Page 4 of 9 FirstFirst ... 23456 ... LastLast

Thread: The Official WBB NHL playoff thread:

Wannabebig Member
    oh come on here, I've had enough of everybody jumping on the flyers bandwagon. They stink. They are being loved too much, what have they done to desrve. Ottawa is getting taken lightly, hello, they are the best team in the league. Vancouver is not as good as Colorado, I see no reason why Minnesota can't win that series. They the Canucks are not going to win, goaltending is worse and they don't have depth.
    Ottawa beats Philly 4-2
    New Jersey beats Tampa 4-2
    Dallas beats Anaheim 4-2
    Minnesota beats Canucks 4-2

Mystic Eric
    East:

Ottawa over Phily 4-2

Tampa vs Jersey =

West

Canucks over Wild 4-2

Ducks over Stars 4-2

Wannabebig Member
    what the Ducks winning. Come on.

Mystic Eric
    Originally posted by baxters
    what the Ducks winning. Come on.
    I know it sounds crazy but I think the Ducks will pull a huge upset here. It all depends on how Giguere plays.

Wannabebig Member
    The thing that bohters me is how all the people are saying that philly is going to win. Ottawa was the best team.

Mystic Eric
    lol I hate philly. It's Vido's remaining team left and Vido lives in Vancouver! What a nerd.

Wannabebig Member

about teams

what it is like living in that part of Canada with your 3 hockey clubs. Is there a strong rivarly between those three teams. Whats your opinon and the public's out there about the New York Rangers.

Mystic Eric
    Well a lot of people in Vancouver are those that "hop on the bandwagon" quickly and jump off just as quickly as soon as the Canucks lose a game or two lol. Personally, I love it when the Canucks do well 'cause it brings out a cool atmosphere in Vancouver. I live near the downtown area and it was just wild when the Canucks won the previous series.

But then there are dorks like Vido that hate the Canucks just to try to stand out or piss off most of the city lol. Well I dont know about the rivarly it doesn't seem that strong actually. I'm an oilers fan as well. At this point, I'd just be happy if any Canadian team does well. I hate the flames though.

I also hate the Rangers.
    Last edited by Mystic Eric; 04-24-2003 at 05:19 PM.

Sens over Flyers in 6

Devils over Lightning in 5

Dallas over Ducks in 7

Canucks over Wild in 6

Last edited by orbital; 04-24-2003 at 06:22 PM.
    Man, if he do but live within the light of high endeavors, daily spreads abroad his being armed with strength that cannot fail.

--Wordsworth

Banned
    Originally posted by baxters
    oh come on here, I've had enough of everybody jumping on the flyers bandwagon. They stink. They are being loved too much, what have they done to desrve. Ottawa is getting taken lightly, hello, they are the best team in the league. Vancouver is not as good as Colorado, I see no reason why Minnesota can't win that series. They the Canucks are not going to win, goaltending is worse and they don't have depth.
    Ottawa beats Philly 4-2
    New Jersey beats Tampa 4-2
    Dallas beats Anaheim 4-2
    Minnesota beats Canucks 4-2
    "They stink" WTF???? Have you taken a look at their roster recently, or even better, have you watched them play?

"What have they done to deserve it [the respect]?" Well, for starters they tied for the least goals against in the NHL in the regular season. Second, they picked up Amonte at the deadline. Third, they played large portions of the season without Leclair and Gagne, who are now back an in form. The only thing suspect about them is their goaltending, and this is what the series will come down to. Phili is a better team than Ottawa IF Cechmanek doesn't let in soft goals like he did against Toronto, and has a history of doing.

I do agree with you about Minnesota though. Helllllloooooo Vancouver fans...why are you so excited? They beat Colorado in a 7-game series. They can't be THAT bad. That being said, it pains me to say it, but the Canucks are heating up right now. They looked horrible for the first 4 games of the St. Louis series, but completely dominated them the last 3. I hope to hell they lose, but I don't see it happening.

