The Five Biggest Contradictions in Fitness
Latest Article

The Five Biggest Contradictions in Fitness

It’s no secret that when people contradict themselves, it has the effect of making the flaws in their actions or statements seem glaringly obvious. But what about when WE ourselves get caught contradicting ourselves by someone else?

By: Nick Tumminello Added: January 6th, 2014
More Recent Articles
Contrast Training for Size
By: Lee Boyce
An Interview with Marianne Kane of Girls Gone Strong
By: Jordan Syatt
What Supplements Should I be Taking? By: Jay Wainwright
Bench Like a Girl By: Julia Ladewski
Some Thoughts on Building a Big Pull By: Christopher Mason

Facebook Join Facebook Group       Twitter Follow on Twitter       rss Subscribe via RSS
Page 91 of 161 FirstFirst ... 41818990919293101141 ... LastLast
Results 2,251 to 2,275 of 4025

Thread: Training Log

clvmike19,
    It has been my experience that developing critical thinking and problem solving skills in college has been far more useful than learning data that can be memorized.

Bruteman,
    I appreciate the support. I am also glad that my left arm is finally catching up to my right.

akak glad youre heall d up budyd.....youre one smart perosn...now all tou nedd to do wis pimp.~!
    " ...if all else fails, just whip out those b'normous biceps!!!!!!! Teh lad33z <3 teh str3ngth!"- McIrish

"An Irishman has an abiding sense of tragedy which sustains him through temporary periods of joy..."

"When a man is in love, is jealous, and has been whipped by the Inquisition, he is no longer himself..."- Voltaire

clvmike19,

Thanks for the support. There is a good chance that I will soon be taking a medication with common side effects of increased libido and increased confidence. These side effects might also effect or improve my relationships with women. I will probably write a more detailed explanation next week.

Selfproclaimed Fancy Pants wibble's Avatar
    A drug with increased confidence? I sure could use a few doses of that.

me too! Whats it called?
    " ...if all else fails, just whip out those b'normous biceps!!!!!!! Teh lad33z <3 teh str3ngth!"- McIrish

"An Irishman has an abiding sense of tragedy which sustains him through temporary periods of joy..."

"When a man is in love, is jealous, and has been whipped by the Inquisition, he is no longer himself..."- Voltaire

wibble and clvmike19,

Increased confidence is not an uncommon side effect for many drugs and medications. Two well known examples are alcohol and SSRIs . One could also make an argument for amphetamines, benzodiazepines, and many other types.

Training Log

Sleep
    I slept approximately 5 hours using 25mg Restoril (benzo. sleeping aid).

Weights
    Pull Day, Emphasis Lats/Biceps
    • Chin-ups (underhand grip) – Warmup Set, BW+75 x 6 (+0.5R), BW+60 x 9 (+0.5R)
      I have recently started alternating between pull-ups and chin-ups each week. I will move up to BW+80 next time.
    • EZ-bar Curls – 130x5 (+0.5R), 122.5x10
      I suspect that my gains were slower than last week because my biceps get more worn out while doing chin-ups than pull-ups.
    • Seated Hammer Curls – Right: 72.5x7 (+1R), 67.5x12 (+1R); Left: 70x5 (+2.5lb), 65x9 (+2R)
      I am pleased to make small gains on these curls.
    • One-armed Dumbbell Rows – Warmup Set, 120x8/8, 135x8/5, 130x8/8
      Over the past few weeks, I have been using lighter weights than usual for DB rows and have been focusing on form. I finally was able to do all left arm sets without leaning backwards. I plan to continue to do more form work in future sessions.
    • ~20 degree Lateral Raises – Warmup Set, 55x11/11 (+1R/+2R), 60x9/9 (+1R/+2R)
      I have finally reached the point where the strength on my right and left sides seems symmetrical. In previous weeks, I did an extra rep with my right arm. I plan to increment to 62.5lb next time.
    Bold = Largest weight ever used for given exercise
    (+X lb) = Personal Best -- added X lbs to record maximum
    (+X R) = Personal Best -- added X reps to max at given weight
    (+X R) = Personal best for left arm, below overall personal best

General Comments
    None.

