The Five Biggest Contradictions in Fitness
Latest Article

The Five Biggest Contradictions in Fitness

Itís no secret that when people contradict themselves, it has the effect of making the flaws in their actions or statements seem glaringly obvious. But what about when WE ourselves get caught contradicting ourselves by someone else?

By: Nick Tumminello Added: January 6th, 2014
More Recent Articles
Contrast Training for Size
By: Lee Boyce
An Interview with Marianne Kane of Girls Gone Strong
By: Jordan Syatt
What Supplements Should I be Taking? By: Jay Wainwright
Bench Like a Girl By: Julia Ladewski
Some Thoughts on Building a Big Pull By: Christopher Mason

Facebook Join Facebook Group       Twitter Follow on Twitter       rss Subscribe via RSS
Page 2 of 6 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast
    On Auto Pilot:******* Huge Alke's Avatar
    Hey monstar! nice lifts man! 565 is awesome! I dont know how you do it, I just did 300 for a partial and cant imagine what 565 must feel like...it's reading about lifts like yours and others here that keep me motivated lately!

I was thinking of switching to sumo style deadlift, since I am so freakin' tall and its a long way up using a conventional deadlift form. Since I am bodybuilding though, is it better to stick with conventional style for overall back development, or should I switch to sumo style? I know if I switch I will be using more weight, which means something will have to grow regardless.......

To Saturday Fever, I dont know about your comment of gaining LBM without gaining fat, I just gained 10 lbs in 8 weeks with no BF increase, course this here BF machine they have at the "Y" could be wrong, but either way I have been pretty anal about my diet the last 8 weeks and got great results eating small meals every 2 hours.....Im not saying will will keep up, Im sure by the time I gain 30lbs on this bulk my BF will increase somewhere along the line no matter how anal I get about my food intake LOL
    My Journal
    Progress Pic

1RM's
    30MAY03 = 800 Total - Bench 230, Squat 245, Deadlift 325
    22OCT04 = 960 Total - Bench 275, Squat 305, Deadlift 380

Most push-ups in one minute = 102 (BW:195lbs)

Some men see things as they are and say, "Why?" I dream things that never were and say, "Why not?" - George B. Shaw

FOOD is my drug of choice

Jack's Utter Surprise Saturday Fever's Avatar
    Your body uses fat to transport testosterone. Testosterone makes muscles grow. Without a reliable form of transportation, how can any of this happen? And your body knows this.

Jack's Utter Surprise Saturday Fever's Avatar
    Kenn, you'll gain bodyfat if you haven't already. The gains are exponential. The more you gain...well, the more you gain.

And going sumo won't get in the way of bodybuilding. Not at all.

Do that voodoo that he do
    Originally posted by Kenn

To Saturday Fever, I dont know about your comment of gaining LBM without gaining fat, I just gained 10 lbs in 8 weeks with no BF increase, course this here BF machine they have at the "Y" could be wrong, but either way I have been pretty anal about my diet the last 8 weeks and got great results eating small meals every 2 hours.....Im not saying will will keep up, Im sure by the time I gain 30lbs on this bulk my BF will increase somewhere along the line no matter how anal I get about my food intake LOL
    Kenn, did your bf percentage stay the same? If so, then you did gain some fat.

200 pounds at 20% bf = 40 pounds of fat.

210 pounds at 20% bf = 42 pounds of fat.

8 pounds of lean gained.

Either way, a very good job. However, it supports SF's argument that some fat must be gained for an appreciable bulk.

Alex: Thanks for the kind words man, I dont know. I mean my webcam is ONLY a webcam its not like digital camera at all. I wish it was, haha. Because youre exactly right I would be able to get better lighting, etc. I try to take my pics during the day with the window completely open. That way all the sunlight shines through or whatever. I am going to get some more progress pics up towards to end of April. Well see what happens I guess. Thanks for posting man, appreciate it.

Kenn: Thanks for the support man. I totally think that you should go sumo-style. Especially if youre taller man, its inevitable. I switched to sumo style and I will NEVER go back to conventional. I felt conventional in my lower back a lot, and just didnt care for it at all. Sumo I feel in my lower back still, but a lot of glutes and hips and all that as well. I just feel so much stronger pulling sumo. There's no way I could hit 565 conventional. At least I dont think.

Saturday Fever: Agreed. Also, going sumo will definitely not get in the way of bodybuilding. Youll pull more weight I think.

Borris: I agree, some fat will be gained no matter what. There is no way around that if youre natural.
    Last edited by MonStar; 04-09-2003 at 05:28 PM.

