The Five Biggest Contradictions in Fitness
Latest Article

The Five Biggest Contradictions in Fitness

Itís no secret that when people contradict themselves, it has the effect of making the flaws in their actions or statements seem glaringly obvious. But what about when WE ourselves get caught contradicting ourselves by someone else?

By: Nick Tumminello Added: January 6th, 2014
More Recent Articles
Contrast Training for Size
By: Lee Boyce
An Interview with Marianne Kane of Girls Gone Strong
By: Jordan Syatt
What Supplements Should I be Taking? By: Jay Wainwright
Bench Like a Girl By: Julia Ladewski
Some Thoughts on Building a Big Pull By: Christopher Mason

Facebook Join Facebook Group       Twitter Follow on Twitter       rss Subscribe via RSS
Results 1 to 13 of 13

Hybrid View

  1. #1
    Tiredly going Insane
    Join Date
    Apr 2003
    Location
    Oak Creek, Wisconsin
    Posts
    298

    how does this look for a cutting diet?

    1: Protien Shake, Meduim banana, pint of milk, strawberries, and 2 scoops whey protien.
    2: 6 oz chicken, 2 oz (before cooking so will be more after) of brown rice, broccoli or salad
    3: 6 oz chicken with 2 oz (uncooked weight) brown rice, broccoli or salad
    4: Same as 2
    5: Small tin of tuna, and salad

    Cals: 1740
    Protein: 186 grams (45%)
    Carbs: 159 grams (35%)
    Fat: 35 grams (19%)

    The fat is a little off because i removed some items. I plan on doin 12 weeks of tihs with 30 minutes of cardio or maybe 10-15 minutes of HIIT

  2.    Support Wannabebig and use AtLarge Nutrition Supplements!


  3. #2
    Wannabebig Member
    Join Date
    Mar 2003
    Posts
    44
    1740 kcals looks far too low for the start of a cut to me. What is your weight and % bodyfat? My guess is you are about 185 lbs =D.

    Also, you need more essential fatty acids. Add a good fish oil supplement to your diet. I like to go with a fairly substantial dose of 6-10 grams EPA/DHA combined daily. Some flax oil would not be a bad idea either. It looks like you are aiming for a 40/40/20 diet, and hence the fish oil would probably be a better and easier option than flax due to calorie concentration. Extra virgin olive oil would be a great choice to include for monounsaturates. Mixed nuts are a handy food as well. Your last meal of the day would be a great time to use some clean fats.

    Meals 2, 3, and 4 might need some variety..I am sure you can tweak that if you need to though. Make sure you are getting plenty of water each day (gallon+)

    Meal 1 looks like a postworkout meal to me. Milk sugar may not be your best bet here. Water is a viable alternative. You could go with a mixture of maltodextrin + whey postworkout. There are many options available here. I like the inclusion of strawberries in general because they are relatively low carb per serving size. You could even use some at another time in the day if you like. Some other berries work well too. Hope this helps.

    -Blade

  4. #3
    Tiredly going Insane
    Join Date
    Apr 2003
    Location
    Oak Creek, Wisconsin
    Posts
    298
    im 5'9.5 170-175. I was told to do 10x your body weight of cals. Also im tryin to do this as natural as possible. Another key factor is that my dad doesnt like the fact that im dieting. So im hopin he will go for this diet. thanks for the input,.

  5. #4
    II MrWebb78's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2003
    Location
    The Big Sac
    Posts
    5,954
    try 12 x your bodyweight for cutting, that looks like a starvation diet there. i would not drop the milk from the diet, milk may be a cutter enemy but still full of key nutrients.

    throw in a spoonful of natural peanut butter somewhere, to up the healthy fats, supplement with flaxoil is ok.

    youll get burnt out on chicken quick, dont be afraid of beef, just use the leaner cuts, and dont cook them in their own fat(bbq, foreman grill)

    make any additional calories from protein
    A patriot must always be ready to defend his country against his government. - Edward Abbey

    There is a wide difference between speaking to deceive, and being silent to be impenetrable. - Voltaire

    If it can be imagined, it can be done. - Me

    6'2"
    273 lbs.

  6. #5
    Wannabebig Member
    Join Date
    Mar 2003
    Posts
    44
    As a general rule of thumb, you definitely do not want to go below 10X bodyweight in kcals on a cut. A much smarter option would be to start around 13X bodyweight or so and reduce calories gradually if you have to. Starting at 10X bw, you have nothing to reduce to if you hit a plataeu and would be forced to refeed for a good while.

