The Five Biggest Contradictions in Fitness
Latest Article

The Five Biggest Contradictions in Fitness

Itís no secret that when people contradict themselves, it has the effect of making the flaws in their actions or statements seem glaringly obvious. But what about when WE ourselves get caught contradicting ourselves by someone else?

By: Nick Tumminello Added: January 6th, 2014
More Recent Articles
Contrast Training for Size
By: Lee Boyce
An Interview with Marianne Kane of Girls Gone Strong
By: Jordan Syatt
What Supplements Should I be Taking? By: Jay Wainwright
Bench Like a Girl By: Julia Ladewski
Some Thoughts on Building a Big Pull By: Christopher Mason

Facebook Join Facebook Group       Twitter Follow on Twitter       rss Subscribe via RSS
    Wannabebig Member

Upper/lower dichotomy

Most people who are training are trying to either bulk up or cut down. My situation is a little different. Here are the details...

I weigh about 225 lbs. with around 11% BF. For the most part I'm happy with my physique. However, my upper body has always been disproportionately bigger than my lower body. I would like to bulk up my legs (especially my calves) while at the same time not adding much size to my upper body and bringing my overall bodyfat down.

In the last year or so I've done approx. two lower body workouts for each upper body workout. This has helped but the gap still exists between my upper body size and my lower body size. I'm wondering if there's something missing here that might allow me to balance out a bit better. Perhaps higher rep sets for upper body?

If anyone has any ideas or has successfully battled this problem before, please reply. Thanks!

2.    Support Wannabebig and use AtLarge Nutrition Supplements!

How often do you work your legs, what exactly does your routine look like..? Might as well get those questions out of the way.

And I don't think that working upper body less, or doing high reps is the perfect solution. Sure, it'll make your upper body smaller so more proportional, but it won't help your legs any. Also, if your upper body grew so quick at the beginning, it'll probably slow down in growth now. Thinking you need to worry about what to do to make your legs grow, not how to make your upper body smaller.

So, what have you tried for legs in the past? What doesn't work for you?
    LaLa

One word: squats ...well, two words: heavy squats

Wannabebig Member
    OK, but I'll warn you that it's a bit unorthodox.

Monday
    Calves - 30 minutes, typically standing calf press and seated calf press (I try to follow the info in Arnold's Encyclopedia of Modern Bodybuilding as he seemed to do a good job of getting skinny calves bigger)
    Hamstrings - Straight-legged deadlifts usually with some leg curls to finish off

Wednesday
    Squats - 10 sets of 5 reps each (this was a routine featured in Muscle Media a while back that I like, my quads have responded well to this and are getting pretty close to where I want to be)
    Calves - 15 minutes, same as Monday except less sets

Friday
    Calves - same as Monday
    Lats, Shoulders, Upper Back - I do the Body For Life routine for these body parts

Saturday
    Chest, Tris, Bis, Forearm - Body for Life again

I'll do abs 3x/week or so either after one of these workouts or on an off-day.

I typically do cardio 2x-3x/week. Either HIIT or full-court basketball.

I'm eating 5x-6x/day. Typically three or four solid-food meals and one or two protein or mass-gaining shakes.

Supplementing with 5g of creatine and 10g of glutamine post-workout as well as vitamins/anti-oxidants.
    Last edited by DannyOcean; 04-23-2003 at 12:35 PM.

Wannabebig Member
    Originally posted by Fenbay
    One word: squats ...well, two words: heavy squats
    I do squats and am working my way up to heavier weights while trying to maintain good form so as to prevent injury. To be honest, my quads are responding and I'm not that far away from being where I want to be. I'm fairly confident that if I stay the course with squats I'll be right about where I want to be in 3 months or less.

It seems that what a lot of this boils down to is improving my calves. It sounds strange to say that at 225 lbs., I feel that my calves are too skinny but that's what it seems like to me.

A bit unorthodox is the best way to say it by all means.. I'm taking a guess you've tried lower volume on those legs (calves and quads.. cause that's a lot of time and sets your talking) and it didn't work?

What I'm trying right now for my own (seeing as I don't respond great to 2-3 sets once a week, is twice a week with one typical "keep at this weight, do this many sets x this many reps" and the other day doing a drop set, or a anti-drop set (start low, do 15, and keep adding weight till I can't get 10. No rest). So far not bad results, but then that's me. Is what your doing giving you results?

And while squats are a beautiful exercise, I'd almost consider doing half those sets and tossing in something a little more isolated. But then, it's working for you, so maybe I wouldn't worry about that.
    LaLa

Equal Opportunity Offender Budiak's Avatar
    Or just get implants.

Like Arnold did.

*puts on flak jacket

I think calves have a TON to do with genetics. Like any muscle I'm sure they can be made larger by good work, but calves for some reason seem especially genetic.

I was lucky enough to get huge calves. In fact, while my BF% is way too high right now my calves have always stayed striated and ultra defined compared to my biceps etc. So based on some of that anecdotal information I tend to think it's luck of the draw.

I do think, however, that with the right routine/diet/supps etc anyone can build upon what they have to work with.