The Five Biggest Contradictions in Fitness
Latest Article

The Five Biggest Contradictions in Fitness

Itís no secret that when people contradict themselves, it has the effect of making the flaws in their actions or statements seem glaringly obvious. But what about when WE ourselves get caught contradicting ourselves by someone else?

By: Nick Tumminello Added: January 6th, 2014
More Recent Articles
Contrast Training for Size
By: Lee Boyce
An Interview with Marianne Kane of Girls Gone Strong
By: Jordan Syatt
What Supplements Should I be Taking? By: Jay Wainwright
Bench Like a Girl By: Julia Ladewski
Some Thoughts on Building a Big Pull By: Christopher Mason

Facebook Join Facebook Group       Twitter Follow on Twitter       rss Subscribe via RSS

Critique My Routine

I just started working out seriously about 2.5 months ago, and I've been making good progress. This is what my routine currently looks like. I made this routine based on things that I've learned on this site, as well as recommendations from a personal trainer (I paid for a few sessions when I was starting to work out, because I wanted to learn proper form before I started lifting heavy) I know that there are no squats or deadlifts tuttut but that is because I'm not confident that I know how to do these exercises with the proper form yet. I know form is the most important thing, and it has taken me a long time to be confident that I am doing the following exercises with good form. I intend to go to a personal training session very soon in order to be confident enough in my form to start WBB1, but for now this is what my routine looks like (the weights and reps are from the last day I did these exercises, some of them are estimated, 6 reps really means somewhere between 6-8)

Day 1-Chest, Bis, Tris
    BB Bench Press 160*6, 165*6, 170*4
    DB Flys 45*6, 50*5, 45*6
    Chest Press (Machine) 185*6, 185*6, 185*6
    Skull Crushers 65*8, 65*8, 65*6
    DB Curls 35*6, 35*6, 35*6
    Hammer Curls 35*12
    Preacher Curls 20 (I add 20lbs to an EZ curl bar)*6, 20*6, 20*6
    Cable Tricep Pushdowns 140?*6, 140?*6, 140*6?

Day 2-Back
    Chin Ups BW*6, BW *5, BW *4
    Lat Pulldowns 130*6, 140*6, 130*6
    Cable Low Row 150*6, 150*6, 150*6
    Row (Machine) 162.5*6, 162.5*6, 162.5*6
    Super Pullover (Machine) 200*6, 210*6, 210*6
    Dips BW*8, BW*8, BW*5

Day 3-Legs
    45 Degree Squat 180*6, 230*6, 230*6
    Seated Calf Raises 110*6, 130*6, 130*6
    Leg Extension (Machine) 140*6, 150*6, 160*6
    Leg Curls (Machine) 130*8, 140*6, 140*6
    Leg Press (Machine) 320*6, 340*6

Day 4-Shoulders and Forearms
    DB Millitary Press 25*6, 25*6, 25*5
    Shoulder Press (Machine) 120*6, 110*6, 90*6
    Shrugs 70*6, 70*6, 70*6
    Wrist Curls-25*15, 25*15, 25*10
    Plate Loaded Grip Machine 55*10, 55*8, 55*6

I usually have one or two rest days to break this up, the rest days usually change depending on the amount of schoolwork I have to deal with. I know that I need to add in abs somewhere, but I'm not sure which day. My main goals are to gain size, especially in my arms and chest. I also want to bring my shoulders up to par with the rest of my body.

How does this look? Am I overtraining? Undertraining? Am I surprisingly weak in some areas based on what I'm doing in others (eg, I think my shoulders are by far the weakest part of my body)? I would appreciate any criticism. I've been making some big gains with this routine, but I'm sure that I'm doing something wrong, and I'm completely willing to make the necessary adjustments. Thanks in advance

2.    Support Wannabebig and use AtLarge Nutrition Supplements!

Day 1 - bag the machine work and in some straight bar curls

Day 2 - bag the machines and do db pullovers

Day 4 - add in a exercise for the rear delts

Wannabebig Member

Not too bad

Day 1:

I agree bag the machine and add inclines

Lower your arm stuff to 4-5 sets for each muscle group

Day 2

Move dips to another day, drop the machines and add deadlifts. I know you are not confident but they work !!

Day 3

Dump the leg extenstions and Leg press machine add squats. Again I know you are not confident but these will grow you like a weed.

Day 4

I like to do side and rear laterals for balanced shoulder development.

Thanks a lot to both of you

I know dips work the tris, back and chest, so I'm not sure which day to put them on

I know I have to start moving away from machines, and I will as soon as I am sure that i have good form, I don't want to learn bad habits now

I used to do incline BB bench press on chest day, but I found that it hurt my left shoulder a lot (flat bench and flys hurt my shoulder a litte, not as much, I can do dips fine). I neglected working out shoulders for the first month and a half I was workint out, and I'm not sure if the pain is there because my shoulders are so much weaker than the rest of my body (especially the left one) or because I have been advancing in weight too quickly (I have gone from only being able to do reps at 95lbs on BB Bench to doing reps at 170lbs in less than 3 months) on my other exercises. I want to take care of this shoulder thing before it becomes a serious problem. Any suggestions?

I like to work my forearms with my biceps, but you don't have to. Plus you got alot going on that day. Could move biceps to shoulder day. Shorten up chest day. I also like reverse wrist curls. But I am a forearm freak.

Originally posted by Berserker
    I like to work my forearms with my biceps, but you don't have to. Plus you got alot going on that day. Could move biceps to shoulder day. Shorten up chest day. I also like reverse wrist curls. But I am a forearm freak.
    I really want bigger forearms, I think I might do biceps and forearms on the same day, so I can use hammer curls to work both of them. I've done reverse wrist curls but I always get this uncomfortable popping in my wrists, is this normal?

Would it be OK to work forarms two or three times a week? Or is once enough

I don't get a popping noise when I do reverse wrist curls. As far as how often debateable. Some people around here say they don't train them deads and shrugs do enough. Personally I don't feel that enough ROM or enough work. They also say 2" difference between forearms and biceps is good enough,not for me.

Since I started doing once a week and less sets, I haven't been seeing any results. So I started doing more sets. I am doing 3 of each right not. Used to do 5.
    Personally I don't think it would hurt to do them twice a week. If you start notice grip problems cut back. Also I do them towards the end, so not to effect my grip.

Originally posted by Berserker
    Also I do them towards the end, so not to effect my grip. [/B]
    I learned this the hard way last time, I did forarms first and I could barley hold on to a dumbell afterwards

Thanks for the advice