The Five Biggest Contradictions in Fitness
Latest Article

The Five Biggest Contradictions in Fitness

Itís no secret that when people contradict themselves, it has the effect of making the flaws in their actions or statements seem glaringly obvious. But what about when WE ourselves get caught contradicting ourselves by someone else?

By: Nick Tumminello Added: January 6th, 2014
More Recent Articles
Contrast Training for Size
By: Lee Boyce
An Interview with Marianne Kane of Girls Gone Strong
By: Jordan Syatt
What Supplements Should I be Taking? By: Jay Wainwright
Bench Like a Girl By: Julia Ladewski
Some Thoughts on Building a Big Pull By: Christopher Mason

Facebook Join Facebook Group       Twitter Follow on Twitter       rss Subscribe via RSS
    Wannabebig Member

Need to lose 28 pounds...

I need to lose 28 pounds....

I have spent the last 2 hours reading over posting in these forums to get a better ideas of things. I must admit, it is a bit much to try and take in all at once. The whole carb and calorie thing is a bit confusing to me.

Anyways, I got a GYM membership at Gold's GYM(peak fitness).

I read where people ay you need to burn more calories than you consume. This is where I get lost. You see, I don't work, not on my feet anyways. I stay seated most of the day. And I don't really eat that much, I can't I got IBS. I get real bad sick if I eat alot.

In teh past I would go weeks without excerise. To busy studing, I a bit of a nerd sometimes.

It seems at being 5'7 184 pounds, I'm a bit over weight. I do work out alot even before the whole GYM thing. I'm not ripped, but a little defined. However, I have a alotta fat in the abdominol are and hips(love handles) while my chest is cut. I look like a freak of nature. I even have 17 1/2 inch arms, decently toned...

How about how many calories should I be burning? I went this morning on teh machine that looks like yer skiing. I did it for 45 min, and it said I burned 500 calories. I'm thinking of going back for another 45 min run? Is this too much, or not enough? Is this healthy?

I'm fixing to head out to the grocery store and buy me some food. No more fast foods, or greasy crap. The stuff make sme feel bad anyways, it's just that my daughter and wife like all that crap. before I met my wife, I did excerise alot and eat very very clean. I love eating clean...

I'm thinking of getting some yogert(fat free or not?) some sandwhich buns(what kind? grain or wheat?) some butterball peppered turkey breast sliced from the deli(I love this stuff). Add in some lettuce and tomatoes. I'm mostly gonna be on a sandwich diet. I am gonna get a big bag of frozen chicken breast, boneless & skinless. I hear alotta people eating peanut butterm isn't that bad for you?

Any other ideas of some foods I can get?

I eat lotta eggs in the morning. I don't drink milk, and don't eat alot of fruit. It makes me a little sick depending on how much I eat and what kind. Are there any spices I should stay away from? When I cook that chicken breast I stir fry it in olive oil and spices.

I eat fish, but i find it expensive in my area.

I know this post may be kinda lame to some of you, I'm just really trying to do every "little" thing I can. I thought I knew how to lose weight, but I don't.

-Redkaven

2.    Support Wannabebig and use AtLarge Nutrition Supplements!

Wannabebig Member
    BTW, I don't good good with fruit, but i seem okay with bananas, although I've never ate more than oen in a 3 day time period.

Alos, I have tub of optimium whey protein. I take it once or twice a day. Sometimes...

1 gram of protein per pound of body weight. This almost seems impossiable to achieve to me. I just can't eat that much.

-Redkaven
    Sex: male, Age: 25, Hieght: 5'7, Weight: 182, Chest: 43, Arms: 16, Waist: 41(including gut), Thighs: 23, Calves:15.

I look pretty trim everywhere except my gut. It's huge and it looks unnatural. As if I had a tumor or something. I'm also alot stronger than I look.

C'mon 184 grams of protein isn't that hard to get:

your eggs in the a.m ~ 20g (I'll assume you eat 4)
    1 chicken breast ~ 40g
    1 can tuna ~ 35g
    2 scoops optimum ~ 44g
    1 cup cottage cheese ~ 25g
    2 glasses milk ~ 20g

There, that's about 184 g without including all the other sources you might have during the day.

Peanut butter is a good source of essential good fats. Be careful with the yoghurt, even if it's fat free it might have a lot of sugars which you'll want to stay away from. For bread, use whole wheat.

45 mins of skiing seems like a good workout to me, definitely sufficient for one day if your diet is good.

BTW, what's IBS?

People wonder why I call myself Mr. T. One dude asked, 'does the T stand for tough?' I said no. Another dude asked if the T stands for my last name, Tureaud. No it does not. The 'T' in Mr. T stands for tuna. T loves tuna.

Originally posted by aidano
    C'mon 184 grams of protein isn't that hard to get:

your eggs in the a.m ~ 20g (I'll assume you eat 4)
    1 chicken breast ~ 40g
    1 can tuna ~ 35g
    2 scoops optimum ~ 44g
    1 cup cottage cheese ~ 25g
    2 glasses milk ~ 20g

BTW, what's IBS?
    What kind of eggs you eating pigeon? A whole egg was 6-8g of protein, depending on size. Large egg usually 7.
    The chicken breast I see are 22g.

