Page 5 of 9 FirstFirst ... 34567 ... LastLast

Thread: The Official WBB NHL playoff thread:

Mystic Eric
    Originally posted by Vido

Liking a team because they are good is just lame. It's people like you that give sports fans a bad name. That's all.

It isn't about "standing out" or "being different". It's about loyalty to your team, and that is something a REAL sportsfan possesses.

The fear of being called a bandwagon jumper.

Loyalty to a team just because they *used* to be good is funny. If you show loyalty to your home team then that makes sense but to show loyalty to a team that used to be good like 10-15 years ago is ludicrous. And are you really showing loyalty? You're just sticking with them as you said "because of the fear of being called a bandwagon jumper."

Teams aren't like friends that they're so important you have to stay loyal to them lol.

And btw, this is nuts ducks and stars going into 4th overtime. I wish I had TSN over here
    Last edited by Mystic Eric; 04-24-2003 at 10:44 PM.

Banned
    There is no point in continuing this debate. A TRUE sportsfan, as I, and everyone around me have always understood, has a favourite team. That team doesn't change because of their performance, or because of another team's performance, or because you got a new girlfriend and she only likes teams with blue uniforms.

Loyalty = Loyalty = Loyalty...there aren't different levels of loyalty. To say that you can be loyal to your hometown team, but not to a team that you've followed growing up as a kid, just because they haven't done so well over the past few seasons, makes no sense.

Mystic Eric
    There is no point in continuing this debate. A TRUE sportsfan, as I, and everyone around me have always understood, has a favourite team. That team doesn't change because of their performance, or because of another team's performance, or because you got a new girlfriend and she only likes teams with blue uniforms.

Loyalty = Loyalty = Loyalty...there aren't different levels of loyalty. To say that you can be loyal to your hometown team, but not to a team that you've followed growing up as a kid, just because they haven't done so well over the past few seasons, makes no sense.
    Your example of "she only likes teams with blue unis" is an example of my "bad band wagon hoping." That's different from liking a team because they play the game well, has heart, and entertains.

I never said having loyalty to a team you've liked since you were a kid was bad. But what doesn't make sense is how you hate your home team even when they're doing awesome.

And your definition of "true sports fan" - is that a fan that follows a team no matter what because he/she fears that others will label him a band wagon hopper? To me that has nothing to do with sports. To me, a true sports fan understands the game, appreciates the game, and loves the game. A sports fan is not a true sports fan just because he/she fears ridicule for jumping the wagon.

Mystic Eric
    LOL 5th overtime coming up!

When I began watching hockey, the Flames had just won the Cup. I was young, and therefore wanted to cheer for the best...so I did.
    You know, my first memory of really watching hockey was also in 1989. In fact, I was in Calgary watching the Flames win that cup in my Uncle's basement. I remember the celebration, it was unbelievable. I have never seen a city come together like that, save for Vancouver in 1994. And obviously, we didn't win it. It was 1994 in Vancouver on crack in Calgary.

However, I was born here and I grew up here in the lower mainland. I still live here. It is home. When I really started watching hockey in the early 90's there was no other team that I felt I should cheer for but the Canucks. They represent me, they represent where I'm from. I didn't care that the Flames were still a great team. Nor did I take anything away from my experience of sharing in their Stanley Cup. That was their victory, not mine.

I am also a Montreal Canadiens fan. I watched them in 1993 and fell in love with them. But regardless, the Canucks are still the #1 team that I cheer for. Why? They haven't won a cup? In fact, they have sucked **** for most of the years that I have watched them.

I cheer for them because they are the home team. They are part and parcel of what it means to be a Vancouverite. How this escapes you, I cannot understand.

But hey, though I can't understand your affinity for the Flames, I respect your loyalty to them.
    Man, if he do but live within the light of high endeavors, daily spreads abroad his being armed with strength that cannot fail.

--Wordsworth

We have the 4th longest game in NHL history going on here right now. Pretty crazy eh? I don't have cable TV here. I am listening to the Ducks radio broadcast.
    Man, if he do but live within the light of high endeavors, daily spreads abroad his being armed with strength that cannot fail.

--Wordsworth

Banned
    Originally posted by Mystic Eric

Your example of "she only likes teams with blue unis" is an example of my "bad band wagon hoping." That's different from liking a team because they play the game well, has heart, and entertains.

*The reasoning behind the switching of teams is different...the result is the same.*

I never said having loyalty to a team you've liked since you were a kid was bad. But what doesn't make sense is how you hate your home team even when they're doing awesome.

*If I have always disliked the Canucks (from Day 1), why would I begin to cheer for them just because they are doing well right now? I have said numerous times that, unless you are a young child, cheering for a team because they are doing well is not a good enough reason.*

And your definition of "true sports fan" - is that a fan that follows a team no matter what because he/she fears that others will label him a band wagon hopper? To me that has nothing to do with sports. To me, a true sports fan understands the game, appreciates the game, and loves the game. A sports fan is not a true sports fan just because he/she fears ridicule for jumping the wagon.

*Your definition of a true sportsfan, touching as it may be, has little to do with this argument. Please explain to me how, based on the fact that I cheer for the lowly Calgary Flames, I don't a)understand the game, b)appreciate the game, or c)love the game. I mean it's not like I just turned the TV off mid-season when I realized the Flames weren't making the playoffs for the millionth straight year. I've watched almost every playoff game thus far. Why? Because I a)understand the game, b)appreciate the game, and c)love the game. For the record I agree with your definition of a true sportsfan, but I feel that you left out the loyalty factor, which is quite key imo.*

Banned
    Originally posted by orbital
    I cheer for them because they are the home team. They are part and parcel of what it means to be a Vancouverite. How this escapes you, I cannot understand.

