The Five Biggest Contradictions in Fitness
Latest Article

The Five Biggest Contradictions in Fitness

Itís no secret that when people contradict themselves, it has the effect of making the flaws in their actions or statements seem glaringly obvious. But what about when WE ourselves get caught contradicting ourselves by someone else?

By: Nick Tumminello Added: January 6th, 2014
More Recent Articles
Contrast Training for Size
By: Lee Boyce
An Interview with Marianne Kane of Girls Gone Strong
By: Jordan Syatt
What Supplements Should I be Taking? By: Jay Wainwright
Bench Like a Girl By: Julia Ladewski
Some Thoughts on Building a Big Pull By: Christopher Mason

Facebook Join Facebook Group       Twitter Follow on Twitter       rss Subscribe via RSS
Page 6 of 6 FirstFirst ... 456
    yo monstar-imo i dont think yo problem is yo tricep. if yo doing close grip bench yo tricep is doing most of the work. still its a good bench.

ybw

good work on the 330 monstar i bet it felt great to make a new PR.
    i was wondering man, for your ME exersizez do u change it every week or switch it every 2-3 weeks? just wanted your opinion on this.
    weight: 155?
    height: 5'9"

-LONGER TERM GOALS-
    benchpress: 275x1
    military press: 160x1
    deadlift: 405x1

Great strength as usal monstar, april progress pics look great also.
    My Stats:
    5'6" 148
    BF: maybe 8%

Personal bests:

Flat BB Bench: 305x1 Shirt/Chalk
    Squat: 395x1 Suit/Belt/Chalk
    Deadlift: 405x1 Belt/Chalk
    Dips: Bw+3platesx3
    OH Press: 75's
    Decline Bench: 315x3
    DB Bench:95'sx6
    Pushups: 70 in 55 seconds
    Situps: 53 in 49 seconds

YoBrickWall: I dont know man, I am really thinking that it is my triceps that are my weakpoint. Only because if completely changing the grip from close to wide doesnt change the weight, obviously something is wrong. I dont know, I am going to try and focus on everything actually---chest, triceps, front delts, lats. Only because my bench has just been the biggest pain in my a*s and I feel like its going to take my forever to get to 350 or 365. I dont know yet, thanks for the post.

shredder: Hey thanks a lot for the support man, appreciate it. Yeah I was extremely pleased hitting 330 on CG. Wasnt quite sure if I was going to get it or not. About the ME lifts, I change them week to week. I rarely EVER do the same exercise week to week. This past 2 weeks I did, because 565 on deadlift felt so light. I had to come back the following week and just see if I could hit 6 plates. I dont know, well see what happens. Thanks for the post man.

Lesnar_Rocks: Hey thanks for the support man, really appreciate it. I am really trying to focus on size and strength for time being. But honestly, I really cannot be gaining much more weight. For the simple reason that I dont want to have to lose weight for the meet in July. I would hate to lose strength trying to drop weight fast.

• Diet/Supplements

Meal 1: peanut butter & banana sandwich, multi-vitamin/mineral, 2 Zantrex-3
      Meal 2: soy chips
      Meal 3: isopure protein shake
      Meal 4: macaroni & cheese, organic soda
      Meal 5: hot dog, 2 fruit popsicles
      Meal 6: 5" turkey sub, coffee ice-cream
      Meal 7: 3 ice-cream bars, 2% milk

Estimated Calories: ~5000

Diet f*cking sucked today, damnit. I cannot be have 5000 calorie rest days for much longer. I am really going to have to start bearing down on my calories. Keep it right around 4000 on training days and 3500 on non-training days. I really need to stay right about 220 lbs. and not much over that. Dont want to have to be cutting weight for my meet. Going to be sure to hit a TON of volume in tomorrow's speed squat/deadlift session.
    • Training---Rest
    • Miscellaneous

Training Length: N/A.
      Sleep: 4 + 4.5 hours
      Weight: N/A.
      Pain/Soreness: Ouch, I am aching today! Chest is stiff, lats are a little stiff, nothing extreme though. I think that my speed squat/deadlift session tomorrow will be good.
    • General Comments

For the most part I feel pretty damn good today. Today I have work from 2-7 which isnt too bad I dont think. Not really looking forward to it all that much, but whatever. Its so rainy here in Delaware I friggin' hate it! Bad weather just makes me feel sleepy, etc. Still putting a lot of thought into this meet in July. Trying to decide how many times I should test my deadlift max before then. I do NOT want to burn myself out.
    Last edited by MonStar; 04-18-2003 at 11:15 PM.