My biggest suggestion for losing weight is change what ever you doing that made you fat. Eat cleaner and do more.

Yeah, I eat hummingbird eggs, what's it to ya?

Anyway according to fitday.com, 1 small raw egg is 4.6 g of protein. I averaged it to 5g since he might like to eat bigger eggs, and he might like to leave out the yolks. My chicken breasts are nearly 50g of protein. They come in different sizes.

I wasn't trying to be super accurate on those figures, I think they're fine. My point was to illustrate how it's not that difficult to eat 1g of protein/lb of bodyweight.
    Last edited by aidano; 04-10-2003 at 02:42 PM.

People wonder why I call myself Mr. T. One dude asked, 'does the T stand for tough?' I said no. Another dude asked if the T stands for my last name, Tureaud. No it does not. The 'T' in Mr. T stands for tuna. T loves tuna.

Like anything its best to check the label. I never even seen an egg smaller then medium, which is 6. If there are mediums stands to reason,there are small.
    With spring here its time start harvesting those humming bird eggs fresh.

the stone cold stunner Ironman8's Avatar
    Hey Red, mix in weightlifting with that cardio. Tone your body, while losing the fat.
    You kill me in a dream, you better wake up and apologize....

Originally posted by aidano

BTW, what's IBS?
    Irritable Bowel Syndrome...... I think.

I read where people ay you need to burn more calories than you consume. This is where I get lost. You see, I don't work, not on my feet anyways. I stay seated most of the day. And I don't really eat that much, I can't I got IBS. I get real bad sick if I eat alot.
    This sounds more complicated than it really is. I would just recommend keeping a food journal for one week and keeping up with your cals. Weigh yourself at the beginning of the week and at the end of the week and see how your weight responds (remember to weigh at the same time each week, first thing in the morning would be the best IMO). If it stays the same then that is your maintenance calories, and if it increases or decreases then you are in a caloric surplus or deficit. Since you are just getting back into training just shaping up your diet and making better food choices will more than likely yield good results. You can use a site like www.fitday.com to help with the calorie tracking if you wanted.

How about how many calories should I be burning? I went this morning on teh machine that looks like yer skiing. I did it for 45 min, and it said I burned 500 calories. I'm thinking of going back for another 45 min run? Is this too much, or not enough? Is this healthy?
    That should be fine for one day. You can also check out the HIIT sticky in the training forum if you wanted some other options for cardio.

Any other ideas of some foods I can get?
    http://www.wannabebigforums.com/show...t=grocery+list

http://www.wannabebigforums.com/show...t=grocery+list

I hear alotta people eating peanut butterm isn't that bad for you?
    Natural peanut butter is a good source of healthy fats, along with things like fish oil, flax oil, olive oil, and nuts. Try and get some of these fats in your diet.

I eat lotta eggs in the morning. I don't drink milk, and don't eat alot of fruit. It makes me a little sick depending on how much I eat and what kind. Are there any spices I should stay away from? When I cook that chicken breast I stir fry it in olive oil and spices.
    As far as spice I say to go with what you like. Using olive in when cooking is a good plan.

1 gram of protein per pound of body weight. This almost seems impossiable to achieve to me. I just can't eat that much.
    Split this total up into 5-6 meals per day and it is relatively easy to get in that amount.

Alos, I have tub of optimium whey protein. I take it once or twice a day. Sometimes...
    Sure, especially postworkout along with some simple carbs. This would be the most beneficial time to use the whey and try and get the rest of your protein from whole food.

Also if you want feel free to post your diet and I am sure you will get some good feedback and suggestions. Hope this helps

Originally posted by Ritzol

Originally posted by Ritzol

Oh man, that must suck to have that

Wannabebig Member
    Ya, IBS sux.

One day your fine, they next you might have stuff coming out both ends. The pain get's so bad sometims, you have to take morphin shots. I've only had this happen to me twice. Even though I do have acute IBS. One day you can drink plain distilled water and still pass out from it. I've only had that happen to me once....

I'v e been doing alot better than I was.

Yesterday ate 846 calories, and was at the GYM twice and burned 500 calories the first time and 213 the second time. I quit early the second time because I was light headed, I was aiming for another 500.

Today I found me some "Chicken Of The Sea" chunk light tuna in spring water. It's in cans with a easy pop-off lid. It has 80 cal, 1 fat, 0 sat fat, 0 carbs, and 18 grams of protein. Wow, this stuff is nice to have around the house. It comes in a 5 pack that cost's $2.47, that's about 49 cents a can. Too bad it took me so long to find the stuff.

I was looking at the CKD and does that work with cardio? And it says to consume fat, that good fat, bad fat or both?

