The Five Biggest Contradictions in Fitness
Latest Article

The Five Biggest Contradictions in Fitness

It’s no secret that when people contradict themselves, it has the effect of making the flaws in their actions or statements seem glaringly obvious. But what about when WE ourselves get caught contradicting ourselves by someone else?

By: Nick Tumminello Added: January 6th, 2014
More Recent Articles
Contrast Training for Size
By: Lee Boyce
An Interview with Marianne Kane of Girls Gone Strong
By: Jordan Syatt
What Supplements Should I be Taking? By: Jay Wainwright
Bench Like a Girl By: Julia Ladewski
Some Thoughts on Building a Big Pull By: Christopher Mason

Facebook Join Facebook Group       Twitter Follow on Twitter       rss Subscribe via RSS
Page 9 of 161 FirstFirst ... 78910111959109 ... LastLast

Thread: Training Log

Budiak,

I enjoyed Orange County, although I usually prefer a different type of humor. Some of the movie's inaccuracies and cliches were annoying. I can see your point about the social critcism.

RG570,

That is not an appropriate question. She looks fine for her age.
    Last edited by aka23; 05-10-2003 at 09:00 AM.

Yesterday's Training Log

Sleep
    My total sleep for the day is 8 hours. I slept approximately 6.5 hours last night using 25mg doxylamine succinate (OTC sleep aid), then took a 1.5 hour nap after meal 2. The doxylamine succinate was very effective.

Weights
    Rest Day
    My body feels quite sore today. It is worst in my back, my traps, and my pecs. Much of the soreness went away after my nap.

Cardio
    Cycling -- Very low intensity, very long duration
    As I mentioned in another post, my parents arrived an hour early, in the middle of this workout. We agreed to meet a 1/2 hour later, to give me time to complete the workout and clean up. The rest of the workout and the rest of the evening with my parents went well.

Diet
    • 3400-3500 calories
    • Meal 1 - Large bowl Shredded Wheat with skim milk and cut up banana, red snapper fillet, a few peanuts
    • Meal 2 - Large bowl oatmeal, small chicken breast, 1/2 red snapper fillet, brown rice, 1 package green beans, apple, a few peanuts
    • Meal 3 - Grape Nuts with skim milk, 1 package brussel sprouts, 1 ear corn, 1/2 banana
    • Meal 4 - Large bowl black beans mixed with brown rice, sweet potato, red snapper fillet, 1/2 banana, a few peanuts
    • Snack 1 - Oatmeal, 1 package broccoli, a few peanuts
    • Snack 2 - Oatmeal, 1/2 red snapper fillet
    • Snack 3 - Orange

Supplements
    1.3g borage oil, 1g flax oil, 1g fish oil, 1 multivitamin/mineral (no iron)
    Last edited by aka23; 05-10-2003 at 08:09 AM.

Today's Training Log

Sleep
    My total sleep for the day was about 7 hours. I slept approximately 5.5 hours last night, then took a 1.5 hour nap after Meal 1. I used a combination of 10mg Sonata (prescription sleeping aid) and an over the counter sleeping aid with active ingredient 25mg doxylamine succinate. Doxylaminate succinate enhances the effects of hypnotics like Sonata.

Weights
    1/2 Body Pull, Emphasis on Machines
    WG Front Lat Pulldown -- 170x5.5*, 160x8.5*
    WG Rear Lat Pulldown -- 190x6.5*, 180x8*
    Compound Row -- 170x8*, 160x9.5*
    Iso Low Row -- 150x6*, 140x9*
    Seated Bicep Machine -- 95x6.5*, 90x8*
    Lateral Raise Machine -- 105x9*
    Rear Lateral Raise Machine -- 100x12N, 130x10N
    Lower Back Extension -- 220x15*
    Ab Machine -- 200x8*, 190x12*, 180x15*
    Hip Adductus (inner thigh) -- 180x15*

Bold = Largest weight ever used for given exercise
    * = Personal Best -- Record number of reps at a given weight
    N = New Exercise -- No basis for personal best comparison

I feel that this was an excellent workout, and I made decent gains on all exercises. All sets were personal bests or record maximums. My extra sleep over the past 2 days may be related to my improved performance in this workout. I added 20lb to my maximum on lower back extension. I added 10lb to my maximum on the lat pulldowns, iso-low row, hip adductus, and ab machine. I added 5lb to my maximum on the lateral raise machine.

