The Five Biggest Contradictions in Fitness
Latest Article

The Five Biggest Contradictions in Fitness

Itís no secret that when people contradict themselves, it has the effect of making the flaws in their actions or statements seem glaringly obvious. But what about when WE ourselves get caught contradicting ourselves by someone else?

By: Nick Tumminello Added: January 6th, 2014
More Recent Articles
Contrast Training for Size
By: Lee Boyce
An Interview with Marianne Kane of Girls Gone Strong
By: Jordan Syatt
What Supplements Should I be Taking? By: Jay Wainwright
Bench Like a Girl By: Julia Ladewski
Some Thoughts on Building a Big Pull By: Christopher Mason

Facebook Join Facebook Group       Twitter Follow on Twitter       rss Subscribe via RSS
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Wannabebig Member

Protein Shakes instead of Eggs

Hi Everyone,

I'm fresh to this site and wanted to post a question that has probably come up many times before but honestly, due to slow connection speeds I gave up trying to search for it.

I just started training at local community gym and have hired knowledgeable help in my quest to develop my body to a desired level. I have been told that my current diet needs a complete overhaul and I especially need to increase my intake of eggs each day. I find that my time management skills at home really blow and wanted to know if it would be just as beneficial to digest protein shakes instead of digesting eggs on a regular basis. My workout consists many of upper body strength training as well as I do regular bicycle rides of approximately 80 to 100 KM a week, roughly 3-4x a week. I know the body uses protein to build muscle and wasn't sure if this shortcut would be doing more harm than good to my body.

Any insight into my problem would be valued greatly. I'll discuss this with my trainer the next we meet. I'm supposed to have my body fat tested to chart my progress. Currently I'm 6', 170lbs with a slim build. Thanks again for your help.
    TIMIDKAT

2.    Support Wannabebig and use AtLarge Nutrition Supplements!

Banned
    You don't need to increase the intake of one food specifically, that's ridiculous. If you don't like eggs, or don't have time to prepare them, then don't eat them. However, a protein shake does not really take the place of eggs. If at all possible, shakes should be kept to postworkout because they get digested so quickly. You should try to find some other whole foods that you would rather eat, or have more time to prepare. Another option is to make up a bunch of eggs or chicken breasts one night and eat them for the next couple of days. I'm sure you can find time in your busy schedule to do that. I'm also a huge fan of cottage cheese, and that takes no time to prepare at all.

:withstupi

I think your "help" wants to increase your protein intake. If this is so, then you don't HAVE to eat eggs, but eggwhite + 1 yolk omellets(sp) are an easy meal to prepare. You can also eat Boneless,skinless chicken breasts, meat, fish (yay tuna!), to achieve this. If you want to supplement with shakes do so, but as supplements only. They are not generally hamfull. Whey protein shakes are digested pretty quickly so are best left PWO. But sometimes I like to mix a shake with skim milk during the day, for a quick fix. If you want to, you can get egg protein (albumin) powders to supplement, but there really is no need.

Make time for preparing your meals, you can do this ahead of time like Vido said. This will help you get really committed to your new healthy lifestyle.

Too bad about your connection speed.
    "The highest reward for man's toil is not what he gets for it, but what he becomes by it." -John Ruskin 1819-1900

"He who fights monsters should see to it that in the process, he does not
    become a monster. And when you look into the abyss, the abyss also looks into
    you." - Nietzche

I agree with the other in that planning goes a long way as far as diet goes.

My workout consists many of upper body strength training as well as I do regular bicycle rides of approximately 80 to 100 KM a week, roughly 3-4x a week.
    Also I recommend training your legs with weights. Squats are an excellent exercise

Omelletes nuke good. I never eat egg whites, but if you are gonna go that route remember you are losing about half the protein.
    I used to have protein shake and a bagel often for breakfast, for speed.
    What I like now if 12oz milk 2 raw eggs, some pb, some oats and a banna if I have one through in a blender. Also a little chocalte milk powder doesn't hurt. If you get sick from the eggs and die don't sue me.

