The Five Biggest Contradictions in Fitness
Latest Article

The Five Biggest Contradictions in Fitness

It’s no secret that when people contradict themselves, it has the effect of making the flaws in their actions or statements seem glaringly obvious. But what about when WE ourselves get caught contradicting ourselves by someone else?

By: Nick Tumminello Added: January 6th, 2014
More Recent Articles
Contrast Training for Size
By: Lee Boyce
An Interview with Marianne Kane of Girls Gone Strong
By: Jordan Syatt
What Supplements Should I be Taking? By: Jay Wainwright
Bench Like a Girl By: Julia Ladewski
Some Thoughts on Building a Big Pull By: Christopher Mason

Facebook Join Facebook Group       Twitter Follow on Twitter       rss Subscribe via RSS
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
    Wannabebig Member
    i havnt read everyones reply, so i dont know if anyone said this--but drinking moderately, eg.--once a week is not harmful. it actually can help your muscles grow

the key word in those studies is :chronic. as in, chronic exposure, not chonric. ahhh. yeah.

moderation is key
    **Gym Etiquette**
    1. under no cirumstances should a cell phone be turned on in an institute of fitness.
    2. if your at the gym, be there to work out. nothing annoys a serious trainer more than gym posers.

How does alcohol help your muscles grow?

I was wondering that too, but wanted to live in denial. Thanks for ruining it for me.

True that moderation is key. If your sitting there and stressing that you are not enjoying yourself due to the fact that your not drinking is not good either. Alcohol doesn't make your muscles grow, but it also doesn't stop them from growing. Remember that BB'ing is a hobby for most of us, don't let it take over your life.

I chose not to drink, as imo it is a waste of money. But I don't sit there and wish I still drank but don't becasue of the "potential gains" I may be losing out on.

Originally posted by AJ_11
    Alcohol doesn't make your muscles grow, but it also doesn't stop them from growing.
    That's not what MissFit said. I want to hear how alcohol makes muscles grow.

Always in the Action Severed Ties's Avatar
    Simple it doesn't.

Most studies show that a single drink can offer some health benefits by increasing circulation but it's a real stetch to say it would help muscle growth in any fashion.

As Power pointed out the first study used a rather high amount of alcohol which would equate to blood alcohol level of around .03-.035 in a human. This is thouroughly intoxicated but many people (and some members here) binge drink with some degree of reguality. So it's important to note that alcohol is not just calories but can be catabolic.

My reason for posting the studies dealing with chronic alcohol use is because I found it rather intriguing that alcohol seems to act mainly on type II muscle fibers.

ST
    "Your bench makes Jesus cry." -Shark

This is 10% luck, 15% skill, 20% concentrated power of will, 5% pleasure and 50% pain, and 100% reason to remember the name...

Yeah whenever I drink I'm at about .3+

Originally posted by heathj
    Yeah whenever I drink I'm at about .3+
    .3?? im surprised your still alive
    excellence is the result of caring more than others think is wise, dreaming more than others think is practical, and expecting more than others think is possible.

Wannabebig Member
    Wouldent smoking pot help you grow? all i know is when i was in high school i got so high i looked at a take out chinese menu and ordered a family meal, it was the one that feeds 14-16 people, i ate all of it. my mom came home from work and i was laying on the floor in a pile of emty chinese take out boxs with a bong next to me. i felt so sick i thought my intestense was going to rip out of my stomach. After she kicked my sick stoned ass i never smoked again that was 8 years ago.

Originally posted by Tony
    ordered a family meal, it was the one that feeds 14-16 people, i ate all of it.
    I didn't know chinese were Catholic.

MACHINE
    Severed Ties - please post more specific info. I'm still not convinced.

lol
    "He's the best damn rollerskater that ever lived...probably in the whole town" - Chris Pontius

If you can't be with the one you love, love the one you're with.

5'10" 215 lbs
    Personal Bests:
    Bench 355
    Squat 505
    Deadlift 560

Crap, I had a post with a lot of comments and questions and I guess it must not have gone through with site difficulties going on last week.

Trying to remember what I said.

