The Five Biggest Contradictions in Fitness
Latest Article

The Five Biggest Contradictions in Fitness

Itís no secret that when people contradict themselves, it has the effect of making the flaws in their actions or statements seem glaringly obvious. But what about when WE ourselves get caught contradicting ourselves by someone else?

By: Nick Tumminello Added: January 6th, 2014
More Recent Articles
Contrast Training for Size
By: Lee Boyce
An Interview with Marianne Kane of Girls Gone Strong
By: Jordan Syatt
What Supplements Should I be Taking? By: Jay Wainwright
Bench Like a Girl By: Julia Ladewski
Some Thoughts on Building a Big Pull By: Christopher Mason

Facebook Join Facebook Group       Twitter Follow on Twitter       rss Subscribe via RSS
Page 1 of 6 123 ... LastLast

Hybrid View

MonStar's Return to Westside

NOTE: I talked to a few MODs about this, and I am going to have a new Westside journal. Not the OLD one, or my bodybuilding split journal. So please, no one SPAM or MESS with this thread at all. Thank you.

After putting MUCH thought into this. And talking to a lot of different people---I have decided to return to Westside.

I am going to correct every single mistake that I made on it before, and make sure that this time around, its a LOT more fun. I think I am really really going to enjoy it this time around. I talked to Saturday Fever a good bit about how I am going to make it more fun, and even get better results on it than I did before.

The biggest thing that made me want to go back to Westside was simply how many people told me again and again. "You have gotten so much bigger the past few months, etc. etc." And I had done nothing but Westside the past few months. So this really made me stop and think, wow, Westside worked extremely well for me. My split this time around is going to be as follows:

M---Rest
    T---ME Squat/Deadlift
    W---Rest
    T---ME Bench
    F---Rest
    S---DE Squat/Deadlift
    S---DE Bench

Pretty straight forward, again.

Again guys, please no useless negative posts. I appreciate it.
    Last edited by MonStar; 04-10-2003 at 11:57 PM.

2.    Support Wannabebig and use AtLarge Nutrition Supplements!

Simplistic
    Good luck Monstar. Someday I will try Westside, I've heard nothing but good things about it.

Pocket Canuck
    WOW, what a big change Monstar!
    As long as you hit the weights as hard as you always do....
    YOU WILL GROW!
    p.s. I just finished my 5's in my first HST program and luv it!
    Last edited by Sheik; 04-08-2003 at 11:46 AM.
    --- Sheik ---
    Age-31
    Height - 5'6"
    Weight - 185ish

Neil: Thanks a lot for the support man, really really appreciate it a lot. I really hope that everyone supports my return to Westside. I am going to modify a few things as you guys know. From example including HST principles, etc. These are all modifications that I feel will really benefit me. So well see what happens.

Sheik: Thanks for the kind words man, appreciate it. Yeah man you know that Ill be going friggin' heavy. Shooting for a 565 lbs. deadlift tonight. Wish me luck man! 555 lbs. was friggin' torture, rep was extremely slow, etc. Well see what happens with 565. Hopefully all goes well.

Good luck with WS Mike.

I think you had some excelent results with the program.

So does this mean that you may try a PL meet some day?
    Current Stats --------------- Training Goals: Improve athletic conditioning.
    Squat - 305lbs - 1/23/06 ----- 335
    Deadlift - 415lbs - 2/4/06 ---- 435
    Bench - 90s*7 ----------------- 100s*5
    Weight - 208 ------------------ 190
    Height - 5'10"

My Journal|My Routine|My FitDay
    WBBB|"Many of life's failures are people who did not realize how close they were to success when they gave up" - Thomas Edison

Well, congrats on journal number 17!

I probably would benefit from westside since I'm more interested in powerlifting, but I guess I don't since I enjoy the bodybuilding routines. I'm sure it is a matter of time before I eventually give it a try though. With how your lifts improved on your last westside, I wouldn't be surprised if you are up with some of the strongest on this site within the next few months. Good luck.
    5-9 170

On Auto Pilot:******* Huge Alke's Avatar
    Hey monstar! good luck with your new westside routines, I know you musta put a lot of thought into how you want to proceed with your routines.......I know you will get good results whatever you decide on. I only just started reaading your journals the last 6 weeks that I been a memeber, but I must say you always give 110%, so good luck bro'!

I been thinking about my own routines and will be changing to something with less volume after this particular 5 week session.

