The Five Biggest Contradictions in Fitness
Latest Article

The Five Biggest Contradictions in Fitness

It’s no secret that when people contradict themselves, it has the effect of making the flaws in their actions or statements seem glaringly obvious. But what about when WE ourselves get caught contradicting ourselves by someone else?

By: Nick Tumminello Added: January 6th, 2014
More Recent Articles
Contrast Training for Size
By: Lee Boyce
An Interview with Marianne Kane of Girls Gone Strong
By: Jordan Syatt
What Supplements Should I be Taking? By: Jay Wainwright
Bench Like a Girl By: Julia Ladewski
Some Thoughts on Building a Big Pull By: Christopher Mason

Facebook Join Facebook Group       Twitter Follow on Twitter       rss Subscribe via RSS
Page 53 of 161 FirstFirst ... 343515253545563103153 ... LastLast
Results 1,301 to 1,325 of 4025

Thread: Training Log

D'oh!! My stupid -- I meant 200 @ 8%.

the lil engine that could chops's Avatar
    Originally posted by Wikked1
    *puts Smith good mornings on list of "stuff to try"*
    ditto comment on those good mornings.. dep on the variation on the machines, the hammie curls causes my back to ache slightly.

lol @ old town buffet joke. most ppl at old town are GROSSLY obese, doesnt create much "ambience" (uh, not that i eat there ever..well not anymore.

Originally posted by aka23
    [B]To avoid confusion, I am not meeting with Hugh Hefner, just another business owner who shares a number of characteristics with Hugh.
    One of the characteristics being that he is a pimp? I hope he hooks you up with some girls and you use a in your meeting report
    "We fight our battles, we wage our wars, we settle the score, with honor and blood" - Atreyu

Dontate to my favorite charity!

fuzz,
    I have not had KFC in 10-15 years, I have never had Bush Light, I don’t wear hats, and I don’t watch Nascar. I think I will choose a different set of goals.

Wikked1,
    The meeting is on Saturday morning. I am taking tomorrow off from work to prepare for the meeting. I will make a post about how it goes this weekend.

Scott S,
    200 at 8% sounds like a more reasonable goal, although I would prefer to gain slowly and maintain a lower body fat. For the time being I am going to focus on improving my left arm lifts and treadmill HIIT. I expect that my weight will stabilize somewhere above 177lb during this period.

chops,
    I also dislike leg curls. They are one of my least favorite exercises. The motion feels awkward and I hardly made any gains for months. I do not think there are Old Town Buffets in my area. I have never seen the restaurant.

Y2A,
    You are correct that one of the characteristics is being a pimp. We will probably be having lunch at a higher class restaurant than I am used to. One of the three restaurants in the area was reviewed as one of “the top 20 dining experiences in North America.” I get the impression that this is a casual business meeting, and we will not be going out with women, but I will not for sure until Saturday.
    Last edited by aka23; 09-25-2003 at 06:29 PM.

LOL

[B]fuzz,
    I have not had KFC in 10-15 years, I have never had Bush Light, I don’t wear hats, and I don’t watch Nascar. I think I will choose a different set of goals.

Tuesday’s Training Log

Sleep
    I slept approximately 4.5 hours using 25mg Restoril, then took a 1.5 hour nap after meal 3.

Weights, Push day
    • Hammer Strength Incline Press – Warmup Sets, 2plates+22.5 per side x 7 (+2.5lb), 2p+12.5 x 9 (+2R)
      The flat press station was busy, so I started with incline presses today.

Hammer Strength Flat Press2plates+30 per side x 5 (+2.5lb), 2p+20 x 6.5
      I was not able to do as many reps as I had hoped since I was worn out by the set of flat presses. I suspect that my incline presses and flat presses would be almost the same weight/reps, if done in this order.
    • Hammer Strength Decline Press3plates+15 per side x 7 (+2.5lb ps)
    • One-armed Dumbbell Shoulder Presses – Warmup Sets, 70x4 or x5 (+3R or +4R), 65x8
      I lost track of rep count while focusing on the db presses. I am not sure if I did 4 or 5 reps during the first set. I am nearing my two-armed PR of 72.5x8. I realized that when doing 1-armed presses, there is no need to clean the dumbbells in the air or do other awkward motions to get the db up for the first rep. I can just use the second hand to assist until I get the db in position.
    • One-armed Dumbbell Front Raises - 45x6 (+1R), 40x11 (+1R)
    • One-armed Lying Dumbbell Extensions – Warmup Set, 55x8 (+1R), 50x9 (+1R)
      Gains remain slow on this exercise.
    • One-armed Triceps Pushdown – Warmup Set, 90x7 (+5lb), 85x9 (+1R)
      I am using the same station I used last time, with a greater resistance.
    Bold = Largest weight ever used for given exercise
    (+X lb) = Personal Best -- added X lbs to record maximum
    (+X R) = Personal Best -- added X reps to max at given weight

Cardio
    Cycling, Intervals

I did a hill program with 2min 15 sec intervals, a program with 79 second intervals, and a program with 49 second intervals. The final two programs were at the max intensity of my Vision Fitness cycling machines. The first program was one level lower. The first program tied my max interval duration at that level, the second hill program was slightly larger than my previous record.

