Thread: Power Cage Question

Power Cage Question

You guys have told me before that if I don't have a spotter I can use a power cage. Well this is what i'm wondering...

How does a power cage act as a spotter. Anyone have any articles or videos on this?

Thanks
    ANYTHING can happen on a TUESDAY!!!

In a power rack you can stick pegs into the holes of the rack. The pegs go all the way across and you can set them at different levels. So you can bench, squat, rack pulls, good mornings, and a bunch of other stuff without a spotter.
    Squat - 505
    Bench - 325
    Deadlift - 550
    Total - 1380@175

I don't have one yet. But you would set bar or pins to position near the lowest point of the bar will decsend. So if you fail the rack supports the bar. I would think it would take a little getting used to not getting thrown off balance or out of rytham when you hit them

You would set the pins slightly lower than the lowest point of your range of motion so that you do not hit them with the bar with every rep. The only time the bar should hit the pins is if you fail.

well, if it's lower than my range of motion, then how am i supposed to get up when i fail? Wouldn't i get stuck by the bar?

I was refering to squatting when I said to put the pins a few inches lower than your ROM. If you fail on your last rep of the squat you just sit your butt down of the floor then crawl out from under the bar. For bench press this can still work. If you are using proper form when you bench your chest should be "puffed out" Set the pins so that you can touch the bar to your chest and not hit the pins. The pins should be set so that when you deflate your chest and relax the arch in your back they catch the bar and you are able to slide out from under it. Make sure you test this without any weight on the bar first so that if you do not have it set up correctly you can still lift the bar off of your chest.

thanks gopher. makes much more sense now.