The Five Biggest Contradictions in Fitness
Latest Article

The Five Biggest Contradictions in Fitness

Itís no secret that when people contradict themselves, it has the effect of making the flaws in their actions or statements seem glaringly obvious. But what about when WE ourselves get caught contradicting ourselves by someone else?

By: Nick Tumminello Added: January 6th, 2014
More Recent Articles
Contrast Training for Size
By: Lee Boyce
An Interview with Marianne Kane of Girls Gone Strong
By: Jordan Syatt
What Supplements Should I be Taking? By: Jay Wainwright
Bench Like a Girl By: Julia Ladewski
Some Thoughts on Building a Big Pull By: Christopher Mason

Facebook Join Facebook Group       Twitter Follow on Twitter       rss Subscribe via RSS
Page 5 of 6 FirstFirst ... 3456 LastLast
    fuzz: Yeah man, thats the company alright. The nutritional facts for each cookie are different, fuzz. For example I believe the peanut butter one is 500 calories and 10g of protein. And GREAT tasting I might add, at least I think. I havnt had one that wasnt at least good. Oatmeal raisin I wasnt crazy about actually. Thanks for the link man.

• Diet/Supplements

Meal 1: metrx bar, multi-vitamin/mineral, 2 Zantrex-3
      Meal 2: 2 cereal bars
      Meal 3: slim-fast bar
      Meal 4: macaroni & cheese, organic soda
      Meal 5: isopure shake
      Meal 6: 2 hot dogs, pretzels, orange juice
      Meal 7: metrx bar

Estimated Calories: ~3800
    • Training---Rest
    • Miscellaneous

Training Length: N/A.
      Sleep: 7 hours
      Weight: N/A.
      Pain/Soreness: Actually not too sore today at all for some reason. For the most part I feel pretty damn good. I am sure that the soreness will set in later in the day, however.
    • General Comments

Wow, I still am amped up about hitting 6 plates last night. I was so excited, lol. Anyway I am thinking about how I am going to be testing my deadlift over the next couple months before the meet. Obviously I do not want to burn myself out. I dont know, well see what happens I guess. I am going to see how 605 feels, and then see if I can hit 625. I would be very happy nailing 625 at the meet, to be completely honest.
    Last edited by MonStar; 04-16-2003 at 10:55 PM.

Banned
    nice job on the deads Mike

a word about the leg press 'dropset': don't stop at 16 plates; keep dropping off 2 plates at a time till you get down to 6-8 plates and you're crying like a little girl

*TRUST ME*

yo monstar-AWESOME man.
    keep hitting it hard so the ol man doesnt catch up to yo. yo know im gonna.

ybw

Callahan: Thanks for the support man, appreciate it. About the leg presses, its not a dropset. I just go heaviest for my first set, wait a few minutes, and then lighter for my 2nd set, and finally lighest for my last and final set. Just the way that I personally prefer to do it, not too big of a deal I dont think. Sorry about the confusion man, my fault. Anytime I do a dropset I put it in italics above the exercise, like this:

Dropset
    Leg Presses:

Just for future reference.

YoBrickWall: Hey man, thanks for the support, really appreciate it. I am really looking forward to deadlifting at a meet mid-summer. That should be a learning experience I think.
    Last edited by MonStar; 04-16-2003 at 07:39 AM.

yo monstar- what federation are u in or doing?
    i use to be in a.a.u. and a.s.s.a if i remeber right. ive been a memeber of a.a.p.f. since 1998. last time i competed was 2001 at the state records for a.a.p.f.
    im really considering going back this decemeber to compete again.
    im pretty sure i can break my old records, plus there one more i need to get then ill hold all four in the 45-49, 198 class.

ybw

YoBrickWall: Honestly, I have NO IDEA. I dont have a clue which competition I am going to compete in. I guess I should start looking into it huh? All I know at this point is that I am going to compete around mid-July, and see how I do. If all goes well with that, Ill compete again maybe in October right before I turn 20. Who knows, we'll see what happens. I really like the idea of competing in deadlift only. Like I said I think thats the lift that I favor the most. Good luck man if you decide to come back and compete.

damn your deadlifting is off the roof, just keep doing it as your doing it now, and rest a week before the meet and just eat.
    A big thanks to all my friends in the USA, I am deeply grateful for your hospitality and kindness.