Diet
    • 3700-3800 calories
    • Snack 1 – Large Bowl oatmeal, 1 package broccoli, 1-2 oz turkey breast, a few peanuts
    • Snack 2 - Oatmeal, 1-2 oz turkey breast, a few peanuts
    • Snack 3 – Air-popped popcorn, 1-2 oz turkey breast
    • Meal 1 - Large bowl Shredded Wheat with skim milk and cut-up banana, small serving turkey breast
    • Snack 4 – 2 Prune plums
    • Meal 2 – Large bowl black beans mixed with brown rice, sweet potato, small serving turkey breast, a few peanuts
    • Meal 3 - Large bowl oatmeal, chicken breast, brown rice, 1 package green beans, pear, a few peanuts
    • Meal 4 – Grape Nuts with skim milk, succotash, 1-2 oz turkey breast, grapes
    I averaged 3731 calories per day this week. 3731 is 45 calories above last week’s total. It is also the highest average in the journal and probably my highest average in many years.

Supplements
    1g flax oil, 4g fish oil
    Last edited by aka23; 09-26-2003 at 05:43 AM.

SHeeSH.... PB's & PR's all over the place you are the MAN Aka! Nice workout as always! good luck with your meeting!

the lil engine that could chops's Avatar

Y2A,
    We will probably be having lunch at a higher class restaurant than I am used to. One of the three restaurants in the area was reviewed as one of “the top 20 dining experiences in North America.” [/B]

uh oh, aka goes off plan. its the beginning of the end of your diet as we know it.

just teasing!

Wikked1,

Thanks. I make PRs often because I usually increase weights in small increments, I almost never test my maxes, and I usually switch exercises when I no longer make improvements.

I plan to take a test drive to the area this afternoon to prepare for the meeting tomorrow. I am looking forward to finally knowing what this business proposal is about.

chops,

When I take my test drive, I plan to stop by the restaurants and check out the menus. I will pick out a menu item that is not far from my dietary goals. I expect that Saturday's diet log will look different from my usual lunch of beans+rice, sweet potato, and meat. This will be the first time I have eaten a meal at a restaurant in several months.
    Last edited by aka23; 09-26-2003 at 01:36 PM.

Wednesday’s Training Log

Sleep
    I slept approximately 5 hours without using a sleeping aid, then took a 1.5 hour nap after meal 3. This is the first time I have not used a sleeping aid in quite some time. My total hours of sleep is not very different from normal. However, I woke up more frequently than usual. I did not sleep more than 1-2 hours in a row.

I do not think the Restoril that I have been using on weekdays as a sleeping aid provides much benefit. I plan to go without it on other days in the future. The OTC doxylamine succinate sleeping aid that I use on weekends has a more significant effect.

Weights
    Injured Arm Workout
    • One-armed Dumbbell Row – 60x15 (+10lb)
      These still feel easy. I will add 5-10lb per session (~15-20lb per week) until they feel more challenging.
    • One-armed Dumbbell Incline Press – Warmup Set, 45x15 (+2.5lb)
      I did not have the balance problems that I have had in previous workouts. For the first time I did not require any assistance or stabilization from my left arm. Perhaps doing a warmup set was beneficial.
    • One-armed Dumbbell Upright Rows – 40x15 (+10lb)
      These still feel easy. I think I will increase by 10lb again next time.
    • One-armed Dumbbell Shoulder Press – 37.5x15 (+2.5lb)
      These were not close to failure, like they were in my previous 2 workouts, in which I used lighter weights.
    • One-armed Seated Curl – 30x15 (+5lb)
    • One-armed Lying Dumbbell Extension – Warmup Set, 27.5x15 (+10lb)
      I switched back from kickbacks to Lying DB extensions since I have improved ROM. I plan to continue with extensions in future workouts. The warmup set was used to test my strength since I have not done this exercise in more than a week. I came close to failure during the second set.
    • One-armed Dumbbell Pullover – 22.5x15 (+5lb)
      Pullovers irritate my arm, so I cannot use a heavy enough weight to stress my lats. Over the weekend I plan to buy a pulley and a cable. I will use this equipment to build a pulldown machine for future at-home workouts. I may also use the pulley to do pushdowns.
    (+X lb) = Increment over last session , not a personal best