Eggs are a complete protein..... protein shakes are only complete if made with milk. So ya.....they aren't exactly interchangable I don't think.

Originally posted by Ritzol
    Eggs are a complete protein..... protein shakes are only complete if made with milk. So ya.....they aren't exactly interchangable I don't think.
    Protein shakes are a complete source of protein.

Ecoli die
    Most protein shakes are complete protein. Did you ask your trainer specifically why you should eat more eggs vs more protein in general?

Sounds to me like he's just picking his favorite protein and saying you need more of that.
    Now in pain, only working out the walking sticks.

the stone cold stunner Ironman8's Avatar
    IMO, go with the eggs. It has healthy fats and vitamins, iron, as well as the protein.
    You kill me in a dream, you better wake up and apologize....

Mystic Eric
    Originally posted by Ritzol
    Protein shakes are complete. Although I'm not sure whether whey or eggs have a better amino acid profile. But nonetheless, vido is right about whey being digested too quickly. Eggs are a better overall choice than whey exept for after workouts.

What about whey in the morning, since you haven't eaten all night? Would it be good to have something digested fast, then follow up with a full meal in an hour or two? Never really thought about it before.

Banned
    Berserker, that sounds good in theory, but I know there is something wrong with it in practice...I just can't remember exactly what it is. I think it has something to do with the whey turning into glucose and not being utilized as protein normally would be, due to the state your body is in after being deprived of food for so long. I do remember that when you combine the whey with other foods, however, the negative effects are lessened.

The good thing about whey is that it can be stored easily for a quick meal. If you were out it a lot better than some fast food choices. Mix it with some water and add some nuts, and your set for a few hours

Originally posted by Vido
    Berserker, that sounds good in theory, but I know there is something wrong with it in practice...I just can't remember exactly what it is. I think it has something to do with the whey turning into glucose and not being utilized as protein normally would be, due to the state your body is in after being deprived of food for so long. I do remember that when you combine the whey with other foods, however, the negative effects are lessened.
    You are right Vido in that the whey will be mainly converted into glucose via gluconeogenesis because of the overnight fast. You could get around this by throwing some carbs into the mix.

Calfless
    What seems to be working for me is that when you first wake up...you need to ingest a whey protein which enters the bloodstream quickly to replenish your body from your overnight fast. And right before bed....ingest a casein protein..which digests more slowly...like cottage cheese....

Originally posted by pagan058
    What seems to be working for me is that when you first wake up...you need to ingest a whey protein which enters the bloodstream quickly to replenish your body from your overnight fast. And right before bed....ingest a casein protein..which digests more slowly...like cottage cheese....
    I agree with you, but I would just add in some carbs with the whey in morning. The cottage cheese before bed is a good suggestion.

Wannabebig Member
    Thanks to everybody who contributed to this subject. I will focus mainly on my intake of eggs especially for breakfast in the morning and at lunch. In the future I'm considering the Whey protein shakes as a post workout drink as I am not that fond of cottage cheese. I will check out my local health food stores regarding Whey protein shakes, any brand names that I should specifically look for and should I consider any other types of supplements with my regular diet?

Add some dextrose to that protein shake (that's when your body is more open to carbs).

I will check out my local health food stores regarding Whey protein shakes, any brand names that I should specifically look for and should I consider any other types of supplements with my regular diet?
    As far as a brand of whey protein here is a thread that has peoples opinions on different brands:
    http://www.wannabebigforums.com/show...threadid=30001

A multi-vitamin is a good supplement IMO, and maybe some fish oil to help get enough healthy fats in your diet. As Ironman8 mentioned, some form of simple carbs would be good to mix with your protein postworkout. Dextrose or maltodextrin would be good and are rather inexpensive.