Cardio
    Cycling, Low Intensity, Long Duration
    I did a low intensity active recovery day.

Diet
    • ~3700 calories
    • Snack 1 – Oatmeal, 10 oz package broccoli, 1-2 oz turkey breast, a few peanuts
    • Snack 2 - Oatmeal, 1-2 oz turkey breast, a few peanuts
    • Snack 3 – Air-popped popcorn, ~1 oz turkey breast
    • Meal 1 – Shredded Wheat with skim milk and cutup banana, small serving snapper fillet
    • Meal 2 - Large bowl black beans mixed with brown rice, sweet potato, grapes, small serving turkey breast, a few peanuts
    • Meal 3 - Large bowl oatmeal, chicken breast, brown rice, apple, 10 oz package green beans, a few peanuts
    • Meal 4 – Organic Oats cereal with skim milk, 10 oz package brussel sprouts, 1 ear corn, 1-2 oz turkey breast

Supplements
    2g flax oil, 3g fish oil

Nice workout aka, your left arm is progressing nicely!

wibble,

Thanks. I am satisfied with my left arm gains in that workout. I was hoping for more on some of the two-armed exercises.

Training Log

Sleep
    I slept approximately 5.5 hours using 25mg Restoril (benzodiazepine sleeping aid).

Weights: Session #1
    Quads & Glutes
    • Deeper Squats – Warmup Sets, 355x5 (+1R), 335x8 (+1R)
      The “deeper” indicates a change in depth. I descended to parallel or below parallel for all reps. Neither set was as close to failure as last week. I was surprised by how high my HR was after the first set of only five reps.
    • Full Squats with Pause at Bottom – 300x4 (+0.5R), 280x7 (+1R)
      The first set was fairly easy, but I nearly got stuck on the final rep of the second set, like last week. I ascended extremely slowly during this final rep.
    • Deep Lunges – 250 x 6/6 (+5lb)
      My lower back did not bother as much as last week during these lunges or the earlier squat sets. I measured my HR at 165 after finishing this set. This is significantly higher than previous weeks. I noticed that longer steps that emphasize my glutes feel much easier than shorter ones that emphasize my quads.

Weights: Session #2
    Hamstrings & Abs
    • Lying Leg Curls – ##x9 (+5lb), ##x9 (+5lb)
      All sets were done using 110lb of plates with my home gym attachment. I did not officially list weights above since this attachment is not comparable to any gym machine. For the first time, I was not able to maintain 10 reps with a 5lb increase in weight. These leg curls felt more challenging than last week. My quads were quite tender from my earlier workout. My quads quickly became irritated when pressing against the bench to do these leg curls.
    • Incline Sit-ups with plates over head – BW+50 x12 (+5lb), BW+50 x12 (+5lb)
      Holding 50lb of plates over my head was very awkward. I may switch to dumbbells next week.
    • Twisting Crunch – BW+35 x 12/12 (+2R/+2R)
      I am experimenting with substitutes for Russian twists since it is getting awkward to hold heavy dumbbells.
    • Vertical Leg Raises and a few other exercises in a drop set style
    • Thick Barbell Static Holds – 275 x 40 seconds (+12 seconds), 295 x 24 seconds (+20lb)
      I am calling this a “thick barbell” because the barbell in my home gym is thicker than all of the ones at my membership gym. The thickness and smoothness makes it especially difficult to grip. Both sets were to failure (until barbell slipped out of my hands). I was pleasantly surprised by the size of my gains over last week.

General Comments
    I split this workout into two short sessions again for convenience. I keep volume low in this workout to minimize interference with tomorrow’s running.

Cardio
    Rest Day
    I have changed my training schedule so this is a rest day instead of a moderate intensity cycling day.

Diet
    • ~3600 calories
    • Snack 1 – Oatmeal, 10oz package broccoli, 1-2 oz turkey breast, a few peanuts
    • Snack 2 – Oatmeal, 1-2 oz turkey breast, a few peanuts
    • Snack 3 – Air-popped popcorn, ~1 oz turkey breast
    • Meal 1 – Large bowl Shredded Wheat with skim milk and cutup banana, small snapper fillet
    • Meal 2 - Large bowl black beans mixed with brown rice, sweet potato, small serving turkey breast, small serving oatmeal, large orange, a few peanuts
    • Meal 3 - Large bowl oatmeal, chicken breast, brown rice, grapes, 10 oz package green beans, a few peanuts
    • Meal 4 – Nature O’s cereal with skim milk, 10 oz package brussel sprouts, 1-2 oz turkey breast

Supplements
    2g flax oil, 3g fish oil
    Last edited by aka23; 02-29-2004 at 11:19 PM.

Hell I know all about the beer confidence. Im teh master of that

Leg day is strong once again and only getting stronger.....I wonder if Ill ever squat 355.

Nice leg day Aka those hack squats appear to have helped out your regular squats a bit....nice work man!
    Last edited by Wikked1; 03-01-2004 at 06:11 AM.

Great efforts bro, it is a pleasure to watch how you manage to stay on the rise!

Awesome workout aka! You're legs are insane! Nice work on all the increases!

I've done a quick search but can't quite find it. Can you outline your lifting routine? Do you often lift twice a day or is that just a rare occassion?
    What is elite?
    "Those who work the hardest often complain the least." -anonymous
    Pain is inevitable. Suffering is optional.

clvmike19,
    I was surprised that you did not think of alcohol confidence earlier since you have suggested that I drink to improve my confidence in this journal. If we both continue at our current rate of progress, you will eventually catch up.

Wikked1,
    Thanks. My current routine involves switching between two sets of exercises every 4 days. Leg Day A includes squats, lunges, and leg curls. Leg Day B includes SLDLs, hack squats, and leg presses. I think that both sets of exercises assist each other, although on many exercises I would probably make faster gains if I did them in both workouts.

CoCoa and wibble,
    I appreciate the support. I am satisfied with the workout. All working sets were PRs, and I made significant gains on many exercises.

Quote Originally Posted by HomeYield
    I've done a quick search but can't quite find it. Can you outline your lifting routine? Do you often lift twice a day or is that just a rare occassion?
    HomeYield,

I missed your question earlier since we both posted at approximately the same time. This search function appears to not be working correctly. I was not able to find the split information either.

On days when I do two workouts, one is in the morning and the other in the evening. I usually do upper body in the morning and lower body or cardio in the evening. I only do two weight sessions per day in the workout listed above. Squats and lunges can be exhausting. I find that splitting up this session often enhances the later exercises. My current split is listed below:

Day 1 AM: Pull -- Emphasis lats/biceps
    Day 1 PM: Cycling -- Active recovery
    Day 2 AM: Quads -- Emphasis quads/glutes (squats/lunges)
    Day 2 PM: Hamstrings & Abs
    Day 3 AM: Push -- Emphasis incline DB
    Day 3 PM: Treadmill -- Constant speed
    Day 4 AM: Rest
    Day 4 PM: Cycling -- Constant speed
    Day 5 AM: Pull -- Emphasis back
    Day 5 PM: Elliptical Trainer -- Random program
    Day 6 AM: Rest
    Day 6 PM: Legs & Core -- Emphasis SLDL and quads (hack squat/leg press)
    Day 7 AM: Push -- Emphasis bench press
    Day 7 PM: Cycling -- Intervals
    Day 8 AM: Rest
    Day 8 PM: Treadmill -- Intervals (HIIT)
    Repeat...
    Last edited by aka23; 03-01-2004 at 07:38 PM.

Training Log

Sleep
    I slept approximately 5.5 hours without using sleeping aids. I took a 1.5 hour nap after meal 3, so I would be at my best during the evening cardio session.

Weights
    Push Day, Emphasis Incline
    • Dumbbell Incline Press – Warmup Sets, 100x6 (+1R), 95x11 (+1R), 90x9 (Low)
      The “low” indicates that the final set had an extra large ROM. All three sets were 1 rep above last week. However, the third set was not a PR. It ties my PR from a workout when I only did two sets (not worn out from extra set).
    • Dumbbell Incline Flys – 77.5x6 (+2.5lb), 72.5x10 (+4R)
      I had less ROM than most previous weeks with these flyes. As the weight increases, my ROM or the angle of elbows sometimes changes.
    • Seated Dumbbell Shoulder Press – Warmup Set, 82.5x7 (+2.5lb), 77.5x7/6 (Low, +1R)
      I tried kicking the DBs into position today, instead of my usual standing curl with momentum. This kicking method worked surprisingly well. I had no trouble getting the DBs up and plan to use this technique in future sessions. I was disappointed to find that I was able to do an extra rep with my right arm in the final set. It seems that my strength is not quite symmetrical in this movement. Hopefully my strength will be even next week.
    • One-armed Dumbbell Front Raises – Right: 72.5x6 (+1R), 67.5x11 (+1R); Left: 67.5x6 (+2.5lb), 62.5x10 (+3R)
      I did these one arm at a time because of the significant strength difference. I improved on all sets again. I did not feel like I had as good control of the DBs as I did last week.
    • EZ-bar Lying Triceps Extensions – Warmup Set, 120x4, 110x8
      The first set was a 5lb increase over last week. I am disappointed that the second set was a rep below last week. I am still below my preaccident PR of 122.5x6. Triceps extensions are the only exercise I do on a regular basis that is below my preaccident PR.
    • One-armed Reverse Pushdowns – Right: 170x2 (+5lb), 160x8 (+1R); Left: 150x6 (+2R), 140x10 (+1R)
      I did these on the pulldown machine I built. I am listing 2x the weights of the plates attached to the pulley to account for the double pulley on gym machines, making my numbers more comparable to my previous lifts at the gym. I am pleased to finally do reps with 170 after several weeks of failed attempts. I will probably switch these to forward pushdowns next week.
    (+X R) = Personal best for left arm, below overall personal best

General Comments
    This was a good session. I am satisfied with my progress on most exercises. I find it interesting how close my 10+ rep weights are to my ~6 rep weights. For example I can do 100x6 with incline DBs or 95x11. Rep formulas suggest that there should only be a 1 or 2 rep difference between my lifts. I often lift more than such formulas predict with higher rep ranges. Or another way of looking at it is my low rep lifts and 1 rep maxes are significantly less than rep calculators predict.

Cardio
    Running, High Intensity
    I do a leg workout on the day before this cardio session. My hamstrings and glutes were a bit sore from the workout, but far less than previous weeks. This DOMS was greatly reduced after completing my 1.5 hour evening nap.

The gym was nearly deserted this evening. It is usually much busier during this time. I wonder if some popular event that I was not aware of was occurring. The woman who I mentioned last week was there, but we did not interact.

My legs felt great throughout the workout. I had hardly any calf/shin soreness and little DOMS, as stated above. However, my lower back bothered me during the first 1/2 hour of the workout. At some points, it was bad enough that I needed to hold my hand against my lower back. After about a 1/2 hour, it became much less noticeable. Perhaps endorphins were masking the pain. The workout felt easier than usual in a cardiovascular sense, probably because of my extra sleep. I covered 8.5 miles in one hour. This is 0.015 miles more than last week and the longest distance I have run in years.