General Comments
    This is my second to last session at 15 reps. In Friday’s workout, I will go to failure for the first time. This workout will allow me to get a sense of my strength. I do not think I have even come close to failure on many of these injured-arm exercises. In some cases, I have chosen to use lighter weights to insure I had full control and minimize the risk of further damage to my arm. I will be doing Friday’s to failure workout at the gym. I plan to substitute machines for some of the exercises to minimize injury risk or because I feel they are better exercises for my situation. I am planning to do the following mix of machines and freeweights/cables: Dual Axis Pulldown, HS Low Row, HS Flat Press, HS Incline Press, Dumbbell Shoulder Press, Lat Raise Machine, Rear Lat Raise Machine, Seated Dumbbell Curls, Cable Pushdowns.

Cardio
    HIIT, 30-second Intervals
    I did a ramping intensity HIIT workout on the treadmill. The first interval was at 11.0 mph. I then increased intensity during each interval until I reached 12.0 mph (max speed of treadmill) and a 7% incline. At this point, I dropped back down to 11.0 mph, then began another set of ramping intensity intervals.

My last 30-second interval workout was in late July, and is listed at http://www.wannabebigforums.com/show...log#post580459 . During this workout, I stopped at a 7% incline on the first series of intervals because of exhaustion. In today’s workout I probably could have gone to a 8% incline or maybe even a 9% incline, but I stopped so I would have would have more energy for the rest of the workout.

I have seen this trend in other HIIT workouts since the accident. I can do short sprints as well as ever at the start of my workout, but my performance gets weaker towards the end of the workout. I do not recover as well as I used to. In my 2nd series of intervals I only made it to a 3% incline, while in my July session I did a 5% incline. After the 19th interval the combination of extreme leg soreness and exhaustion forced me to drop down the intensity even more. My performance is improving in these HIIT workouts, but it is not yet up to preaccident levels.

My workout is summarized below. There are no HR measures because I was running behind schedule and rushed out the door without putting my HR monitor on.
    • 3 min -- Warmup
    • 2 min -- 6 mph
    • Interval 1 -- 30 sec 11.0 mph / 30 sec 7.0 mph --
    • Interval 2 -- 30 sec 11.5 mph / 30 sec 7.0 mph --
    • Interval 3 -- 30 sec 12.0 mph / 30 sec 7.0 mph –
    • Interval 4 -- 30 sec 12.0 mph +1% incline / 30 sec 7.0 mph --
    • Interval 5 -- 30 sec 12.0 mph +2% incline / 30 sec 7.0 mph --
    • Interval 6 -- 30 sec 12.0 mph +3% incline / 30 sec 7.0 mph --
    • Interval 7 -- 30 sec 12.0 mph +4% incline / 30 sec 7.0 mph --
    • Interval 8 -- 30 sec 12.0 mph +5% incline / 30 sec 7.0 mph --
    • Interval 9 -- 30 sec 12.0 mph +6% incline / 30 sec 7.0 mph --
    • Interval 10 -- 30 sec 12.0 mph +7% incline / 30 sec 7.0 mph --
    • Interval 11 -- 30 sec 11.0 mph / 30 sec 7.0 mph --
    • Interval 12 -- 30 sec 11.5 mph / 30 sec 7.0 mph --
    • Interval 13 -- 30 sec 12.0 mph / 30 sec 7.0 mph --
    • Interval 14 -- 30 sec 12.0 mph +1% incline / 30 sec 7.0 mph --
    • Interval 15 -- 30 sec 12.0 mph +2% incline / 30 sec 7.0 mph --
    • Interval 16 -- 30 sec 12.0 mph +3% incline / 30 sec 7.0 mph –
    • Interval 17 -- 30 sec 11.0 mph / 30 sec 7.0 mph --
    • Interval 18 -- 30 sec 11.5 mph / 30 sec 7.0 mph --
    • Interval 19 -- 30 sec 12.0 mph / 30 sec 7.0 mph --
    • Interval 20 -- 30 sec 11.0 mph / 30 sec 7.0 mph --
    • Interval 21 -- 30 sec 11.0 mph / 45 sec 7.0 mph --
    • Interval 22 -- 30 sec 11.0 mph / 60 sec 7.0 mph --
    • Interval 23 -- 30 sec 11.0 mph / 60 sec 7.0 mph --
    • Interval 24 -- 30 sec 11.0 mph / 75 sec 7.0 mph --
    • Interval 25 -- 30 sec 11.0 mph / 75 sec 7.0 mph --
    • Interval 26 -- 30 sec 11.0 mph / 90 sec 7.0 mph --
    • 7 min -- Cooldown