Ya, I do work out "heavy" on mondays-wensdays. Then do cardio Thursday through saturday, and take sunday off. That's teh new plan. I was heavy weight training and doing 15 min cardio afterwards. It was screwing me up, I was getting too sore and taking to long to recover. So I'm trying this new thing this week, so far it seems fine. I just need to change what mucsle groups I work out on each day at the beginning of the week.

I'm trying to proportion myself out. I do biceps and rear deltiods on mon. I do triceps and lats on tuesday. I do squats and chest on wensday.

Now I'm thinking about changing it too Biceps and lats on monday, squats and chest on tuesday, and triceps and rear delt's on wensday. What ya think?

-Redkaven

Wannabebig Member
    BTW, I was thinking of adding calves and fprearms on thursdays. But then, I feel like I might be cutting out too much cardio.

I dunno man, I'll figure it out one day.

-Redkaven
    Sex: male, Age: 25, Hieght: 5'7, Weight: 182, Chest: 43, Arms: 16, Waist: 41(including gut), Thighs: 23, Calves:15.

I look pretty trim everywhere except my gut. It's huge and it looks unnatural. As if I had a tumor or something. I'm also alot stronger than I look.

wow - if you are only eating 846 calories a day and trying to do excessive cardio and lift -- I think you have alot more problems than just IBS. you are literally starving yourself and are going to be losing alot more than fat. at such low cals, your body is NOT going to burn the last vestiges of fat at all. lipolysis basically shuts off when in starvation mode and your body uses muscle for energy instead. i am surprised you can do any wt training eating this little.

honestly - i think you would see better results if you ate more, did less cardio and tried to bring some balance to your daily diet -- even though you have IBS, there is hope. a friend of mine regressed alot once IBS hit, but has been making a comeback. one key thing, eat or supplement with fiber as this seems to help.
    Size is SEXY!

As long as there's raniali nudity, its all good. -- PMDL, my idol
    My God. I wish, if only for a day, i had hooters like that to play with. -- TCD, my other idol
    It is as stable as my mindset around your breasts. -- robboe
    Good god raniali....you have an amazing physique. -- JustinASU
    Whenever raniali posts in a thread, somebody is bound to get aroused, thats just the way it is. -- Y2A

~Anything worth doing at all IS worth doing well.~
    ~You all laugh because I am diFFereNt; I laugh because you're all the same.~
    ~Have no fear of perfection; you will never reach it. -- Salvador Dali, Diary of A Genius~

I agree with Ranialli in that you are going to have to get your cals up if you are going to lose some fat. Right now your metabolism is probably going at a slow rate due to the large caloric deficit. Find some foods that do not irritate the IBS and stick with them.

Spread your food out into 5-6 small meals a day. Stick with lean protein, low GI carbs, and healthy fats. I wouldn't worry too much about a CKD right now until you get your training and diet in order. I would say cut down on the cardio and maybe check out one of the WBB routines.

Redkaven, I suggest you have a big cheatday now to bump up your metabolism. Then adjust your caloric intake and excercise routine.

Originally posted by Ironman8
    Redkaven, I suggest you have a big cheatday now to bump up your metabolism. Then adjust your caloric intake and excercise routine.
    If your body is in a "starvation mode" then I would think the majority of the calories from a cheat day would go to fat because your body does not know whether it will be experiencing another period of high calorie deficit and therefor will want to store as much energy as possible. Although I agree in that you should definitely increase the cals.

Wannabebig Member
    Ok, I will follow you guys advice....

I'll try and eat small meals more often. Try and get about 1500 cal's a day?

-Redkaven

at 184 - i'd be eating at least 1800 -- but i think any appreciable amount more than you are eating will be a good start
    Size is SEXY!

As long as there's raniali nudity, its all good. -- PMDL, my idol
    My God. I wish, if only for a day, i had hooters like that to play with. -- TCD, my other idol
    It is as stable as my mindset around your breasts. -- robboe
    Good god raniali....you have an amazing physique. -- JustinASU
    Whenever raniali posts in a thread, somebody is bound to get aroused, thats just the way it is. -- Y2A

~Anything worth doing at all IS worth doing well.~
    ~You all laugh because I am diFFereNt; I laugh because you're all the same.~
    ~Have no fear of perfection; you will never reach it. -- Salvador Dali, Diary of A Genius~

Originally posted by Redkaven
    Ok, I will follow you guys advice....

I'll try and eat small meals more often. Try and get about 1500 cal's a day?

-Redkaven
    I suggest you experiment. 1500 cals is too low to begin with. Try taking in 2500 cals first, then if you don't loose a pound a week, reduce it until you do lose a pound a week.

Originally posted by Ironman8

I suggest you experiment. 1500 cals is too low to begin with. Try taking in 2500 cals first, then if you don't loose a pound a week, reduce it until you do lose a pound a week.
    I think Raniali's suggestion would be more accurate. Going from 880 cals to 2500 is quite a large jump in calories (almost triple the initial amount of calories). If your metabolism has slowed from eating very low calories then I would suggest increasing them slowly to avoid the shock to your body. Anyone else have any thoughts about this?