AHHH I see = so even though the percentage is the same, this percentage is based on my new weight.

So when the percentage was 6.6% at my previous weight (174), that percentage still increased (exponentially) based on my new weight 184 and 6.6% at 184 is still a gain in BF (even though the numbers are the same).

Did that make sense?
    My Journal
    Progress Pic

1RM's

Some men see things as they are and say, "Why?" I dream things that never were and say, "Why not?" - George B. Shaw

Calfless
    Real nice deadlift strength man!

monstar- i agree im tired of competing in b.b. and plan to stay natural. before dieting i carried a 200 at 10%. after getting back up there i dont plan on going back down.
    i am a member of the a.a.p.f. since 98 i still hold all four state records in the 198 class of 40-44 and the yr 2001 i broke three of the four records in the 198 class of 45-49 yr olds and still holding them. i think i might go back in dec for the state record and rebreak my old one and get the fourth one.
    let me do some reserach on westside and get back. also any info on it would help.
    does westside have a chart on everyone lifts, totals,weight,age,etc..?

Kenn: Yeah I see what youre saying man. Its all good, what Borris and Saturday Fever are trying to bring to your attention is simply that no matter what, a natural bodybuilder is going to add some fat when he bulks up. I mean there is really no way around like. For instance you may have gained 2 lbs. with 8 lbs. lean. I on the other hand have a pretty slow metabolism so I might gain 4 lbs. of fat, and 8 lbs. lean. How much fat you gain to me is a variable. However, a natural bodybuilding will gain some fat.

pagan: Thanks a lot for the support man, appreciate it a ton. 575 is my next goal, then I want 6 plates, BAD.

YoBrickWall: I agree that you should gain some weight, and some bodyfat back. 4% in my opinion is pretty damn unhealthy. Just what I think though. Yeah I would research Westside too if I were you, not jump into a program that I didnt know the first thing about. About Westside having a chart, I do not think so. At least from what I understand they do not have a chart. Check out www.elitefts.com for some information. If you click on articles and all that I believe there is a sample 9-week program if I am not mistaken.

Originally posted by MonStar

I am not sure that Ill be up to par with Narc or a few others. But I do hope to get closer to Belial and mason.
    "Except Belial. He knows everything. This isn't a sarcastic attack, either. He really knows everything." -----Organichu
    "Alex is all knowing and perfect"-----Jane (loosely paraphrased)
    -515/745/700 bench/deadlift/squat
    Current mile time: 4:23
    Marathons: 3
    Century races: 3
    Ironmans: 1
    Ultramarathons: 1
    Current supps: http://www.atlargenutrition.com/prod...covery/results

LOL

What is elite?
    "Those who work the hardest often complain the least." -anonymous
    Pain is inevitable. Suffering is optional.

Alex: My fault man, I didnt realize, AT ALL, that you and Narc were very close, or you were stronger than him, at all. My apologies B, I would have been insulted if I were you, lol. I actually just assumed from the BB rowing video with 405 that all of his lifts were extremely like that. Thanks for clearing it up man, and again, my fault. Here is the edit:

I really hope to be up to par with Narc's rows or Belial and mason's strength in the next 6 months to a year.
    HomeYield: Haha, I didnt realize that Alex was as strong as he was to be completely honest. I am not sure why. After seeing Narc's BB rows I just figured he was towering over everyone on this site. Oh well, its all good.
    Last edited by MonStar; 04-10-2003 at 09:32 AM.

lol. We just have very, very different strengths.
    "Except Belial. He knows everything. This isn't a sarcastic attack, either. He really knows everything." -----Organichu
    "Alex is all knowing and perfect"-----Jane (loosely paraphrased)
    -515/745/700 bench/deadlift/squat
    Current mile time: 4:23
    Marathons: 3
    Century races: 3
    Ironmans: 1
    Ultramarathons: 1
    Current supps: http://www.atlargenutrition.com/prod...covery/results

Alex: Yeah, lol, I didnt realize that at all before. Damn. Its all good man. Makes me recognize how strong you really are just that much more. Keep it up man. Smoke 655 tonight!

