The Five Biggest Contradictions in Fitness
Latest Article

The Five Biggest Contradictions in Fitness

Itís no secret that when people contradict themselves, it has the effect of making the flaws in their actions or statements seem glaringly obvious. But what about when WE ourselves get caught contradicting ourselves by someone else?

By: Nick Tumminello Added: January 6th, 2014
More Recent Articles
Contrast Training for Size
By: Lee Boyce
An Interview with Marianne Kane of Girls Gone Strong
By: Jordan Syatt
What Supplements Should I be Taking? By: Jay Wainwright
Bench Like a Girl By: Julia Ladewski
Some Thoughts on Building a Big Pull By: Christopher Mason

Facebook Join Facebook Group       Twitter Follow on Twitter       rss Subscribe via RSS

Thread: New to Forum...

Wannabebig Member

New to Forum...

Hello all. I have been trying to bulk now for about 3 weeks, with very little results. Below is an example of what I have been following. Any advice or insight would be greatly appreciated, as don't know why I wouldn't be gaining weight from this diet. Remember, be kind, I'm a beginner..lol Thanks!

M1-44 grams whey protein|1 cup oatmeal or cereal
    M2-4 scoops N-large|1 scoop of whey protein
    M3-Turkey Breast Sandwich|wheat pasta|banana
    Snack-Peanut Butter sandwich on wheat
    M4-4 scoops N-large| 1 scoop of whey protein
    M5-Chicken Breast|Rice|salad or veggie
    M6- 44 grams whey protein
    M7-1/2 cup oatmeal|apple

2.    Support Wannabebig and use AtLarge Nutrition Supplements!

Wannabebig Member
    If you want to gain weight, you definitely need to eat more kcals. It really is that simple.

That said, your diet needs some major modifications to be considered healthy or workable from a bodybuilding standpoint.

Derive most of your meals from whole food sources. Your whole food carbohydrate sources look relatively clean and should work fine. Go with brown or wild rice over white rice.

Add a lot of clean fat to your diet. You seem to be running on a nearly fat free diet. That is a bad call. Natty peanut butter, almond butter, cashew butter, mixed nuts, and extra virgin olive oil are good options. For saturaed fat I like to use whole eggs, modest amounts of butter and coconut butter. It is also very important to incorporate omega 3 fatty acids (essential). Use fish oil and/or flax oil. Fats are a great source of kcals when bulking.

I wouldn't use Nlarge or any other commercial weight gainer for that matter. If you did manage to consume enough Nlarge to help you gain weight, there is a good chance it would show up as fat. It is just sugar and some whey. As a rule of thumb, only use whey + high GI carb postworkout. Maltodextrin elicits one heck of an insulin spike. Incidentally, I am not quite sure how you have managed 8 scoops a day for 3 weeks without a trace of fat gain. You lucky sucker! Hope all this helps.
    Last edited by Scythian_Blade; 04-17-2003 at 11:43 PM.

Depends on how much u weight right now, and compare the two cals. but if u wanna gain weight, when in doubt eat.
    Life isn't like Burger King, you can't always have it your way.

for meal 7, i'd say get rid of the apple and replace it with a slow-digesting protein like cottage cheese.
    "Eat until it hurts dammit! Then eat more. Youll get used to it. I think its like sex for a chick. Sure it hurts the first time, but after a couple rides it just goes in like a glove." -clvmike19

"... chicks are like smarties. They're different colors but each share the same deliciousness. Its just a matter of deciding if you'll save the red ones for last or eat a bunch of different ones in the same handful." -wibble

Are you mixing the M6 in water or milk? I would recommend either mixing it with milk or eating something along with it to help slow the digestion of the whey. Also get more whole food as others have suggested. Add a couple of peanut butter sandwiches with a glass of milk which will boost your calorie intake.

Wannabebig Member

General Response

Hello to everyone. Thanks for the advice. To give you a better understanding, although I don't know all my stats, here are a basic few:

34|6'0|185pds|33 waist| high metab

First, when you claim that I don't have enough whole food, how does one substitute something like N-large with whole food and still have the same level of caloire intake? Unbelieveably, I have been taking 8 scoops NL with water dailey, and have yet to see much of anything.

Second, when you mentioned about the various types of fat sources, is it possible that the lack of those in my diet inhibited muscle growth and allowed me not to grow at all?

If possible, please organize my diet to more how it should look when in a bulking phase. Thanks!

Rich

try tuna and chicken both are high in protien.......use your supplements to do just that supplement your diet, i usely only have a protien shake when i dont have the time to eat the protien i should.

eating whole foods and lots of them is the key to gaining weight
    6'6" 235
    Follow me on Twitter!
    My Artist page
    Creatine is Overrated Social Group
    supplements are used to supplement!!
    "why do i train so hard? so i can play harder!"
    -kobe bryant

the stone cold stunner Ironman8's Avatar
    Fat is very important, for bodybuilding or not. Fat is needed to create hormones, new cells, and testerone. Also, fat is used as energy when your glyocgen levels are low. And you need Omega-3 and Omega-6 fatty acids in your diet because your body does not produce it by itself. So that's why you should take fish oil and flax supplements.
    You kill me in a dream, you better wake up and apologize....

