The Five Biggest Contradictions in Fitness
Latest Article

The Five Biggest Contradictions in Fitness

Itís no secret that when people contradict themselves, it has the effect of making the flaws in their actions or statements seem glaringly obvious. But what about when WE ourselves get caught contradicting ourselves by someone else?

By: Nick Tumminello Added: January 6th, 2014
More Recent Articles
Contrast Training for Size
By: Lee Boyce
An Interview with Marianne Kane of Girls Gone Strong
By: Jordan Syatt
What Supplements Should I be Taking? By: Jay Wainwright
Bench Like a Girl By: Julia Ladewski
Some Thoughts on Building a Big Pull By: Christopher Mason

Facebook Join Facebook Group       Twitter Follow on Twitter       rss Subscribe via RSS
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Hybrid View

how fast do you down your PWO shake?

do you guys drink it all like within 5 minutes of finishing your workout. or do you drink like half in the first few minutes, and then sip on it afterwords for a while?
    "Eat until it hurts dammit! Then eat more. Youll get used to it. I think its like sex for a chick. Sure it hurts the first time, but after a couple rides it just goes in like a glove." -clvmike19

"... chicks are like smarties. They're different colors but each share the same deliciousness. Its just a matter of deciding if you'll save the red ones for last or eat a bunch of different ones in the same handful." -wibble

2.    Support Wannabebig and use AtLarge Nutrition Supplements!

I drink the whole thing down in about 5 minutes.

:withstupi

2.3 seconds.......j/k probley 5-10mins
    6'6" 235
    Follow me on Twitter!
    My Artist page
    Creatine is Overrated Social Group
    supplements are used to supplement!!
    "why do i train so hard? so i can play harder!"
    -kobe bryant

I usually get my whey protein shake about 20 minutes after I finish my workout. If I am taking creatine or glutamine while bulking, I try to mix that with dextrose and shake it up in my bottle and drink it on the way home. Then I mix my whey protein shake. How long does it take me to drink it? Oh, about 1 minute GULP GULP.
    peace-

Craig

I chug it down in a few seconds. Just bring a shaker with powder in it and add water to it as I leave the gym. I usually have it finished before I start my car.
    Deadlifts are like women, they'll hurt you everytime, but they'll also make you a man. - Me

Friends don't let friends do dumbell kickbacks. - Me

ElP is the smartest man in the world. - Gyno Rhino

A low voter turnout is an indication of fewer people going to the polls. -- Dan Quayle

If do right, no can defense. -- Mr. Miyagi

Deep Thoughts by Jack Handey:

I can picture in my mind a world without war, a world without hate. And I can picture us attacking that world, because they'd never expect it.

Is there anything more beautiful than a beautiful, beautiful flamingo, flying across in front of a beautiful sunset? And he's carrying a beautiful rose in his beak, and also he's carrying a very beautiful painting with his feet. And also, you're drunk.

Current FFFA Enforcer

I put my protien/dextrose/creatine all into my bottle leave it in the locker room, after I workout I go into the locker room fill that mother up and chug it down like no tomorrow.

Originally posted by ElPietro
    I chug it down in a few seconds. Just bring a shaker with powder in it and add water to it as I leave the gym. I usually have it finished before I start my car.
    :withstupi
    Check out my Training Journal HERE

105kg Open IPF Classic Provincial record holder in the squat, bench, deadlift, and total.

I drink it down in a couple minutes. Sip it? WTF are you at a tea party?

MACHINE
    I down it in about 20 seconds because I can. It's not convenient to sip something out of a blender or huge 40 oz cup, and my big shakes don't usually taste great, so it's not enjoyable to sip either.
    "He's the best damn rollerskater that ever lived...probably in the whole town" - Chris Pontius

If you can't be with the one you love, love the one you're with.

5'10" 215 lbs
    Personal Bests:
    Bench 355
    Squat 505
    Deadlift 560

Originally posted by Berserker
    LMAO......yeah and do the little thing with your pinky too.
    6'6" 235
    Follow me on Twitter!
    My Artist page
    Creatine is Overrated Social Group
    supplements are used to supplement!!
    "why do i train so hard? so i can play harder!"
    -kobe bryant

Originally posted by BennettBoy
    I usually get my whey protein shake about 20 minutes after I finish my workout
    Me too, I wait till I get home before I take it. Is that within a good enough time frame?
    "We fight our battles, we wage our wars, we settle the score, with honor and blood" - Atreyu

Dontate to my favorite charity!

the stone cold stunner Ironman8's Avatar
    I like to savor mine. So about 5 minutes.
    You kill me in a dream, you better wake up and apologize....

Originally posted by Berserker
    no, it was becuase of an article someone wrote about how fast you shold drink your PWO shake. It was kind of interesting, and brought up a couple points. (right now im at school) but when i get home ill find the article and post it.
    "Eat until it hurts dammit! Then eat more. Youll get used to it. I think its like sex for a chick. Sure it hurts the first time, but after a couple rides it just goes in like a glove." -clvmike19

"... chicks are like smarties. They're different colors but each share the same deliciousness. Its just a matter of deciding if you'll save the red ones for last or eat a bunch of different ones in the same handful." -wibble

Gen_chat worst nightmare
    I can't remember now, but I think I read that the carbs need to be mixed with saliva to aid in the digestive process and thus drinking it all in one sitting can lead to gas problems due to impaired digestion. Anyone knows if this is true? I had gas problems when I was drinking shakes fast and they do have disapeared so it might be true.

For the record I am not gonna worry about it. The only reason I can see to drink a protein shake slow is spread out protein intake. Which would probably be good throughout the day, as a meal, but not after a work out.
    As far as the salavia thing, don't even care.

no, it wasnt about saliva. it involved drinking it too fast, and causing too fast of an insulin spike, and then you end up suffering from a serious drop of energy, and thats when extra fat can get stored, and that drinking half of the shake right away, and then sipping on the rest of it for 30-45 minutes can help prevent the sudden spike and loss of energy, which will help store less fat? i dunno, like i said, ill find the article when i get home so everyone can have a good read

I drink it after I stretch for 5 minutes, so I usually have it down by ~10 minutes after workout, with some fruit too
    should try n take it within 30 minutes of finishing workout though
    My profile picture is about 5 years old, I'll get around to taking some progress pics eventually.

Originally posted by ElPietro
    yup yup
    Blocka Blocka

I am AMINAL

Originally posted by GhettoSmurf
    no, it wasnt about saliva. it involved drinking it too fast, and causing too fast of an insulin spike, and then you end up suffering from a serious drop of energy, and thats when extra fat can get stored, and that drinking half of the shake right away, and then sipping on the rest of it for 30-45 minutes can help prevent the sudden spike and loss of energy, which will help store less fat? i dunno, like i said, ill find the article when i get home so everyone can have a good read
    Y

ou could just drink your shake, which will cause an insulin spike but then approximately an hour or so later have a regular whole food meal which will help stabilize insulin levels and avoid the sudden drop in energy.

You would have to consume a large amount of carbs postworkout for them to be stored as fat.

Wannabebig Member
    what kind of shakes do you guys make?

i usually go home, throw some strawberries, nonfat yogurt, a banana, ice, whey, etc. into the blender. it comes out to about 56 ounces or 7 cups. fills up my jamba juice cup to the brim and it comes out THICK. i don't think i could chug that very quick if i tried. i was under the impression you had a 1 hr window after your workout and i'm usually done with it just under, but it looks like maybe i should try and finish it sooner.

if i'm in a rush i'll buy one of those protein shakes at the gym, those i easily down in a single gulp though.

Originally posted by ZeroBurn
    what kind of shakes do you guys make?
    I usually just throw some whey protein and dextrose in a shaker. The whole idea is to get something that is fast digesting so as to get nutrients to you muscles as quickly as possible after a workout.

MACHINE
    Post workout, there's no such thing as too fast of an insulin spike. You want the spike as fast as possible to nourish your glycogen depleted muscles. Any loss of energy after an insulin spike is the result of plummeting blood glucose levels. With low levels of insulin and glucose(two major proponents of fat storage) and a raised metabolism, at no time is storing fat less likely.
    "He's the best damn rollerskater that ever lived...probably in the whole town" - Chris Pontius

5'10" 215 lbs
    Personal Bests:
    Bench 355
    Squat 505
    Deadlift 560

Originally posted by gino

Post workout, there's no such thing as too fast of an insulin spike. You want the spike as fast as possible to nourish your glycogen depleted muscles. Any loss of energy after an insulin spike is the result of plummeting blood glucose levels. With low levels of insulin and glucose(two major proponents of fat storage) and a raised metabolism, at no time is storing fat less likely.
    yeah, i re-reaad the article, and they basically talked about it as if you wernt planning on having a "meal" after your PWO shake. and like bradley said earlier, you eat around an hour or so after to help stabilize insulin levels, and not suffer the sudden "drop" of energy.

MACHINE

yeah, i re-reaad the article, and they basically talked about it as if you wernt planning on having a "meal" after your PWO shake. and like bradley said earlier, you eat around an hour or so after to help stabilize insulin levels, and not suffer the sudden "drop" of energy.
    I actually love the energy drop because it assists me in my "post workout nap," which I take on a regular basis. If you have stuff to do after your workout, it sucks, but I try to keep an hour or two free in the early evening to indulge in some snoozing on the couch after my workout. Then I wake up and throw a fat steak on the grill...damn, these are my favorite hours of the day - 5:30 workout through 8:30 steaktime

5'10" 215 lbs
    Personal Bests:
    Bench 355
    Squat 505
    Deadlift 560