• Diet/Supplements

Meal 1: turkey & cheese sandwich, multi-vitamin/mineral
      Meal 2: skim milk
      Preworkout: 25 mg. ephedrine hcl, 2 Zantrex-3
      During Workout: 20 oz. Gatorade + 5g creatine + 5g glutamine + 1/2 tsp. salt
      Postworkout: 1 serving whey protein, 1 serving Cell-Tech, 200 mg. r-ALA
      Meal 6: 1 Wendy's small frosty, 1 Wendy's cheeseburger, 1 Wendy's 5-piece chicken tender
      Meal 7: whole milk, 1 Taco Bell supreme beef gordita
      Meal 8: 2% milk

Estimated Calories: ~3500
    • Training---ME Bench

Flat Barbell Presses:

135 x 3, 185 x 3, 225 x 2, 275 x 1, 335 x Miss, 330 x Miss

F*CK! Damn was I pissed as f*cking hell today. What a godd*mn joke it was today in the gym. One of the WORST workouts I have ever had in my entire life. Just completely terrible. Missed 335 and 330 today, which is really friggin' ridiculous because I should have smoked at least one of them. Oh well. I am not going to test my max again for another month or so. So HOPEFULLY then Ill do good with 335. I failed with 330 about 4-5" before lockouts. That's purely triceps strength which is just f*cking pathetic.

Flat Dumbbell Flyes:

75 x 8 (2), 60 x 14

Good sets here I think, I dont know, whatever. Started off with the 75s for 2 sets of 8. Blasted my pecs hard. Dropped down to the 60s for 14 reps. Really enjoy going high reps on DB flyes. Pumps my pecs up like crazy!

JM Presses:

185 x 6, 135 x 8

Eh, not much to say here. Triceps somehow were really really tired at this point in my workout. Maybe from missing f*cking 330 and 335, I dont know. Whatever. Two good sets here today. Thats for sure.

Dumbbell Lateral Raises:

50 x 6!, 40 x 8, 30 x 10

Some nice hard sets of laterals today. Started off with the 50s for 6 reps! New PB here for me. Reps were very slow, lol. The 50s are a helluva' lotta weight. Good slow negative too. 40s for 8 was also really painful. Trying to build some massive friggin' delts. 30s were just to finish up my workout.

Underhand Supported Rows:

5 Plates x 7!, 6 Plates x 3, 4 Plates x 11

Some good sets I guess. 5 plates for 7 was a new PB! Most I ever got with 5 plates was 5-6 reps. Nice lat contractions. 6 plates for a triple was okay, wish I coulda hit 4 reps. Finally 4 plates for 11 was tough. Nice back contractions with four 45s I think.

Alternating Crossbody Dumbbell Hammer Curls:

80 x 6/6!, 60 x 8/8

Some damn good sets of crossbody hammer curls today. I was really pleased with my strength here today. Managed to hit 6 reps on each arm with the 80s. LOL, this sure does get some stares in my gym. I was next to a guy doing regular hammers with the 25s I think, or the 30s at the most, lol. Its all good. 60s for 8 reps on each arm really toasted my arms completely.
    • Miscellaneous

Training Length: 45 minutes
      Sleep: 8.5 hours
      Weight: 222 lbs. (gym)
      Pain/Soreness: Not all that sore today. Thighs and all that are stiff but nothing too bad at all. I expected a LOT worse than this to be completely honest.
    • General Comments

Feel pretty damn good today I think. At least I THOUGHT I felt pretty good until I had a completely sh*tty overall workout today in the gym. 8.5 hours of friggin' sleep, some calories beforehand, I dont know what the hell my problem was today at all. Couldnt figure it out to save my friggin' life. Focus was just horrible today, and my intensity wasnt as high as it should have been for a MAX EFFORT bench day. Jeez. Oh well.
    Last edited by MonStar; 04-13-2003 at 12:00 AM.

Calfless
    How do you stay at 220 with that diet bro. I dont see how you do it. TUNA IS GOD!!
    Last edited by pagan058; 04-10-2003 at 02:47 PM.

Hey Monstar! probably just gotta get back into the swing of things again........

BTW Those standing laterals were awesome! I gotta get wraps for mine, damn my weak wrist LOL (and no Im not limp wristed, just got a weakass right wrist for some reason)

I still want a supported row machine at my gym too!!!!!!
    My Journal
    Progress Pic

1RM's

pagan: LOL, I couldnt tell you man. I eat pretty much, actually completely, whatever the hell I want. I try not too take in TOO much sugar. Although I usually end up taking in a ton no matter what. And I try not just eat crap like donuts and sh*t all day everyday. I try and mix it up a lot, lol. But as to why I dont gain a sh*tload of fat, I couldnt tell ya man.

