The Five Biggest Contradictions in Fitness
Latest Article

The Five Biggest Contradictions in Fitness

Itís no secret that when people contradict themselves, it has the effect of making the flaws in their actions or statements seem glaringly obvious. But what about when WE ourselves get caught contradicting ourselves by someone else?

By: Nick Tumminello Added: January 6th, 2014
More Recent Articles
Contrast Training for Size
By: Lee Boyce
An Interview with Marianne Kane of Girls Gone Strong
By: Jordan Syatt
What Supplements Should I be Taking? By: Jay Wainwright
Bench Like a Girl By: Julia Ladewski
Some Thoughts on Building a Big Pull By: Christopher Mason

Facebook Join Facebook Group       Twitter Follow on Twitter       rss Subscribe via RSS
Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123
    Wannabebig Member
    There was another study done with rats and alcohol. The results were that only the smarter rats, i.e. could find food in a maze and that sort of s**t, would continue to drink alcohol daily. The researchers theory is that they learnt how much they could drink and not suffer the ill effects.

I don't know about rats. But if you want to drink you need to learn how. Atleast if you want to carry on a normal life.

Well, speaking from ALOT of experience smokin bud regularly DEFINITLY has an impact on your muscular gains. I smoke maybe 5-6 times a week (maybe a little more if there's a good party around) and I can tell ya, compared to when I was lifting and NOT smoking my muscular growth has been HORRIBLE. Sure the insane munchies has packed on quite a bit of weight.. but it's all fat. I mean c'mon who blazes up a nice blunt and then says "I want some nice healthy sources of protein to increase my muscular gains." I personally go for dumplings, fried rice, sesame chicken, and white castle :P I can't help it. But i'll be damned it I stop smoking to get bigger. My strength has in no way changed btw just the amount of muscle I gain from going up in weight.

Wannabebig Member
    I'm searching for an article I read about the effects of smoking cigarettes and working out. From what I recall, your body only retains about 70% of the workout. It's also brutal on the heart. Long time smokers can develop irregular heart beats which could be brutal if it occured in the gym, during a heavy set.

I just quit smoking and my workouts have improved drastically (I can do more reps now).

Wannabebig Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Berserker
    I know its not good for you, but not as bad as people are saying. I don't smoke so I can't speak for that. Right now I am drinking 4-5 days a week, no belly, little bit of love handles. I make gains, maybe not the best in the world, I am nothing special. As far as test levels I usually get off one way or the other every day, so its not hurting my sex drive.
    There beer belly things is BS. Like everything else you consume it depends how active you are. Last summer I was drinking over a liter of wine every week night and booze and beer on the weekends, and I was thinner then I am now. I was also very active working in yard and walking the dog alot.
    I am not telling you to drink, if your real serious about lifting weights you shouldn't drink. I am not a pro athelete. Also I don't want to be a fat drunk so lifting helps there.
    Also if it halted protein synthis like some people say, how I am making any gains?
    The first step to recovery is admitting you have a problem.

Go hard or go home

Drink or don't drink

If you're conistantly on top of your rest, training, and nutrition then havin a beer or two on the weekend is fine for a good time, relaxing...and remaining social. Don't get hammered...don't drink more than two nights out of the week and stay on top of you're rest, training and nutrition...if you exceed this you clearly are not serious about gaining muscle...which is fine. Everybody has a passion.
    5'6
    5% bodyfat
    510 deadlift
    505 squat
    350 bench
    Total=1365

Quote Originally Posted by cosmicdebree88
    Well, speaking from ALOT of experience smokin bud regularly DEFINITLY has an impact on your muscular gains. I smoke maybe 5-6 times a week (maybe a little more if there's a good party around) and I can tell ya, compared to when I was lifting and NOT smoking my muscular growth has been HORRIBLE. Sure the insane munchies has packed on quite a bit of weight.. but it's all fat. I mean c'mon who blazes up a nice blunt and then says "I want some nice healthy sources of protein to increase my muscular gains." I personally go for dumplings, fried rice, sesame chicken, and white castle :P I can't help it. But i'll be damned it I stop smoking to get bigger. My strength has in no way changed btw just the amount of muscle I gain from going up in weight.

Correlation does not equal causation.

You could gain weight while smoking crack, does that mean that crack helps you gain weight?

bench, deadlift & eat!!!!! Mic Soloist's Avatar
    I love bodybuilding and I love drinking beer and having a good time. I try to limit the beer intake to 1-2 nights per week. Which works fine when bulking, but kills me right now while bulking. Not so much on weight gain, but on weight and strength loss. Mainly cuz I don't eat enough on drinking days or the day after drinking days.

weed

Just to let you'll know yahoo posted a study on thier website reporting that weed does not cause cancer of any kind. It turns out that THC blocks any cancer causing carcinogen produced by the marijuana.

Now, this does not include join papers or blunts if you roll it up. Thoughs will give you cancer which sucks cause i smoke out of papers alot but only cause my gf hates the bong and pipe.

Anyways stick to smoking weed through a pipe, bong , or eating it and you will be as healthy as the next guy who missed smoking weed cause he's the goverments bitch.

I agree with the people who are saying dont take lifting so seriosuly to the point where you dont drink and have no life. I just got back from spring break where I drank 8 out of 9 days. I didnt put on any weight or loose muscle and I had the best time in a while. I was in such a better mood then those weeks when im thinking about how many grams of protein I'm getting or if I miss a gym session. If you eat healthy, drinking a few times a week really wont make a big diffrence. The gains you loose are seriously probubly only noticiable to yourself.

rk77 is right there... but i recommend leaving it to one time a week