Thread: inner chest training article

inner chest training article

Somebody on another post asked how to develop your inner pecs. I found this article online which gives some examples.

----------------------------------------------------------------------

Building The Inner Pecs
    Don't worry if your pecs aren't as full as you'd like, as many of you already know, the pectorals are often the slowest muscles to grow and can be very difficult to fully develop-especially if you're fairly new to bodybuilding. Even after developing good form on flyes and bench press, you may still find it difficult to build your inner pecs, even though your outer pecs are growing great. This is a troublesome area for everyone to develop. Help is here! To get the full, rounded mass you want in the entire pectoral region, you've got to perform the right exercises at the right intensity and focus intensely on that area.

What exercises work the best?

1. Close-Grip Bench Press: I know what you're thinking…close-grip bench works the triceps, right? Well, yes…but if you concentrate on very strict, slow lifting and squeeze the pecs together at the top of the extension, you'll notice it really hits your inner pecs. Really concentrate on the pecs! Try to relax your arms as much as possible, letting the pecs take the brunt of the weight. Really squeeze them at the top to get the most burn for your rep! Just so you know, you will want to drop the weight down a little from what you do your normal benching on so as to get the form down and really focus on the pecs. Once you build up this area of the pecs, you will definitely go up in overall bench press.

How to grip the bar: Your hands should be in the range of shoulder width. See what works best for you. You may find that a few inches in from shoulder width hits the inner pecs hardest. So experiment a little with the grip to find what allows you to get the most work and stress carried by your pecs.
    How to do the movement: Bring the weight down to your chest slowly at the count of 1…2… breathing in on the way down. Barely touch your chest before pushing the weight back up while exhaling to the same count of 1…2… Focus entirely on letting your pecs do the work. Hold it at the top for a count of 1…2…while squeezing your pecs together. Then lower the weight back down to the same count while you inhale. Make sure this is all in one fluid, strict motion (no bouncing!).

Sets: This is somewhat of a dispute. First of all, get your form down with lighter weight. Then, use a weight that you can get only 6-10 reps on for 3+ sets for definition and mass. For more definition, reduce the weight and go for 12-15 reps and 5+ sets. For more mass, go for 5-6 reps and heavier weight for less sets. Just remember to get your form down good and always lift slowly and strictly to get the most gains, develop the fullest pecs, and avoid ripping or tearing muscles.

Note: To get full pectoral development, it's good to add incline and decline close-grip bench into your chest day routine. This will build and work the upper and lower mid parts of the pectorals, respectively. Use the same method as with regular flat bench close-grip bench. Build massive and full pecs!!!

2. Flyes: Use the universal fly machine for this exercise. It works extremely well for hitting the pecs. The key to working and building the inner pecs with this exercise lies in your mind. Make your pecs squeeze together at completion of the movement and really flex them at the point where your arms are brought together. Do this movement slowly and strictly. Inhale as you slowly allow the weight to fall back on the stack, widening your arms. Use a fluid motion and exhale as your pecs force the weight up and your arms back together. This can be murder on your pecs…just what you want!

Sets, Breathing, and Lifting: Use similar breathing and lifting patterns as with close-grip bench. Do the sets similarly as well, although with flyes, it's recommended to do more sets that usual to really rip your pecs a new one.
    3. Cable Crossovers: These intense pectoral isolators are especially known for etching deep striations into the pecs. Stress is placed on the entire pectorals especially the inner, lower and outer pecs, not to mention secondarily working the anterior deltoids.

How to do the movement: With your feet shoulder width apart, grasp the handles attached to the pulleys so that your palms face towards the floor with your arms slightly bent. Your arms should be extended diagonally upward. Bring your torso a bit forward to maximize the stress on your pectorals and hold this position for the duration of the set. Exhale as you force your hands down and together, primarily using pectoral strength to bring them to a position about six inches in front of your hips. Make sure the movement is strict, slow and in a semicircular arc. At the finishing position, try to hold it for about 5 seconds as if doing a "most muscular" pose, flexing your pecs intensely. Slowly allow the weight to lower back down and your arms to raise back up to the starting position. You can also perform this exercise kneeling on the floor or with one arm at a time to increase the concentration.

A Fortnight Dead
    *dons asbestos suit*
    "human kind/
    Cannot bear very much reality/
    Time past and time future/
    What might have been and what has been / Point to one end, which is always present."

-T.S. Eliot. "Four Quartets."

"Redistribution [of wealth] is in effect far less a redistribution of free income from the richer to the poorer, as we [had] imagined, than a redistribution of power from the individual to the State."
    -Jouvenal

Fear me, I am the bandersnatch.
    -Paul Stagg

Back at it
    Uh oh...

*dons asbestos suit*

What does that mean?

trouble brewing

*ducks and covers*
    What is elite?
    "Those who work the hardest often complain the least." -anonymous
    Pain is inevitable. Suffering is optional.

That your gonna get flamed. The majority of the people on this site think you cannot work certain areas of the chest.
    Personally I don't know I haven't done enough experimenting. I just bench for strength.

This thread will probably get locked. What usually will happen before that is memembers will make smart ass comments with little discussion why. Some of those memebers are just going along with the crowd. Or they will say this has been discussed before, well then don't post. Hell almost everything has been discussed, should jsut close everything turn them to stickies?

I am sure it gets annoying see the same old question come up all the time. But you read the name of the thread what did you expect?
    Before I came to this site I hadn't read a singal bodybuilding article in probably 8 years. I too was under the assumption differant angles made a difference. Now I am having doubts and rethinking things, while ding my own research.

Westy, like berserker said...this topic has been beaten to death. Search for "upper chest" and see what comes up.
    The general consensus on this board (and I agree) is that there is no such thing as your "inner" or "outer" or "lower" chest. The chest is one muscle, and it either contracts as a whole, or it doesn't. There is no way to isolate parts of a muscle.

grow.....Grow....GROW.....
    I don't know if I agree with that logic or not. There have been days were my outer pecs where sore a hell after a workout and the inners were not. But to each his own opinion.

But there is one way for sure to get the thread locked and that is to mention a "SMITH MACHINE".

"runs and ducks for cover"
    Last edited by Joey G.; 04-15-2003 at 02:18 PM.
    If at first you don't succeed, take 5 lbs. off and try again.

I'll tell ya what I've seen when reading here. Its not so much that you isolate parts of the chest but you can stress certain parts of the chest more so than others.

Can you stress it enough to beneficial in bringing up a lagging area of that muscle? I doubt it. Its genetics. You can't shape a muscle. The debate has been going on for years. If it were true don't you think so people would just have a freaky upper chest or massive inner pecs? I've been doing inclines for years and my incline bench nearly matches my flat. But to tell you the truth my "lower" pecs are still bigger.

Why do I do inclines if they don't really help? Because I like the it better. Less stress on certain parts of my body. My pecs don't touch. If I thought working my "inner" pecs would move the muscles closer together then I might try to focus on them but you can't.

You can stress certain parts of the muscle but if it reacts as one muscle and grows like one muscle then why not go for the full benefit and bring the whole package up?
    What is elite?
    "Those who work the hardest often complain the least." -anonymous
    Pain is inevitable. Suffering is optional.

It's gotta be genetics. Look at the pro's...many of them are deficient in certain areas, and they simply can't change that through working that area twice as hard as the others...otherwise they'd all look perfect, right?

People wonder why I call myself Mr. T. One dude asked, 'does the T stand for tough?' I said no. Another dude asked if the T stands for my last name, Tureaud. No it does not. The 'T' in Mr. T stands for tuna. T loves tuna.

:withstupi (homeyield that is)

Berserker i hear you on how you feel about people getting flamed, but this topic get its coverage every month and despite many warnings people still come forward with the post.

Even if you could work different areas of the chest, i wouldnt bother because you'd end up overtraining, just go for the basics and cover the whole job, im afraid shape is down to genetics, im glad mine look good only thing you can do is get modified implants or get some synthol and have lumps all over the shop.
    Last edited by Silverback; 04-15-2003 at 02:37 PM.
    The only limits are the one's you place on yourself...

Originally posted by HomeYield
    I'll tell ya what I've seen when reading here. Its not so much that you isolate parts of the chest but you can stress certain parts of the chest more so than others
    This is word for word what I have experienced, but since Will already typed it out... I'll just do this.......
    :withstupi
    Check out my Training Journal HERE

105kg Open IPF Classic Provincial record holder in the squat, bench, deadlift, and total.

Originally posted by Big-Ron
    :withstupi (homeyield that is)

Berserker i hear you on how you feel about people getting flamed, but this topic get its coverage every month and despite many warnings people still come forward with the post.

We get new memembers every month too. I don't see why there should a be a warning about discussing body building. Until God puts a billboard on I-94, its worth discussing. After all it is not common knowledge required to get you HS diploma. Before I cam her I had no idea. I did doubt some of the stuff about biceps though.
    I pretty much beleive it is genetics. I read on here somewhere you are feeling stress on the insetion point of the muscle. I feel closegrips in my inner chest, but my inner chest is no more developed.

It would be nice to discuss it in a logical and beneficial way.

The article would maybe be valid if it had one single shred of intelligent thought in it. Who the hell is dumb enough to think that by pushing your muscles together you are causing them to work different regions. Keeping my arms close together in a close grip is simply physically pushing the muscles together, and has absolutely nothing to do with what's going on as far as lifting the weight at all.

The article is just stupid extrapolations based on incorrect assumptions. I'm sure I could find articles on the internet on pretty much anything and post it, but I realize that probably 90% of them are BS from someone trying to sound intelligent.