Diet
    • 3700-3800 calories
    • Snack 1 – Large bowl oatmeal, 1 package broccoli, 1-2 oz turkey breast, a few peanuts
    • Meal 1 - Large bowl Shredded Wheat with skim milk and cut-up banana, small serving snapper filet
    • Snack 4 – 2 Prune plums
    • Meal 2 – Large bowl black beans mixed with brown rice, sweet potato, small serving turkey breast, a few peanuts
    • Meal 3 - Large bowl oatmeal, chicken breast, brown rice, 1 package green beans, apple, a few peanuts
    • Meal 4 – Kashi Heart to Heart cereal with skim milk, 1 ear corn, 1 package peas, 1-2 oz turkey breast, grapes

Supplements
    1g flax oil, 4g fish oil
    Last edited by aka23; 09-27-2003 at 12:13 AM.

Those intervals rock and are so intense man! -

...keep up the great work, the injured arm session was good and important to get you back to it the way you want.

Gonnabebig Member JuniorMint6669's Avatar
    Killer intervals, id have a hard time making it through the first 10. Just curious- how do you keep track of your intervals? Is it preprogrammed, or do you just record it from memory? Also, I remember you saying before that you feel supplements are unneccessary, I assume this is why you dont feel the need for pre/post workout drink. I am curious, however, to what your meals look like around workout time? Do you make a point to eat at a certain time before and after training?

CoCoa,
    Thanks for the support. My arm sessions are getting noticably better with every workout.

JuniorMint6669,

When doing intervals, I do not use a hill/interval program. I manually change speeds by typing numbers on the pad. I record the interval program by memory. I found remembering the first 20 intervals easy since they were all ramping intervals of the same length and recovery intensity. I only needed to remember the peak intensity at each of the three series. The final six intervals were a little more tricky. The intensity remained the same, but I needed to remember the changing recovery length.

I usually eat a small meal 1-2 hours before weightlifting, then a larger meal immediately after finishing. My typical postworkout meal is Shredded Wheat with skim milk, a cut-up banana, and poultry or fish. I wait several hours after eating before doing cardio to avoid digestion and insulin issues. My post cardio meal usually includes cereal, corn, fruit/vegetables, and a small serving of meat. I tend to eat cereals containing slightly more sugar after higher intensity sessions.

I feel that this type of postworkout meal is adequate because it promotes an anabolic response and restores glycogen stores, despite being lower GI than dextrose/maltodextrin. Glycemic index is a measure of quality, not quantity. It indicates the blood sugar response 2-3 hours after consuming 50g (usually 50g, sometimes other values) of non-fibrous carbohydrate. Increasing portion size increases blood sugar and insulin response, such that a larger meal of lower glycemic carbs may have a larger insulin response than a smaller serving of high glycemic carbs. A larger serving of a lower GI cereal can produce an adequate insulin response, like the smaller servings of dextrose/maltodextrin found in post workout drinks. Furthermore the milk in cereal and other dairy have an unexpectedly high insulin index. They are low GI, yet they cause insulin responses that are greater than all but the highest GI foods (baked potatoes, maltodextrin, etc).

A second important requirement of a postworkout meal is to refill glycogen reserves. Studies suggest that the GI of the carb does not influence the rate of glycogen refill. Quoting Bryan Haycock,

"Studies have shown no difference between different types of carbohydrates eaten post exercise and the rate of glycogen replenishment as long as sufficient quantities of carbohydrate are consumed (Burke 1997)... These studies tell us that the rate-limiting step in glycogen replenishment after exercise is not in digestion or the glycemic index of a given source of carbohydrate. Over a 24 hour period it is the total amount of carbohydrate consumed that is important."

A quick digesting/absorbing carb source like dextrose/whey drinks may begin the process sooner, but the rate and total glycogen replenishment is more related to the total quantities of carbs consumed. This does not mean that you waste the postworkout window by eating whole foods, like cereal. An adequate preworkout meal can have the nutrients in place. Whole foods can substitute for the whey/dextrose.

Personally I dislike the sugar rush associated with a traditional post workout drink. In the past I have had issues with headaches and feeling sluggish later. This type of sharp spike and quick low is also associated with a number of medical problems for some. A breakfast cereal containing meal has some glucose, some fructose, some starch, some fast digesting/absorbing protein, and some slow digesting/absorbing protein. It quickly supplies nutrients, yet continues to supply nutrients a couple hours later, so eating a meal 2 hours later is not necessary, as is often recommended when consuming whey/maltodextrin type supplements.