I switched several of the exercises in this workout. My calves and hamstrings were feeling a bit sore, so I moved them to Sunday's workout. I think they still have not fully recovered from Thursday night's HIIT. I replaced them with the lateral raise from Sunday's workout and the rear lateral raise. The rear lateral raise machine is a new execise. I added it to emphasise my posterior deltoids. Next week I will have a better idea how much weight to use.

Cardio
    Cycling, medium intensity
    I plan to do two hill programs (interval training) followed by some cycling at a fixed level, like I did last week. I will edit this post and report how it goes.

I did a 90sec interval program, a 60sec interval program, and then a fixed level. Overall, it went well. I probably should have done a higher intensity on second interval and the fixed level.

Diet
    • 3500-3600 calories
    • Meal 1 - Large bowl Shredded Wheat Cereal with skim milk and cut banana, red snapper fillet, a few peanuts
    • Meal 2 - Large bowl black beans mixed with brown rice, sweet potato, 1/2 snapper fillet, grapes, a few peanuts
    • Meal 3 - Large bowl oatmeal, canned tuna, brown rice, 1 package green beans, pear, a few peanuts
    • Meal 4 - Large bowl Grape Nuts with skim milk, succotash, watermelon
    • Snack 2 - Oatmeal, 1/2 snapper fillet
    • Snack 3 - Banana
    I need to get to the supermarket tomorrow. I am out of poultry, bananas, and a couple other foods that I frequently eat.

Supplements
    1g flax oil, 2g fish oil
    Last edited by aka23; 05-11-2003 at 03:26 AM.

Originally posted by aka23

RG570,

That is not an appropriate question. She looks fine for her age.
    Pup, in reference to me: "he's like Budiak...but worse"

Budiak: "Statistically I've gained almost an inch on my arms...but thats just theory, and we know what theory gets us. Thats right. Communism."

BigChaseyChase: "Cutting, there will not be!"

sir millard mulch: "I could probably punch some chick really hard at this point"

Galileo - "Someday maybe I'll be able to use the big boy weights like RG570."

Weekly Goal Update

Weight -- 166.5lb (+ 1.0lb)

Median Body Fat -- 3.9% (- 0.2%)
    Lowest Formula -- 2.4% (JP-3, chest, abdomen, thigh)
    Highest Formula -- 4.8% (L-3, triceps, abdomen, subscapular) & (FS-4, triceps, axilla, abdomen, subscapular)

My goal is to be 170lb and 5% body fat. This week my body weight increased 1.0lb to 166.5lb. My chest skinfold measure decreased by 0.5 mm, causing my median body fat measure to decrease by 0.2%.

I listed 166.5 lb as my weight, but the actual weight could be 166.5 +/- 0.5lb. I weigh myself before and after my two weekend workouts at the gym. This week the measurements varied quite a bit more than normal, probably due to water weight. The actual measures are below.

Before Workout Sat -- 167.0
    After Workout Sat -- 167.5
    Before Workout Sun -- 166.5
    After Workout Sun -- 166.0

I attached a current picture in a similar pose as last week. The picture does not look as lean as last week around the rib cage and obliques, yet the skinfolds measures show a small decrease. I checked the skinfolds many times, and the measures are consistent. I suspect the difference is related to taking the picture in a slightly different pose (on exhale?) and/or water retention. My May 4th picture (last week) is linked below for comparison. If I find some time, I may try to take a picture in an identical pose and I may add a leg shot, as RG570 suggested last week.

EDIT: I retook the picture and updated the attachment on this post. Persons who viewed it earlier would need to press refresh on their browsers or use the link in the later post. I think this picture more closely resembles last week's picture than the earlier one.