Rock: Yeah man, I think that I should do really well at the meet. We'll see what happens. I want to have hit 625 before then in the gym. That will be really great I think. Who knows, at this point its hard to say what my strength is going to be like in a few months. I have about 3 months at this point to get ready for the competition. I think that if all goes well in those 3 months, 625 should not be a problem for the meet.

so you finally came to your senses and decided to do a meet?
    beautiful, just eat like there no tomorrow until then
    excellence is the result of caring more than others think is wise, dreaming more than others think is practical, and expecting more than others think is possible.

kook: LOL, yeah I guess I came to my senses man. I am only going to be doing deadlift in the meet, but I think that will go extremely well. After hitting 585 without much of a problem, I realized that genetically I favor deadlift. So Ill see what happens with that. Really going to work on my bar speed and explosion off the floor in my deadlifts. I am going to go Westside balls to the wall until the meet man, dont worry. I would LOVE to hit mid-600s in mid-July, damn.

• Diet/Supplements

Meal 1: 2 buttermilk waffles + maple syrup, skim milk, multi-vitamin/mineral
      Preworkout: 25 mg. ephedrine hcl, 2 Zantrex-3
      During Workout: 20 oz. Gatorade + 5g creatine + 5g glutamine + 1/2 tsp. salt
      Postworkout: 1 serving whey protein, 1 serving Cell-Tech, 200 mg. r-ALA
      Meal 5: 1 Burger King whopper, 1 Burger King 5-piece chicken tender, 1 Burger King hershey pie
      Meal 6: 1 Wendy's small frosty
      Meal 7: 1 Burger King whopper, 1 Burger King onion ring, 1 Burger King 5-piece chicken tender

Estimated Calories: ~3800
    • Training---ME Bench

Close-grip Barbell Presses:

135 x 3, 185 x 3, 225 x 3, 275 x 2, 330 x 1!, 335 x Miss

Some NICE sets of CG bench today! Set a new bench PB! Up 5 lbs. from my current 1RM on regular BB bench, and up 10 lbs. from my 1RM on CG bench. Awesome strength today, I was very impressed. Hands were 10-12" apart today. Use a grip where my hands are not THAT close, but not that far apart either. My index finger is right where the smooth part of the bar ends. Elbows were pinned against my sides during all CG bench sets. 225 and 275 felt like nothing, so I went right for a new bench PB. Hit 330, missed 335. Got about halfway up and, nothing.

Incline Barbell Presses:

225 x 8!, 205 x 8, 185 x 9

New incline PB today. Really like incline presses, havnt done them in a while. Used 225 for 8 which is good for me. Really hit my chest and front delts hard. Used a closer grip that I usually do. Dropped down to 205 for 8, I was dead. Pressing muscles were just exhausted. 185 for 9 was just torture.

Tate Presses:

75 x 2!, 60 x 5, 45 x 8

Nice sets of Tate presses today! Really blasted my friggin' triceps hard with the 75s. Hit a double with the 75s which for me is really really good. Tried HARD for that 3rd rep but I couldnt get it. Dropped down to the 60s for 5, and finished up with the 45s for 8. Minimal rest between these sets today.

One-arm Dumbbell Lateral Raises:

60 x 6/6!, 50 x 8/8

Nice sets of laterals today! BLASTED my side delts, ow! Used a 60 lbs. DB for 6 reps on each side, ouch. Nice slow negative really contracting my delts hard. Dropped down to a 50 lbs. DB for 8 reps on each side. Really hit my delts hard.

Underhand Supported Rows:

6 Plates x 4.5!, 5 Plates x 5 (2), 4 Plates x 10

Some good sets here today. 6 plates felt a lot lighter than it normally does somehow. I have no idea how. Hit 4.5 reps, new PB! I have only got a triple with 6 plates before. Dropped down to 5 plates for 2 sets of 5. Hit my lats hard here, damn. Finished up with 4 plates for 10. Back was toasted.

