The Five Biggest Contradictions in Fitness
Latest Article

The Five Biggest Contradictions in Fitness

Itís no secret that when people contradict themselves, it has the effect of making the flaws in their actions or statements seem glaringly obvious. But what about when WE ourselves get caught contradicting ourselves by someone else?

By: Nick Tumminello Added: January 6th, 2014
More Recent Articles
Contrast Training for Size
By: Lee Boyce
An Interview with Marianne Kane of Girls Gone Strong
By: Jordan Syatt
What Supplements Should I be Taking? By: Jay Wainwright
Bench Like a Girl By: Julia Ladewski
Some Thoughts on Building a Big Pull By: Christopher Mason

Facebook Join Facebook Group       Twitter Follow on Twitter       rss Subscribe via RSS

Thread: wine tolerance

wine tolerance

I have noticed that I can handle quite a bit of alcohol ( beer or straight liquor), but for some reason, I tend to get tipsy more readily when drinking red wine. Why is this? Anybody have this happen to them?
    "The highest reward for man's toil is not what he gets for it, but what he becomes by it." -John Ruskin 1819-1900

"He who fights monsters should see to it that in the process, he does not
    become a monster. And when you look into the abyss, the abyss also looks into
    you." - Nietzche

2.    Support Wannabebig and use AtLarge Nutrition Supplements!

MulletII - AKA Ninja Boner Gyno Rhino's Avatar
    Have you actually counted the consumption yer gettin' with the wine? Most people don't realize how much alcohol they've actually gotten when drinking a couple/few glasses of wine.
    Founding Member and CEO of the FFFA

"All that matters is beauty on the inside! Outside beauty doesn't matter!"
    ~This is something ugly people say to feel better about themselves...

"Strength and size don't matter! It's not fair to judge training knowledge based on strength and size!"
    ~This is something wussy people say to feel better about themselves...

Pearls of Wisdom...

Resident Ninja Demon (with a pet Radioactive Sloth) and SchlonkeyMaster of WBB!

Rock is my 'Big Viking Brother', and not in a homo-esque way.

And no COLON jokes, bastards!

Do you drink your red wine at room temperature? The alcohol absorbs faster than if it's chilled.

your body absorbs more thru the mouth(under the tongue, cheeks), when you sip wine it is in your mouth longer than slamming a beer or doing a shot of liquor, so the alchohol gets in your system quicker.

this sounds like complete BS, but ive read this from numerous sources so maybe there is some truth behind it.
    A patriot must always be ready to defend his country against his government. - Edward Abbey

There is a wide difference between speaking to deceive, and being silent to be impenetrable. - Voltaire

If it can be imagined, it can be done. - Me

6'2"
    273 lbs.

You need to rember that wine is 9-13% alcohol. Miller lite 4.5, bud lite, 4.25 and Bud 5. So every 12 ounces of wine is equal around 2 beer or more.
    Also wine is pretty tasty so I tend to drink it fast.
    My guess is your drinking it faster or don't realize how much alcohol your getting.
    I get drunk quicker on wine then beer, thats why I like wine.

Originally posted by Delphi
    Do you drink your red wine at room temperature? The alcohol absorbs faster than if it's chilled.
    Does that hold true for everything? If it warm it absorbs faster?

Very interesting about the absorption temp, this could be the reason since I don't find the same effect when I drink white wine, which I normally chill.

I don't think I'm drinking faster when I drink wine, I just feel it hits me faster. I am Canadian and beer here is slightly stronger than Yankee brew, but I guess the % of alcohol could have something to do with it.

The issue is that on these 'don't drink and drive' ads, they say that a shot of liquor, a beer, and a glass of wine all have the same alcohol. Is it possible that the additional compounds found in red wine affect the way the alcohol is metabolized?
    Last edited by pusher; 04-10-2003 at 02:40 PM.
    "The highest reward for man's toil is not what he gets for it, but what he becomes by it." -John Ruskin 1819-1900

"He who fights monsters should see to it that in the process, he does not
    become a monster. And when you look into the abyss, the abyss also looks into
    you." - Nietzche

MulletII - AKA Ninja Boner Gyno Rhino's Avatar
    For a glass of wine to have the same alcohol content as a beer, you need only a 4oz. glass of wine. Wine has roughly 3x the alcohol content of a beer. So one 12oz. beer = 4oz. wine. You probably have at least that during your first ten forkfuls if you're like me.
    Founding Member and CEO of the FFFA

"All that matters is beauty on the inside! Outside beauty doesn't matter!"
    ~This is something ugly people say to feel better about themselves...

"Strength and size don't matter! It's not fair to judge training knowledge based on strength and size!"
    ~This is something wussy people say to feel better about themselves...

Pearls of Wisdom...

Resident Ninja Demon (with a pet Radioactive Sloth) and SchlonkeyMaster of WBB!

Rock is my 'Big Viking Brother', and not in a homo-esque way.

And no COLON jokes, bastards!

I think the other theories are legit, but I really think it comes down to rate and consumption. I don't drink white wine, but some if it is little less %. What kind of red are you drinking Merlot cabranet? The dry red wines that are served warm usually have nmore alcohol. The lighter one that are served chilled usually less alcohol. In my experience.
    I am gonna have to experiment with temps now.

Originally posted by Berserker
    I am gonna have to experiment with temps now.
    So tonight everybody's going to be microwaving their wine.

going to need to collect multiple samples.

Heres something weird. I bough some boxed merlot. I've drank boxed wines before, lighter wines. The boxed merlot I drank cold/cool. 3 out of 4 days I had a headache. Didn't drink that much either, less then a liter, a evening. I think it has more sulfites or something for preservites though.

Remember as well, wine thins the blood a bit and improves all round circulation (and vasodialation a bit too, i think).
    "Geordie/'d3c:di/n. & adj. Brit colloq. n. 1 a native of Tyneside. 2 the dialect spoken on Tyneside. adj. of or relating to Tyneside, its people, or its dialect. [the name George + -IE]

I think any alcohol thins the blood.

This thread just tempted me into popping open a bottle! This is a little off topic, but I just wanted to add that metabolism of wine releases more aldehydes into the bloodstream than most other alchoholic beverages. These aldehydes are poisons which may explain why wine can give some people such nasty hangovers/ headaches etc.

Don't give up on wine though, the aldehydes are quickly excreted during moderate consumption. Drinking some water after drinking wine helps me with headaches.

Wine is higher in contigers. Which is a toxin. I think brandy is the worse then red wine and whiskey is up there. Vodka and gin are supposed to be the best. In fact Sky, I think, was running a campaign that there vodka wouldn't give hangovers cause it was distilled 4 times, which reduce the contigers. Smirnoff or Popov(not sure which) only twice.

I think the term is conigers. I hadn't heard anything on them in a long time. Aldehydes are supposed to cause the hangover problems, too. Ethanol is oxidized to acetaldehyde and then to acetic acid.