If you cant eat eggs (like me), I've bought egg white protein and liquid egg whites quite often for mornings. Just a suggestiong

I cant stand the taste, smell or sight of the things. I used to eat them 2-3 times a day when I did a long atkins type diet, I JUST CANT STAND THEM ANYMORE! ARGH!
    17 yrs old 5'9" 155lbs
    bench: 180x6
    deadlift: 345x6
    squat: 275x6
    1.5 years lifting, many more to come...
    trainning for my own health preservation and maintainning personal fitness

Originally posted by Vido
    You don't need to increase the intake of one food specifically, that's ridiculous.
    *** I believe he means that he needs to increase his overall protein intake. Not his actual egg intake. What kind of silly trainer would reccomend that?
    Maki Fit Blog

At Large: Optimize Your Body | Dynamic Conditioning |
    My articles on Wannabebig

"Soli Deo Gloria"
    "Test all things; hold fast what is good.": 1 Thessalonians 5:21

"I do not understand what I do. For what I want to do I do not do, but what I hate I do. And if I do what I do not want to do, I agree that the law is good. As it is, it is no longer I myself who do it, but it is sin living in me. I know that nothing good lives in me, that is, in my sinful nature. For I have the desire to do what is good, but I cannot carry it out. For what I do is not the good I want to do; no, the evil I do not want to do--this I keep on doing. Now if I do what I do not want to do, it is no longer I who do it, but it is sin living in me that does it.
    So I find this law at work: When I want to do good, evil is right there with me. For in my inner being I delight in God's law; but I see another law at work in the members of my body, waging war against the law of my mind and making me a prisoner of the law of sin at work within my members. What a wretched man I am! Who will rescue me from this body of death? Thanks be to God--through Jesus Christ our Lord!"
    Romans 7:14-25

"Judo is not about strength. Yet in the learning curve, all Judokas get strong. Only with time do you learn where to apply that strength."
    The Art of Judo

Originally posted by bradley

You could get around this by throwing some carbs into the mix.
    *** Or some fat. Of course this depends on what kind of marconutrient breakdown you're following
    Maki Fit Blog

At Large: Optimize Your Body | Dynamic Conditioning |
    My articles on Wannabebig

"Soli Deo Gloria"
    "Test all things; hold fast what is good.": 1 Thessalonians 5:21

"I do not understand what I do. For what I want to do I do not do, but what I hate I do. And if I do what I do not want to do, I agree that the law is good. As it is, it is no longer I myself who do it, but it is sin living in me. I know that nothing good lives in me, that is, in my sinful nature. For I have the desire to do what is good, but I cannot carry it out. For what I do is not the good I want to do; no, the evil I do not want to do--this I keep on doing. Now if I do what I do not want to do, it is no longer I who do it, but it is sin living in me that does it.
    So I find this law at work: When I want to do good, evil is right there with me. For in my inner being I delight in God's law; but I see another law at work in the members of my body, waging war against the law of my mind and making me a prisoner of the law of sin at work within my members. What a wretched man I am! Who will rescue me from this body of death? Thanks be to God--through Jesus Christ our Lord!"
    Romans 7:14-25

"Judo is not about strength. Yet in the learning curve, all Judokas get strong. Only with time do you learn where to apply that strength."
    The Art of Judo

Wannabebig Member

Protein Shakes instead of Eggs

Thank you for everybodys input on this subject. I have decided to eat eggs as much as possible and I even went as far and bought some cottage cheese. My wife absolutely loves this stuff and on occasions I have eaten it with the addition of fruit ie grapes, kiwi etc. I have discussed all of this with my trainer and now after every workout, I will have a protein shake with some dextrose to help build my muscles. I have also been using fructose for the times when I need to sweeten up some foods in my diet.

Re: Protein Shakes instead of Eggs

Originally posted by TIMIDKAT
    I have also been using fructose for the times when I need to sweeten up some foods in my diet.
    How much fructose are you using per day?

Ya, fructose can lead to weight gain. But Lyle Mcdonald said 60 grams of fructose is when the problems start happening (don't worry, that's alot).