Having a traditional postworkout shake may offer some benefit, but I believe this benefit may be insignificant in terms of muscle gains. In my opinion what is most important is that the meal is eaten as soon as possible after the workout, and the meal contains adequate carbs + protein. I listed my comments about protein shakes from an earlier thread below:

There is little evidence that protein shakes/supplements are superior to whole foods, except possibly near workouts. Bodybuilders do not need to take in huge amounts of protein to build muscle. After a certain point, the extra protein offeres little benefit. 1g/lb of protein is more than enough for the vast majority of natural, amateur weighlifters. Research suggests a minimum closer to 0.8g/lb. Some related studies are linked below:

http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/entrez/q...&dopt=Abstract

There may actually be some small hormonal and anabolic benefits to decreasing protein and keeping a high carb/protein ratio during a bulk. Some realted discussions and articles are linked below:

http://forum.avantlabs.com/index.php?act=ST&f=4&t=1165
    http://www.hypertrophy-specific.com/...ct=ST;f=12;t=7
    http://www.thinkmuscle.com/articles/...on/diet-01.htm

Another possible reason for taking protein shakes is their quick absorbtion and digestion. This may be helpful near a workout, but I feel there is little benefit at other times and whole foods can offer nearly the same benefit. Whey type protein shakes may even be inferior to slower more longer acting whole proteins when taken away from the workout.

Below are some related articles/studies and quotes from them:

http://www.geocities.com/Colosseum/A...4/protein.html
    "However, new research frowns upon the use of whey protein alone. Because whey is so easily digested, new studies (#7 and #8) have shown that casein may have an advantage over whey. The first study showed that whey takes three hours to digest alone and casein six hours. Even though whey has a better amino acid ratio, the casein makes up for this because it is digested more slowly. Because of the speed at which the whey is digested, some of the aminos don’t get used for muscle protein synthesis, but instead they get used for energy. The second study proved that adding carbohydrates to protein only added 5% utilization to the protein. After all this controversy it is difficult to recommend or discourage supplemental protein. ...

For a serious athlete it might be good to ingest some whey or egg hydrolysate protein immediately after a workout because, even if some aminos are used for energy, some muscle repairing aminos will quickly stop the destruction working out has created. However, for the average individual or even a moderate athlete whole foods should supply plenty of adequate protein and negate any need for supplements. Whole foods can also supply extra benefits such as vitamins and minerals. Consumers should remember that supplemental proteins are all taken from whole food sources and that if one eats certain whole foods, the same value protein will be obtained."

http://www.femalemuscle.com/library/weekly/aa101399.htm
    ". Even in considering post-workout nutrition, there is still little proof that a liquid protein-carb complex will actually produce better muscular growth than whole foods, as long as complete whole food protein foods and complex carbohydrates are consumed immediately after the training session and every three waking hours for a period of 24 hours thereafter. "

Last edited by aka23; 09-28-2003 at 01:47 PM.

Gonnabebig Member JuniorMint6669's Avatar
    Awesome info aka. You never cease to amaze me with your wealth of knowledge, and your willingness to share it. Thanks. I really dont know what else to say besides that, except again,

Thursday’s Training Log

Sleep
    I slept approximately 4 hours using 20mg Restoril, then took a 1.5 hour nap after Meal 3.

Weights, Pull Day
    • Gripless Shrugs (in standing calf raise) – 350x15 (+1R), Stack (400)x13 (+1R), Stack+40 (440)x11 (+1R)
    • One-armed Dumbbell Row – 105x7, 95x9
      This is the second time I have done dumbbell rows with my right arm in about 7 weeks. This is 5lb more than last time, but far below my PR of 140x6. I am starting out with light weights, while focusing on form and doing slow, controlled movements. Next time I will do a set with 110, which is the heaviest dumbbell in my gym.
    • One-armed LifeCircuit Row102(up)/142(down) x 7 (+2lb/3lb), 96(up)/134(down) x 9 (+2R)
      I set eccentric (down) weight at 40% greater than concentric weight (up).
    • One-armed Hammer Strength Pulldown2plates+10 per side x8 (New), 2p+15 x9 (+5lb)
      I switched from Cybex Dual Axis Pulldowns to HS Pulldowns because gains were slowing down. I am disappointed that I needed to reduce the weight by 50lb when switching machines. I expect to make gains quickly as I get used to the new movement.
    • Seated Curls – Warmup Set, 50x6 (+2R), 45x9(+1R)
      This was my second time doing standard curls with my right hand. I usually do concentration curls instead.
    • One-armed Dumbbell Upright Row60x7 (+5lb), 55x9 (+2R)
      I am experimenting with new side deltoid exercises since I have exceeded the stack on the lat raise machine. This is my second time doing dumbbell upright rows with my right arm.
    • One-armed Rear Lateral Raise Machine - Stack+20 (270) x15 (New)
      Stack+20 is as high as I can safely go on this machine. I tried doing slower reps while keeping my elbow at a higher angle to make the exercise more challenging. I am calling this a new exercise because of this difference in movement.
    • One-armed Cable Row to Shoulders with Elbows Out70x7 (+5lb)
      I am experimenting with new rear deltoid exercises since I cannot go any higher on the machine

Cardio
    Cycling, Low Intensity, Long Duration
    My legs were feeling sore after yesterdays HIIT, so I did a low intensity active recovery day.

