken orally in typical doses. I will do some more research before beginning.
    Last edited by aka23; 09-23-2003 at 07:54 AM.

On Auto Pilot:******* Huge Alke's Avatar
    hey aka, awesome session for the injured arm there! It looks like you are progressing quickly = thats a good sign.

your strength on push/press exercises would seem more taxing on the ol' arm, and I agree that it has a lot to due with the stabilizers re-building after your injury. Thats great your getting stronger.

One of my friends took glucosamine/chondroitin up north and he said it took about 5 weeks to feel any effects from it. Once he started taking it consistently. he noticed more flexibility and less stiffness in his knees and wrists during workouts. Then again, I know someone who took it and didnt feel any different. It seems to be one of those supps that varies from person to person...........I myself have never taken it so I dont have any first hand knowledge.

on another note, I just bought a few cases of bush's black beans over black eyed peas = they were on sale. I think I prefer the black eyed peas though.
    My Journal
    Progress Pic

1RM's
    30MAY03 = 800 Total - Bench 230, Squat 245, Deadlift 325
    22OCT04 = 960 Total - Bench 275, Squat 305, Deadlift 380

Most push-ups in one minute = 102 (BW:195lbs)

Some men see things as they are and say, "Why?" I dream things that never were and say, "Why not?" - George B. Shaw

FOOD is my drug of choice

Kenn,

Thanks. It is quite a bit easier to lift the weights now than when I started training my left arm 10 days ago. I still do not have a good measure of my strength since I have not gone to failure yet and have been doing slow, controlled sets of 15 reps. Not going to failure also makes it look like I have been progressing especially fast. I plan to go to failure on Friday's workout, which will be my last day of 15 reps. This should give me a better sense of my strength. I suspect that I could do at least 70% of my preaccident lifts on all my pull exercises. I would guess that my push exercises vary from 50-75%, with the lowest values being on tricep extensions. I hope to be at or above my preaccident lifts and have full ROM when doing 5 reps, sometime next month.

I hope to have similar effects to your friend, if I take glucosamine. Increased flexibility and less stiffness is exactly what I am hoping for.

I buy 1lb bags of Vons dried beans and cook them myself. I usually do not concern myself much with the price since it is on the order of 900 calories per $. Canned products tend to be more expensive and have additives, such as sodium. I have not had black eyed peas in many years. I might give them a try some time in the future, for variety.
    Last edited by aka23; 09-22-2003 at 09:06 PM.

Sunday’s Training Log

Sleep
    I slept approximately 9.5 hours using 25mg doxylamine succinate (OTC sleeping aid).

Weights, Pull Day
    • Gripless Shrugs (in standing calf raise) – 350x14 (+1R), Stack (400)x12 (+1R), Stack+40 (440)x10 (+1R)
    • Hammer Strength Low Row - 3 plates per side x 7 (+2.5lb ps), 2p+35 x 9 (+2R)
      It felt good to finally reach 3 plates per side.
    • One-armed LifeCircuit Row – 100(up)/140(down) x 7 (+2lb/3lb), 94(up)/132(down) x 9 (+2R)
      I set eccentric (down) weight at 40% greater than concentric weight (up).
    • One-armed Dual Axis Pulldown, Parallel Grip – 155x6, 145x9
      I made no gains this week. I think I will try switching to the Hammer Strength Pulldown. I was hoping to reach my BW with one arm before switching exercises.
    • Seated Hammer Curls – Warmup Set, 45x7 (+2R), 40x9 (+2R)
      This was my second time doing hammer curls, so I am still making rapid gains. I will move up to 50lb next time.
    • One-armed Lateral Raise Machine – Stack+20 (170)x7 (+10lb), 160x9 (+2R)
      I continue to have trouble maintaining balance and need to keep my right leg off to the side, to support myself. Stack+20 is as high as I can safely go on this machine. I will need to find a new exercise soon.
    • One-armed Rear Lateral Raise Machine - Stack+20 (270) x22 (+1R)
      Stack+20 is as high as I can safely go on this machine. Next time I plan to try slower reps while keeping my elbow at a higher angle.
    • One-armed Cable Row to Shoulders with Elbows Out – 65x7 (+5lb)
      I am experimenting with new rear deltoid exercises since I cannot go any higher on the machine. I like how this movement feels. I am surprised that I could get a good workout using this light a weight.