But hey, though I can't understand your affinity for the Flames, I respect your loyalty to them.
    Thank-you. The point I have been trying to make here is that people have all sorts of reasons for cheering for the team they do. Personally, I don't have the home team syndrome, but that's just me. The fact of the matter remains that, whatever your reason for cheering for a particular team, you stick with that team through thick and thin. This is why I don't understand why someone would be shocked that I am not jumping on the Canucks' bandwagon. I normally dislike them, so why should that change due to the current circumstances?

Why do I always get such bad luck at picking which OT games to watch? I don't want to quit watching since I have watched the first 4 OTs.

If I want the game to end, all I have to do is change the channel. Someone always scores when I do that!
    5-9 170

Mystic Eric
    Vido, well I don't even know what we're really aruging anymore. I guess I was just knit picking on what you said when you said that you stay to a team because you fear that others will label you a "band wagon jumping." I know that that's not the main reason you stay to a team but if it is, it's stupid.

And your line about the reasoning maybe different but the result is the same is . How can you compare switching a team because a team is good and plays a game well to switching teams because you like the colour of the unis?

Although I don't agree about your statement about being able to cheer for a team because they are doing only when you are a child, in your case, this isn't the only reason. You are a Vancouverite. I guess beef here is how you can not cheer for your hometeam that is doing so well.

In the regular season, the new rules actually make it a lot easier to cheer for two teams. When the Nucks play the Habs, I am happy if the Nucks win it in OT.

--Wordsworth

Game Over Anaheim Wins
    5-9 170

OMFG its over!!!! DUcks win, holy **** ryan!!! YOU CALLED THAT!!!

--Wordsworth

Mystic Eric
    THAT'S HUGE!!!! I knew it! Ducks in 6!

Unless the radio broadcast here was lagged I heard the call seconds after reading your post ryan1117. Did you shut off the TV there, and were just saying that or did you see the goal?
    Last edited by orbital; 04-24-2003 at 11:46 PM.

--Wordsworth

No, I had the TV on. However, I was looking away when they scored. So, that is similar to changing the channel.
    5-9 170

You should have lied The Ducks radio broadcast I was listening to must have been lagged because I read your post and then about 5 seconds later I hear SYKORA SCORES, SYKORA SCORES!!! ITS OVER!!! Freaked me out, seriously.

--Wordsworth

Amazing game. History in the making. Too bad I didn't tune in until the 4th OT and radio at that

Longest games in NHL history

1) 3-24-36 Detroit 1, Mtl. Maroons 0 semifinal 116:30 Mud Bruneteau

2) 4-3-33 Toronto 1, Boston 0 semifinal 104:46 Ken Doraty

3) 5-4-00 Philly 2, Pitt. 1 conf. semis 92:01 Keith Primeau

4) 4-24-03 Anaheim 4, Dallas 3 conf. semis 80:48 Petr Sykora

5) 4-24-96 Pitt. 3, Wash. 2 conf. quarters 79:15 Petr Nedved

6) 3-23-43 Toronto 3, Detroit 2 semifinal 70:18 Jack McLean

7) 3-28-30 Mtl. Cdns 2, N.Y.R. 1 semifinal 68:52 Gus Rivers

8) 4-18-87 N.Y.I. 3, Wash. 2 first round 68:47 Pat LaFontaine

9) 4-27-94 Buffalo 1, N.J. 0 first round 65:43 Dave Hannan

10) 3-27-51 Mtl. Cdns 3, Detroit 2 semifinal 61:09 Maurice Richard

It is quite amazing that we have seen so many of these marathons recently. I remember Primeau's beautiful goal for #3 vividly as well as Nedved's, for what is now #5, a long point shot wrister that had EYES, just as vividly.
    Last edited by orbital; 04-25-2003 at 12:06 AM.

--Wordsworth

Zubov put in just under 64 minutes of play tonight, rofl, to lead ice-time among players.
    Last edited by orbital; 04-25-2003 at 12:22 AM.

--Wordsworth

However, I was born here and I grew up here in the lower mainland. I still live here. It is home. When I really started watching hockey in the early 90's there was no other team that I felt I should cheer for but the Canucks. They represent me, they represent where I'm from.

Haha, well said!!

Vido, I don't think anyone has a problem with you being a Flamer fan. I'm a huge Penguins and Toronto fan as well as a Vancouver fan (Vancouver is #1 though). What doesn't make sense is why you would hate your hometeam, the team that represents your city. That is what screams "I'm different weeee, look at me!" Just because you love the Flames doesn't mean you have to hate the Canucks.

Oh yeah... ANAHEIM WON!! WOOOOOOOOOOO!!!! GO MIGHTY DUCKS!!!

Sh-t, I wish I had tsn.
    Last edited by Rastaman; 04-25-2003 at 12:58 AM.
    "The only sin which we never forgive in each other is difference of opinion."
    -Ralph Waldo Emerson

Word.

One crazy MOFO/Mail man
    I wouldn't be as extreme as vido but I do agree with him on a certain level. Loyalty to a team is key. I wouldn't change my support for a team unless there was a serious problem. Just because another team is "better" and "entertains" me more doesn't mean that will be "my team". Do I enjoy other games that other teams play? Yes. But "my team" will never change.(barring some kind of horrible streak of mismanagement or something of the sort)
    w00t

Wannabebig Member
    Canucks = Stanley Cup ... Sedins are underrated
    Procrastnation is like Masterbation... in the end you are just F*cking yourself.
    and this isnt eric

I say give the Conn Smythe to the sisters right now!

--Wordsworth

I say give the Conn Smythe to the sisters right now!
    Brothers damnit! Don't jinx them!
    "The only sin which we never forgive in each other is difference of opinion."
    -Ralph Waldo Emerson

Word.

Mystic Eric
    Hey rasta, get on msn!!!