Diet
    • 3700-3800 calories
    • Snack 1 – Large bowl oatmeal, 1 package broccoli, 1-2 oz turkey breast, a few peanuts
    • Snack 2 - Oatmeal, 1-2 oz snapper fillet, a few peanuts
    • Snack 3 - Air-popped popcorn, 1-2 oz turkey breast
    • Meal 1 - Large bowl Shredded Wheat with skim milk and cut up banana, small serving turkey breast
    • Snack 4 - Peach
    • Meal 2 - Large bowl black beans mixed with brown rice, sweet potato, small serving turkey breast, a few peanuts
    • Meal 3 - Large bowl oatmeal, canned tuna, brown rice, apple, 1 package green beans, a few peanuts
    • Meal 4 – Organic Oats cereal with skim milk, 1 package brussel sprouts, 1 ear corn, grapes, 1-2 oz turkey breast

Supplements
    2g flax oil, 3g fish oil
    Last edited by aka23; 09-28-2003 at 01:09 PM.

Wow... awesome battery of links!

I've felt that I was on the right track with my macros... I'm cutting, and taking in a minimum of 130 g of protein and an average of 2200 calories. Which gives less than 25% protein most of the time. Yet, I doubt my body could use any more than that.
    Last edited by Scott S; 09-28-2003 at 01:41 PM.

Juniormint6669 and Scott S,

I am glad the information was appreciated. I feel that there is a lot of confusion and misinformation about the benefits of protein and protein supplements.

Very interesting, I've heard alot of talk lately about the benefits of low(er) protein levels for active persons. Everyone is different though, and more then one thing can probably work for an individual. I've only done 2 "bulking phases", with the rest of my time being spent not having sufficient funds or time or whatever to comsume massive calories. The one where I consumed massive amounts of protein (probaly about 2x grams per lb of bodyweight) I had far better results with then with a considerably high level of carbohydrates. I think it has something to do with nitrogen retention levels effecting protein synthesis or something. I am hardly a diet guru, sorry, I havent researched diet in months, I'll go check some things out and we can chat some more about this.
    Pup, in reference to me: "he's like Budiak...but worse"

Budiak: "Statistically I've gained almost an inch on my arms...but thats just theory, and we know what theory gets us. Thats right. Communism."

BigChaseyChase: "Cutting, there will not be!"

sir millard mulch: "I could probably punch some chick really hard at this point"

Galileo - "Someday maybe I'll be able to use the big boy weights like RG570."

RG570,

There have been several studies comparing weightlifting results with diets containing different protein levels. One that I linked to in my post (http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/entrez/q...&dopt=Abstract) found equivalent "strength (voluntary and electrically evoked) and muscle mass [density, creatinine excretion, muscle area (computer axial tomography scan), and biceps N content] gains" between diets containing .61g/lb protein and 1.2g/lb protein. Such studies rarely find benefits to going beyond 1g/lb.

However, it is true that everyone is different. A small group of persons has protein needs far beyond that of the average person. There are also other complications such as with inadequate carb or calorie intake larger amounts of protein may be converted to energy, increasing protein requirements. Steroids also increase protein requirements beyond typical levels. It is possible that you are in this group that has larger protein needs, but I think it is more likely that your different results were not related to inadequate protein. They may have been caused by differing calorie balance, different levels of other nutrients, different training, insulin issues, meal timing, pre/post workout nutrition, etc.
    Last edited by aka23; 09-29-2003 at 04:11 AM.

Friday’s Training Log

Sleep
    I took the day off from work to prepare for my meeting, leaving me extra time for sleep. I slept approximately 10 hours using 25mg doxylamine succinate.

Weights
    Session 1: Legs & Lower Back, Low Volume
    • Almost Parallel Squats – Warmup Set, 315x8 (+5lb)
      I almost tipped over while doing the final rep. I plan to remain at 315 until I have more control.
    • 3/4 Squats – 240x9 (+1R)
    • Full Squats with Pause – 190x9 (+1R)
      I will try to increase reps next time.
    • Lunges – 170x10/10
      This was my second time doing forward lunges since the accident. I increased 5lb above last time, but kept the weight below my PR of 180x10/10. I plan to keep the weight low until I feel more comfortable with the movement.