Predictions:

Phili over Ottawa in 6
    New Jersey over Tampa in 5

Dallas over Anaheim in 5
    Vancouver over Minnesota in 6

Second, they picked up Amonte at the deadline.
    This guy is over rated. Has been pretty quite in the playoffs so far.

Prediction: Canucks will win the west, and who ever wins the Fylers and Sens series will win the east.
    "It is often said, mainly by the "no-contests", that although there is no positive evidence for the existence of God, nor is there evidence against his existence. So it is best to keep an open mind and be agnostic. At first sight that seems an unassailable position, at least in the weak sense of Pascal's wager. But on second thought it seems a cop-out, because the same could be said of Father Christmas and tooth fairies. There may be fairies at the bottom of the garden. There is no evidence for it, but you can't prove that there aren't any, so shouldn't we be agnostic with respect to fairies?"

Richard Dawkins

"Out of all of the sects in the world, we notice an uncanny coincidence: the overwhelming majority just happen to choose the one that their parents belong to. Not the sect that has the best evidence in its favour, the best miracles, the best moral code, the best cathedral, the best stained glass, the best music: when it comes to choosing from the smorgasbord of available religions, their potential virtues seem to count for nothing, compared to the matter of heredity. This is an unmistakable fact; nobody could seriously deny it. Yet people with full knowledge of the arbitrary nature of this heredity, somehow manage to go on believing in their religion, often with such fanaticism that they are prepared to murder people who follow a different one."

Richard Dawkins

"Bah. You know I hate poor people."

Paul Stagg

Originally posted by Vido
    I do agree with you about Minnesota though. Helllllloooooo Vancouver fans...why are you so excited? They beat Colorado in a 7-game series. They can't be THAT bad. That being said, it pains me to say it, but the Canucks are heating up right now. They looked horrible for the first 4 games of the St. Louis series, but completely dominated them the last 3. I hope to hell they lose, but I don't see it happening.
    You are a Vancouverite but you hate the Canucks? That just screams "look at me, I'm different, weeeeee".

Baxter what the hell are you talking about when you say Philadelphia sucks? Ever hear of the names Recchi, Roenick, or Amonte? How about Leclair, Primeau, or Gagne? Not only that, I think Cechmanek is underrated and Ken Hitchcock is one of, if not the best, coach in the league.

Granted, Ottawa had the best regular season record, but until they win the cup, they are NOT the 'best team' in the league.
    "The only sin which we never forgive in each other is difference of opinion."
    -Ralph Waldo Emerson

Word.

Originally posted by Manveet

and who ever wins the Fylers and Sens series will win the east.
    Not sure If I would count out the Devils. They were the only 1-4 seed in the entire league that didn't falter on opening night in the playoffs. They are a confident, highly experienced, good defensive team with great goaltending and they just finished giving the boots to the Lightning in game 1.
    Man, if he do but live within the light of high endeavors, daily spreads abroad his being armed with strength that cannot fail.

--Wordsworth

Banned
    Originally posted by orbital

Not sure If I would count out the Devils. They were the only 1-4 seed in the entire league that didn't falter on opening night in the playoffs. They are a confident, highly experienced, good defensive team with great goaltending and they just finished giving the boots to the Lightning in game 1.
    I despise the Devils, but I give them a good shot at coming out of the East. I think it's pretty much up for grabs between them, Phili, and Ottawa. Tampa can go home and hit the beach though.

Banned
    Originally posted by Rastaman

You are a Vancouverite but you hate the Canucks? That just screams "look at me, I'm different, weeeeee".

Is there anything wrong with being different?

I have never liked that Canucks, nor will I ever. I was born and raised here. There is no rule that states one must cheer for his/her hometown team, and anyone that thinks differently is wrong.

Mystic Eric

Is there anything wrong with being different?

I have never liked that Canucks, nor will I ever. I was born and raised here. There is no rule that states one must cheer for his/her hometown team, and anyone that thinks differently is wrong.
    Rastaman has a point. Although you're not "wrong" either Vido. But just wondering, why won't you ever like the Canucks? You've never really told me. The thing I don't get about some people is when they say they like a team fine it could be because of their players, the way they play or their heart. But when the nucleus of the team changes for the worse when players leave or retire and the team sucks, what reason is there to stand behind them (in your case Vido, your Flames.) One plausible reason is because the team is part of your hometown. This is because you have ties to the area so even if the Vancouver Canucks suck, vancouverites cheering for them makes sense 'cause of this territorial bond. However Vido, you have no territorial bond with Calgary that I know of.

