Page 6 of 9 FirstFirst ... 45678 ... LastLast

Thread: The Official WBB NHL playoff thread:

Wannabebig Member

Finally

Amonte finally on the board for Philly

The playoffs can be cruel. St. Louis Blues fans will be reminded of that everytime they visit http://www.stlouisbluesnews.com until the Canucks are 1) eliminated from the playoffs or 2) win the Stanley Cup. The webmaster lost a bet
    Man, if he do but live within the light of high endeavors, daily spreads abroad his being armed with strength that cannot fail.

--Wordsworth

Mystic Eric
    WHOOOOOOO!!!! Canucks win! What an ending with the game tying goal coming in with 1 second left in the game!

WOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO OOOOOOOOOOO!!!!!!!

Un ****ing believable!!!!

CANUCKS WIN!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Man, if he do but live within the light of high endeavors, daily spreads abroad his being armed with strength that cannot fail.

--Wordsworth

Banned
    If they let a game like that slip away, the Wild won't win a game all series. Not to say the Canucks didn't deserve the win, but blowing a lead with that little time left is inexcusable.

Originally posted by Mystic Eric
    WHOOOOOOO!!!! Canucks win! What an ending with the game tying goal coming in with 1 second left in the game!
    Canucks score with 1.2 seconds left. Marc Crawford got that second back on the clock after the clock ran on Naslunds 19:52 shot. Coaching, the 6th man on the ice! Way to go Crawford!

--Wordsworth

Thats 5 wins right there! 11 more to go!

I am on cloud nine right now!

--Wordsworth

Big congrats to the Sens today as well. What an amazing comeback. That team is for real.

--Wordsworth

WOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO!!!

GO CANUCKS!!! ALL THE WAY BABY!!
    "The only sin which we never forgive in each other is difference of opinion."
    -Ralph Waldo Emerson

Word.

--Wordsworth

Seems like Wild played really well last night. They had it in the bag, but that flukey(spl) scramble in the end screwed them over. I only caught the last 5 min of regulation time in the game, and all I can say is that the Wild play a very honest game, seldom did I see 2 forcheckers go deep into the canucks zone, very disciplined team. Can't really blame them in ot either, caught a bad break with a high sticking call. They will show up for game 2, don't look for this team to be folding in the tent any time soon.
    "It is often said, mainly by the "no-contests", that although there is no positive evidence for the existence of God, nor is there evidence against his existence. So it is best to keep an open mind and be agnostic. At first sight that seems an unassailable position, at least in the weak sense of Pascal's wager. But on second thought it seems a cop-out, because the same could be said of Father Christmas and tooth fairies. There may be fairies at the bottom of the garden. There is no evidence for it, but you can't prove that there aren't any, so shouldn't we be agnostic with respect to fairies?"

Richard Dawkins

"Out of all of the sects in the world, we notice an uncanny coincidence: the overwhelming majority just happen to choose the one that their parents belong to. Not the sect that has the best evidence in its favour, the best miracles, the best moral code, the best cathedral, the best stained glass, the best music: when it comes to choosing from the smorgasbord of available religions, their potential virtues seem to count for nothing, compared to the matter of heredity. This is an unmistakable fact; nobody could seriously deny it. Yet people with full knowledge of the arbitrary nature of this heredity, somehow manage to go on believing in their religion, often with such fanaticism that they are prepared to murder people who follow a different one."

Richard Dawkins

"Bah. You know I hate poor people."

Paul Stagg

Originally posted by Manveet
    Seems like Wild played really well last night. They had it in the bag, but that flukey(spl) scramble in the end screwed them over. I only caught the last 5 min of regulation time in the game, and all I can say is that the Wild play a very honest game, seldom did I see 2 forcheckers go deep into the canucks zone, very disciplined team. Can't really blame them in ot either, caught a bad break with a high sticking call. They will show up for game 2, don't look for this team to be folding in the tent any time soon.
    Dude, how was the scramble "flukey"? The Canucks threw it on net and got the rebound. And how exactly was that high sticking call a "bad break". The Minnesota player nearly took Sedin's head off with that high stick.

By the way, I'm not biased at all.
    Last edited by Rastaman; 04-26-2003 at 02:50 PM.
    -Ralph Waldo Emerson

Word.

The Quacks from Disneyland have done it again. I am stunned. Eric, you are looking like a genius here.

--Wordsworth

lol, Rastaman

I'm sure Zholtok meant to smack Sedin in the face with his stick, in order to prevent him from scoring a goal since he was in such a great situation to do so

Cooke's goal wasn't off a rebound, more like a scramble. Fernandez made the save off the initial shot, he actually did fall on the puck for a half a sec, but he rolled over to his side and the puck was sitting lose for Cooke to get a stick on it. I was actually surprised that the ref didn't blow the whistle prematurely, good thing he was in a good enough position to make the right call. I can assure you this was not a set play designed by the Canucks.

Btw, the Ducks are unstoppable right now.
    "It is often said, mainly by the "no-contests", that although there is no positive evidence for the existence of God, nor is there evidence against his existence. So it is best to keep an open mind and be agnostic. At first sight that seems an unassailable position, at least in the weak sense of Pascal's wager. But on second thought it seems a cop-out, because the same could be said of Father Christmas and tooth fairies. There may be fairies at the bottom of the garden. There is no evidence for it, but you can't prove that there aren't any, so shouldn't we be agnostic with respect to fairies?"