General Comments
    I kept the volume low and stayed several reps from failure on all but the first working set. These lower volume, lower intensity workouts do not leave my legs sore and do not interfere with my cardio as much. I toggle between low and high volume on leg sessions.

Session 2: Injured Arm, To Failure Session, ~15 Reps
    • One-Armed, Dual Axis Pulldown – 95x15 (+30lb)
      I stopped a few reps before failure because the motion was irritating my arm. Before the accident, my PR was 310/2 (/2 for two hands) x 5. Rep calculators say this is ~equivalent to 107x15, which puts me ~89% of preaccident performance. I will update this calculation on my next to failure day, in two weeks.
    • Hammer Strength Low Row – 1 plate +40 per side x13 (+35lb)
      For the first time these rows actually felt challenging. Before the accident, my PR was 215/2 (/2 for two hands) x 7. Rep calculators say this is ~equivalent to 87x13, which puts me ~98% of preaccident performance. This is a major achievement since my back was the largest unused muscle group.
    • Hammer Strength Flat Press – 1 plate +30 per side x15 (+20lb)
      For the first time my arm was not trembling while doing these, but I still do not have 100% ROM. I did not do these shortly before the accident. Shortly after the accident, my PR with my good arm 120x6. Rep calculators say this is ~equivalent to 86x15, which puts me ~87% of preaccident performance.
    • Hammer Strength Incline Press – 1 plate +25 per side x14.5 (+20lb)
      I feel that I had full ROM on the incline presses, while I did not have full ROM on the flat presses. I suspect that my incline press would be ~ the same as my flat press, if I switched the order. Before the accident, my PR was 210/2 (/2 for two hands) x 8. Rep calculators say this is ~equivalent to 82x14, which puts me ~85% of preaccident performance.
    • One-armed Dumbbell Shoulder Press – 45x13 (+7.5lb)
      Doing dumbbell presses to failure was a bad idea. When I neared failure, I did not have enough control of the dumbbell to maintain full stability. I decided to stay a few reps from failure to minimize the risk of further injury. One-armed presses are different enough from the two armed presses that I cannot compare performance.
    • One-armed Lat Raise Machine – 90x14 (+40lb)
      Before the accident, my PR was 175/2 (/2 for two hands) x 2. Rep calculators say this is ~equivalent to 68x14, which puts me at 132% of preaccident performance. Even though I am above preaccident performance, I am still below my right arm.
    • One-armed Rear Lat Raise Machine – 200x19 (+70lb)
      I added 70lb and these still felt easy. I will attempt a set with the stack (250lb) on Sunday . I have a history of making rapid gains on this machine. Before the accident, my PR was 270/2 (/2 for two hands) x 8. Rep calculators say this is ~equivalent to 85x19, which puts me at 235% of preaccident performance. Even though I am so far above preaccident performance, I am still quite a bit below my right arm.
    • Seated Curls – 40x10 (+10lb)
      I stopped due to arm irritation, not failure. I did not do this exercise before the accident, so I cannot compare performance.
    • One-armed Cable Pushdown – 45x20 (+5lb)
      I chose too light a weight for this exercise. I am still getting use to the motion. I did not do this exercise before the accident, so I cannot compare performance.
    (+X lb) = Increment over last session , not a personal best

General Comments
    This was my final day of 15 reps and my first session in which I went to failure. On Sunday, I will drop down to 10 reps, while continuing to increase weights. In two weeks, I will do another to failure workout and retest performance. I ma happy with my strength gains so far. The above calculations suggest that I am 85-98% of preaccident performance on the larger muscle groups, and well above preaccident performance on lats and rear lats. My triceps are my weakest area. I suspect they are at 50-70% of preaccident levels.

Cardio
    Cycling, moderate intensity
    I kept the intensity lower than normal since I did a lot of lifting today. I was 0.5-1% below my distance record. It will be difficult to break this record without increasing the intensity level on the cycling machine.

Diet
    • 3700-3800 calories
    • Snack 1 – Large bowl oatmeal, 1 package broccoli, 1-2 oz snapper fillet, a few peanuts
    • Snack 3 – Nature O’s cereal with skim milk, small serving turkey breast
    • Snack 4 - Air-popped popcorn, 1-2 oz turkey breast
    • Meal 1 - Large bowl black beans mixed with brown rice, sweet potato, small serving turkey breast, banana, a few peanuts
    • Snack 5 - Peach
    • Meal 2 - Large bowl oatmeal, canned tuna, brown rice, apple, 1 package green beans, a few peanuts
    • Meal 3 – Grape Nuts with skim milk, succotash, small serving cantaloupe, 1-2 oz snapper fillet

Supplements
    2g flax oil, 3g fish oil
    Last edited by aka23; 05-12-2004 at 03:35 PM.