  7. #6
    confused by simplicity bradley's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2002
    Location
    Alabama
    Posts
    5,467
    I agree with the others in that you will probably need to increase your cals. Calculating daily caloric intake using formulas is not the most effecient way to figure out your daily caloric intake. Just slowly decrease calories each week in small increments until you are losing the desired amount of weight each week. For example, if you are currently eating 2500 cals a day then drop this to maybe 2200 for a week and see how much weight you have lost. Then the following week you could drop it to 2000 and again see how much weight you have lost. Continue this until you are losing about a pound a week. The formulas do not take into account things like activity level and metabolism.

    I would also recommend the fish oil over flax oil as far as omega 3's fats are concerned. You need to add some healthy fats into your diet.

  8. #7
    the stone cold stunner Ironman8's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2003
    Location
    Palmdale, C.A
    Posts
    2,570
    If your calories are too low, your metabolism will shut down. You will loose weight, but most of it will be water, and you'll gain most of it back when your back on your regular diet. Just some info
    You kill me in a dream, you better wake up and apologize....

  9. #8
    confused by simplicity bradley's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2002
    Location
    Alabama
    Posts
    5,467
    Originally posted by Ironman8
    If your calories are too low, your metabolism will shut down. You will loose weight, but most of it will be water, and you'll gain most of it back when your back on your regular diet. Just some info
    If your overall calories are too low you will more than likely be losing muscle as well as well as fat, and the muscle will not come back when you rersume a regular diet.

  10. #9
    Banned
    Join Date
    May 2002
    Location
    White Rock, B.C.
    Posts
    3,664
    Originally posted by Ironman8
    You will loose weight
    Why do so many people on this site spell lose incorrectly?

  11. #10
    the stone cold stunner Ironman8's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2003
    Location
    Palmdale, C.A
    Posts
    2,570
    Sorry, I didn't know I was being graded on my spelling Heh, I'll watch out for that later.
    You kill me in a dream, you better wake up and apologize....

  12. #11
    Banned
    Join Date
    May 2002
    Location
    White Rock, B.C.
    Posts
    3,664
    Originally posted by bradley
    Calculating daily caloric intake using formulas is not the most effecient way to figure out your daily caloric intake. Just slowly decrease calories each week in small increments until you are losing the desired amount of weight each week. For example, if you are currently eating 2500 cals a day then drop this to maybe 2200 for a week and see how much weight you have lost. Then the following week you could drop it to 2000 and again see how much weight you have lost. Continue this until you are losing about a pound a week. The formulas do not take into account things like activity level and metabolism.
    You and I are always on the same page with this on brad. Those formulas are generic, so the chance of one working for you is slim to none. You need to adjust the calories based on your past eating habits and your metabolism. When you go from a bulk to a cut, or from maintenance to a cut, don't just drop the cals down by huge amounts right off the bat. Shave off 700 cals a week (100 cals less per day than what you were eating before). This may extend your cut longer than you would have liked, but will ensure that all you are losing is fat, not muscle.

    I must point out that I disagree with your calorie reduction technique there brad. Dropping from 2500/day to 2200/day is way too big a drop imo. Even if you should be at 2200/day, taking it in smaller increments (down to 2400 first week, 2300 second week, then down to 2200) will give you far superior results. The goal of cutting is to be making progress while keeping your calories as HIGH as possible because to keep losing fat you're going to have to keep dropping them. If you do this too quickly, then you're going to be starving your body before you know it.

  13. #12
    confused by simplicity bradley's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2002
    Location
    Alabama
    Posts
    5,467
    Originally posted by Vido

    I must point out that I disagree with your calorie reduction technique there brad. Dropping from 2500/day to 2200/day is way too big a drop imo. Even if you should be at 2200/day, taking it in smaller increments (down to 2400 first week, 2300 second week, then down to 2200) will give you far superior results. The goal of cutting is to be making progress while keeping your calories as HIGH as possible because to keep losing fat you're going to have to keep dropping them. If you do this too quickly, then you're going to be starving your body before you know it.
    I agree in that the slower you drop cals the better. Although I also know that dropping cals that slowly could mean you end up dieting for a very long time.

  14. #13
    Banned
    Join Date
    May 2002
    Location
    White Rock, B.C.
    Posts
    3,664
    Originally posted by bradley


    I agree in that the slower you drop cals the better. Although I also know that dropping cals that slowly could mean you end up dieting for a very long time.
    No one likes dieting, but if I am going to put myself through it, I'm going to make sure it is done to the best of my ability no matter how long it takes. I would rather diet for a long time and lose negligible amounts of bodyfat than do a quick cut and lose 10lbs in a month or something, most of which would have been muscle (and water too I guess).

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •