The Five Biggest Contradictions in Fitness
Latest Article

The Five Biggest Contradictions in Fitness

It’s no secret that when people contradict themselves, it has the effect of making the flaws in their actions or statements seem glaringly obvious. But what about when WE ourselves get caught contradicting ourselves by someone else?

By: Nick Tumminello Added: January 6th, 2014
More Recent Articles
Contrast Training for Size
By: Lee Boyce
An Interview with Marianne Kane of Girls Gone Strong
By: Jordan Syatt
What Supplements Should I be Taking? By: Jay Wainwright
Bench Like a Girl By: Julia Ladewski
Some Thoughts on Building a Big Pull By: Christopher Mason

Facebook Join Facebook Group       Twitter Follow on Twitter       rss Subscribe via RSS
Page 99 of 161 FirstFirst ... 4989979899100101109149 ... LastLast
Results 2,451 to 2,475 of 4025

Thread: Training Log

Selfproclaimed Fancy Pants wibble's Avatar
    Nice workout aka, you're bouncin back with lots of gains this time! Shakira = hot.

Quote Originally Posted by aka23
    I had a brief spring break type experience with a woman who resembles Shakira over the weekend.
    Whoa whoa hold up. I know what a "spring break type experience" is... AKA IS A ****ING PIMP AFTER ALL!!
    "We fight our battles, we wage our wars, we settle the score, with honor and blood" - Atreyu

Dontate to my favorite charity!

wibble,
    Thanks. This workout was up to my usual standards. It seems that my poor workout earlier in the week was an anomaly.

Y2A,
    When typing my response I thought of the phrase "spring break type experience" because the events occurred during the middle of spring break, and she initially thought that I was a college student on my break. A significant number of college students visit my area during spring break.

Weekend Training Log

Sleep
    I slept approximately 10.5 hours using 25mg doxlaymine succinate (OTC antihistamine sleeping aid).

Weights: Session #1
    Quads & Glutes
    • Deeper Squats – Warmup Sets, 345x8 (+3R), 345x7 (+2R)
      The “deeper” indicates a change in depth. I descended to parallel or below parallel for all reps. I have altered my routine to facilitate my lower back recovery. I did sets of 2x~8 in this workout instead of my usual reverse pyramiding. The rep PR gains are somewhat misleading since I am working in a different rep range and comparing to a PR from early February. I have had problems with requiring long rest periods between sets, so I timed my rest periods at 3 minutes during this workout. I probably could have done at least 8 reps in the second set with a minute or two more rest.
    • Full Squats with Pause at Bottom – 285x8 (+2R), 285x8 (+2R)
      The combination of higher reps and shorter rest periods has resulted in an increased HR. I measured my HR above 90%MHR after completing the second set.
    • Deep Lunges – 255 x 7/7 (+1R)
      I switched my usual order and did the lunges with my left leg stepping forward first since I had especially poor control with them last week. I had better control this week, but I had more trouble standing back up than usual. I came very close to failure. The shorter rest periods or increased number of reps in the earlier exercises may have caused this change.
    Bold = Largest weight ever used for given exercise
    (+X lb) = Personal Best -- added X lbs to record maximum
    (+X R) = Personal Best -- added X reps to max at given weight

Weights: Session #2
    Hamstrings & Abs
    • Lying Leg Curls – ###x8 (+5lb), ###x8 (+5lb)
      All sets were done using 125lb of plates with my home gym attachment. I did not officially list weights above since this attachment is not comparable to any gym machine. The final rep or two in the second set may have had incomplete ROM. I plan to drop down to a lighter weight next week.
    • Incline Sit-ups with DBs over head – BW+65 x12 (+5lb), BW+65 x12 (+5lb)
      Holding a 60lb dumbbell over my head became tiring quickly last week, so I tried using a pair of DBs this week. Holding a pair of DBs felt far less awkward than holding a single DB or plates. The change made these sets feel extremely easy. I plan to continue using this method in future sessions.
    • Twisting Crunch – BW+50 x 12/12 (+5lb)
      I am experimenting with substitutes for Russian twists since it is getting awkward to hold heavy dumbbells. All sets of ab exercises went well. I was able to maintain 12 reps with an increase in weight.
    • Vertical Leg Raises and a few other exercises in a drop set style
    • Thick Barbell Static Holds – SKIPPED
      I skipped static holds because I was running behind schedule.

General Comments
    I split this workout into two short sessions again for convenience. I keep volume low in this workout to minimize interference with tomorrow’s running. As mentioned earlier, I have changed my routine so that I have one heavy low rep leg day, and one lighter high rep leg day each 8 days. This 2x~8 reps squat/lunge workout uses lighter weights than my previous session, which should help my lower back recover. My 3x~5 reps leg press/hack squat workout should help preserve my quad strength while placing less emphasis on my lower back than the squats/lunges. I also decreased rest periods in this workout since the length of these squat/lunge workouts was getting ridiculous. I hope to reach a point where I can nearly maintain performance with ~2 minutes of rest between sets. So far things have been going well. My lower back has not been bothering me recently, and I seem to be adapting to the routine as expected.

Cardio
    Rest Day
    I have changed my training schedule so this is a rest day instead of a moderate intensity cycling day.

Diet
    • ~3600 calories
    • Snack 1 – Oatmeal, 10oz package broccoli, 1-2 oz turkey breast, a few peanuts
    • Snack 2 – Oatmeal, 1-2 oz turkey breast, a few peanuts
    • Meal 1 – Large bowl Nature O’s cereal with skim milk, small snapper fillet
    • Snack 3 – Air-popped popcorn, ~1 oz turkey breast
    • Meal 2 - Large bowl black beans mixed with brown rice, sweet potato, small serving turkey breast, a few peanuts
    • Meal 3 - Large bowl oatmeal, chicken breast, brown rice, banana, 10 oz package green beans, a few peanuts
    • Meal 4 – Nature O’s cereal with skim milk, 10 oz package brussel sprouts, ~2 oz snapper fillet
    I ate less fruit today than I have in many weeks. It may be less fruit than any other day in the journal.

Supplements
    2g flax oil, 3g fish oil
    Last edited by aka23; 03-24-2004 at 09:17 PM.

your leg strength is just awesome.
    My Journal
    http://wannabebigforums.com/showthread.php?t=119765

I think this is possibly the all-time best response on WBB. - Jorge Sanchez

"you're an animal eat like one damn it!" - Wikked1

"Now we're finally getting to the chicken or the egg question," I grinned. "Did I eat all that food because my size gives me more of an appetite, or did I get to be this big because I've been forcing myself to eat like this for years?"

From A Body Builder is Born

i knew you were a beast but not that kinda of a beast that eats grown men and children.. lilmase

I recall posting in a thread that you should shoot for about 200lbs and then I recall you telling me you didn't want to be that big. Your goal was something like 177lbs. Now that you're in the 190 range, what say you?

cphafner,
    Thanks for the compliment. My lower body strength is out of proportion with my strength on most compound upper body exercises, such as the bench press.

galileo,
    In the first post of this journal, I wrote that I was 162.5lb and planning to do a slow bulk to 170lb. That 7.5lb increase was the largest planned bulk I had ever done. I was happy with my current weight and appearance at 162.5lb and did not want to make any drastic changes. At that time, I would have dismissed any suggestions to increase my weight to 190+. After I reached 170lb, I decided to continue bulking. Again I did not want to make any drastic changes and set a new goal for another 7lb increase

It was during this period that you made your suggestion of bulking to 200lb. At that time 200lb sounded excessive. I was not certain that I even wanted to reach 177lb. I planned to modify my goals, if the increased weight caused too much interference with other aspects of performance/cardio or if I was not happy with the changes in my appearance.

As time has gone on, I have slowly gained weight. I have had conflicting thoughts about my weight goals throughout this period. I want to gain strength and upper body mass, but I also want to improve other aspects of fitness and performance including cardiovascular activities like distance running. Increased weight facilitates some goals and hinders others. Perhaps I will be above 200lb later this year. Perhaps not. Again I am uncertain of my goals and more welcome to a small weight change than a large one.
    Last edited by aka23; 03-25-2004 at 02:10 PM.

On Auto Pilot:******* Huge Alke's Avatar
    your leg strength is awesome aka and shows how much dedication you have to the game.

I know how you feel about getting larger, but I think if anyone can maintain aerobic capacity while while bulking it is you. You have already shown that you can gain @30 pounds and still maintain a high level of areobic fitness and low BF. If you keep up this pace you will eventually reach 200+ and still be doing great!

I think it is admirable you have the patience and dedication to bulk at such a slow pace to stay almost picture perfect year round. I myself will have a serious job of cutting to do in another month or so LOL
    My Journal
    Progress Pic

1RM's
    30MAY03 = 800 Total - Bench 230, Squat 245, Deadlift 325
    22OCT04 = 960 Total - Bench 275, Squat 305, Deadlift 380

Most push-ups in one minute = 102 (BW:195lbs)

Some men see things as they are and say, "Why?" I dream things that never were and say, "Why not?" - George B. Shaw

FOOD is my drug of choice

Kenn,
    Thanks. I am in no rush to gain weight and have been eating mostly according to appetite in recent months. My slow rate of weight gain has helped to minimize body fat gains. Your strategy of a more rapid bulk followed by a cut is often a more efficient way of achieving body composition goals, especially when nearing limits of genetic potential.

aka - can you tell me exactly what ingredients are in succotash?
    Height: 5'7"
    Weight: Not Big Enough

“Take things as they are. Punch when you have to punch. Kick when you have to kick.” — Bruce Lee

Leg day looking strong as hell once again. I agree that the workout you had the other day was an anomoly.

Saint Patrick,
    Succotash is a mixture of lima beans and corn. I believe the dish was originally a Native American preparation, and it is more common in the Southeastern states.

wibble,
    I appreciate the support. That was a better than average workout. I find workouts much more enjoyable when I am making noticeable and significant improvements.

Training Log

Sleep
    I slept approximately 10.5 hours using 25mg doxylamine succinate (OTC antihistamine sleeping aid).

Weights
    Push Day, Emphasis Incline
    • Dumbbell Incline Press – Warmup Sets, 102.5x7 (+1R), 97.5x11 (+1R), 92.5x9 (Low, +1R)
      The warmup sets felt especially heavy, yet I was still able to improve. I will probably switch to two “low” extra ROM sets and one regular set next week.
    • Dumbbell Incline Flys – 85x6 (+2.5lb), 80x9 (+3R)
      These were good sets. I increased or maintained reps, with a small increase in weight. As usual, I had less ROM than some of my earlier weeks with these flyes. As the weight increases, my ROM or the angle of elbows sometimes changes. I had especially poor control this week.
    • Seated Dumbbell Shoulder Press – Warmup Set, 85x5 (+2R), 80x7 (Low, +1R)
      Getting the first 85lb rep up was much easier this week, so I had more energy for the presses and had larger than normal gains. I started to feel nauseous while doing these presses. My nausea increased during the front raises.
    • One-armed Dumbbell Front Raises – Right: 75x5 (+1R), 70x10 (+1R); Left: 70x7 (+2R), 65x12 (+2R)
      I did these one arm at a time again because of the significant strength difference. I had limited ROM on the heavy sets with my right arm. The other sets went reasonably well. I am pleased that my left arm appears to be catching up to my right.
    • EZ-bar Lying Triceps Extensions – Warmup Set, 115x6, 115x6, 115x7
      I have been disappointed with my slow rate of improvement on triceps extensions in recent weeks. They are the only exercise I do on a regular basis that is below my preaccident PR of 122.5x6. I made some major changes to my routine this week since my current strategy is not working well. I did three working sets with the same weight instead of my usual reverse pyramiding. I was able to do more reps in the third set than the others due to technique improvements and a large rest between sets. I will increase to 117.5lb next week.
    • One-armed Reverse Pushdowns – DROPPED FROM ROUTINE
      I have dropped this exercise, so I can increase volume and intensity on the triceps extensions.
    (+X R) = Personal best for left arm, below overall personal best

General Comments
    None.

Cardio
    Running, High Intensity
    I do a leg workout on the day before this cardio session. I had some lower body DOMS earlier in the day. By the evening only my hamstrings and glutes were slightly sore. My lower back felt far better than usual since I skipped SLDLs this week and used lighter weights when doing squats+lunges.

This workout did not go well. I was feeling fine until I had run for about 20 minutes. I was struggling more than usual, feeling more overheated than usual, and sweating more than usual. By the time I had reached 30 minutes, things were worse. I removed my headphones and TV sound radio, so I could focus completely on the running. I was nearing failure after reaching about 40 minutes. I struggled to catch my breath. My shirt and shorts were saturated in sweat, and I frequently felt the need to stretch out my shirt to improve my breathing ability. I was developing a headache, like I did last week. My shins were also starting to feel quite sore. At this point I decided it would be best to take a short break on the elliptical trainer, then return to running. I am not sure if I could have completed my usual workout on the treadmill or not, but I did not want to risk more serious negative consequences.

After a 2 minute break on the elliptical trainer, I started up on the treadmill again at my usual 9.0mph pace. My symptoms quickly returned, so I went back to the elliptical trainer after a couple minutes on the treadmill. This time I did 7 minutes on the elliptical trainer, which allowed a greater recovery. I started up on the treadmill slowly this time. I gradually increased the speed from 7mph to 9mph, then did 10 minutes at my 9mph pace. I felt better this time and did not have a headache or large muscle soreness. However, I still struggled in a cardiovascular sense towards the end of the 10 minute period. My HR measured at 90-95%MHR during the end of this session. This is higher than normal and well above my lactate threshold (indicates that pace cannot be maintained, and I should have had to slowdown very soon). The only form of cardio that usually gets my HR this high is HIIT sprints. My total distance on the treadmill was 8.15 miles, which is about 5% below normal. If the 9 minutes recovery on the elliptical trainer was instead done by walking on the treadmill, then I would have ~8.75 miles, which is 0.17 miles above my record. However, I also spent 67 minutes during this workout (including warmup, cooldown, and recovery), which is 7 minutes more than normal. My average pace on the treadmill would have been significantly slower than normal.

My workout is summarized below. I did not wear an HR monitor. Instead I took my pulse by hand at two points within the workout. Both measures were above last week.
    • 3 minutes – Treadmill, 4.0 mph, total 0.20 miles (Warmup)
    • 37 minutes – Treadmill, 9.0 mph, total 5.75 miles –- 85-90%MHR at finish
    • 2 minutes – Elliptical trainer, easy pace
    • 2 minutes – Treadmill, 9.0 mph, total 6.05 miles
    • 7 minutes – Elliptical trainer, easy pace
    • 3 minutes – Treadmill, increasing 7.0mph->9.0mph, total 6.45 miles
    • 10 minutes – Treadmill, 9.0 mph, total 7.95 miles –- 90-95%MHR at finish
    • 3 minutes – Treadmilll, decreasing 9.0mph->3.0mph, total 8.15 miles (Cooldown)

Diet
    • 3700-3800 calories
    • Snack 1 – Oatmeal, 1 package broccoli, 1-2 oz turkey breast, a few peanuts
    • Snack 2 – Oatmeal, 1-2 oz turkey breast, a few peanuts
    • Meal 1 – Nature O’s cereal with skim milk, small serving snapper fillet
    • Snack 3 – Air-popped popcorn, ~1 oz turkey breast
    • Meal 2 - Large bowl black beans mixed with brown rice, sweet potato, small serving turkey breast, orange, a few peanuts
    • Meal 3 - Large bowl oatmeal, chicken breast, brown rice, 1 package green beans, banana, a few peanuts
    • Meal 4 – Large bowl Kashi Heart to Heart cereal with skim milk, 1 ear corn, 1 package peas, ~2 oz snapper fillet, orange

Supplements.
    2g flax oil, 3g fish oil
    Last edited by aka23; 03-26-2004 at 08:22 AM.

Good Push Day Aka you continue to make some great gains......you should be posting a progress picture soon?

Wikked1,
    Thanks. It has been a couple months since I posted a picture. I have not been taking pictures lately. I have also been neglecting body fat measures and goal progress reports. I am having a skin problem at the moment. When things return to normal, I will start thinking about progress updates.

I wannabebig!
    skin problem eh?

Nice workout aka! Way to push through the pain on the cardio, sounds like you were pretty exhausted.

Quote Originally Posted by ryuage
    skin problem eh?
    Must've got it from his "spring break type experience" with the Shakira chica

I'm going to throw another opinion your way concerning weight gain and how it helps/hinders you. Judging the best I can about your goals from your journal, I think you would still be happy with your abilities up to 200 lbs. Anything over that and I think you might start to be dissapointed with your performance in running and what not. Right after high school I continued to run road races and stuff, but also started lifting more seriously. I was able to do almost as well as I could in school until I got to the mid 190's. Then the extra weight really started taking a toll on my times. I figure you would be good till 200 cause you're a smidge taller than me and your frame should be able to handle a bit more weight than mine could.
    My Journal
    Yea, though I walk through the valley of the shadow of death, I will fear no evil,...Cuz I'm the baddest motherf***er in the valley!
    "The wait in the dressing room before a boxing match --that last hour -- would be enough to strip a man that never boxed before of whatever Pride, Desire, and Heart he THOUGHT he had" -John Scully
    "It takes no effort to be ordinary. Ordinary is not even a challenge. You can do nothing and be ordinary."- Bernard Hopkins

ryuage and Bruteman,
    I am sensitive about my appearance and do not wish to take any pictures while the skin problem is present. The problem is not contagious or transmittable.

wibble,
    Thanks. I was extremely exhausted during the cardio. The session was one of two "high intensity" cardio sessions I do each 8 days. During these sessions, I push my body to my limits. Over time I have developed the ability to perform at such high intensities for extended periods.

Bruteman,
    I think how much the weight affects performance depends a great deal on the activity, duration, and intensity. For example, my increased weight has had little effect on non-weight bearing activities such as cycling and the elliptical trainer. If anything my performance continues to improve, due to increased strength. The main disadvantage I have noticed is more difficulty maintaining body temperature (increased sweat).

My running has been noticably effected. Most elite sprinters near my height weigh ~180lb. Michael Johnson is 6'1 and 175lb. Bernard Williams is 6'0" and 178lb. John Capel is 5'11" and 180lb. As distance increases, increased weight becomes more of a hindrance and the weights of elite athletes decrease. Alan Culpepper (10000m=6.25mile) is 6'1" and 130lb. Abdi Abdiraham (10000m=6.25mile) is 5"11 and 130lb. A few do well at ~150lb, but none are up to sprinters weights of near 180lb. I have noticed decline in both my sprint recovery (HIIT sessions) and my longer distances. My cardiovascular fitness continues to improve, but my performance does not. My shorter 30 second HIIT intervals have had less of a decline than my 60 second intervals. They may have even had a small improvement. Weight also impacts other issues that influence performance in less direct ways. For example at higher weights, weight bearing activties cause greater stress on the body, and I am more likely to experience calf/shin pain during my longer running sessions (both HIIT and longer distances).
    Last edited by aka23; 03-27-2004 at 07:28 AM.

Training Log
    Sleep
    I slept approximately 5 hours using 30mg Restoril (benzo. sleeping aid).

Weights
    Rest Day
    I had no muscle soreness in my lower back for a change. The difference is probably related to skipping SLDLs this week. I had some DOMS in my legs from yesterday's running session. My chest and triceps were also a bit sore. The running & sweat caused some mild friction burns on portions of my inner thighs. The burns were far less severe than last week even though I sweated more. Hopefully my skin is building up a tolerance for such issues.

Cardio
    Cycling, moderate intensity
    I experimented with different cadences and intensities again during this workout. I did the first 40 minutes at my usual intensity and a cadence of approximately 88RPM. I did the final 20 minutes at one level lower and a cadence of approximately 98RPM. I broke my distance record by ~0.3% during both periods. Like the earlier sessions, the lower intensity higher cadence portion felt much easier than the higher intensity portion and did not get my HR as high. My HR was 77-82%MHR at the higher intensity, and 70-75%MHR at the lower intensity. I am pleased that I am still making improvements, even though the improvements are small.

Diet
    • 3700-3800 calories
    • 2:00AM – Oatmeal, 10 oz package broccoli, ~2 oz turkey breast, a few peanuts
    • 4:30AM - Oatmeal, ~2 oz turkey breast, a few peanuts
    • 7:00AM – 7:30AM – Large bowl Nature O’s cereal with skim milk, small serving turkey breast
    • 11:30AM -12:15PM - Large bowl black beans mixed with brown rice, sweet potato, small serving turkey breast, banana, a few peanuts
    • 3:30PM - Grapes
    • 4:30PM – 5:15PM – Chicken breast, large bowl oatmeal, brown rice, large apple, 10 oz package green beans, a few peanuts
    • Cardio Session
    • 10:00PM – 10:30PM – Large bowl Grape Nuts with skim milk, 10 oz succotash, 1-2 oz snapper fillet, orange
    I averaged 3750 calories per day this week. 3750 calories is 66 calories per day more than last week and 80 calories per day more than two weeks ago. This increase in calories was not intentional.

Supplements
    2g flax oil, 3g fish oil
    Last edited by aka23; 03-27-2004 at 10:26 AM.

Ya I've had those friction burns on my inner thighs, they suck bad. I used to get them when working outside for long periods of time over the summer. Hopefully like you say your skin will build a tolerance for it.

Dedicated,
    I started getting the burns a couple weeks ago. I have never had them in the past when I had smaller inner thighs. Now my inner thighs are large enough that they rub together when I run. The friction gets to be a problem in the warm southern CA weather, which causes me to sweat. I have stopped doing inner thigh isolation work and may also alter my clothing selection, if problems continue. The burns were far less severe this week than last week, so I think there is a good chance that I simply need to give my body time to adapt.

Training Log

Sleep
    I slept approximately 4.5 hours using 30mg Restoril (benzodiazepine sleeping aid).

Weights
    Pull Day, Emphasis Back
    • Hammer Strength Low Row – Warmup Sets, 3 plates +10 per side x 7 (+10lb), 2 plates +35 per side x 10 (+3R)
      This is my third week of doing HS low rows instead of cable low rows. I am still making rapid gains, but these sets felt significantly more difficult than last week. I may have had some ROM issues during the final rep or two of the heavy set. I will only add 5lb next week.
    • LifeCircuit Row – 205(up)/287(down) x 7 (+5/7lb), 185(up)/259(down) x 10 (+3R)
      I set eccentric (down) weight on the machine at 40% greater than concentric weight (up). I focused on maintaining extremely strict form with these rows again. I was sweating as usual after completing these sets.
    • Cybex Dual Axis Pulldown – Warmup Set, Stack+65 (355)x6, Stack+40 (330)x9 (+1R)
      I am disappointed to not make any gains on the heavy set. Gains have been slowing down in recent weeks. I think that I will drop down to a lighter weight next week and focus on maintaining strict form with full ROM.
    • Seated Curls - Warmup set,
      Right Arm: 70x6 (+0.5R), 65x10 (+1R)
      Left Arm: 65x7 (+1R), 60x9.5 (+0.5R)
      I find it interesting that my strength seems to drop off at a different rate with my two arms. There is only a 2.5 rep difference between the two sets with my left arm, while there is a 4 rep difference between the two sets with my right arm. I think I will increment to 70lb with my left arm next week, so both arms will use the same weights.
    • One-armed Cybex Lateral Raise Machine -- Stack+50 (240)x8/8 (+1R/1R), Stack+35 (225)x10/10 (+1R/1R)
      Stack+50 is the maximum possible weight that can be added to this machine. I will need to find a substitute exercise some time soon. A personal trainer and his customer were using the station next to me. I thought he was going to complain about me adding weights to the stack. Fortunately he left me alone.
    • Hammer Strength Shrugs – 410 x 10 (+ROM), 500 x 10 (+1R)
      I added 50lb to both sets this week while dropping 4 reps. I was able to reach 500lb by placing 25lb plates on the handles. The two sets had the same number of reps, but different ROMs. The +1R PR compares the heavy set to sets from many weeks ago, which likely had a smaller ROM. If I used the same ROM, it would have almost certainly be more than a 1 rep gain.
    (+X R) = Personal Best for a particular arm, but not overall personal best

General Comments
    While I was doing seated curls, the guy on the bench next to me told me I had nice shoulders. I was happy to receive the compliment, but I would have preferred to receive it from a woman.

My lower back did not bother me at all during this workout. I will try adding SLDLs into my routine again tomorrow. Hopefully this week has been enough time for my lower back to recover.

Cardio
    Elliptical Trainer, Medium-High Intensity

I did a one-hour session using the machine’s random setting. During two sessions last month, the elliptical trainer estimated that I traveled an unexpectedly large distance and burned an unexpectedly large number of calories. I needed to increase the intensity level of the machine well above my usual range to get an effective workout. I had the same problem in today’s session. I suspect that one of my gym’s machines has a different resistance than the others.

During the first half hour I thought I broke my distance record by an insignificant margin. The resistance felt much lighter than normal, and my HR was far below normal. I increased the resistance two levels higher during the second half hour, to the level that I used in the unexpectedly easy sessions last month. I came within 0.5% of my previous distance record in these sessions, which was 30% more than my distance in the first half hour. I did not break my earlier distance record. However, my HR was significantly lower than when I set it last month, indicating cardiovascular fitness improvement. My HR stayed in the 75-85%MHR this time.

Diet
    • ~3800 calories
    • Snack 1 - Oatmeal, 10 oz package broccoli, 1-2 oz turkey breast, a few peanuts
    • Snack 2 - Oatmeal, 1-2 oz turkey breast, a few peanuts
    • Meal 1 - Large bowl Shredded Wheat with skim milk and cutup banana, small serving snapper fillet.
    • Meal 2 - Large bowl black beans mixed with brown rice, sweet potato, small serving turkey breast, 2 oranges, a few peanuts
    • Meal 3 - Large bowl oatmeal, chicken breast, brown rice, pear, 10 oz package green beans, a few peanuts
    • Meal 4 - Large bowl Kashi Heart to Heart cereal, 10 oz package peas, 1 ear corn, ~2 oz snapper fillet, grapes

Supplements
    2g flax oil, 3g fish oil, 1 multivitamin/mineral (no iron)
    Last edited by aka23; 03-27-2004 at 07:29 PM.

I wannabebig!
    Well after some serious thought, not only do I want to get bigger but I want to be in a state of excellent health and in good conditioning running wise. Thing is the two seem to go against each other, now some say dont do cardio some say a little cardio while bulking, but it doesn't cut it when wanting to improve cardio wise. Sure I should up my calories to compensate... thing is I have been monitoring your progress and you have made significant improvements as far as increasing your cardio capabilities and muscle/strength gain, so what tips can you share for someone who would like to do the same and plans on doing the same but would like to increase muscle mass. Any tips to share??? sorry if I may sound a bit confusing but you get the point

Quote Originally Posted by aka23
    While I was doing seated curls, the guy on the bench next to me told me I had nice shoulders. I was happy to receive the compliment, but I would have preferred to receive it from a woman.
    LOL thats pretty funny. It would definitely be awkward to have some guy tell you that you have a nice anything. It wouldn't be so bad if he worded it differently, like "man your shoulders are huge" or something, but "you have nice shoulders" just sounds creepy coming from a dude. Anywho...

Nice workout, lots of gains. I'm glad to hear you're going to use the same weight on the seated curls now. Thats awesome.