General Comments
    Looking at the numbers, this appears to be a good workout. I set PRs on every working set except for the pulldowns. Nevertheless, I felt like I lacked intensity in this workout. When I go to the gym, I usually get a burst of adrenaline and am able to perform at my maximum, even if I was feeling sore or weak a few minutes ago. In this workout, I felt much flatter. All the heavy sets felt heavier than usual, and my form was worse than usual on several sets.

Cardio
    Elliptical Trainer, Medium-high Intensity
    I have not done one of these workouts in a long time. I did the first half hour on a random setting at the new higher intensity, and the second at my usual intensity. I was able to generate force using the handles with both arms. In most previous workouts I have only used my good arm. Peformance was poor. I was ~3% below my distance record during both ½ hours.

Diet
    • 3700-3800 calories
    • Snack 1 – Large bowl oatmeal, 1 package broccoli, ~2 oz chicken breast, a few peanuts
    • Snack 2 - Oatmeal, ~2 oz chicken breast, a few peanuts
    • Snack 3 - Large bowl Nature O’s cereal with skim milk
    • Snack 4 – Air-popped popcorn, ~2 oz chicken breast
    • Meal 1 – Large bowl black beans mixed with brown rice, sweet potato, small serving chicken breast, banana, a few peanuts
    • Meal 2 - Large bowl oatmeal, chicken breast, brown rice, 1 package green beans, apple, a few peanuts
    • Meal 3 – Large bowl Kashi Heart to Heart cereal with skim milk, peas, 1 ear corn, 1-2 oz turkey breast
    I may edit this after fiday.com comes back online.

Supplements
    1g flax oil, 4g fish oil
    Last edited by aka23; 09-23-2003 at 01:57 PM.

I really hate it when fitday goes down.

Speaking of that, do you record your food in a journal or something besides fitday, aka? I'd be outta luck if fitday went down for awhile.

the lil engine that could chops's Avatar
    hi aka, how did the meeting with "hugh hefner" go?

fuzz,
    I also really dislike it when fitday goes offline. The website is a great resource, and I have come to depend on it. I do not keep a food journal. Fitday makes this task much easier and permits more detailed analysis.
    Last edited by aka23; 11-25-2003 at 05:26 PM.

Monday’s Training Log

Sleep
    I slept approximately 5 hours using 25mg doxylamine succinate, then took a 1.5 hour nap after meal 3.

Weights
    Session #1: Legs & Lower Back, High Volume
    • Incline Leg Press – Warmup Sets, 700x8 (+1R), 650x10 (+2R)
      I did not increment the weights this week, and instead focused on form. The final set felt great. Every rep was smooth and controlled with perfect form. The first set was better than last week, but could be improved. I have started using 45lb plates again, which makes it much less time consuming to load and unload this machine.
    • Sled Hack Squats – Warmup Set, 410x7 (+1R)
    • Smith Machine Good Mornings – 180x9 (+10lb), 190x7 (+20lb)
      The lying leg curl machine was broken, so I substituted straight-legged good mornings. I made excellent gains on this exercise.
    • Smith Machine Calf Raises – Warmup Set, 480x15 (+6R)
      I have not done smith machine calf raises in months. I do not like how the weight of the bar feels on my shoulders. Perhaps I will switch to the hack squat machine next time. The padding will be easier on my shoulders, but it will be difficult to place a calf block for my feet at an angle.
    • Seated Calf Raises – 235x10 (+5lb)
      I may drop down the weight next week to insure that I have full ROM.
    • Inner Thigh Machine – Stack+25 (215)x12 (+1R)
      This is the first time I have gained on the inner thigh machine in weeks.
    • Lower Back Extension – Stack (380)x15 (+2R)
      I plan to increment to Stack+10 next time.
    • Ab Machine – Stack (240)x14 (+1R), Stack+10 (250)x10.5 (+0.5R)

General Comments
    This was an outstanding workout. Every working set was a PR, including two exercises in which I have not made gains in weeks..

