Thread: Value of cheat day on extreme cut?

Value of cheat day on extreme cut?

Hey Everyone,

Once again, I am in need of your advice. I have been cutting hardcore for the past 2 weeks, and lost nearly 20 pounds. My primary goal in this proccess, is to drop as much bodyfat as possible. This proccess entails extreme amounts of cardio, and I find myself fatiguing a bit more each day. Until now, I have closely regulated my caloric intake, and this leads me to my question. Would a really good cheat day or even meal, be of much real value in replenishing my energy for cardio, without causing too much weight or fat gain? I realise I may be looking for an excuse to gorge for a meal or so, but would this have any real value or would it merely set me back, given my goal of fat loss? Thanks for your input, and I hope to hear from you.

If you've lost 20 pounds in 2 weeks, you lost a lot of muscle. Yes, a cheat meal is beneficial, and I would also suggest raising the calories a bit and losing at a slower rate.

You have lost 20lbs. in 2 weeks? First off you are losing weight way too fast IMO and probably sacrificing loads of muscle to lose that kind of weight.

With that being said I would recommend reading the sticky at the top of the forum which answers your question about cheat days and effects on metabolism. I would also recommend running a search on refeeds which would also be of interest I suspect.

I think cheat days are the least of your worries if in fact you did lose 20lbs. over 2 weeks. What does your diet and training schedule look like? What is your height, weight, and bf%?

Always in the Action Severed Ties's Avatar
    20 pounds in 2 weeks......

ST
    "Your bench makes Jesus cry." -Shark

This is 10% luck, 15% skill, 20% concentrated power of will, 5% pleasure and 50% pain, and 100% reason to remember the name...

Do that voodoo that he do
    Man, I'm surprised you can type.

Some of it is water weight, I'm sure.

What, exactly, did you do to manage it?

Next step: Stop doing it.

Once you've stopped, read up a little here on the Nutrition board.

Then come back with questions.

Re: Value of cheat day on extreme cut?

Originally posted by furious
    Hey Everyone,

Once again, I am in need of your advice. I have been cutting hardcore for the past 2 weeks, and lost nearly 20 pounds. My primary goal in this proccess, is to drop as much bodyfat as possible. This proccess entails extreme amounts of cardio, and I find myself fatiguing a bit more each day. Until now, I have closely regulated my caloric intake, and this leads me to my question. Would a really good cheat day or even meal, be of much real value in replenishing my energy for cardio, without causing too much weight or fat gain? I realise I may be looking for an excuse to gorge for a meal or so, but would this have any real value or would it merely set me back, given my goal of fat loss? Thanks for your input, and I hope to hear from you.
    I would expect that the majority of the weight loss is water. Perhaps you recently started a low carb diet. These types of diets are associated with a good amount of water loss at the start.

You mentioned that you "closely regulated your caloric intake." I am curious how many calories you are eating and how much you weigh. I would suggest not going on a very low calorie diet, and aiming to lose no more that about a lb per week (assuming you are not extremely overweight), ignoring water weight. This will help minimize muscle loss. It is also helpful to continue lifting, as well as doing cardio.

Good luck.
    Last edited by aka23; 04-20-2003 at 05:44 PM.

Hey,

Thanks for the replies. While I do appreciate your advice on my choice of diet, I am losing this weight for a specific deadline, and purpose. I am a mesomorph, therefore it is quite easy for me to both lose and shed weight and muscle. I am primarily concerned with weight loss and definition, which renders my diet a rather extreme means to an end. However, based upon my intentions and wish to diet in this state, would a "cheat day" be of any practical benefit? This is really my only concern, so I would appreciate any advice on this question. Thank you very much, and I await your continued replies.

the stone cold stunner Ironman8's Avatar
    If you're gonna have a cheatday after an "extreme diet", you will gain most of that weight back.
    You kill me in a dream, you better wake up and apologize....

how so?

how so?
    Well 20llbs in 2 weeks. I have been dieting for 8 weeks and have lost only about 10llbs.

A cheat day will not make you gain the fat back nessecarily but it should add to the scale. If done right you can actually gain a little muscle and not gain any fat but it would depend t=on the type of diet you were on. Post more specifics on what you did and how low have you dropped overall calories and what you ate.

I would suggest a 3 day refeed of over maintence cals on clean foods. Mainly coming from carbs add about 1 gram of protein per pont and 30% should come from "healthy fats"

Then readjust your diet after to prevent losing any more muscle.

the stone cold stunner Ironman8's Avatar
    Well, most of that weight was probably water, which you'll gain back after your cheatday. Plus, your metabolism is probably really messed up.
    You kill me in a dream, you better wake up and apologize....

Hey,

Thanks for the replies. While I do appreciate your advice on my choice of diet, I am losing this weight for a specific deadline, and purpose. I am a mesomorph, therefore it is quite easy for me to both lose and shed weight and muscle. I am primarily concerned with weight loss and definition, which renders my diet a rather extreme means to an end. However, based upon my intentions and wish to diet in this state, would a "cheat day" be of any practical benefit? This is really my only concern, so I would appreciate any advice on this question. Thank you very much, and I await your continued replies.
    I think more information is needed before an accurate response can be given. What type of diet are you on? What is your height, weight, bf%? How many cals are you consuming per day, and what does your training routine look like (how many days of cardio and weights)?