Bodybuilding Mythbuster
    550 for a state record? That's not bad, but you should smoke it no problem. As far as burning out maybe take a full week off lifting before the meet or something, so that you are fully rested before going in? As regards your deadlift max, I would test it maybe once a month. You are already pulling more than the record so I don't see the need to test it more often. Just my two cents.

Strongman
    Mike what happened to posting how many calories in each meal?? And why do certain posts dissapear in this journal? What's happening?
    Four-Time World's Strongest Man

is doing some cardio on off days such a bad thing? not being sarcastic, i just dont see why an added 30-40 minutes of cardio to ease your mind would or wouldnt hurt.
    A patriot must always be ready to defend his country against his government. - Edward Abbey

There is a wide difference between speaking to deceive, and being silent to be impenetrable. - Voltaire

If it can be imagined, it can be done. - Me

6'2"
    273 lbs.

ExtremeAnabolic: Thanks a lot for the input man, really really appreciate it. I agree that 550 isnt bad, but I will definitely break it without a doubt. I hit 585 without much of a problem. And in another 3 weeks or more Ill see how 605 feels. Damn thats going to be a great feeling to get over 600 lbs. I remember when getting over 500 was a HUGE deal, lol. I would love to pull 625 or so at the meet. Well see what happens. And I am not going to be testing my deadlift max that often before the meet. Thanks for the post again EA.

Magnus: I never posted the calories at the end of each meal, ever. I only posted the estimated calories for the entire day, thats all. Also, with deleting posts, all I do is delete the post and repost it with a response to someone else every now and then. Trying not to clutter up my journal too much, thats all. No big deal, really.

MrWebb: I dont know man, Ill keep that in mind. Its always an option I guess. I just personally HATE cardio, a lot. I mean when I used to do it I used to dread it so damn much. Who knows, thanks for the idea man.

• Diet/Supplements

Meal 1: whole milk, peanut butter crackers, multi-vitamin/mineral
      Meal 2: organic soda
      Meal 3: 2 cans chicken noodle soup
      Preworkout: 25 mg. ephedrine hcl, 2 Zantrex-3
      During Workout: 20 oz. Gatorade + 5g creatine + 5g glutamine + 1/2 tsp. salt
      Postworkout: 1 serving whey protein, 1 serving Cell-Tech, 200 mg. r-ALA
      Meal 7: hot dog, ice-cream bar
      Meal 8: 1 Burger King whopper, 1 Burger King 5-piece chicken tender, 1 Burger King onion ring
      Meal 9: 5" turkey sub, smores pie
      Meal 10: 2 slices pizza, 2% milk

Estimated Calories: ~4500
    • Training---DE Squat/Deadlift

Box Squats:

225 x 3 (3), 275 x 2, 295 x 1, 315 x 1 (2)

Some good sets of box squats today I think. My power and explosion off the box is not bad at all I dont think. Really impressed here today. 315 for 2 singles was pretty damn good I think.

Deadlifts:

315 x 3 (3), 365 x 1, 405 x 1, 455 x 1

Eh, not too much to say here. I think I went a TAD too heavy here on deadlifts today for a light day. Whatever. 3 plates for 3 triples was good. 365 bar speed was excellent, 405 bar speed was damn good too. Friggin' 455 though was WAY too damn slow. Sh*t.