I'm still reading a lot on westside as well and am watching how you do the routines to help me get a better understanding of it before I try anything with it
    My Journal
    Progress Pic

1RM's
    30MAY03 = 800 Total - Bench 230, Squat 245, Deadlift 325
    22OCT04 = 960 Total - Bench 275, Squat 305, Deadlift 380

Most push-ups in one minute = 102 (BW:195lbs)

Some men see things as they are and say, "Why?" I dream things that never were and say, "Why not?" - George B. Shaw

FOOD is my drug of choice

eric: Thanks a lot for the support man, really really appreciate it. Yeah youre exactly right, I did have some awesome results on Westside. And that is the biggest reason that I am coming back to it. I have heard again and again and again from guys that the past few months I got so much bigger, bla bla bla. That really told me something. My strength has also shot WAY up on Westside. So thats obviously a good sign. I am not sure about a meet. I am really leaning towards no. But hey, I cant say what will happen 6 months from now.

ryan: I do think that I will gain a lot of strength the next 6 months or so. I really hope to be up to par with Narc's rows or Belial and mason's strength in the next 6 months to a year. I definitely think that a 600-615 lbs. deadlift is in my sight maybe by mid-summer. Well see what happens. Chris Morris, VERY experienced powerlifter from my gym said that if I am pulling 565 after only 4 months of deadlifting, I should be mid-600s in no time. So who knows. I feel extremely strong on deadlifts. Bench not as much, squats not as much. I really think that in the next 6 months or so like I said my deadlift will really take off. Thanks for chiming in man, appreciate it.

Kenn: Thanks a lot for the kind words Kenn, I really really appreciate it. Yeah, I do put a lot of thought into my training. More than you guys know, lol. Most of the time just trying to optimize my genetic potential which I really think I am doing with Westside. I am telling you Kenn if you really want to up your size and strength Westside is the way to go. I was under the impression for the longest time that Westside was all strength and no size, damn was I mistaken.
    Last edited by MonStar; 04-10-2003 at 09:31 AM.

• Diet/Supplements

Meal 1: 1/2 peanut butter sandwich, skim milk, multi-vitamin/mineral
      Meal 2: luna bar
      Meal 3: hot pocket, powdered donut, 1% milk
      Meal 4: isopure protein shake
      Meal 5: box macaroni & cheese, organic soda
      Preworkout: 25 mg. ephedrine hcl, 2 Zantrex-3
      During Workout: 20 oz. Gatorade + 5g creatine + 5g glutamine + 1/2 tsp. salt
      Postworkout: 1 serving whey protein, 1 serving Cell-Tech, 200 mg. r-ALA
      Meal 9: skim milk

Estimated Calories: ~3500
    • Training---ME Squat/Deadlift

Deadlifts:

135 x 3, 225 x 3, 315 x 2, 405 x 2, 565 x 1!

WOW, very very happy with my strength here today. I havnt been this pleased with my deadlifts in a long, long, time. I SMOKED 565. And I mean I f*cking smoked it. Worked myself up to 565 with some lighter sets. Got really pissed, really focused, and just pulled hard. I guarantee Ill have 6 plates in no friggin' time. Ill probably test my max again during the beginning of May, and shoot for 6 plates. Maybe have a guy snap a pic or 2, we'll see. Anyway, 565 really wasnt bad at all. I am not going to say the rep was fast, but the bar speed was not slow AT ALL the way 555 was. Anyway, I was happy.

I want to note that I wore wrestling shoes, and that I trained around 7:30 PM, after a full day's worth of calories.

Leg Presses:

20 Plates x 6!, 18 Plates x 8, 16 Plates x 8

Some damn good sets of leg presses today. Used 20 plates for my first set, OUCH! This is just so much damn weight. I cant even start to imagine how sore my friggin' thighs are going to be tomorrow. Anyway, 18 plates for 8 was hard, and finally 16 plates for 8 was also a b*tch. My overall thoughts of leg presses are good. I HATE loading the f*cking thing up though, takes so much time.

Hyperextensions:

75 x 5 (3)

Some good sets of hypers today. Blasted my lower back and hamstrings and glutes completely. Really really good sets here today. Not much to say here, lower back was fried from the DLs, so this was just torture. Nice sets though.

Seated Calf Raises:

4 Plates + 70 lbs. x 15 (4)

Some good sets of seated calf raises today, I was very pleased with my strength here. Used four 45s, and two 35s. Hit up 4 sets of 15 reps. Calves were really getting a hell of a good burn and everything like that. Would like to see my calves gain a good 1/2-1" in the next few months. Not sure it will happen though, lol.