Alternating Crossbody Dumbbell Hammer Curls:

85 x 6/6!, 75 x 7/7

Some good sets of crossbody hammers today. Correction by the way, I am bringing the DB to my opposite PEC, not my opposite delt. Used the 85s for 6 reps on each arm. OW! Hit failure here, without a doubt. Dropped down to the 75s for 7 reps on each arm. Arms were exhausted.
    • Miscellaneous

Training Length: 55 minutes
      Sleep: 7 hours
      Weight: 223 lbs. (gym)
      Pain/Soreness: Stiff today in my lower body. Hips and glutes and all that are sore, along with my lower back being somewhat stiff. Oh well, whatever.
    • General Comments

Feel good today I think. Actually feel a little soft in my midsection for some reason, whatever. Ill live with it. I need to drop a couple of pounds eventually because I want to compete right in the 220 lbs. weight class. Damn I cant wait for this meet! I really want to see myself pull 600+, well see what happens I guess. It will be an all around learning experience, thats for sure.
    Last edited by MonStar; 04-18-2003 at 08:51 AM.

Jack's Utter Surprise Saturday Fever's Avatar
    Sounds like your triceps are your weakpoint on bench. I say that because once the bar is 5-6" up, the battle shifts primarily to your triceps, regardless of grip. I would only recommend giving your triceps a big blast for a few weeks. Nothing too extreme. Just throw in some heavier sets of Tates or maybe add a couple mid-range rep sets of skullcrushers. Should only add about 5-7 minutes to your workout if you work fast. Workouts look good, though.

yo- good chest day.

look under a.p.f.(name of yo state,yo have to spell the whole name).com
    itll show up a.p.f. and a.a.p.f... a.a.p.f. is the one u want.(a.p.f. is not drug tested). go to state records. look up yo class and ull see where yo at for comparsion of the weights u do. yo'll also know what yo gotta do to break the record. some classes dont even have state records set.

ybw

Saturday Fever: Yeah man, I agree. I had a feeling that my triceps were a weakpoint, although everyone else I talked to at my gym seem to think otherwise. They think because I can close-grip as much as I can press regularly, my triceps must be a strongpoint. Anyway, I went heavy on Tate presses today. Ill really try and pound my triceps hard week to week on my ME day with Tate presses and JMs. In combination with lockouts and all that of course. Thanks for chiming in SF. Any recommendations on how many times I should test my deadlift max between now and the meet? I am thinking maybe 3 times. Try 605, then 625, and then maybe even 650, depending on how 625 feels.

YoBrickWall: Hey, a.p.f.delaware.com didnt work for some reason. Maybe check the link again. I would like to see what the teen deadlift record is for Delaware. For a 220 lbs. and under class that is. I cant imagine it being THAT much, Delaware is a pretty small state. Who knows, we'll see what happens.

yo monstar- ill check my state and post it for u later. thisll give u some idea

ybw

Some good sets of crossbody hammers today. Correction by the way, I am bringing the DB to my opposite PEC, not my opposite delt. Used the 85s for 6 reps on each arm. OW! Hit failure here, without a doubt. Dropped down to the 75s for 7 reps on each arm. Arms were exhausted
    lol no wonder i was getting them wrong, i was going for my opposite delt!!! oh well you live and learn

Nice chest work, How close were your close-grips? that was awsome work Mike

Checked out your progress pics, your back is looking thick and wide and arms are looking superb, i like how your forearm almost looks at one with the bicep also good to see a quad pic.

Excellent stuff, keep it progressing fella.
    The only limits are the one's you place on yourself...

Here's one for some records in Delaware. Its the open division and I don't know anything about the different federations but:

http://www.apa-wpa.com/delaware.html

Looks like you migh have the deadlift in your weight class.
    What is elite?
    "Those who work the hardest often complain the least." -anonymous
    Pain is inevitable. Suffering is optional.

YoBrickWall: Okay man, thanks, I appreciate it.

Ron: Thanks for the support. LOL, my fault about the crossbody hammers. It is opposite pec, if you went to opposite delt it was probably really awkward. My hands are 10-12" apart on the barbell for the CGs. My index finger is RIGHT where the non-smooth part of the bar starts. If that gives you any idea. Yeha I think I have added a little size but I have definitely added some fat as well. Whatever, you have to gain a little fat. My strength has been excellent lately so I am not going to complain. Thanks for the post Ron.