Nautilus Leg Extensions:

Stack x 10 (4)

Good sets of leg extensions today I think. REALLY hit my friggin' thighs hard here today. Four sets was a lotta friggin' volume on my quads, talk about some excellent contractions in that area. I was extremely pleased here today.

Rope Cable Pull-throughs:

Stack x 8 (3)

Eh, not too much to say here I dont think. These 3 sets were actually very very exhausting. Really toasted my glutes and lower back and all that completely. Really nice sets here today.

Seated Calf Raises:

6 Plates + 30 lbs. x 12! (3), 4 Plates x 30

I keep adding weight to these seated calf raises, really feeling good with 6+ plates now. Calf contractions are right on. Damn I would love to get my calves growing, lol. 3 sets of 12 with 300 lbs. Then a set of 180 lbs. for 30.

Nautilus Crunches:

200 x 8 (3)

Nothing to say here really, good sets for my abs. Abs felt very very flabby which obviously is not a good thing. Whatever. Damn I want to tighten my midsection up..
    • Miscellaneous

Training Length: 50 minutes
      Sleep: 7 hours
      Weight: 227 lbs. (gym)
      Pain/Soreness: Not too sore today actually, for the most part I feel pretty damn good.
    • General Comments

Feel pretty damn good today I think. I am not too sure what I am going to do tomorrow since all of the gyms are closed for Easter. I am thinking I am just going to do a light bench session in my basement, if thats even possible. Ill do the best that I can. I know I can get a good back workout in my basement with bentover rows, so that should be nice. We'll see what happens.
    Last edited by MonStar; 04-20-2003 at 01:36 AM.

yo- happy easter

ybw

YoBrickWall: Thanks man, you too. Hope you have a great day.

Happy Easter...

• Diet/Supplements

Meal 1: cocoa puffs cereal + 2% milk, multi-vitamin/mineral
      Preworkout: 25 mg. ephedrine hcl, 2 Zantrex-3
      During Workout: 20 oz. Gatorade + 5g creatine + 5g glutamine + 1/2 tsp. salt
      Postworkout: 1 serving whey protein, 1 serving Cell-Tech, 200 mg. r-ALA
      Meal 4: beef ravioli
      Meal 5: 2 hot dogs, 2 fruit popsicles
      Meal 6: peanut butter & jelly sandwich
      Meal 7: ham & cheese sandwich
      Meal 8: 2 fruit popsicles

Estimated Calories: ~4200
    • Training---DE Bench

Worked out in my basement today, and I have one thing to say about this workout---INTENSE. I can really go nuts in my basement. In the gym I have to stay controlled, in my basement with the music jacked all the way up, I can let it all out.

Flat Barbell Presses:

115 x 3 (3), 165 x 2 (2), 185 x 1 (2)

Some good bar speed here today. I am trying to get used to using a slightly closer grip than I was before. So that really is going to take a little while to get used to I think. Just trying to put more triceps into my bench rather than all chest and delts. Bar speed was honestly very good for all of these sets today. I was happy.

Machine Chest Presses:

Stack x 8 (5)

Nice sets here today. I have a big Paramount machine in my basement that has a pretty good chest press on it. Hit my pecs fairly hard with these 5 sets. The stack in my basement is only like 210 lbs. or something, but its a LEGIT 210 lbs. Most machines 200 lbs. is really like 100 lbs. Not this one. 210 lbs. is HEAVY, lol.

Dumbbell Lateral Raises:

30 x 8 (5)

Eh, not too much to say here I dont think. Hit my delts pretty hard with all 5 sets here today. The last 2 sets or so were VERY intense. I was happy with my delt contractions. Delts looked awfully wide in my basement mirrors, hehe.

One-arm Cable Pressdowns:

50 x 8/8 (5)

Again, this 50 lbs. on my machine is probably around 100 lbs. on most cable stations. Used 50 lbs. for 5 sets of 8 on each arm. Nice sets here today. Really seemed to toast my triceps nicely. Good contractions and everything.

Bentover Underhand Cambered-bar Rows:

300 x 8!, 250 x 10 (2), 200 x 12

Wow, INTENSE sets of bentover rows here today. Talk about beating on my friggin' lats. Used a shoulder-width underhand grip. Pulling the bar to my waist, Yates style. Loaded my cambered-bar up as much as I could with the weights in my basement for my first set. Hit 8 reps with EXCELLENT form. Very good back contractions. Dropped down to 250 for 2 sets of 10. The second set of 10 was painful, lol, lats were done. 200 for 12 just finished my lats off.

Standing Barbell Curls:

135 x 6, 115 x 7

Biceps were obviously exhausted, because 135 felt like a million pounds to be curling. Some body English, but good biceps contractions. Hit 6 reps with 135 which was really nice I think. Dropped down to 115 for 7. Both sets toasted my biceps nicely.
    • Miscellaneous

Training Length: 40 minutes
      Sleep: 1 + 6.5 hours
      Weight: N/A.
      Pain/Soreness: Not too sore today I dont think. My hips and glutes and all that are pretty sore, but other than that I feel pretty damn good.
    • General Comments

Feel pretty good today! Went to church for once which is awesome for me. I rarely ever go, and I really need to get in that habit again. Looking for another job for some extra cash during the summer. $7 or so an hour really doesnt cut it for the way I like to spend money, lol. Really want to make some trips to the beach this summer, etc. So well see what happens I guess.
    Last edited by MonStar; 04-21-2003 at 01:49 AM.

Damn impressive workout Mike, i know what you mean about the intensity and going all out, mainly becuase you wont offend anyone with the tunes blasting out and shouting

Im waiting till i move out till i design my home gym, i figure if i can get a good set up at my home it will pay dividends in the long run, as the gym i go to costs £400 per annum, i get student rates so i only pay £25 for the entire year!!

You know what i have a chest machine like that at home, which you can also do lat-pulldowns and triceps push-downs and the weights are so much heavier than at the gym like you say.

Nice easter workout, your strength looked swell in all exercises. Hows your form on the lateral raises? if i went for 30's my form would go to pot, i try to keep my arms straight all the way up and down, i see some guys at the gym swinging heavy weights up with their arms bent and it looks terrible.

Incredible rows!! is that a PR? if so 300lbs is just amazing, especially considering you got 8 reps. Its my back day tommorow so im looking forward to hopefully getting a new PR, i might just try them underhand for a change of pace.

Great stuff mike keep it going and have a great day for the rest of easter.

B-R
    The only limits are the one's you place on yourself...

Calfless
    awesome rows bro....keep pullin

Ron: Thanks for chiming in man, really appreciate it. Yeah I agree about intensity at home versus in the gym. In the gym I feel like I have a lot of controlled intensity, but nothing compared to the intensity of some of my home workouts. My form on the lateral raises is perfect with the 30s man. The only time that my form starts to suffer is when I get up to using the 50s or so, then I might use a little body English. Nothing too bad though. I have seen some guys just heave the weight up and not get any kind of delt contractions at all. When I go heavy Ill raise the weight and try not to use a lot of body English, and then lower it slowly to get to the full effect. Yeah man, 300 for 8 is a PB, hence that its red with an exclamation point aftwards, lol. Just messin' with ya man. Yeah that was a HELL of a good set too, didnt expect to get 8 reps at all, damn. Anyway, thanks for the post man.

pagan: Hey thanks a lot man, really appreciate the support. I was very pleased with my bentover rows actually, talk about an intense set, damn.

Banned
    Monstar, just wanted to comment on your current bodyweight. This is kind of a poor comment to make to someone who is already obsessed with it, but I think that if you want to enter the meet at 220 lbs then you need to be careful. I just think that if you're scrambling to LOSE weight the last week or so before the meet then this could have an adverse effect on your strength.

Note, that I could be way off base here because I really don't know an awful lot about powerlifting, but it would make sense to me that you'd want to eat big the days leading up to a meet, not have to be dieting down. Just my 2 cents.