But when you hate your home team even when they're doing well and you cheer for a team that sucks and have no ties or bonds to that just confuses me.

*ends friendship with Vido*
    Last edited by Mystic Eric; 04-24-2003 at 09:08 PM.

Banned
    Originally posted by Mystic Eric

But when the nucleus of the team changes for the worse when players leave or retire and the team sucks, what reason is there to stand behind them
    The fear of being called a bandwagon jumper. Whoever your team is, whether they are the hometown team or not, that is your team...period...through good times and bad.

Mystic Eric

The fear of being called a bandwagon jumper. Whoever your team is, whether they are the hometown team or not, that is your team...period...through good times and bad.

lol that fear is ridiculous. I personally don't see a problem in bandwagon jumping as long as it's for the right reasons. The right reasons = the team is good, you understand the game, and they entertain you. The point is being entertained and a good team entertains so nothing wrong in liking a team you've never liked before once they become good.

Bad bandwagon jumping is liking a team because everyone else likes them and that's the only reason.

Even then I don't really care people can like whoever they want lol.

And btw, the only thing you should be fearing is this Saturday night :evillaugh

Mystic Eric
    As well that's my whole point. It makes no logical sense when someone has no ties (territorial, family, friends, stocks etc) to a team but still cheers for them when they suck just because they used to cheer for them ages (and for the Flames I do mean AGES ) ago when they used to be good. I mean it doesn't really make sense to keep with them "through good or bad" when a team clearly sucks, doesn't entertain and gets walked over almost every game. Although if you like the flames 'cause of Ignla's play or the stellar goaltending of Roman Turoc ( lol) then I guess it's understandable.

However, it does make sense if you have ties to them say for example if you live in Vancouver and you stick with your team through thick and thin because they reprsent your hometown.

I think you need to do some soul searching Vido.

Btw, beware Sat. night!! :evillaugh
    Last edited by Mystic Eric; 04-24-2003 at 09:44 PM.

Banned
    Originally posted by Mystic Eric
    I personally don't see a problem in bandwagon jumping as long as it's for the right reasons. The right reasons = the team is good
    Liking a team because they are good is just lame. It's people like you that give sports fans a bad name. That's all.

Mystic Eric

Liking a team because they are good is just lame. It's people like you that give sports fans a bad name. That's all.
    Yes... liking a team that plays well and entains me is lame. I guess I should like the teams that suck and are boring just so I can stand out...

*throws friendship away*
    Last edited by Mystic Eric; 04-24-2003 at 09:57 PM.

Banned
    It isn't about "standing out" or "being different". It's about loyalty to your team, and that is something a REAL sportsfan possesses.

If you are new to the sport and have to pick a team that you want to cheer for, by all means pick a team that excites you. However, a true sportsfan will stick with this team for the duration of his/her life or the duration of that team's existence. Over time, this will team will inevitably be better (and more exciting) in some years than others, but haphazardly jumping from team to team based on how good they are is ridiculous. When I began watching hockey, the Flames had just won the Cup. I was young, and therefore wanted to cheer for the best...so I did. Now that they are no longer doing so well, I still show my support and have more respect for myself (and others who bear with their original team) than for someone changes teams more than they change their underwear.

When I began watching hockey, the Flames had just won the Cup. I wanted to cheer for the best...so I did.
    Way to go champ.
    "The only sin which we never forgive in each other is difference of opinion."
    -Ralph Waldo Emerson

Word.

Banned
    Well, when I began watching hockey I was, let's see, 6, maybe 7 years old. What else is a kid that age going to do other than cheer for the most elite team? That actually aids my point in that cheering for a team just because they are good is extremely childish.

That goal looked like it should have counted for Anaheim.
    5-9 170