The Five Biggest Contradictions in Fitness
Latest Article

The Five Biggest Contradictions in Fitness

Itís no secret that when people contradict themselves, it has the effect of making the flaws in their actions or statements seem glaringly obvious. But what about when WE ourselves get caught contradicting ourselves by someone else?

By: Nick Tumminello Added: January 6th, 2014
More Recent Articles
Contrast Training for Size
By: Lee Boyce
An Interview with Marianne Kane of Girls Gone Strong
By: Jordan Syatt
What Supplements Should I be Taking? By: Jay Wainwright
Bench Like a Girl By: Julia Ladewski
Some Thoughts on Building a Big Pull By: Christopher Mason

Facebook Join Facebook Group       Twitter Follow on Twitter       rss Subscribe via RSS
    On Auto Pilot:******* Huge Alke's Avatar

wrist giving out on DB side laterals?

I was doing DB side laterals with the 35's and my right wrist was giving out before my shoulders were tired. Should I just invest in a pair of wrist wraps to handle the heavier weight?

Or would doing wrist curls help in this case? I have never done wrist curls, I have never had my wrist give on other lifts.....I am not sure what I should do?
    My Journal
    Progress Pic

1RM's
    30MAY03 = 800 Total - Bench 230, Squat 245, Deadlift 325
    22OCT04 = 960 Total - Bench 275, Squat 305, Deadlift 380

Most push-ups in one minute = 102 (BW:195lbs)

Some men see things as they are and say, "Why?" I dream things that never were and say, "Why not?" - George B. Shaw

FOOD is my drug of choice

2.    Support Wannabebig and use AtLarge Nutrition Supplements!

I don't think wraps will help in a lateral so much. Just keep doing them. Wrist curls might help. Depends what giving out. Do you mean your grip? Maybe some static holds. Just guessing.

try superseting with OH press....or doing your lateral raises last so they are already fatigued.
    you dont wanna mess up your wrists at any price...

Or trying doing them first when fresh. See if the exercises are bothered after the laterals. Try lots of things. Eventually you'll get over it.

On Auto Pilot:******* Huge Alke's Avatar
    thanks for the suggestions guys, its kinda hard to explain really.....when I said my wrist was giving I meant the ligaments at the base of my hand at the wrist. I really just need to re-inforce the area around my wrist. I got some wrist tape (I gave the wrong impression when I said wraps, its not my grip thats giving).

The tape around my wrist seems to solve the problem, I will do some wrist curls and see if that strengthen it any as well. I'll also think about putting the side laterals last so that their already fatigued and need less weight to hit them hard enough to grow......

thanks again guys!
    My Journal
    Progress Pic

1RM's
    30MAY03 = 800 Total - Bench 230, Squat 245, Deadlift 325
    22OCT04 = 960 Total - Bench 275, Squat 305, Deadlift 380

Most push-ups in one minute = 102 (BW:195lbs)

Some men see things as they are and say, "Why?" I dream things that never were and say, "Why not?" - George B. Shaw

FOOD is my drug of choice

I think wrist straps WOULD be a good idea.

I think berserker misunderstood you and thought of straps. Straps certainitly wouldn't help. But wraps that hold the wrist tighter and keeps it from bending as much oughtta help!
    accuflex - LOLZZZZ!!!11one1!! SOEM PPL WORK THRE ARMZ!!!!11!! LETS KILL THEM111

"You can fake effort with grunts and clanging weights but quiet, consistent hard work coupled with gradual strength increases earns universal respect in gyms" - Steve Colescott

I'd rather Situation be a member of this board. -Joey54

Maybe you should use lighter weight until your wrists get stronger. Your wrists won't get any stronger if you use straps or wraps.

My suspicion is that if your wrists are giving out your form isn't that hot at the shoulder area either. Are you throwing the weight up or shrugging your shoulders?