Skinfold Measures
    Biceps -- 2 mm
    Triceps -- 2 mm
    Chest -- 2.5 mm (- 0.5mm)
    Axilla -- 3 mm
    Abdomen -- 4 mm
    Thigh -- 4 mm
    Supraliiac -- 4 mm
    Subscapular -- 8 mm

[img]images/attach/jpg.gif[/IMG]Attachment: May 4th Picture (Last Week)
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Last edited by aka23; 05-12-2003 at 03:16 AM.

everything looks bigger but you are right, the oblique/intercoastal area looks a little bit less defined, as does your tricep. all though you abs look much sharper. your arms also appear slightly larger. i would like very much to see a leg shot AKA, keep up the good work.
    Last edited by RG570; 05-11-2003 at 07:31 PM.

Budiak: "Statistically I've gained almost an inch on my arms...but thats just theory, and we know what theory gets us. Thats right. Communism."

sir millard mulch: "I could probably punch some chick really hard at this point"

Originally posted by RG570
    i would like very much to see a leg shot AKA, keep up the good work.
    Thanks. I have attatched a leg shot to this post.

Originally posted by aka23
    If I find some time, I may try to take a picture in an identical pose.
    I retook the picture and have attached it to this post.

legs looking quite cut up, but it seems out of proportion with your upper body. I know staying uber-lean is one of your top priorities, but if you cut down on the cardio for a while and kept you calories the same i bet your legs would increase in size by a substantial amount, and that would certainly help you get up to 170, and above.

If your gains keep coming at this rate do you plan on going higher than 170? I mean if you are losing/maintaining bf I think you should keep gaining. Still looking ripped

Congrats on the gains

Originally posted by bradley
    If your gains keep coming at this rate do you plan on going higher than 170? I mean if you are losing/maintaining bf I think you should keep gaining. Still looking ripped
    i totally agree

why stop a good thing?
    "Eat until it hurts dammit! Then eat more. Youll get used to it. I think its like sex for a chick. Sure it hurts the first time, but after a couple rides it just goes in like a glove." -clvmike19

"... chicks are like smarties. They're different colors but each share the same deliciousness. Its just a matter of deciding if you'll save the red ones for last or eat a bunch of different ones in the same handful." -wibble

legs looking quite cut up, but it seems out of proportion with your upper body. I know staying uber-lean is one of your top priorities, but if you cut down on the cardio for a while and kept you calories the same i bet your legs would increase in size by a substantial amount, and that would certainly help you get up to 170, and above.
    I used to feel like my legs were large. I suppose it is more related to my bone structure than my actual leg size. I think I have a relatively large hip, as opposed to the classic male mesomorph V-shape. I agree that I do not have wide quads like many bodybuilders do. I am not sure if I would want to look that way.

I have been making good gains on most of my leg exercises. I set a new record maximum nearly every time I work my quads, calves, or inner thighs. I think there has been a noticeable increase in leg circumference in the time that I have kept this journal, more so than for most of my body parts. Although I have not really been focusing on hypertrohpy for the legs, as I sometimes do sets of 10 or 15.

You bring up an interesting point about cardio and leg size. Two ways in which cardio might hinder leg hypertrohpy are overtraining and muscle fiber changes. Running, HIIT, and other high impact work can easily overtrain the legs, which could hinder gains. I do not think this has been a major problem for me since I have been making good gains.

It is my understanding that slow/fast twitch fiber ratios are for the most part genetically determined. However, there is a certain type of fast twitch fiber that can act as either slow or fast twitch, depending on training. So in this regards, training can effect whether certain fibers act as fast twitch or slow twitch. In resistance training that includes eccentric and concentric contractions, both types of twich fibers tend to hypertrophy. But fast twitch fibers tend to hypertrophy first and to a greater extent. I am not sure how much and what type of training would bring about the above effects, but I would be interested in learning more about it.
    Last edited by aka23; 05-12-2003 at 09:46 AM.

Congrats on the gains
    Originally posted by GhettoSmurf
    i totally agree

why stop a good thing?
    Thanks. My goals are looking very practical at this point. 170 at 5% fat is 161.5lb lean body and 8.5lb fat. I need to gain 1.5lb muscle and 2lb fat to attain this ratio. If progress continues as it has been in recent weeks, I will probably be under 5% when I hit 170lb.