Session #2: Injured Arm Workout
    • One-armed Dumbbell Row – 50x15 (+5lb)
      These still feel easy. I will add 5-10lb per session (~15-20lb per week) until they feel more challenging.
    • One-armed Dumbbell Incline Press – 42.5x15 (+2.5lb)
      I had some balance issues, but better than last time. I will only make small increments until these problems are resolved.
    • One-armed Dumbbell Shoulder Press – 35x15 (+2.5lb)
      These were closer to failure than I would have liked, again.
    • One-armed Seated Curl – 25x15 (+5lb)
      These still feel easy. I will make 5lb increments on this exercise (~15lb per week) until they feel more challenging..
    • One-armed Dumbbell Kickbacks – 25x15 (+5lb)
      I have switched from extensions to kickbacks since gravity pushes the dumbbell to a position within my ROM while doing kickbacks, and gravity pushes outside of ROM during extensions. I think I will try extensions again next time, since I now have nearly full ROM.
    • One-armed Dumbbell Upright Row – 25x15 (New)
      I am substituting these for lateral raises because the lat. raises irritate my arm. I chose far too light a weight. I think I will increment by 10lb next time.
    • One-armed Dumbbell Pullover – 17.5x15 (+1.25lb)
    (+X lb) = Increment over last session , not a personal best

General Comments
    I am planning to do two more sessions of 15 reps on Wed. and Fri before dropping down to 10 reps.

Cardio
    Rest Day
    I decided to take a rest day since I had already done two weight workouts, including a higher volume leg workout.

Diet
    • 3700-3800 calories
    • Snack 1 – Large bowl oatmeal, 1 package broccoli, 1-2 oz turkey breast, a few peanuts
    • Snack 2 - Oatmeal, 1-2 oz turkey breast, a few peanuts
    • Snack 3 - Air-popped popcorn, 1-2 oz turkey breast
    • Meal 1 - Large bowl Shredded Wheat with skim milk and cut up banana, small serving turkey breast
    • Meal 2 - Large bowl black beans mixed with brown rice, sweet potato, small serving turkey breast, 2 prune plums, a few peanuts
    • Snack 4 – Grapes
    • Meal 3 - Large bowl oatmeal, chicken breast, brown rice, pear, 1 package green beans, a few peanuts
    • Meal 4 - Large bowl Shredded Wheat with skim milk and cut up banana, 1 package broccoli, 1-2 oz chicken breast

Supplements
    1g flax oil, 4g fish oil
    Last edited by aka23; 09-23-2003 at 08:51 PM.

the lil engine that could chops's Avatar
    hi aka. i'm going to add in sweet potato into my diet. i recall that you micro everything - was curious if you chop these/ add water?

Hella nice session bro. That's a lot of PB's there! Ace!
    My journal

-As President of the loyal order of Curl Jockeys I hearby proclaim you top Curl Jockey. -ectx

SWEET leg workout Aka. What do you make of the Smith good mornings? Better than SLDL for the hammies?

Good work, aka. You will be pressing the 90's for reps with both arms in no time.

Chops,
    What I am calling a sweet potato is the dry yellow-fleshed, Jersey variety pictured at http://crsc.calpoly.edu/Brown/VegID/jerseysw.htm . Some supermarkets also call moist orange-fleshed varieties sweet potatoes, while others call them yams. Technically nearly all yams sold in the US are actually sweet potatoes. True yams are ra oot vegetable grown in Africa that may weigh as much as 100lb.

