The Five Biggest Contradictions in Fitness
Latest Article

The Five Biggest Contradictions in Fitness

It’s no secret that when people contradict themselves, it has the effect of making the flaws in their actions or statements seem glaringly obvious. But what about when WE ourselves get caught contradicting ourselves by someone else?

By: Nick Tumminello Added: January 6th, 2014
More Recent Articles
Contrast Training for Size
By: Lee Boyce
An Interview with Marianne Kane of Girls Gone Strong
By: Jordan Syatt
What Supplements Should I be Taking? By: Jay Wainwright
Bench Like a Girl By: Julia Ladewski
Some Thoughts on Building a Big Pull By: Christopher Mason

Facebook Join Facebook Group       Twitter Follow on Twitter       rss Subscribe via RSS
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Hybrid View

Effects of booze and cigs on body/muscle growth?

Why and by how much does smoking weed 4-6 times a week, drinking 3 times a week (~6-12 beer at one sitting), and smoking 6-8 marbloro lights a day effect muscle growth and general health?
    Life isn't like Burger King, you can't always have it your way.

2.    Support Wannabebig and use AtLarge Nutrition Supplements!

Well from what i've heard the body is close to stopping protein synthesis, which is not very good for building muscle. PLus the fact that it'll end up giving you a belly...
    Smoking will screw up the lungs, weed or tabacco. Not very healthy.
    If this is referring to you, stop smoking and cut down on the drinking a bit.
    "I'm gonna die with a dumbell in my hand." - stpatrick44

Age: 18 | Height: 5'10" | Weight: 80kgs (176lbs) | BF%: dunno
    --
    BB Bench 1 x 110kgs (242lbs) | Deadlift: 135kgs (300lbs) x 2 | Current Routine: Bodybuilding

MulletII - AKA Ninja Boner Gyno Rhino's Avatar
    You'll die a a young age (at least you should HOPE for that, living a long time with the kind of health problem you're looking forward to ain't fun). Weight training should be the LAST of your worries.
    Founding Member and CEO of the FFFA

"All that matters is beauty on the inside! Outside beauty doesn't matter!"
    ~This is something ugly people say to feel better about themselves...

"Strength and size don't matter! It's not fair to judge training knowledge based on strength and size!"
    ~This is something wussy people say to feel better about themselves...

Pearls of Wisdom...

Resident Ninja Demon (with a pet Radioactive Sloth) and SchlonkeyMaster of WBB!

Rock is my 'Big Viking Brother', and not in a homo-esque way.

And no COLON jokes, bastards!

cool, thx guys. I was wondering if doing these things were hindering my muscle and strength growth. I guess it just screws with your general health, which you probably want to be running at peak if you want to gain muscle.
    Last edited by John0101; 04-13-2003 at 11:23 AM.

you didnt know already that all 3 screw up your health??
    A patriot must always be ready to defend his country against his government. - Edward Abbey

There is a wide difference between speaking to deceive, and being silent to be impenetrable. - Voltaire

If it can be imagined, it can be done. - Me

6'2"
    273 lbs.

drop the cigs.. cut down on the drinking.. keep smokin the weed

imma quit the cigs, thats gonna save me money. I hope if nothing else can help me gain faster.

SMOKING WEED & DRINKING LOWERS T LEVELS AND INCRESES ESTROGEN

nuff said
    To get good at most things takes 2-4 years i.e BodyBuilding, Martial Arts, Musical Instrements ect.
    To Master it, takes a life time - Buff Stuff

The answer to every query is, of course, "squats". - drew

BUFF

Wannabebig Member
    Buff Stuff how does smoking weed lower ur test level?

I know its not good for you, but not as bad as people are saying. I don't smoke so I can't speak for that. Right now I am drinking 4-5 days a week, no belly, little bit of love handles. I make gains, maybe not the best in the world, I am nothing special. As far as test levels I usually get off one way or the other every day, so its not hurting my sex drive.
    There beer belly things is BS. Like everything else you consume it depends how active you are. Last summer I was drinking over a liter of wine every week night and booze and beer on the weekends, and I was thinner then I am now. I was also very active working in yard and walking the dog alot.
    I am not telling you to drink, if your real serious about lifting weights you shouldn't drink. I am not a pro athelete. Also I don't want to be a fat drunk so lifting helps there.
    Also if it halted protein synthis like some people say, how I am making any gains?