At that point, I plan to revaluate my goals. I may want to continue gaining, or I may want to maintain my weight. I am satisfied with my appearance and do not want to be extremely large. It would be nice to have some more upper body strength/size, but I do not want to sacrifice my running when doing so. I have already exceeded the optimal weight for middle & long distance runners that are my height, and I am nearing the optimal weight for sprinters.
    Last edited by aka23; 05-12-2003 at 06:36 PM.

Nice progress aka. Lookin' hella lean. Have you got any back shots?

Originally posted by Mik
    Nice progress aka. Lookin' hella lean. Have you got any back shots?
    Thanks for the compliments. I take all of the pictures by photographing the reflection in my bathroom mirror. This setup prevents me from taking pictures of my back, or even getting a good look at my back. The skinfolds on my back (subscapular) are twice as high as any other part of my body, so my back is probably one of my least impressive angles.

Yesterday's Training Log
    This is the training log for Sunday, May 11th

Sleep
    My total sleep for the day was about 7 hours. I slept approximately 5.5 hours, then took a 1.5 hour nap after Meal 1. I used the same combination of Sonata and doxylamine succinate (sleeping aids) as last night.

Weights
    1/2 Body Workout
    Incline Bench Press -- 170x6*, 160x7
    Machine Bench Press -- 210x6*, 200x8
    Pec Deck Fly -- 130x7*, 120x7.5
    Military Press Machine -- 170x7*, 160x9*
    Triceps Pressdown -- 95x5, 90x8
    Standing Calf Raise -- 330x10*, 340x8*
    Seated Leg Curl -- 100x9*, 110x8*
    Incline Leg Press -- 460x8*, 440x12*
    Leg Extension -- 140x8*, 135x10*

Bold = Largest weight ever used for given exercise
    * = Personal Best, Record number of reps at a given weight

Most sets were personal bests or record maximums. I added 20lb to my maximum on calf raise. I added 10lb to my maximum on bench press, military press, and leg press. I added 5lb to my maximum on the Incline Press and Leg Extension. I have not done the seated leg curl in a while, and do not remember my previous maximum. It was at least 20lb lower. I feel that I had excellent gains on the military press and leg exercises. I was able to increase weights while maintaining reps. I was hoping for better gains on the peck deck fly, and I had no gains on the triceps pressdown.

I am going to restructure this workout next week. I dislike the triceps pressdown and have not been making much progress with it. I may replace it with a close grip bench press, or I may drop it all together. It seems like this is too many sets and too many body parts. I think I am going to combine a portion of this workout at the gym with Thursday’s freeweight push day at home. Perhaps I will do all my chest work on Sunday at the gym, and all my triceps work on Thursday at home. I may move the calf raise and hamstrings back to Saturday. I would like to continue to workout my deltoids and legs twice per week since I have been making excellent gains with this approach.

Cardio
    Eliptical Trainer, medium-high intensity
    I spent the day with my parents walking around the Wild Animal Park is Escondido, CA. This walking up/down hills combined with my leg work in the morning left my calves sore. I switched from my usual running to the eliptical trainer since the elipical trainer is not weight bearing and puts much less stress on the calves.

This is the first time I have ever used the eliptical trainer for more than ½ hour in a row. I did about an hour with a heart rate near 150-155 (~80% MHR) on a random setting. The workout went well. I was within 2% of my distance record for both the first and second ½ hour.

Diet
    • 3400-3500 calories
    • Meal 1 - Large bowl Nature O's, pollock fillet, orange, a few peanuts
    • Meal 2 - Large bowl black beans mixed with brown rice, sweet potato, pollock fillet, orange, a few peanuts
    • Meal 3 - Large bowl oatmeal, canned tuna, brown rice, 1 package green beans, a few peanuts
    • Meal 4 - Large bowl Life Cereal with skim milk, 1 package peas, orange
    • Snack 2 - Oatmeal, 1/2 pollock fillet
    • Snack 3 - Banana
    • Snack 4 - Orange, Pear
    I mentioned earlier that my parents and I spent the day at The Wild Animal Park. The trip took longer than expected, and I only packed fruit as snacks. This fruit made up Snack #3 and #4. There was a 5.5 hour window between Meal 2 and Meal 3 without any significant source or protein. Next time I go on such a trip, I will be better prepared.