These two types of sweet potatoes have different textures and prepare differently. The dry yellow-fleshed variety tends to be firmer. I have found that they work well in the microwave. I microwave 8oz for 4:30 at 1000W or 9oz for 5:00. I do not chop them or add water. Putting a few holes with a fork may be a good idea, as some types can explode when cooking. I think the softer orange/purple/red yams do not prepare as well in the microwave and taste much better when cooked in a conventional oven.

JustinF,
    Thanks. I feel that this is the best leg day I have had in a long time. Unfortunately my legs are still feeling sore this morning, almost two days later.

Wikked1,
    Thanks. I have not done SLDLs in several months. I do not want to risk holding heavy weights with my left hand until my doctor approves it. I like smith good mornings more than leg curls, and I feel like my hamstrings get more of a workout. Alternating sessions between leg curls and good mornings has allowed me to break a plateau with little hamstring progress. I can lift heavier weights with SLDLs, and they may tax the hamstrings more. Nevertheless I think I prefer the motion of smith good mornings. I also like how I do not need to hold weights with my upper body.

Fuzz,
    Thanks. My injured-arm DB presses are feeling more stable with every session. In this morning's workout I was able to do all the presses without any stabilization or assistance from my right hand. I suspect that the presses are going to feel a lot easier once my strength and balance are good enough to do symmetrical lifts with two arms. One-armed presses still feel awkward, especially when using heavier weights.
    Last edited by aka23; 09-24-2003 at 12:20 PM.

Weekly Goal Update

Weight – 176.5lb (+0.75lb)

Average Body Fat -- 3.5% (+0.1%)
    Median Body Fat -- 3.5% (no change)

Lowest Formula -- 2.7% (JP-3, chest, abdomen, thigh)
    Highest Formula -- 4.5% (S-2, thigh, subscapular)

The body composition portion of my goal is to be at least 177lb and no more than 5% body fat, as determined by the median value of my seven skin caliper formulas.

This week my weight increased by 0.75lb to 176.5lb. My weight has been increasing faster than I expected based on my calorie intake since I started lifting with my injured arm. This makes me suspect that a good portion of this increase is related to glycogen/water balance.

My suprailliac skinfold measure decreased by 0.5mm this week, my thigh increased by 1 mm, and my other measures remained the same. The median of the corresponding bf formulas remained the same, and the average increased by 0.1%. Note that the bf estimates are based on skinfold formulas. Such formulas often underestimate bf in leaner persons, younger persons, and active persons. My actual bf is probably significantly higher than the formulas predict.

Skinfold Measures
    Biceps -- 2 mm
    Triceps – 2 mm
    Chest – 2.5 mm
    Axilla -- 3 mm
    Abdomen – 3.5 mm
    Suprailliac -- 4 mm (-0.5mm)
    Thigh – 5 mm (+1mm)
    Subscapular – 6.5 mm

I do not have a picture this week. My left arm is noticeably larger than before I started lifting 1-2 weeks ago. Much of this change may be related to the glycogen issues mentioned above. I think that my pecs do not look as full as before the injury. This may be related to changes in training such as not doing flyes, barbell presses, or flat DB presses. It could also be related to different poses, lighting, etc..
    Last edited by aka23; 09-24-2003 at 04:31 PM.

Gonnabebig Member JuniorMint6669's Avatar
    aka: I just realized 8 of your skinfold measurments are the same as 2 of mine = I HATE YOU....

j/k nothing but plutonic love for ya man

Originally posted by aka23

The body composition portion of my goal is to be at least 177lb and no more than 5% body fat, as determined by the median value of my seven skin caliper formulas.
    Just drink a glass of water and meet your goal!
    5-9 170

Wannabebig Member
    Originally posted by fuzz
    Speaking of that, do you record your food in a journal or something besides fitday, aka? I'd be outta luck if fitday went down for awhile.
    You know, when fitday went down, I realized, what would I do if it went offline permanently? What's to say that will still be around in 10 years? I may want to refer back to what I was eating at a certain point in time, and would not be able to locate the information. I think I will start keeping a written journal as well--maybe just a simple list of what I ate each day, or even a sample of an average day each week.