Berserker, your comments aren't exactly helpful either now are they? There is a reason people get fed up, but still respond. So that others will use the search and discover all the past conversations. At least we post that much, instead of getting into the exact same debate over and over again. If we didn't post anything at all, then the army of the ignorant would finally achieve victory. So use the search, read what's been said, and hopefully learn from it.
    Deadlifts are like women, they'll hurt you everytime, but they'll also make you a man. - Me

Friends don't let friends do dumbell kickbacks. - Me

ElP is the smartest man in the world. - Gyno Rhino

A low voter turnout is an indication of fewer people going to the polls. -- Dan Quayle

If do right, no can defense. -- Mr. Miyagi

Deep Thoughts by Jack Handey:

I can picture in my mind a world without war, a world without hate. And I can picture us attacking that world, because they'd never expect it.

Is there anything more beautiful than a beautiful, beautiful flamingo, flying across in front of a beautiful sunset? And he's carrying a beautiful rose in his beak, and also he's carrying a very beautiful painting with his feet. And also, you're drunk.

Current FFFA Enforcer

I don't think people lack inteligence because they feel an exercise strain a certain area of the muscle, and think that there working that part of the muscle. I am not saying is correct, but not lunacy either. I feel closegrip work my inner chest, so I could see how someone would think by doing them it would make a difference.
    People have thought for years incline benching gonna develop the upper chest, its not gonna go away over night.

If people used the search function for everything we would have about 5 posts a day in this forum. I do understand how it can get old. There are topics the come up all the time and I think WTF are people thinking. Hopefully theres enough people on this forum that when the rest of us get board answering dumb questions, someone will.

3:16
    Originally posted by Joey G.
    I don't know if I agree with that logic or not. There have been days were my outer pecs where sore a hell after a workout and the inners were not. But to each his own opinion.

but soarness does not mean growth
    my exprience - joined gym 10 years ago, 6 1/2 years hard weight training exprience.

accuflex - LOLZZZZ!!!11one1!! SOEM PPL WORK THRE ARMZ!!!!11!! LETS KILL THEM111

"You can fake effort with grunts and clanging weights but quiet, consistent hard work coupled with gradual strength increases earns universal respect in gyms" - Steve Colescott

I'd rather Situation be a member of this board. -Joey54

Yeah, if it's a common question with a quick response then I will answer appropriately. But something like this, will always lead to a long in-depth debate, and all the same points will come out, and it'll turn into a big pissing match. That is why the search engine is suggested here. This discussion has never once been kept civil, so no point repeating all this foolishness and getting pissed off over it time and time again.
    Deadlifts are like women, they'll hurt you everytime, but they'll also make you a man. - Me

Friends don't let friends do dumbell kickbacks. - Me

ElP is the smartest man in the world. - Gyno Rhino

A low voter turnout is an indication of fewer people going to the polls. -- Dan Quayle

If do right, no can defense. -- Mr. Miyagi

Deep Thoughts by Jack Handey:

I can picture in my mind a world without war, a world without hate. And I can picture us attacking that world, because they'd never expect it.

Is there anything more beautiful than a beautiful, beautiful flamingo, flying across in front of a beautiful sunset? And he's carrying a beautiful rose in his beak, and also he's carrying a very beautiful painting with his feet. And also, you're drunk.

Current FFFA Enforcer

Okay now I see what you guys meant when you said trouble brewing..

I didn't realize that this subject had been beaten to death. So once a thread gets locked we should never mention the subject again? I'm sure a lot of the same topics come up over and over. There are always going to be new people that join this board and want to join the discussion of a thread that has been closed.

I wanted to comment on another post discussing inner chest development and it was locked before I had a chance to say something.

I came to this board to learn from other lfiters. Even if I disagree with what some of you think, I still like to learn from different points of view and analyze some of my own theories.

For the record I agree that the chest is one muscle but I think you can target certain areas. When I do incline bench the upper part of my chest gets sore and the bottom doesn't. Likewise if I do real heavy flys my outer chest kills me.

Okay guys, I promise I'll never mention this again.

I see no reason not to discuss it again. lp.... not to be obnoxious here, but.... I think you just demonstrated to us the main reason these convos don't stay civil.

Guys, you don't like the thread, don't reply in it. There are enough new guys here that might have different arguments to add. Granted, my thoughts will likely not change, but who knows...
    "Except Belial. He knows everything. This isn't a sarcastic attack, either. He really knows everything." -----Organichu
    "Alex is all knowing and perfect"-----Jane (loosely paraphrased)
    -515/745/700 bench/deadlift/squat
    Current mile time: 4:23
    Marathons: 3
    Century races: 3
    Ironmans: 1
    Ultramarathons: 1
    Current supps: http://www.atlargenutrition.com/prod...covery/results

P.S. Was that my initiation to the board?

Naw, there's still the wedgies, the obligatory kegstand of natty light, and Yates' "Secret" initiation.
    "Except Belial. He knows everything. This isn't a sarcastic attack, either. He really knows everything." -----Organichu
    "Alex is all knowing and perfect"-----Jane (loosely paraphrased)
    -515/745/700 bench/deadlift/squat
    Current mile time: 4:23
    Marathons: 3
    Century races: 3
    Ironmans: 1
    Ultramarathons: 1
    Current supps: http://www.atlargenutrition.com/prod...covery/results