Some of the meals also look different because I was running out of food and needed to go to the supermarket. I was out of several types of meat and fruit.

Supplements
    2g flax oil, 1g fish oil
    Last edited by aka23; 05-13-2003 at 12:24 AM.

Selfproclaimed Fancy Pants wibble's Avatar
    Awesome job on the PR's! You're looking ripped as hell too, you shouldn't have any problems at all getting that last bit of weight on, you're real close to your goal! Congrats!

i agree, you're doing awsome aka. everytime i check in here you have a new PR. keep it up~!~
    "Eat until it hurts dammit! Then eat more. Youll get used to it. I think its like sex for a chick. Sure it hurts the first time, but after a couple rides it just goes in like a glove." -clvmike19

"... chicks are like smarties. They're different colors but each share the same deliciousness. Its just a matter of deciding if you'll save the red ones for last or eat a bunch of different ones in the same handful." -wibble

wibble and GhettoSmurf,

Thanks for the compliments. I try to increase the weight or reps by small amounts with every workout, so I frequently make PR's. My legs, abs, shoulders, and back have been progressing well. However, my chest and arms seem to be gaining more slowly.

Yes, I am quickly approaching my goal. At my current pace of 0.8lb per week, I will reach my goal next month. I am quite satisfied with the way things have been going so far.
    Last edited by aka23; 05-12-2003 at 11:55 PM.

Good to see your are progressing with the bench press. I was curious as to whether you do all your cardio at the gym or do you have any cardio equipment at your home?

Glad to see you are happy with your progress
    Great journal by the way - wish I could be more verbose (in a good way)!
    Last edited by Coke; 05-13-2003 at 08:59 AM.

Good to see your are progressing with the bench press. I was curious as to whether you do all your cardio at the gym or do you have any cardio equipment at your home?
    I have been progressing on the machine bench press, flat DB press, incline BB press, and incline DB press. I have not attempted the flat BB bench press in a couple weeks. The flat BB bench press is the exercise where I have had the most problems. My strategy is to focus on these related exercises, doing some of the DB sets with very large ROM (below nipple). I will also increase my tricep/deltoid strength. After a couple weeks, I will try the flat BB bench press again. Hopefully, I will finally have some gains at that time.

I have two old exercise bikes at home. One is a Vision Fitness and one is a Life Cycle. I have only used the Vision Fitness for the past five years because the magnetic resistance is quieter. I usually do my running and eliptical trainer work at the gym. Every now and then, I run along the beach.

I really enjoy doing cardio at home. It is nice to have no travel time, be able to turn on the TV with the volume way up, ride with my shirt off, set the temperature exactly how I like it, and have quick access to showers + postworkout meal. Having a staionary cycle is also useful for warming up when lifting at home.
    Last edited by aka23; 05-13-2003 at 01:43 PM.

Originally posted by CoCoa
    Glad to see you are happy with your progress
    Great journal by the way - wish I could be more verbose (in a good way)!
    Cocoa,

Thanks for the compliments on the journal. Yes, I am satisfied with my progress. In the 5 weeks that I have kept this journal, I have gained more than 4lb of muscle and lost a small bit of fat. All of my lifts have had significant improvements except for my bench press (incline press & flat DB press have improved). Nearly all forms of my cardio have improved as well.
    Last edited by aka23; 05-13-2003 at 03:55 PM.

the online journal is a powerful training aid

the online journal is a powerful training aid
    I agree. When I workout at home, I check my journal between each exercise. I look at the weight used, how many reps I did, and any relevant comments. I then mentally set a goal for a certain reps and weight. I have started a similar approach at the gym. The online journal has helped me be more consistent with my diet. In addition some readers have provided valuable suggestions, and printing my results makes me more motivated to succeed.

There are a number of other important factors besides the journal. This is my most focussed attempt at bulking. I have never eaten as much as I do now. I suspect that my lack of calories has limited my gains. I also started some new more effective training routines at approximately the same time I started this journal. These new routines include a 2x per week split, more interval training, and less cycling on back to back days.
    Last edited by aka23; 05-13-2003 at 07:06 PM.