HomeYield: Also, I am looking to find the Delaware TEEN record for the 220 lbs. class, along with the Delaware overall record for the 220 lbs. class.

Nevermind, I just tried it and it worked. I cant believe that the Delaware record is only 550, thats crazy. Thats not even just the teen division, thats the entire state record I believe. I am really looking forward to competing now. Damn, I hope that I pull 625 or so in the meet. That would be insane to beat the record by 75 lbs.
    Last edited by MonStar; 04-17-2003 at 12:43 PM.

Don't know why its not working for ya.

Here's the copied off bit for the 220lb weight class for the open. Just thought you might like to see the deadlift.

First number is weight class, 2nd number is squat, 3rd number is the bench, 4th number is the deadlift and the last number is the record total for that weight class.
    220 lb 600 R. Tyler 450 R. Tyler 550 R. Tyler 1600 R. Tyler

The link works fine for me so I don't know why you can't see it but the open 220lbs deadlift record is 550lbs. Kind of crazy.
    What is elite?

HomeYield: Yeah it works, sorry. I cant get over the fact that the DL record in Delaware for 220 is only 550. I thought that it would be WAY more than that. That makes me feel strong! LOL. 585 came up on Tuesday pretty easily, I think that if I train right and all goes well Ill hit 600+ at the meet in July. Ill have to make sure that everything goes well. From what I understand you cannot take ephedrine, so Ill have to be careful about that.

I just remembered this, I have had a few guys who are heavy powerlifters come into my work for drug cleansers. Just a carb drink that they use prior to the urine test to pass, because they said theyre all on ephedrine. It seems that everyone these days is cracking down on ephedrine, damn!
    Last edited by MonStar; 04-17-2003 at 12:49 PM.

Here in NC the 18-19 teen division the deadlift is 550 as well:
    http://www.carolinapowerlifting.com/mens_18-19.htm

For the 20-23 junior division its 630:
    http://www.carolinapowerlifting.com/mens_20-23.htm

But for the open class its 690lbs.
    http://www.carolinapowerlifting.com/mens_open.htm

It might just be in that federation though. I'm not sure which federation the above link is for so it just depends on who you are registered with and stuff. I couldn't find anything else for Delaware but maybe somebody else can.
    What is elite?

yo - my mistake. its apf not a.p.f.
    sorry

ybw

On Auto Pilot:******* Huge Alke's Avatar
    >>One-arm Dumbbell Lateral Raises:
    60 x 6/6!, 50 x 8/8 <<

seriously, good sets bro' I just shake my head everytime I read your journal LOL impressive strength as always!!!!!!! I knew you would have a better chest session the next time around, just took you a bit to get back into westside again.
    Last edited by Kenn; 04-17-2003 at 06:36 PM.
    My Journal
    Progress Pic

1RM's
    30MAY03 = 800 Total - Bench 230, Squat 245, Deadlift 325
    22OCT04 = 960 Total - Bench 275, Squat 305, Deadlift 380

Most push-ups in one minute = 102 (BW:195lbs)

Some men see things as they are and say, "Why?" I dream things that never were and say, "Why not?" - George B. Shaw

FOOD is my drug of choice

HomeYield: Yeah thanks man. Obviously North Carolina is a lot bigger than small pathetic Delaware, lol. I still would love to hit a state record here in Delaware, that would be really nice if you ask me. I know that I can pull more than 550, no questions asked. I could compete this weekend and pull more than that. I couldnt find anymore information on the Delaware state powerlifting records either. Ill have to keep looking. Thanks for the help HY.

YoBrickWall: No problem man, dont worry about it. Thanks for the help.

Kenn: Hey thanks a lot man, yeah I do really feel that I had a much better ME bench session this week, than last week. Last week I dont know what the heck my problem was, this week my strength and intensity and all that was right on. I am really looking forward to this meet in July! I have to figure out which meet I am competing in first, and see what organization it is. I really want to smoke the Delaware deadlift record for the 220 lbs. class.

By the way Kenn, about the one-arm lateral raises---for some reason I am much stronger with one-arm than two. I can handle the 50s for 6 reps on regular laterals, but somehow with one-arm I can handle a 60 lbs. DB.
    Last edited by MonStar; 04-17-2003 at 06:45 PM.