Wannabebig Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Berserker
    I know its not good for you, but not as bad as people are saying. I don't smoke so I can't speak for that. Right now I am drinking 4-5 days a week, no belly, little bit of love handles. I make gains, maybe not the best in the world, I am nothing special. As far as test levels I usually get off one way or the other every day, so its not hurting my sex drive.
    There beer belly things is BS. Like everything else you consume it depends how active you are. Last summer I was drinking over a liter of wine every week night and booze and beer on the weekends, and I was thinner then I am now. I was also very active working in yard and walking the dog alot.
    I am not telling you to drink, if your real serious about lifting weights you shouldn't drink. I am not a pro athelete. Also I don't want to be a fat drunk so lifting helps there.
    Also if it halted protein synthis like some people say, how I am making any gains?
    The first step to recovery is admitting you have a problem.

lol if beer decreased testosterone....then why the **** am i so horny when i drink??
    A patriot must always be ready to defend his country against his government. - Edward Abbey

There is a wide difference between speaking to deceive, and being silent to be impenetrable. - Voltaire

6'2"
    273 lbs.

Somebody posted before that it increase test levels at time but they drop the next cause of it.
    Personally I think its my hibition level that drops.

umm arnold smoked weed and if u dont believe me watch pumping iron.. if ur whole life revolves around body building to the point where u worry about your test lvl dropping an insignificant amount thats sad..

Equal Opportunity Offender Budiak's Avatar
    If Arnold didnt smoke weed maybe he'd have actually looked like he deserved to beat Lou Ferrigno instead of winning because he was Joe Weider's lapdog.

But I've never seen pumping iron, so I wouldnt know.

I am glad it lowers test levels, otherwise I would be in prison or an insitution.

for the last week now my test levels have gone overdrive. i caught myself dry-humping the refrigrator last night.

Originally posted by Dkm911
    umm arnold smoked weed and if u dont believe me watch pumping iron.. if ur whole life revolves around body building to the point where u worry about your test lvl dropping an insignificant amount thats sad..
    Arnold took lots of steroids, dont forget that
    To get good at most things takes 2-4 years i.e BodyBuilding, Martial Arts, Musical Instrements ect.

BUFF

and go watch pumping iron again, he smoked weed AFTER the competition, not while training.

6'2"
    273 lbs.

Always in the Action Severed Ties's Avatar
    Originally posted by MrWebb78
    lol if beer decreased testosterone....then why the **** am i so horny when i drink??
    Because your body starts cranking up LH to try and compensate for the drop in T.

ST
    "Your bench makes Jesus cry." -Shark

This is 10% luck, 15% skill, 20% concentrated power of will, 5% pleasure and 50% pain, and 100% reason to remember the name...

Always in the Action Severed Ties's Avatar
    Oh and if anyone has any doubts about how bad alcohol is for anabolism take a close look at the first study. The others studies show some interesting effects of chronic alcohol exposure on muscle tissue, some of the highlights are alcohol induced muscle atrophy, lesions appearing on type II muscle fibers and alcohol seems to reak most of it's havoc on predominatly on type II muscle fibers.

A close look at this will make you rethink your weekend partying...as it is I'm regreting that everclear I drank just from the first study.

Alcohol Clin Exp Res 1997 Aug;21(5):792-8

Studies on the time-course of ethanol's acute effects on skeletal muscle protein synthesis: comparison with acute changes in proteolytic activity.

Reilly ME, Mantle D, Richardson PJ, Salisbury J, Jones J, Peters TJ, Preedy VR.

Department of Clinical Biochemistry, King's College School of Medicine and Dentistry, London, United Kingdom.

A study of the effects of ethanol on skeletal muscle protein synthesis and protease activities was carried out in young male Wistar rats (150 g) for up to 24 hr after a single intraperitoneal dose of 75 mmol of ethanol/kg of body weight. At 20 min, the
    mean blood ethanol levels were 448 mg/dl. This level dropped steadily to zero through the following 24 hr. Compared with pair-fed controls, significant reductions in total protein, RNA, and DNA contents were seen only after 24 hr in all skeletal muscles studied: changes were more marked in the muscles containing large proportions of type II fibers. In plantaris muscle, the fractional rate of protein synthesis (ks, %/day) did not fall 20 min after dosage but was reduced after 1 hr by 23% (p < 0.001), and by 63% after 24 hr, compared with control saline-injected rats (p < 0.001).compared with the pair-fed group, the 24-hr ethanol-treated rats still showed a 52% decrease in fractional rates of protein synthesis (p < 0.001). Smaller reductions in ks were seen in soleus muscles in response to ethanol at 24 hr (-39%, p < 0.001). The activities of a variety of lysosomal and nonlysosomal proteases in plantaris muscle of 24-hr treated rats were not significantly affected by ethanol. Only alanyl- and tripeptidyl-aminopeptidase activities were reduced significantly (26%, p < 0.05 and 39%, p < 0.01, respectively). These results suggest that the muscle compositional changes seen over acute periods of ethanol toxicity are predominantly associated with impaired synthesis of protein and that the contribution of cellular proteolytic systems may be minimal.