Nautilus Crunches:

Stack x 5 (2), 200 x 8

Some good sets of Nautilus crunches today, really pleased with my ab contractions here. Nice way to finish up my workout I think. Hit my midsection hard. Used the entire stack for 2 sets of 5---OW! Good sets.
    • Miscellaneous

Training Length: 55 minutes
      Sleep: 7 hours
      Weight: 225 lbs. (gym)
      Pain/Soreness: Not too sore today at all actually, which is pretty damn nice.
    • General Comments

Really happy about my strength today in the gym. Overall workout was EXCELLENT. Anyway, today I missed class because I slept in my contacts and my right eye got extremely bloodshot. Had to get an eye-drop perscription, etc. Oh well. Tried to get a Prelude muffler/exhaust tips welded on my Accord, couldnt do it. I was pretty pissed, but oh well. Anyway, really really glad to be back on Westside actually. Had a GREAT time at the gym tonight. Strength was right on, intensity and all that was excellent too.

Spent a good while tonight talking to my gym's strongest powerlifter, Chris Morris. The guy pulled mid-700s, benches mid-400s, just an all around powerhouse. He's trying to convince me to compete. I was saying that I dont really workout for any kind of competition, etc. He was just going on and on about how a 19-year old that can lift this much shouldnt let it go to waste, etc. I dont know, I am not really into competition for some reason. Well see what happens.
    Last edited by MonStar; 04-11-2003 at 11:21 PM.

Pocket Canuck
    Awesome lift man!
    I might have to consider going to the "Westside" in the fall.
    I really don't stay all that dedicated in the summer months.
    --- Sheik ---
    Age-31
    Height - 5'6"
    Weight - 185ish

Good job on the deadlift man. I don't think my leg press could hold that many plates though.
    Squat - 505
    Bench - 325
    Deadlift - 550
    Total - 1380@175

LoL, make up your mind man! Heehee, jus messin. You really were seein awesome results with westside. I am also going to start westside. After this week, I am going to take a week off and then start it, my GHR should be in by then. I am really hoping for some good results.

Sheik: Yeah man I really think that you should go for Westside in the fall, youll really really like it if you ask me. Your strength will probably shoot WAY up, along with some good size gains as well. As long as youre eating enough. Trust me man, I was so damn happy after pulling 565, you have no idea. It just felt very good. Not like 555. When I pulled 555 I didnt think I was going to pull anymore than that for a VERY long time. Bar went so damn slow it was unbelievable. 565, though, somehow, wasnt too bad.

dkliewer: Thanks a lot for the support man, appreciate it. Yeah I was extremely pleased with my deadlift today. Damn. I am sure that you leg press could hold that many plates, mine holds that many with a LOT of room to spare. Its 10 plates on each side, and then there is the top thing that can hold even more plates, lol.

Hercule: Yeah man, I just thought about it and what good results I got on Westside, and had to come back to this program. I really like a bodybuilding split, but I am going to juggle things around with Westside and really make it more enjoyable. Good luck with Westside man, I am looking forward to seeing how you do with it.

Simplistic
    Man, that's killer dead. I'm like a few hundred pounds away from that. Have you ever done them with a narrow stance?
    Last edited by Neil; 04-08-2003 at 09:14 PM.

Neil: Thanks for the support man, really appreciate it a ton. I was extremely pleased with my 565 pull tonight. I couldnt even believe it after I did it. LOL, I had to check to make sure that it was 565---it seriously felt like I left a plate off. Anyway, like I have said, I think Ill own 6 plates in no time. I have never really pulled with conventional. I dont plan to either, I feel very strong with a sumo stance, I have no reason to switch to conventional.

great job on the d.l.... after my show i plan to work up to 550. i also want 6 plates and will get it,someday.

loading the leg press i know what u mean. i usually find two suckers that are just standing around. funny thing is ther proud u ask them when u know yo using them.

YoBrickWall: Thanks a lot for the kind words YBW, appreciate it man. Good luck with your show and good luck getting up to a 550 lbs. pull. I really want 6 plates, damn that is going to be an awesome f*ckin'' feeling. I cant wait to hit 6 plates. I actually might shoot for 575 first. I was thinking and I dont think that a 20 lbs. increase is the best idea after all. 5 or 10 lbs. is more reasonable. Anyway man, thanks for chiming in.

no problem. when lifting weights its always hard to decide which way to go but in the end as long as u go up yo happy.

this summer lil greg(300lbs) comes home for break im gonna change my reps to 6,6,4,2. since he's a big boy and strong itll push me.
    right now im at 175 and 4%. im gonna get back to 200 and 10% hoping to get to 220 get stronger but want to stay in the 10% area. dunno but will let u know.
    Last edited by YoBrickWall; 04-09-2003 at 08:18 AM.