From the looks of it, all the tests posted are on rats. So how can we be certain that the effects would be the same on humans? If we took all rat tests and took them at face value, then we wouldn't be taking in as much protein as we do, nor supplementing with creatine as we'd all be getting kidney transplants right?

Also, the definition of "chronic" alcoholism, seems somewhat subjective, and also, I'm not sure what would be the comparison between chronic for a rat and chronic for a human.

The last thing that really confused me was this statement. "...the first study used a rather high amount of alcohol which would equate to blood alcohol level of around .03-.035 in a human. This is thouroughly intoxicated..." How is .03-.035 considered "thoroughly intoxicated" when, I know that the limit in Ontario here is 0.08, which is significantly higher than what you quoted, and even .08 is rarely a cause for impairment, let alone making someone thoroughly intoxicated.

Maybe I missed something in the post, but it seems like this is still stretching things quite a bit. Although, I'm sure my original post last week sounded better.
    Deadlifts are like women, they'll hurt you everytime, but they'll also make you a man. - Me

Friends don't let friends do dumbell kickbacks. - Me

ElP is the smartest man in the world. - Gyno Rhino

A low voter turnout is an indication of fewer people going to the polls. -- Dan Quayle

If do right, no can defense. -- Mr. Miyagi

Deep Thoughts by Jack Handey:

I can picture in my mind a world without war, a world without hate. And I can picture us attacking that world, because they'd never expect it.

Is there anything more beautiful than a beautiful, beautiful flamingo, flying across in front of a beautiful sunset? And he's carrying a beautiful rose in his beak, and also he's carrying a very beautiful painting with his feet. And also, you're drunk.

Current FFFA Enforcer

elP, I think maybe you posted it in the other thread - the one that is a sticky in...training, maybe? with a link to this one in it.

I just read a post that had your name on it and sounded suspiciously similar to this one over there.
    You can't babysit this.

Ah yes, why thank you sweatheart.

I read the response in the other thread and am now content.
    Deadlifts are like women, they'll hurt you everytime, but they'll also make you a man. - Me

A low voter turnout is an indication of fewer people going to the polls. -- Dan Quayle

I can picture in my mind a world without war, a world without hate. And I can picture us attacking that world, because they'd never expect it.

Is there anything more beautiful than a beautiful, beautiful flamingo, flying across in front of a beautiful sunset? And he's carrying a beautiful rose in his beak, and also he's carrying a very beautiful painting with his feet. And also, you're drunk.

Current FFFA Enforcer

Always in the Action Severed Ties's Avatar
    EL P, I responded to you in the sticky

ST
    "Your bench makes Jesus cry." -Shark

This is 10% luck, 15% skill, 20% concentrated power of will, 5% pleasure and 50% pain, and 100% reason to remember the name...

Originally posted by ElPietro
    Ah yes, why thank you sweatheart.

Awww, elP. You called me 'sweatheart'.

I'm....I'm not sure what to say.
    You can't babysit this.

Something kind of funny last week. Only drank twice, didn't lose any weight. Week before drank 5 nights lost weight, thouse 2 night were only a few. Also last week my appettite was gone, I wasn't doing very good a forcing the food down either. I have been taking EC, but I have been for a month.
    Sounds weird but I wonder if my body was used to getting all the extra cals for alcohol? Thats 1000 cals or so a night. I think maybe went into starvatin mode.
    Haven't drank this week. Had a big meal sunday, still no appetite, had a big one wednesday and its back. And it looks like I lost a lb.
    I've always been a believer in refeeds, even before I head the term. Usually I am weak enough where I don't need to have one on purpose.

You were probably just dehydrated. Your body doesn't get used to eating chicken and stop keeping track of the cals does it? Same with booze. But it will dehydrate you, and fluctuations in water weight can make a significant difference on the scale.

Current FFFA Enforcer

I don't think I was dehydrated, I been drinking more water then ever. Though could have been.
    Taking the alcohol away was like cutting my diet by 800-1200 cals a day. That is more then you normally would adjust your diet.
    Next time I'll half to ease into sobriety, cool turkey

Wannabebig Member
    "Milk is for babies, when you grow up you have to drink beer." -Arnold
    Its only kinky the first time you try it.