Incase anyone missed the it the bottom line is showing a 23% reduction in protein synthesis after 1 hr and 63 after 24 hours independent of dietary intake so a few protein shakes or otherwise perfect diet are not going to save you

Alcohol and skeletal muscle disease.

Preedy VR, Peters TJ.

Department of Clinical Biochemistry, King's College School of Medicine & Dentistry, London, U.K.

Skeletal muscle myopathy is caused by prolonged ethanol misuse and affects between half and two-thirds of chronic alcohol misusers. This chronic myopathy is characterized by a selective reduction in Type II (fast twitch) fibre area; Type I (slow twitch) fibres are relatively unaffected. The myopathy is not mediated by the patients' corticosteroid and nutritional status, liver dysfunction or neurological changes, and there is little correlation between alcoholic myopathy and alcohol intake. However, plasma alpha-tocopherol and selenium levels in myopathic alcoholics are reduced. The myopathy may in some way be related to the reduced fractional rates of skeletal muscle protein synthesis that occur in alcohol misusers and implicates free radical reactions in the pathogenesis of the myopathy. We have established a rat model of chronic alcoholic myopathy. In this model anatomically distinct skeletal muscles were taken to represent Type I (i.e. soleus) or Type II (i.e. plantaris) fibres. [b]There were selective losses of Type II muscle protein at the end of 6 weeks of ethanol feeding. These changes were also not apparently mediated by nutritional limitations, neurological changes or liver dysfunction. Skeletal muscle protein synthesis was also reduced, as was plasma alpha tocopherol and selenium levels.[b/] Thus the rat model is amendable for further work to elucidate the molecular mechanisms responsible for alcohol-induced muscle loss.

Total contractile protein contents and gene expression in skeletal muscle in response to chronic ethanol consumption in the rat.

Preedy VR, Macallan DC, Griffin GE, Cook EB, Palmer TN, Peters TJ.

Department of Clinical Biochemistry, King's College School of Medicine and Dentistry, London, UK.

An investigation was carried out to determine changes in the contents of skeletal muscle myofibrillary proteins (i.e., the contractile fraction composed principally of actin and myosin) and gene expression in skeletal muscle in response to ethanol feeding. Male Wistar rats were fed a nutritionally complete liquid diet, which contained 35% of total calories as ethanol. Controls were pair-fed isocaloric amounts of the same diet, in which ethanol was replaced by isocaloric glucose. Total mixed and contractile protein contents of the gastrocnemius in ethanol-fed rats were rapidly reduced by ethanol feeding: a response was discernible as early as 1 week after the commencement of the ethanol feeding regimen (approx. -10%, p < 0.025 and p = 0.05 for mixed and myofibrillary proteins, respectively). At 2, 4, and 6 weeks, mixed and myofibrillary protein contents were further reduced in alcohol-fed rats, by between 12% and 22%, compared to pair-fed controls. Similar changes occurred in the soluble (i.e., sarcoplasmic) protein fractions of skeletal muscle. At 2 weeks the composition of total messenger RNA and individual messenger RNA species was measured. Total messenger RNA content per muscle was reduced by 35% (p < 0.05). Messenger RNA levels for alpha-actin, beta-myosin heavy chain, and carbonic anhydrase III were not significantly altered. In conclusion, skeletal muscle protein contents are rapidly reduced by ethanol feeding, compared to pair-fed controls, though mRNA species encoding specific isoforms of myosin and actin are not affected. It is possible that chronic ethanol feeding may significantly alter the stability of mRNAs encoding other contractile proteins, or alternatively, defects in translation may predominate.

PMID: 9401668 [PubMed - indexed for MEDLINE]

Alcohol affects the skeletal muscle proteins, titin and nebulin in male and female rats.