Re: General Response

Originally posted by RSinz
    First, when you claim that I don't have enough whole food, how does one substitute something like N-large with whole food and still have the same level of caloire intake? Unbelieveably, I have been taking 8 scoops NL with water dailey, and have yet to see much of anything.
    Just try and find something that is calorically dense and have that instead of the N'Large. Try adding in whole food meals that contain lean protein sources and low GI carbs. Some good protein sources would include things like chicken, lean beef, eggs, fish, and dairy products. Some good carbs choices would be oats, sweet potatoes, pasta, beans, ww bread, rice, veggies, etc. Eat these types of foods in different combinations to get adequate amounts of calories. Also you can throw in some fat with some of your meals to help increase your intake of healthy fats and also will increase your calorie total.

Second, when you mentioned about the various types of fat sources, is it possible that the lack of those in my diet inhibited muscle growth and allowed me not to grow at all?
    The low fat intake could have inhibited muscle growth but I doubt that your current diet would have caused no muscle growth at all.

If possible, please organize my diet to more how it should look when in a bulking phase. Thanks!
    Follow some of the advice that others have given and try to rework your diet and then post it again. It is hard to design a diet without knowing your schedule food options, food preferences, etc.

Originally posted by Scythian_Blade
    You seem to be running on a nearly fat free diet.
    I think this is a bit of an exaggeration. The peanut butter sandwich probabably has about 17g fat. The 8 scoops N-large probably have about 12g fat. The 1.5g cups dry oats probably has about 8g fat. The pasta might have about 7g fat. Turkey breast sandwiches usually have oil and/or spread added. It might have about 5-10g fat. The chicken breast could have more than 20g fat, if the skin was not removed; but it would have far less with no skin. There is are small amounts of fat in other foods as well. I would expect that the diet has 55-85g fat (depending if skin on chicken and other factors). In a 3300 calorie diet, this would be ~15-25% of calories from fat. This is exactly the range that Lyle Mcdonald recommends in his baseline diet for bodybuilders.
    Last edited by aka23; 04-18-2003 at 01:06 PM.

Wannabebig Member
    Thanks for the correction aka. Definitely a lot more fat there than I realized. Didn't even see the peanut butter sandwich in there when I first read it. I think I have been running on a high fat diet for a little too long

the stone cold stunner Ironman8's Avatar
    How many grams of fat do you get a day Scythian
    You kill me in a dream, you better wake up and apologize....

Wannabebig Member
    On a significant calorie restricted cutting diet, ~160-180 grams/day. All from EV Olive oil, Nuts, Flax, whole eggs and fish oil. A modicum of meat fats + some coconut butter. Bulking...there's no telling =D

Banned

Re: New to Forum...

Originally posted by RSinz
    Hello all. I have been trying to bulk now for about 3 weeks, with very little results. Below is an example of what I have been following. Any advice or insight would be greatly appreciated, as don't know why I wouldn't be gaining weight from this diet. Remember, be kind, I'm a beginner..lol Thanks!

M1-44 grams whey protein|1 cup oatmeal or cereal
    M2-4 scoops N-large|1 scoop of whey protein
    M3-Turkey Breast Sandwich|wheat pasta|banana
    Snack-Peanut Butter sandwich on wheat
    M4-4 scoops N-large| 1 scoop of whey protein
    M5-Chicken Breast|Rice|salad or veggie
    M6- 44 grams whey protein
    M7-1/2 cup oatmeal|apple
    I agree with the others in that you'd be better off replacing the N Large with whole food, but if you choose not to can I ask why you would add an extra scoop of whey? N Large has 52 g of whey per serving already...what do you need another 20-25g for in the same meal?

I would say the biggest problem with that diet is the lack of fat. Other than the peanut butter in the sandwich you have no direct sources of it. I love it when people count the trace amounts from various things and act is though they make a huge difference in the overall scheme of things. When I have a cup of oats, I consider that 60 g of carbs...PERIOD. I don't care that there's 10 g of low biological value protein, or extremely small amounts of fat in there...those are entirely negligible. If I counted all the trace amounts of protein I get from various things everyday I'd be eating something like 400-500g of it...it's just ridiculous to think in these terms.

You need more fat in that diet from sources that would actually fall under the category of fats, ie., fish oil, flax oil, olive oil, almonds, natty pb, etc.

Also, as was previously suggested, make sure you are eating some protein in the last meal of the day. Cottage cheese would be an excellent choice, as would a few whole eggs.