Kenn: Thanks for the post man. I dont know what the hell happened with my bench today. I was PISSED I know that much, lol. Should have smoked one of the 2 max lifts. I wanted 335 bad, shame I didnt get it at all. Got about halfway up and... nothing. Anyway, yeah supported rows are friggin' awesome for your back man. That is probably my favorite back movement. Thanks again for the post. By the way, doing laterals with the 50s was TOUGH! My ROM was good with them, but towards the 5th and 6th reps I think I used some body English. Not like throwing my body or anything just going up on the balls of my feet if you know what I mean.
    Last edited by MonStar; 04-10-2003 at 05:18 PM.

Of the driver ilk
    Your machine is sort of like a supported T-bar isn't it?

Look like a decent workout, looked intense. I'm sure that you will smoke 340 next time you max.
    "42"

Do that voodoo that he do
    Originally posted by MonStar
    pagan: LOL, I couldnt tell you man. I eat pretty much, actually completely, whatever the hell I want. I try not too take in TOO much sugar. Although I usually end up taking in a ton no matter what. And I try not just eat crap like donuts and sh*t all day everyday. I try and mix it up a lot, lol. But as to why I dont gain a sh*tload of fat, I couldnt tell ya man.

Part of it is your natural metabolism. Looking at your pics, I'd guess that you're not naturally a big, chubby guy. You have a pretty fast metabolism, which gives you some leeway.

Other than that, you train like a bastard. You're a frequent trainer, and though I haven't seen you train, I'm guessing that you're quite intense. You do quite a fair number of sets, and you're not in the gym long. You work hard, plain and simple. That involves a fair number of calories,

Strongman
    Originally posted by pagan058
    How do you stay at 220 with that diet bro. I dont see how you do it.
    Ummmm...Doesn't he mean how do you stay at 220 and not lose weight because you eat so little????
    Four-Time World's Strongest Man

Calfless
    Thank you Magnus....thats what i meant...

Gaglione Strength Chris Rodgers's Avatar
    Mon- nice pull

Kenn- for 'most' tall lifters conventional will work better wit your leverages. Most of us shorter guys fair better with sumo. That being said, I think you should train both to hit all the muscles and build strength in the hips with the sumo.
    Best Meet Lifts(Raw w/wraps):
    @165- 435 SQ 270 BE 560 DL.....1255 total
    @181- 515 SQ 295 BE 570 DL.....1375 total
    Best Meet Lifts(Multi-ply):
    @148- 575 SQ 315 BE 515 DL.....1400 total
    @165- 680 SQ 380 BE 540 DL.....1555 total
    @181- 700 SQ 375 BE 535 DL.....1605 total
    Best Gym Lifts(Raw w/wraps)
    515 SQ 302.5 BE 585 DL

There may be hope yet. JustinASU's Avatar
    Silently Slipping into the dark abyss of Insanity
    MonStar, I like how the journal is coming along man. I want to say you are one STRONG mother****er. Very respectable lifts. You have inspired me to try Westside one day soon. Keep up the good, intense work and good luck bro!

Xg74: Hey man, yes, the supported row that I use is a lot like a t-bar row. Just a supported t-bar row actually. I am going to attach a pic that is the EXACT machine that I use. Paramount makes it, and quite honestly, its a tough a*s machine. I have never seen anyone in my gym use over 4 plates on it. Tears the hell out of my lats man. Anyway, I would LOVE to hit 340. Jeez. I just feel like lately my bench has been a real problem. Really going to be focusing on suspended bench, and lockouts a TON. I want 350 by mid-summer.

Borris: By nature, I dont have all that great of a metabolism man. Well, I dont know. I tend to be stocky by nature I think. Kind of stocky that is. I have always had very broad shoulders even before I started to workout. And about how I train, I generally train VERY intense. I get really really REALLY friggin' pissed when I workout. I dont really know why, I just do. Always have actually. Part of the fun for me, lol. The more angry I am in the gym, the better my workout is.

Magnus: Yup, lol.

pagan: Its all good man, I knew what you meant.

Latty: Hey thanks for the support man. 565 like I said was just extremely easy. Just a LOT easier than 555 somehow. I really want 6 plates. Hopefully everything will turn out okay with that. I am trying to decide if I should shoot for 585 or 575 next time I test my deadlift man. Still up in the air at this point. Havnt decided yet. I would hate to try 6 plates and miss it. Oh well, who knows.

Justin: Hey thanks a lot for the support man, really appreciate it. Yeah I really hope that this journal picks up the way that my other one did. I really am starting to get back into Westside now that I am back on it. I really think that you should give Westside a shot man. If your goals are size and strength, go for it.
    Attached Images Attached Images