Originally posted by Tony
    my mom came home from work and i was laying on the floor in a pile of emty chinese take out boxs with a bong next to me.
    ROFLMAO

I just got a visual of that.
    Height: 5'7"
    Weight: Not Big Enough

“Take things as they are. Punch when you have to punch. Kick when you have to kick.” — Bruce Lee

Wannabebig Member
    Smokin 1 joint after a big competition to relax and celebrate isnt bad at all!

bench, deadlift & eat!!!!! Mic Soloist's Avatar
    Originally posted by jwreck
    "Milk is for babies, when you grow up you have to drink beer." -Arnold

Hell YES
    Current Stats

24 years old

5'10 220 pounds

Waist: 38 Shoulders 56 Chest: 47 Arms (cold): 17.5 Forearms: 13.5 Quads: 26.5 Calves: 16.5 Neck: 17.5

PR's

BB Bench: 315 @ 215
    Squats: 410 @ 205 (last winter)
    Deads 515 @ 214
    Total: 1240

My Journal:

http://www.wannabebigforums.com/show...&page=16&pp=25

My AIM: MSOLOIST

Intensity: Lunch comes up! And breakfast! MET- Rx! Egg whites! Hot Stuff! Designer Whey! Yohimbe! Coenzyme Q! L-Carnatine. MTCs. OKG. All immersed in a mixture of stomach acids that peels the ivory off your teeth.

Originally posted by AJ_11
    True that moderation is key. If your sitting there and stressing that you are not enjoying yourself due to the fact that your not drinking is not good either. Alcohol doesn't make your muscles grow, but it also doesn't stop them from growing. Remember that BB'ing is a hobby for most of us, don't let it take over your life.

I chose not to drink, as imo it is a waste of money. But I don't sit there and wish I still drank but don't becasue of the "potential gains" I may be losing out on.
    I'd like to bring everyone's attention to AJ's post again, because I believe it is dead-on correct in the way we should be viewing things. A couple years ago (during my sophmore through senior years in college) I was TOO obscessed with getting big. I'd avoid going out drinking with my friends sometimes because I would worry about oversleeping the next day and ruining my eating schedule or having a sub-par workout.

For these two reasons, I feel like I wasted much of my college years. I didnt meet as many people as most of my friends did, and I think my friends were better friends with each other than with me because I kept myself so distant and unavailable.
    Learn from my mistakes and make sure you have balance in your life.

Off topic note:
    For those that don't know, I'm now a skinny bitch w/ no muscles. I havent lifted in two years. I only frequent these boards because I love BB'ing and talking about lifting and nutrition. My overzealousness for getting big caused me to over-accentuate the peak stretch of most lifts (because I repeatedly read that a good, deep stretch is necessary to give maximal growth). While it is uncertain that this is definitely what caused my injuries, most doctors agree that this is probably what happened. I also have wrist, knee, ankle, and elbow pain. I am the oldest young guy you'll ever meet
    Last edited by dirty-c; 08-20-2003 at 01:25 PM.

Speaking from personal experience, this is what I know about smoking cigarretes, I smoked for 10 years.

1. You stink, other nonsmokers can smell it, I didn't realize this till I quit
    2. You can't smell/taste stuff properly, food taste better when you quit, you can smell the trees and **** outside when you quit also
    3. You can't breath, I quit in december, tryed running for a week, was dying I couldn't breathe. 2 months ago tryed to run, was much easier, I can run over 5 miles np now. Smoking really ****s your lungs bad, really bad....and yes after you quit over time they get better and better, that is proof I think right there.

Does it affect muscle growth is something I've always wondered also. Here's my theory, I think smoking stops oxygen from getting to your muscles, thus hindering growth. It makes sense I think.

One reason this might be true is cause I stopped lifting weights like 2 years ago, then in December when I quit smoking I started doing pushups, just plain pushups. Picked up the bar 2 months ago and my max bench went up 30 pounds. Was it the quitting smoking that made it so easy to make insane gains with just pushups?

About alcohol I dunno, but it's not as bad as smoking it can't be, just what it does to your breathing and the way you smell is enough reason to quit. If I would have known I smelled like crap all the time I would have quit smoking way sooner. Goodluck.

Oh about weed, yea I'll smoke a joint on occassion rarely, you gotta have some fun heh.