Richard Dawkins

"Out of all of the sects in the world, we notice an uncanny coincidence: the overwhelming majority just happen to choose the one that their parents belong to. Not the sect that has the best evidence in its favour, the best miracles, the best moral code, the best cathedral, the best stained glass, the best music: when it comes to choosing from the smorgasbord of available religions, their potential virtues seem to count for nothing, compared to the matter of heredity. This is an unmistakable fact; nobody could seriously deny it. Yet people with full knowledge of the arbitrary nature of this heredity, somehow manage to go on believing in their religion, often with such fanaticism that they are prepared to murder people who follow a different one."

Richard Dawkins

Paul Stagg

lol, Rastaman

I'm sure Zholtok meant to smack Sedin in the face with his stick, in order to prevent him from scoring a goal since he was in such a great situation to do so

Ok, granted, he didn't mean to. It was still a careless penalty by the Minnesota Wild. Yes, the goal with 1.2 seconds left was a scramble goal, but why call it "flukey"? Its not like it bounced off the back of Wes Walz's head and went in. Mat Cooke simply buried the puck in close.
    -Ralph Waldo Emerson

Word.

I don't know what Zholtok was thinking when he lifted his stick up on Sedin like that. The CBC announcers said the same thing. Extremely careless use of the stick and unacceptable when the game is on the line, as it always is in OT.

Anytime you score in the last minute of the game it is probably "flukey" but the Canucks, to their credit, made that goal happen, they shot the puck and crashed the net.

--Wordsworth

Banned
    The goal definitely wasn't flukey. It certainly wasn't a highlight reel goal, but they all count, and I'm sure Canucks' fans were just as happy with that goal as the "amazing" two-line pass goal that knocked the Flames out in '94 (and no I'm not biased ).

That being said, it was a defensive breakdown by a good defensive team, and if looked upon in that sense then maybe it was a little bit of a fluke. I give the Canucks credit though. I thought that game was in the bag when Walz put in goal number 2.

Banned
    I also agree that Sekeras' (not Zholtok) high-sticking penalty was completely careless. I must admit that, cheering for the opposition, it becomes downright impossible to listen to the CBC guys though, so I take what they say with a grain of salt. Those bozos acted as though he did it intentionally...I'm sure someone playing for an extremely good coach like Lemaire would try to put his team a man-down in overtime of the playoffs .
    Last edited by Vido; 04-27-2003 at 02:25 PM.

Good win by the Wild

Before anyone says anything about questionable call near the end of the game. Magoo was not in a position to see the hand on the puck, plus one can argue he had his arms in the air signaling the end of the play just as the hand went on the puck.

Richard Dawkins

Richard Dawkins

Paul Stagg

Banned
    Well that win by the Wild means there WILL be a 5th game in this series, so I get to go to a playoff game! Wouldn't be surprised if I get alcohol or food thrown at me for some of the comments I'll have ready for the Canucks .

Exciting finish to that game. The Wild seem to be pretty shaky when it comes to holding leads in this series, but the two beauties early in the 3rd period were enough this time. Roloson played well and I expect he'll get the call in game 3. He's now 3-0-1 against Vancouver on the season. Can't say the Wild deserved that game, but they should have won game 1, so I guess it all evens out. Oh yeah, and now they have home-ice advantage...not that that has meant anything in these playoffs so far.

I didn't see much of the other game today, but I guess the Sens were hitting Cechmanek with the puck all day as he flopped around in that goal. Phili might not have deserved this one today, but again, they should have won game 1 so we're all square in this series too.

Banned
    Good win by the Wild

Before anyone says anything about questionable call near the end of the game. Magoo was not in a position to see the hand on the puck, plus one can argue he had his arms in the air signaling the end of the play just as the hand went on the puck.
    That was Minnesota Wild hockey once again. Hang around all game and capitalize on their chances. They tried a faster paced game in the first period and were lucky to come out of the period tied at zero. They need to stick to their defensive tight-checking style if they want to have a chance.

I completely agree about the call at the end of the game. With a zillion different camera angles it still wasn't conclusive that Marshall closed his hand on the puck, although he probably did. However, when it's that tough to see with the aid of video replay, try making the call out there on the ice in the thick of the action. I don't think McGough can be blamed for that one at all.

The Wild won that game fair and square. No complaints here.
    I think there was definetely a good case to be made that the Wild player put his hand over the puck in the crease. But Magoo couldn't see it, and the rules don't allow for a video review of it. Magoo is not to blame for not seeing that. There was a swarm of bodies everywhere. However, his positioning was suspect on the play. He was supposed to be behind the net in such a situation. It is his job to see where the puck is at all times.

GG Wild, see you in game 3.

Pound those little craps this time Canucks

--Wordsworth

Canucks and Sens win. Good night

--Wordsworth

Banned
    Originally posted by orbital
    Canucks and Sens win. Good night
    I would say the exact opposite.

Originally posted by Vido

I would say the exact opposite.
    No way. Vido, are you turning on us Canadian hockey fans now?

--Wordsworth