Thread: weight loss and cutting

3:16

weight loss and cutting

who see weight loss and cutting as the same thing?

weight loss (for bbers) = you want to decrease your levels of fat. you can be bloated to high hell and still loose fat.

cutting = you cut when you have lost a lot of fat. this is mainly to get rid of EXCESS WATER and a bit more fat in the final days of your weight loss goal, mainly done pre-competition. this invloves getting dehydrated.

thats how I see it. But i read to many people saying this food or that food is bad for cutting, yet the person asking the question is trying to loose fat, not water at the present stage of their routine. you do not want to be dehydrated for like 8 weeks.
    so food X is not bad for them as its loaded with sodium as it does not stop them loosing fat. now if they were entering a show in couple of days it may not be advised as they want to loose that water.

your thoughts on this?
    my exprience - joined gym 10 years ago, 6 1/2 years hard weight training exprience.

I agree with you althoughI am probably guilty of using the term cutting to loosely. Most people are not trying to diet for a competition so I see your point. I personally am more concerned with body composition than water weight, bloating, etc. If I find something makes me feel bloated or retain a lot of water then I just replace that food(s) with something else that doesn't have this effect. Mainly this is just so I feel more comfortable because I hate feeling bloated all day. I pretty much eat the same thing whether I am trying to lose or gain, but the amount of food will decrease.

the stone cold stunner Ironman8's Avatar
    Ya, being bloated sucks. It seems that it's fat I gain, not water. But it's so hard not to eat anything with high sodium, especially for bodybuilders (i.e turkey, tuna, cheese, etc..)
    You kill me in a dream, you better wake up and apologize....

Originally posted by Ironman8
    Ya, being bloated sucks. It seems that it's fat I gain, not water. But it's so hard not to eat anything with high sodium, especially for bodybuilders (i.e turkey, tuna, cheese, etc..)
    The more food that you cook for yourself the easier it is to control things like sodium, added fat, preservatives, etc. Most of the time if it is something like canned foods or deli meat, etc. you can bet it is going to have a significant amount of sodium. Some products do offer a low sodium option which will end up costing you a little more most of the time.

I guess I must have had this wrong too... I always assumed that cutting meant to "cut fat" and that weightloss was something women did when their scale read too much. Weightloss, to me always indicated something different than pure fat loss, which is what we're after.

- Scott

Originally posted by Scott S
    I guess I must have had this wrong too... I always assumed that cutting meant to "cut fat" and that weightloss was something women did when their scale read too much. Weightloss, to me always indicated something different than pure fat loss, which is what we're after.

- Scott
    Whatever you want to call it, it all means about the same in the end. Reducing bf while maintaining LBM.

Banned
    Weight loss = the number on the scale dropping

Cutting = fat loss while retaining as much muscle as possible

Originally posted by Vido
    Weight loss = the number on the scale dropping

Cutting = fat loss while retaining as much muscle as possible
    but your not going to look cut, ripped while holding onto lots of water, so i feel to be properly cut you should be getting rid of water.

its not a big thing, it just that some writer on the net/magazine will be going on about actual pre-contest diets to get you cut, not fat loss diets which other foods may be eaten.
    my exprience - joined gym 10 years ago, 6 1/2 years hard weight training exprience.

Banned
    If one is eating a reasonably clean diet I don't know why one would be holding onto a very significant amount of water in the first place.

I think our idea of what constitutes a cut physique is different, body. If you are talking about a competing bodybuilder then of course this person is going to have to get rid of water too, but that happens in the last few days before the contest, so I still wouldn't really consider it part of the cut. I, on the other hand, am just referring to the recreational bodybuilder who is trying to look as good as possible, but isn't competing. If you fall into this latter category then I think your diet would need a serious makeover if the water you are holding is preventing you from looking ripped. The difference is that a competing bodybuilder needs to come in at 3-5% bodyfat in order to win the competition, whereas the recreational bodybuilder is going to look fairly ripped when he is sub-10%.
    Last edited by Vido; 04-19-2003 at 11:54 AM.

Originally posted by Vido
    If one is eating a reasonably clean diet I don't know why one would be holding onto a very significant amount of water in the first place.

I think our idea of what constitutes a cut physique is different, body. If you are talking about a competing bodybuilder then of course this person is going to have to get rid of water too, but that happens in the last few days before the contest, so I still wouldn't really consider it part of the cut. I, on the other hand, am just referring to the recreational bodybuilder who is trying to look as good as possible, but isn't competing. If you fall into this latter category then I think your diet would need a serious makeover if the water you are holding is preventing you from looking ripped. The difference is that a competing bodybuilder needs to come in at 3-5% bodyfat in order to win the competition, whereas the recreational bodybuilder is going to look fairly ripped when he is sub-10%.
    I am not competing, I am not on a diet either. Just making the point, that some people misread/interpret articles wrongly therefore omitting foods from a diet that our fine as article X said they were bad. But article X was for a competing BBers a couple of days before a show, not a some who want to look good for the summer.