The Five Biggest Contradictions in Fitness
Latest Article

The Five Biggest Contradictions in Fitness

Itís no secret that when people contradict themselves, it has the effect of making the flaws in their actions or statements seem glaringly obvious. But what about when WE ourselves get caught contradicting ourselves by someone else?

By: Nick Tumminello Added: January 6th, 2014
More Recent Articles
Contrast Training for Size
By: Lee Boyce
An Interview with Marianne Kane of Girls Gone Strong
By: Jordan Syatt
What Supplements Should I be Taking? By: Jay Wainwright
Bench Like a Girl By: Julia Ladewski
Some Thoughts on Building a Big Pull By: Christopher Mason

Facebook Join Facebook Group       Twitter Follow on Twitter       rss Subscribe via RSS
Page 1 of 14 12311 ... LastLast
    Jack's Utter Surprise Saturday Fever's Avatar

April 12-13 (a temporary journal)

OK, so the USAPL Northern California Championships are on April 12-13. I plan to get into them and compete, but whether I'm in the 198s or 220s is to be determined. Of course I'd like to be lighter, but since the goal for the year is to reach 240, I won't complain either way. I'll be doing Westside (duh) but rather than set out a routine, I'm just going to work and feel out my weaknesses and alter days to overcome those weaknesses. I'm going to set my diet at 5000 calories a day.

Goals for the meet are a 3-4-5 total. 315 on bench, 405 on squats or deads, and 495 on deads or squats. It's a USAPL meet so I know I have to learn to squat deeper than I'm used to squatting, but hard work is the new buzzword. I'm going to get a bench shirt, a Fury if anyone is curious. I won't work with it until the last 6 weeks before the meet, and even then just to get a better, more secure bearing on benchind with a wide grip. I am debating a squat suit, we'll touch that topic again in 2 months.
    Last edited by Saturday Fever; 01-03-2003 at 01:13 PM.

2.    Support Wannabebig and use AtLarge Nutrition Supplements!

Have you recently tested your maxes?

Don't worry so much about setting poundage goals... just go lift. Trust me... it's hard to do, but makes the experience a heck of a lot more fun.
    Squats work better than supplements.
    "You know, if I thought like that, I'd never put more than one plate on the bar for anything, I'd never use bands or chains, I'd never squat to parallel or below, and I'd never let out the slightest grunt when I lift. At some point in your lifting career (assuming you're planning on getting reasonably strong and big), you're going to have to accept that most people think you are some kind of freak." -Sensei
    "You're wrong, and I have a completely irrelevant pubmed abstract that may or may not say so." - Belial
    I has a blog.
    I has a facebook.

Testing my maxes, without a judge aside from my training partner, is listed in my signature. I agree though, I will keep a goal, but really I just want to lift and get some true numbers to beat later.

How recent are those?
    "You know, if I thought like that, I'd never put more than one plate on the bar for anything, I'd never use bands or chains, I'd never squat to parallel or below, and I'd never let out the slightest grunt when I lift. At some point in your lifting career (assuming you're planning on getting reasonably strong and big), you're going to have to accept that most people think you are some kind of freak." -Sensei
    "You're wrong, and I have a completely irrelevant pubmed abstract that may or may not say so." - Belial
    I has a blog.
    I has a facebook.

All within 2 months time.

Good luck getting your strength up for the meet SF. Really looking forward to seeing how you do. I am sure youll do fine.

beercan
    If you decide on a suit, get a champion suit from monster muscle. Best 40 bucks you can spend. I've had mine for about 9 months and I love it.
    "I do declare; still, a man hears what he wants to hear and disregards the rest."

OK, the journey begins tomorrow. Things are settled now finally, so I'm going to be able to get started. I think I'm going to basically do tons of main lift work and add in assistance work when I find new weak points. So a ME Bench day might look like this...

95x5
    135x5
    155x3 on 5 board
    185x3 on 3 board
    205x3 on 3 board
    215x? on 2 board
    225x? on 2 board

...followed up with low volume, extreme intensity triceps work or whatever has been a weakpoint. Bands and such will get tossed in of course, and as soon as I get a shirt, it'll be incorporated as well.