On Auto Pilot:******* Huge Alke's Avatar
    hey aka, thats great your making consistant progress through your injury!

That is awesome the way you track your progress and diet. When I first started tracking my own progress and diet I thought it would be a lot harder than it is. When I first started reading your journal I thought, wow, how do you do that? your journal has helped me a lot. just wanted to let you know that bro'

good luck on your meeting too!
    My Journal
    Progress Pic

1RM's
    30MAY03 = 800 Total - Bench 230, Squat 245, Deadlift 325
    22OCT04 = 960 Total - Bench 275, Squat 305, Deadlift 380

Most push-ups in one minute = 102 (BW:195lbs)

Some men see things as they are and say, "Why?" I dream things that never were and say, "Why not?" - George B. Shaw

FOOD is my drug of choice

I think you should bulk to 185 @ < 8%. If you don't like it, you could train it away again. That would be cool.

And, good luck on your meeting. Hey, maybe Hef will give you an invitation to his mansion sometime!

JuniorMint6699,
    Yes. My skinfolds are quite low. It might not be a fair comparison since things like cardio can reduce a disproportionate amount of subcutaneous fat in comparison to visceral fat, making skinfolds smaller than expected. Hydration, water retention, meal timing, age, genetics, and various other things all also effect measurements.

Ryan1117,
    I have reached above 177lb on a few occasions this week. I usually measure highest just after lunch or dinner. I measure lowest after doing intense cardio where I lose a lot of water/glycogen. My official measurements are just before my weekend workouts while wearing my workout clothes and fully hydrated. I suspect that I will reach 177lb on this measure next week.

ebrunner,
    I had similar thoughts the first few times that fitday went offline. Before I knew about fitday and other sites, a few times per year I would try to analyze my average diet and calculate calories, macronutrient ratios, and vitamin/mineral levels. If fitday went offline permanently, there are a few other substitute websites. However, I have not seen any that are as high quality or comprehensive as fitday. Perhaps I would purchase some computer software.

Kenn,
    Thanks. I am glad my journal was helpful. I will make a post about how the meeting turns out. I am planning to take tomorrow off from work to prepare.

Scott S,
    If I assume my BF calculations are reliable (likely to be bad assumption), 185 at 8% BF is a 0.1 lb decrease in muscle and a 8.6lb increase in fat. Hopefully, I can achieve better results than that . My plan is to focus on meeting my other goals, getting cardio and weights back to preaccident performance. My cardio is almost there. I only need to improve my treadmill HIIT, especially for the later portions in which calf soreness becomes a problem. Extra mass will not help with this. My weightlifting goals will probably be more challenging. My bench press has always increased very slowly. My PR is not far above my lifts from the start of the journal. I suspect it will take a long time to build my bench back up to preaccident levels. I will probably change little about my diet. My weight might go up and it might go down, but my main focus will be improving my lifts and my cardio.

Thanks for the support on the meeting. To avoid confusion, I am not meeting with Hugh Hefner, just another business owner who shares a number of characteristics with Hugh.
    Last edited by aka23; 09-25-2003 at 10:51 AM.

Aka: I think you should just start eating KFC and Old Country Buffet for all your meals. Get up to 250 at 30% bodyfat, and wear Nascar hats and start talking like teh Budiak. Drink Busch Light instead of all the damn milk and cereal, and then we can talk.

*puts Smith good mornings on list of "stuff to try"*
    Thanks Aka,Yeah I've been meaning to inquire about your mystery guest fly in meeting. How'd it go dude?