My workout is summarized below. I did not wear an HR monitor. Instead I took my pulse by hand at several points within the workout. The results of these three measures are included in the summary below. The earlier HR measures were slightly lower than previous in sessions. This lower HR fits with the workout feeling easier than usual.
    • 3 minutes -- 4.0 mph / total 0.20 miles (Warmup)
    • 54 minutes -- 9.0 mph / total 8.30 miles –- after 30 minutes ~85%MHR, after 45 minutes ~88%MHR, ~90%MHR at finish
    • 3 minutes -- slow mph / total 8.50 miles (Cooldown)

Diet
    • ~3600 calories
    • Snack 1 – Oatmeal, 1 package broccoli, 1-2 oz turkey breast, a few peanuts
    • Snack 2 – Oatmeal, 1-2 oz turkey breast, a few peanuts
    • Meal 1 - Large bowl Shredded Wheat with skim milk and cutup banana, small serving snapper fillet
    • Meal 2 - Large bowl black beans mixed with brown rice, sweet potato, small serving turkey breast, orange, a few peanuts
    • Meal 3 - Large bowl oatmeal, chicken breast, brown rice, 1 package green beans, small serving grapes, a few peanuts
    • Meal 4 – Large bowl Kashi Heart to Heart cereal with skim milk, 1 ear corn, 1 package peas, 1-2 oz turkeys breast, small serving grapes
    My diet was almost identical to the last time I did this workout. Only an apple was replaced with a small serving of grapes in the final meal.

Supplements.
    2g flax oil, 3g fish oil
    Last edited by aka23; 03-01-2004 at 11:13 PM.

Wow. Inclines and Front Raises are very strong. Good work.

JEEZ Aka you're getting DAMN STRONG man.....nice work on those inclines! and flyes!!!

Great leg day yesterday. Do you do your lunges stationary or around the gym/home?

Also it's interesting to see you doing static holds, didn't notice that before. I may begin doing these to help with grip on shrugs and when I start deadlifting again.

Very nice workouts! Those lunges would murder me.
    My Journal
    http://wannabebigforums.com/showthread.php?t=119765

I think this is possibly the all-time best response on WBB. - Jorge Sanchez

"you're an animal eat like one damn it!" - Wikked1

"Now we're finally getting to the chicken or the egg question," I grinned. "Did I eat all that food because my size gives me more of an appetite, or did I get to be this big because I've been forcing myself to eat like this for years?"

From A Body Builder is Born

i knew you were a beast but not that kinda of a beast that eats grown men and children.. lilmase

On Auto Pilot:******* Huge Alke's Avatar
    nice pressing aka, Im jealous.....I sill got a way o go to get the centruies on the incline.
    My Journal
    Progress Pic

1RM's
    30MAY03 = 800 Total - Bench 230, Squat 245, Deadlift 325
    22OCT04 = 960 Total - Bench 275, Squat 305, Deadlift 380

Most push-ups in one minute = 102 (BW:195lbs)

Some men see things as they are and say, "Why?" I dream things that never were and say, "Why not?" - George B. Shaw

FOOD is my drug of choice

clvmike19, Wikked1, and Kenn:
    Thanks for the compliments. I think my incline DB press is out of proportion with my bench press. I often increase at a faster rate on with incline presses than flat presses and with DB presses than with BB presses.

Exnor,
    I do stationary lunges in my home gym. My movement is similar to the picture at http://www.exrx.net/WeightExercises/...s/BBLunge.html , but with larger steps ("deep lunges"). There is not enough room for me to do walking lunges. I place two benches on opposite sides of me when stepping forward, so they would catch the barbell on failure. Nevertheless, I fear injuring myself by falling forward or backwards while doing lunges.

I started doing barbell static holds two weeks ago. I switched from DB to BB static holds because my grip was no longer limiting me on DB exercises. My grip is only a factor with SLDLs. I think static holds would also help with grip for deadlifts, shrugs, or other such exercises.

cphafner,
    Thanks. Lunges have been one of my fastest improving exercises. I was only doing sets with 100lb when I started this journal 11 months ago.
    Last edited by aka23; 03-02-2004 at 11:22 AM.

Nice workout! Your DB inclines and your front raises are crazy! I'd hate to see how strong you'd be if you went on a full blown bulk.