Hunter RJ, Neagoe C, Jarvelainen HA, Martin CR, Lindros KO, Linke WA, Preedy VR.

Department of Nutrition and Dietetics, King's College, London, UK. ross.hunter@kcl.ac.uk

Alcoholic myopathy is characterized by decreased protein synthesis and contents resulting in atrophy of muscle fibers. We investigated the effect of alcohol on the cytoskeletal muscle proteins, nebulin and titin. Because women are more susceptible than men to the toxic effects of alcohol, male and female rats were included. Four groups were investigated: alcoholic males, pair-fed males, alcoholic females, pair-fed females. Alcohol consumption per unit body weight was 12.9 g/kg.d, with no difference between males and females. After 10 wk, male and female rats fed alcohol had lower gastrocnemius and plantaris protein and RNA contents (P < 0.001), with no effect on soleus, indicating myopathy of type II fibers. The gastrocnemius was fractionated to measure myofibrillary protein contents. Low percentage SDS-gel electrophoresis was performed to determine myosin heavy chain (MHC), nebulin and titin contents. Alcohol reduced gastrocnemius myofibrillary protein and MHC contents, and the plantaris RNA/protein ratio (P < 0.01). The titin/MHC and nebulin/MHC ratios were unaffected, suggesting a concomitant reduction in titin and nebulin. The decreases in titin and nebulin contents may affect muscle function. An interaction between gender and alcohol was noted for the plantaris RNA/protein ratio (P < 0.025), suggesting a reduced capacity for muscle protein synthesis in females.

PMID: 12672935 [PubMed - in process]

Ethanol-induced skeletal muscle myopathy: biochemical and histochemical measurements on type I and type II fibre-rich muscles in the young rat.

Preedy VR, Bateman CJ, Salisbury JR, Price AB, Peters TJ.

Department of Clinical Biochemistry, King's College School of Medicine and Dentistry, London, U.K.

Rats were pair-fed either a nutritionally complete liquid diet containing 36% of total calories as ethanol or isovolumetric amounts of the same diet in which ethanol was substituted by isocaloric glucose. Chronic ethanol feeding caused a preferential decline in the wet weight of the plantaris (predominantly Type II muscle fibres) which was accompanied by a reduction in the total DNA content. The soleus (a predominantly Type I fibre muscle) was relatively unaffected. Chronic ethanol exposure had no effect on the biochemical index of cell size (protein/DNA ratio) in either the plantaris or soleus. Quantitative histochemistry of Type II fibres in the plantaris demonstrated that ethanol caused an increase in the proportion of fibres with smaller diameters. Similar effects were observed for Type II fibres in the soleus. In contrast, ethanol exposure was associated with an increase in the relative proportion of Type I fibres with higher diameters, in both plantaris and soleus. Light microscopic examination of myopathic muscle sections demonstrated that lesions occurred without evidence of inflammation, fibrosis or other infiltration by non-muscle cells. It is concluded that chronic exposure of rats to ethanol is associated with skeletal muscle atrophy. The lesion appears to be specific for Type II fibres, irrespective of the predominant fibre type in the particular muscle.

PMID: 2627241 [PubMed - indexed for MEDLINE]

ST
    "Your bench makes Jesus cry." -Shark

This is 10% luck, 15% skill, 20% concentrated power of will, 5% pleasure and 50% pain, and 100% reason to remember the name...

But drinking is so fun...You loser! You just ruined the rest of my teenage years :'cry:

Last edited by heathj; 04-16-2003 at 01:21 AM.

ST, could you please explain those studies to my sleep deprived mind. Are they primarily talking about binge drinking amounts, there? Would one beer at night with dinner have any sort of negative effect?

I would think there has to be some kind of scale with relevance to how much you drink, though it is probably expedentially increasing, with the limits they stated. That is to say I would think 1 beer probably nothing, few 1/2 effect, then jumping to the limits the stated. Just guesses.
    Also the amount of alcohol in the rats, what would that comapre to in human consumption? There is a difference between a few drinks and a wino. My guess for clinical studies they are going with moderate to heavy consumption levels.
    In the end I know drinking is bad for me, but I don't want to be a fat drunk so I work out. I do see weights as a tool to reduce my drinking.
    If I was going to take this to the next level, gear, I would not drink.
    Though I can't help but wonder where I would be if I didn't drink.

Damn Im going out to get drunk, Ive just ignored all those studys that ST posted,

Ill read them tommorrow Me thinks:alcoholic

BUFF