So how was the meeting?

Nice squats Aka impressive weights you're hefting there!
    Yup I'm with Fuzz how'd the meeting go?

SELF DELETED
    Last edited by aka23; 11-25-2003 at 05:25 PM.

Yup, probably meet more easy women in Vegas He may use that as a tactic to entice you into running the site Stand firm, even though its fun to
    "We fight our battles, we wage our wars, we settle the score, with honor and blood" - Atreyu

Dontate to my favorite charity!

Saturday’s Training Log

Sleep
    I slept approximately 4.5 hours using 20mg Restoril, then took a 1.5 hour nap after meal 3.

Weights, Push day
    • One-armed Dumbbell Incline Press – Warmup Sets, 85x8 (+2R), 80x10 (+1.5R)
      I have finally exceeded my two-armed PR of 85x7. Next week I will move up to 90lb.
    • Hammer Strength Decline Press3plates+17.5 per side x 7 (+2.5lb ps)
    • Hammer Strength Wide Chest3plates+22.5 per side x 7 (+5lb), 3p+15 x 9 (+1R)
    • Hammer Strength Military Press1plate+42.5 per side x 7 (+2.5lb), 1p+35 x 9 (+1R)
      I will try 2pps next time.
    • One-armed Dumbbell Front Raises - 45x7 (+1R)
      These felt easy. If I can get 8 reps next time, then I will try doing a second set at 50lb.
    • One-armed Dumbbell Skullcrushers – Warmup Set, 55x6 (+1R), 50x11 (+1R)
    • One-armed Triceps Pushdown – Warmup Set, 95x7 (+5lb), 90x9 (+2R)
      These were done on the station with the higher resistance.

General Comments
    This was an excellent workout. I made some good gains, and every working set was a PR. I seem to have my best workouts at early morning hours. I liked how the gym was nearly empty at 6AM on a Saturday.

Cardio
    Running, Medium-->High Intensity / Elliptical Trainer, Intervals
    I did an increasing speed workout on the treadmill followed by two short hill programs on the elliptical trainer. I started at 7.5mph, then increased by 0.5mph every 5 minutes until reaching 10mph, the max speed of the treadmill. I was able to do the full 5 minutes at 10mph. After getting off the treadmill, I did two hill programs on the elliptical trainer with 39-second intervals.

My legs were feeling a bit sore as I started the workout, but the soreness went away as I reached the higher speeds on the treadmill. I like how this workout leaves me out of breath and allows lactate to build up. I feel like I am stressing my cardiovascular ability to its maximum, but I do not feel as beat up the next day as when I do treadmill HIIT.

My workout and HR rate are summarized below. The %MHR refers to the average value within the interval. My HR peaked at ~98%MHR when getting off the treadmill. I have never reached this high HR levels in this increasing speed workout. It rose quickly during the final couple minutes of the 10mph interval, even though the overall average was much lower. My HR was higher than last session during the treadmill intervals, and lower than normal during the Hill programs. I do not understand how I was able to maintain such a high HR rate in the final 2 treadmill intervals without slowing down.
    • 3 minutes -- 4.0 mph (Warmup)
    • 7 minutes -- 7.5 mph -- 76%MHR
    • 5 minutes -- 8.0 mph -- 80%MHR
    • 5 minutes -- 8.5 mph -- 84%MHR
    • 5 minutes -- 9.0 mph -- 87%MHR
    • 5 minutes -- 9.5 mph -- 91%MHR
    • 5 minutes -- 10.0 mph -- 94%MHR
    • Hill Program 1 -- 39 second intervals -- 81-87%MHR
    • Hill Program 2 -- 39 second intervals -- 80-87%MHR

Diet
    • ~3700 calories
    • Snack 1 – Oatmeal, 1 package broccoli, 1-2 oz pollock fillet, a few peanuts
    • Snack 2 - Oatmeal, 1-2 oz pollock fillet, a few peanuts
    • Meal 1 - Large bowl Shredded Wheat with skim milk and cut-up banana, small serving snapper filet
    • Snack 4 – Peach
    • Meal 2 – Grilled chicken sandwich (Kaiser roll, chicken breast, olive oil, and tomato)
    • Meal 3 - Large bowl oatmeal, turkey breast, brown rice, 1 package green beans, apple, a few peanuts
    • Meal 4 – Kashi Heart to Heart cereal with skim milk, 1 ear corn, 1 package peas, 1-2 oz turkey breast, small serving cantaloupe
    Today’s calorie total is far less accurate than normal. I am unsure of the quantities used in the restaurant Meal 2.

Supplements
    3g flax oil, 2g fish oil