Looks good man. I think that you will definitely be able to up your lifts a good bit by the contest. Really looking forward to seeing how you do. A legitimate 250 lbs. bench, 3 plate squat, and 4 plate deadlift would be impressive though man. Even though I am sure youre striving for more.

ME Bench

I straight ripped **** today, by my standards. My alcohol strike is in full effect so my body feels "clean." I have also been excessing on calories like a madman. Here's my diet for today (and the last 3 days):

Meal 1: 2 cups oatmeal w/ brown sugar, 6 egg omelette, 1 serving N-Large
    Meal 2: 2 servings N-Large
    Meal 3: 1lb Turkey, 1lb steamed carrots, 1 cup steamed rice, 1 Glutamax shake
    Post-workout: 1 Pepsi, 2 servings N-Large, 1 Altoid (word to sugar)
    Meal 4: 2 chicken breasts, 1 cup steamed rice, 1 Glutamax shake

5 and 6 are coming but the last 3 days they've been 1-2lb turkey/chicken/fish, rice, veggies and a glutamax shake. Before bed I kill a double shot of N-Large.

So the workout today went something like this...

Bench (off the chest with a 1sec. pause)
    45x5
    95x5
    115x5
    135x5
    185x3
    215x3
    225x3
    245x1
    260x1

I started to lose my straight bar path on the last 2 singles, so I decided some upper back/rear delt work was in order.

Elbows-out Skulls
    5 sets of 6 with 105lbs

Killin it.

Chest Supported Rows
    4 plates for 3 reps
    3 plates and a 25 for 6
    3 plates for 6

Rear Delt Mini-band Pulls
    Did 3 sets of 8

So that was that, smashed PR on the bench and ripped some ass on triceps and my back. I'm on fire, I can't be stopped. I'll be weighing myself every Friday from now on. Today I weighed in at 196.

AWESOME session SF!!

Damn I really like the way your journal looks. Great to see your meals and all that. What is Glutamax? And how the hell do you afford all that N-Large man? I am assuming that those bench maxes were legitimate, correct? In other words they werent suspended lifts were they? I cant tell because you said 'off of the chest.' In other words I cannot tell if you unracked the weight and all that. Benched 260 with a friggin' pause off your chest man, thats friggin' NUTS! Good work.

Hey what kind of chest supported rows are they? I am wondering if its the same thing that I use. Mine is a Paramount machine, great for my lats. What kind of grip did you use for them?

I buy N-Large at cost from a coworker who doubles at a Nutri-Sport store. So I'm spending around $22 a bucket on mine, and I bought 10. Actually a big gamble on my part because historically I've been really lazy about making shakes. But I'm determined and I'm ready to do this.

The bench was legit, I think. I unracked, brought it to my chest, held for 1 second, and pushed as usual. I just had strength today. I put my grip between my usual grip and a wide grip.

I'll see if I can hunt down a pic of the row.

SF: Okay SF, awesome work on the bench man. Really seriosuly impressive. Wessstttiiidddeee baby! Exciting man especially since I am training very similar to how you are. I would love to hit 315 on bench. I am shooting for 500 on deadlifts next Thursday. Damn I am going to be excited if I get it.

Yeah I am interested to see the pic of the row.

ME Sq/DL Day

Once again, I ****ed **** up. I had a small audience for the deadlift, as most had never seen one and the rest figured I was being dumb trying to pull it. I'm happy to say I taught some people the deadlift and I showed the others up.

Deadlift (sumo style of course)
    45x5
    135x5
    185x1
    225x1
    255x1
    295x1
    365x1
    405x1
    425x1
    455x1
    460x1

I was pulling like a madman. It was almost better than sex. Almost, I said.

Good AMs
    5 sests of 5 with 185

I took these low as hell and I think I might actually be typing this dead.

Hyperextensions
    3 sets of 8 with a 35lb plate and a miniband

Food and such was right on target. I'm happy to say I finished my 2nd tub of N-Large this morning and have begun demolishing the third. I ran out of Glutamax as well, so perhaps I'll find something to replace it with. Or maybe I'll just eat more!. Anyways, I feel like I could beat anyone's ass, but only if they give me a couple days to recover.

SF: AWESOME work on the deadlifts man!! Jesus you are tearing it up.. setting new PBs all over the friggin' place. Talk about impressive. Damn youre beating me now bro. I dont know how youre making such huge jumps in strength. Good work though SF---and keep up the hard work man!!

I dont know how youre making such huge jumps in strength.
    It's all about having 5 days in a row with over 8000 calories. Yes I'm going to become a huge fatass eventually, but I'll trade some fat for excess energy anyday.

Oh, and not that tiday is an "official" weigh-in day, the scale this morning read 204. That's 8 pounds from yesterday, so we'll assume that's a lot of water and some food still in my body waiting to digest.

Good Lord SF!!!! I was trying to catch up to you, but you are leaving me totally in the dust. You are unreal man. Are you dabblin in the goodies or something? You are like a totally new man. SOmething is definately going on. You are dropping old PR's like flys. I am utterly shocked.

No goodies for me. I attribute it to the accelerated diet. I have complained from day 1 that my diet was off. Not to mention that I feel I was overtraining before without knowing it. I was duplicating some of the Westside guy's routines, but not duplicating their "supplements" if you get my drift. So I took a couple weeks off to get settled and load up on energy.

You are like a totally new man.
    I have taken an entirely new approach to the gym. I used to go to the gym, listen to whatever was on the radio on the way. I'd get in, smile and talk with the hot girl at the counter, get changed and workout. Now it's all about being intense. I've burned cd's with intense music to listen to on the way and during the workout. I've thrown my gloves away and started using chalk. I just feel more like I'm there on a mission. By the meet in April I'm going to weigh 220+ and there's no way I'm showing up weighing that much and lifting like a 136lb girl. No offense to the ladies here.

But it's all about diet and intensity, I've always bitched about both and now I'm doing something about it.

SF: Wow, some awesome posts here. Good job on the lifts. I mean theyre seriously impressive as hell. (glad to see you modified your signature ) Again, good work! Nice work really getting serious about your diet and all that. Thats seriously a really important part of strength training that I think many of us overlook. Good job also tossing out those stupid gloves, chalk and weights baby!! Again, keep up the hard work. Weight kind of weights do you think youll be tossing around by the competition? I would love to see you bench 3 plates, pull 5 plates,. and squat 4 plates.

Man SF, you have sure inspired me. That is definite ambition and enthusiasm toward your goal. I think I should maybe modify my diet as well, I could prolly use and extra thousand or two calories. Keep it up man. If you keep working hard like you are now and keep making gains, you will definately clean up in April. Excellent job!

The calories are easy to do considering the amount of N-Large I'm consuming in a day (600+ calories per serving). Today I was busy with a bag of boneless, skinless chicken breasts on the Foreman Grill, because I wanted to make a lot of food to have to eat and snack on during the week. But instead I ate half the bag and now I only have 7 breasts left for the week.

I'm really hoping for the 3-4-5 at the meet. But I have no idea what to expect with regards to rules and judging and such. Hopefully if I get red-flagged for not squatting deep enough or something, I will at least have a serious amount of weight on my shoulders. I just don't want to get flagged for depth and only have 275 up there, you know? And the dead at 460 was the slowest thing ever. I've had sex faster than the time it took me to get the weight up. (no, really)

At any rate, yes I would definitely say diet is among the top 2 for things to focus on for strength training. The other being a solid routine, of course.

I don't mean to be gross or anything, but seriously, I've had some horrendous gas since putting my protein intake through the roof. It got so bad earlier I lost the ability to see in my right eye and my neighbor's dog keeled over dead.

DE Bench Day

Did well today, enjoyed the session, which is rare for me because I hate speed work. But alls well that ends OK.

Speed Bench
    45x3
    95x3
    135x3
    195x3 (8)

Speed was good I suppose. I forgot to use 3 grips, so everything was done with my usual close grip.

6" Lockouts
    3 sets of 8 with 275

OH Dumbell Ext
    30x6 (3)

OH DB Press (on a swiss ball)
    25x10 (3)

Man. Everything was all good until we jumped on the swiss ball for the OH Press. That was the most humbling experience ever. I'm not ashamed to admit that I cheated on a number of reps. My triceps feel thoroughly destroyed.

That dead is awesome.

Drop your DE bench weight by 20-30 pounds, and see if the speed improves. Also - don't forget your lats.

Well done!
    I has a blog.
    I has a facebook.