Thread: Problems with Squat Max

Wannabebig New Member

Problems with Squat Max

My squat max has gone down over the past year and i have no idea why. I work out alot and all my other maxes have gone up alot.

Right now my BENCH MAX IS THE SAME AS MY SQUAT MAX

I am 15 years old, 135 lbs and can bench 195 and only squat 195....

A year ago my bench max was 165 and squat 230

Any one know what could be wrong? I work at squat and other lower body exercises just as much as my upper body

I am also taking accutane which is a very strong medication for acne, one of the side effects is muscle pains but the doctor told me to just take ibuprofen or something like it everyday. Also, when I last maxed out, i had had ingrown toenails taken off 3 days before and had pain medicine injected into my toes when the nails were removed, could this of effected my max even more?

Don`t max out just do reps and keep adding weight when possible.This way your squat goes up steadily and you`ll build legs.Too many young guy`s alway`s go for a max.Unless you are a powerlifter this is of no great importance.

hard to say, how often and what sort of reps/sets do you do to train for both ?

Wannabebig New Member
    both squat and bench i do every other day, the days i dont do them i do other things like incline or power cleines. Usually if i dont have football or track practice I do all 4 in one day, 2 in morning and 2 in evening. I also do other auxiliary things twice a day. On weekends i usually just rest.

At school we max officially about 5 times a year (2 in the summer). On all the other days they give us the workouts to do. The days after we max its usually a light workout like 4 sets of 8 at 60% but then every week the percentages get higher and the reps lower, most of the time the workouts are like

2 sets of 5 at 80%, then 3 sets of 3 at 90% or something like that

when not at school i just do 4 sets of 5 at 80%

Of the driver ilk
    Unless you take steroids, you are overtraining.
    "42"

you answered your own question, stop lifting so darn much and rest
    A patriot must always be ready to defend his country against his government. - Edward Abbey

There is a wide difference between speaking to deceive, and being silent to be impenetrable. - Voltaire

If it can be imagined, it can be done. - Me

6'2"
    273 lbs.

Wannabebig New Member
    but then why would i get stronger in everything else except squat?

your legs are bigger, they need more rest

actually i dont know, could be a mental block, i still say rest more, even if you are stronger elsewhere
    A patriot must always be ready to defend his country against his government. - Edward Abbey

There is a wide difference between speaking to deceive, and being silent to be impenetrable. - Voltaire

If it can be imagined, it can be done. - Me

6'2"
    273 lbs.

Leg recovery takes a long time for most people. Between the fact that they're large muscles and the fact that, even on rest days, you use them a great deal (sitting down, standing up, walking, running, standing in place... they don't get much rest), they'll recover more slowly than your chest and triceps.
    "Except Belial. He knows everything. This isn't a sarcastic attack, either. He really knows everything." -----Organichu
    "Alex is all knowing and perfect"-----Jane (loosely paraphrased)
    -515/745/700 bench/deadlift/squat
    Current mile time: 4:23
    Marathons: 3
    Century races: 3
    Ironmans: 1
    Ultramarathons: 1
    Current supps: http://www.atlargenutrition.com/prod...covery/results

I agree with Belial your legs never really rest. My legs are generally sore for the next 2 days. Maybe cut back and up the intensity. Sometimes when stuck I've added weight. Never beleived this would work until I did it.

damn, every other day. u one crazy kid, u must be hurtin all the time
    Life isn't like Burger King, you can't always have it your way.

I'd say you need to get a real program to use. The way you are training right now, gains will be few and far between. Look at WBB Routine #1, or perhaps even Westside.