YoBrickWall: Yeah man, I really think that you should bulk up. No reason to be a 175 lbs. and 4% bodyfat unless youre competiting. I cant imagine your strength being too great at 175 and such a low % of bodyfat. I dont know, just my personal opinion. Anyway man, it will be nice to see how much strength you gain on Westside. Personally, I think that the strength gains especially were just nuts. In around 3.5 months I had added 100 lbs. to my deadlift, and a good 30 lbs. to my bench.

Jack's Utter Surprise Saturday Fever's Avatar
    Often times, just doing things right will lead to great gains. That's why I am such an advocate of Westside. It wasn't just something some guys thought up and started marketing. It's based on lots of solid science. And I think the results speak for themselves.

Likewise I think a lot of the problems people encounter are because they want to do "bodybuilding" routines, but they want to be natural. That's a complete contradiction. Bodybuilders aren't natural. And if they are serious and natural, it never lasts. That's not a putdown, either. Simply that bodybuilders tend to go nowhere with "bodybuilding". They may see strength increases, however minimal, but their "bodybuilding" efforts go for naught. Then the serious guys switch to steroids, which is more or less a paved way to "bodybuilding."

For a natural lifter, the hardest thing to believe is that to get big naturally, you have to have fat. And the bigger you get, the more fat you have to have, and there's really no way around it. Of course with the fat gains, the "cut" look goes away and people, rather than believe the truth, tend to try the latest "routine" or drug.

Saturday Fever: Youre absolutely right about your opinion on bodybuilding SF. If youre not willing to go the anabolics route, you mine as well stop wasting your time. No one will ever make it all that far in bodybuilding without dabbing in the juice. And from what I have encountered just in my small experience with bodybuilders, a minor cycle isnt going to cut it. I also agree to an extent that for a natural lifter to get big, you must gain SOME fat. I do NOT, however agree with what you said here:

And the bigger you get, the more fat you have to have, and there's really no way around it.
    I do think that some fat must be added in addition to lean body mass. But I do not think you need to gain 50 lbs. of fat to gain 50 lbs. of muscle. At least not in my personal experience. The times in which I gained a lot of fat I was eating FAR too many calories, and I didnt gain an appreciable amount of LBM at all. On Westside I would say that I gained a good 10 lbs. or so, and not much of that was fat at all. Again, I am just speaking from my own personal experience.

• Diet/Supplements

Meal 1: 2 buttermilk waffles + maple syrup, skim milk, multi-vitamin/mineral, 2 Zantrex-3
      Meal 2: 1 Wendy's small frosty, 1 Wendy's 5-piece chicken tender
      Meal 3: pastrami & cheese sandwich, potato chips, iced tea
      Meal 4: cheese pasta + tomato sauce, 2% milk
      Meal 5: 2% milk
      Meal 6: brownie, 2% milk

Estimated Calories: ~4000
    • Training---Rest
    • Miscellaneous

Training Length: N/A.
      Sleep: 8 hours
      Weight: N/A.
      Pain/Soreness: Leg soreness is really starting to set in as the day goes on. Nothing TOO bad just yet, which is nice.
    • General Comments

Really glad to be back on Westside. I am trying to overcome whatever form of OCD I have. And whatever other psychological problems that I have. I am going to try hard to STICK with Westside, and not let any kind of obsession throw off my focus. I know that it is what works for me, so there is no reason I should change from this program. If for some reason I come to a HUGE stagnation, and just start completely hating the workouts, then I might try and modify things ON Westside, not just drop it like I did last time. Stupid mistake.
    Last edited by MonStar; 04-10-2003 at 12:26 AM.

Jack's Utter Surprise Saturday Fever's Avatar
    I didn't say the ratio of fat:muscle was 1:1. Simply that you cannot get bigger without gaining fat. It's a fact. You can't gain 30lbs of muscle and not gain any fat. A lot of people will say you can and that I'm full of ****. My response to them would be to say "OK, name one natural person that has, ever." And they won't be able to answer.

Saturday Fever: Oh yeah, I COMPLETELY agree with you there SF. It is inevitable for someone to gain muscle, and be natural, theyre going to gain some fat too. Thats just common sense to me, I cant see why anyone would argue against that. I am under the belief though that how much fat you gain is a variable. For example if youre just taking in enough food/calories to slowly gain weight, I dont think you would gain as much bodyfat as someone who pigged out excessively and added 20 lbs. in a week.

Wannabebig Member
    I don't think the pics you take with your web-cam do enough justice for you. In the back pose for instance, the lightening hides many of your cuts, such as the heads of triceps in your arms. You should get someone with a digital camera to take picture of you outside. I'm sure people here will be much more impressed with your development.